Sockets for PvP - pvp power vs intellect?

So, I've noticed some good retri pala's on my server have been fitting their sockets with as much pvp power as they can, I've not seen any decent mages yet, and so don't know how to socket :P
    I know in cata, the goal was to socket to about 9k spell power, then start socketing some pvp power. But what about MoP?

15+ Year Old Account
    With the rework.. pvp power is king.

Does anyone have any legit backing up for pure pvp power? I don't doubt that you need a ton of it to counter that innate 40% resilience as well as the resil on gear. I've looked around on the official forms as well as the arenajunkies forums and I get so many mixed results. Some people say get XX amount of SP unbuffed and ungemmed before getting more PvP power or some say just gem straight PvP power.

So far the only thing with any semblance of agreement is that we gem
    Red socket - 80 int 160 pvp power
    Yellow - 160 pvp power 160 pvp resil
    Blue - 320 pvp power

Can anyone confirm this?

Deleted
    " So I suppose this is kind of important and seen a lot of people wondering which gems to use
    It all depends on your spell power and how valuable crit is to you.

What you want to work out is the % increase from a single point of intel and the % increase from a single point of pvp power (1/265)

Seeing as pvp power gems give double you need it to be worth at least double intel because of the crit gained from intel (which can't be calculated in because of preferences, caps, spells etc blabla)
    So 1 intel as a percentage increase of spellpower would be 105/spellpower by default, 111/spellpower with intel or 116/spellpower if you include kings/monkshit/motw.

When that number is lower than the % from each point of pvp power then the DIRECT increase from intel is not as much as PvP power.
    You obviously don't need to reach that level because you get double from gems. So the point you are looking for is when the int sp % increase is is less than double that of pvp power (1/530).

So unbuffed you are looking at: 105*265/2 = 13913 spell power
    Intel: 111*265/2 = 14708 spell power
    Intel and kings/motw/monkcrap = 116*265/2 = 15370 spell power
    Above these values the direct increase from Intel is less than that of PvP Power.
    Again: This EXCLUDES the crit from intel.

Now... Set bonuses. Lets say there is a set bonus of 50 intel: You are now comparing 130 intel to 160 pvp power and so the intercept changes.
    160/(80+50) = 1.230769
    For example, unbuffed: 105*265/1.230769 = 22608 spell power
    So somewhere above 22608 spell power that set bonus is no longer viable and that point depends on how much you value the crit from that 130 intel.

Keep in mind that the % increase of spell power increases the damage of your spells based on the specific calculations and therefore does not include constants.
    These constants are different on every spell so if you want to work out the increase on a specific spell, use that.
    SUPA IMPORTANT: Having a higher spell power coefficient in a spell does not make spell power any more viable than PvP power because you are comparing percentage increases.

TLDR;
    This all depends on how valuable crit is to you as well as the constant damage value of the spell you are casting.
    Unbuffed: PvP Power gems are better than int gems somewhere over 13913 spell power
    Intel: PvP Power gems are better than int gems somewhere over 14708 spell power
    Intel + kings/wtfever: PvP Power gems are better than int gems somewhere over 15370 spell power "
    SOURCE ARENAJUNKIES
    i hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by alexvladv View Post
    " So I suppose this is kind of important and seen a lot of people wondering which gems to use

What you want to work out is the % increase from a single point of intel and the % increase from a single point of pvp power (1/265)

Seeing as pvp power gems give double you need it to be worth at least double intel because of the crit gained from intel (which can't be calculated in because of preferences, caps, spells etc blabla)
    So 1 intel as a percentage increase of spellpower would be 105/spellpower by default, 111/spellpower with intel or 116/spellpower if you include kings/monkshit/motw.

When that number is lower than the % from each point of pvp power then the DIRECT increase from intel is not as much as PvP power.
    You obviously don't need to reach that level because you get double from gems. So the point you are looking for is when the int sp % increase is is less than double that of pvp power (1/530).

Above these values the direct increase from Intel is less than that of PvP Power.

Now... Set bonuses. Lets say there is a set bonus of 50 intel: You are now comparing 130 intel to 160 pvp power and so the intercept changes.
    160/(80+50) = 1.230769
    So somewhere above 22608 spell power that set bonus is no longer viable and that point depends on how much you value the crit from that 130 intel.

Keep in mind that the % increase of spell power increases the damage of your spells based on the specific calculations and therefore does not include constants.
    These constants are different on every spell so if you want to work out the increase on a specific spell, use that.
    SUPA IMPORTANT: Having a higher spell power coefficient in a spell does not make spell power any more viable than PvP power because you are comparing percentage increases.

TLDR;
    This all depends on how valuable crit is to you as well as the constant damage value of the spell you are casting.
    Unbuffed: PvP Power gems are better than int gems somewhere over 13913 spell power
    Intel + kings/wtfever: PvP Power gems are better than int gems somewhere over 15370 spell power "
    SOURCE ARENAJUNKIES
    i hope it helps
    That post is not exactly correct. However, the point is. In full pvp gear, you will hit harder if all your red slots are purple gems and all blue slots are pvp power. If you don't mind the resilience loss, put a pvp power gem in there. The int socket bonuses you should get, as this will slightly increase your damage vs foregoing them. In yellow slots, pvp power/mastery gems are best. This is for the highest damage build.

So what you are saying is that pvp power is always better than int. In blue pvp grear we have way more than 15000sp. So pvp power will always be better as along a we are talking about lvl 90 pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by alexvladv View Post

160/(80+50) = 1.230769

TLDR;
    SOURCE ARENAJUNKIES
    i hope it helps

That is correct. PvP should outweigh intellect for the rest of the expansion. Think of it like this. 1.21% increase in damage per pvp power gem. Once the int gems no longer provide that much of an increase (considering when they are modified by mastery and pvp power) you should go full pve power from that point foward. That is right at 15k spellpower.