Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've never done an IQ test but I'd imagine it's way below normal.
    ——————▲—————▲———
    ————————————————
    ———▼—————▼——————
    —Ⓐ—————Ⓐ————————

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about IQ testing is that only the outliers are ever tested, so most people who know their scores are going to be above average... I've never met anyone who knew they had a 100 IQ, or even lower than like 125, even though it's designed so that the average intelligence will score 100. Also: most people have it done when they're young and schools tell parents not to tell their children their scores, which is just the dumbest thing.
    As for the people saying it doesn't matter because of the lack of accuracy, I tend to think IQ measures something accurately. It's just not something that has a lot of weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I don't think it goes up that high, so... >_<"
    Yeah huh, the highest people in the world are like 200-210.
    Last edited by rethea; 2012-10-09 at 03:55 AM.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a 202. I did one of those cool online IQ tests and I'm smarter than everyone on this planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    No one scores that high, they would certainly tell you if your IQ was above 130, 200+ is significantly smarter than people like Einstein, Hawking, Newton and everyone else that people perceive as smart.
    For reference, a standardised score of 130 (potentially) gets you into Mensa. But in my case I think the school made a policy of not telling the students.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it goes up that high, so... >_<"
    It does, we have A person alive today that has slightly over 200, and the unproven smartest person in the world (William James Sidis) had an estimated IQ of about 250, though that's just speculation.

Deleted
    Looking at the average IQ's per country, where most Asian countries have the highest score in the world with a score of around 105 on average.. you all sure must be very intelligent...

For reference, a standardised score of 130 (potentially) gets you into Mensa. But in my case I think the school made a policy of not telling the students.
    So did mine. They did use the tests to segregate us into different classes though. Yay?

Lol, this is 2012. The only reason for someone to take an IQ test now days is if they are gifted at a young age or seem to be. I don't know a single person that has ever taken a real legitimate IQ test.

It does, we have A person alive today that has slightly over 200
    Who's that?

William James Sidis
    His scores aren't standardised like what we talk about nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't realize official IQ tests actually tell you what it is. I figure most people who have been tested don't know how high it is.

I took one online once, and got around 135. But, it wasn't a real one, and you can't really judge based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I didn't realize official IQ tests actually tell you what it is. I figure most people who have been tested don't know how high it is.

I took one online once, and got around 135. But, it wasn't a real one, and you can't really judge based on that.
    If you go take an official one, you will know what you scored. If you took one in school in the US, I don't believe they release the scores, but they do tell your parents where you fall in a range of below-average, average, or above-average.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who's that?

His scores aren't standardised like what we talk about nowadays.
    I know, that's why I said it was just speculation, he never actually took the test. I don't remember who the guy with 200+ IQ is, but it was some Asian physicist who rejects the idea that IQ is a valid interpretation of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Skabbo View Post
    I had an IQ test when I was 11 as a prerequisite for the "extension" class at my K-12 school. I got an above average IQ of 132.

That said, IQ really doesn't have all that much substance, I have a friend who has an IQ of 160 and he bombed out of highschool and now works at the local supermarket. One of my Uncles actually had a similar IQ of about 158 and he also dropped out of school, got on drugs, and now may be dead.

Holding superiority over anyone purely based on your IQ is laughable, simply because it is in no way an indication of your "superiority" as a human being and definitely doesn't reflect any success you may have in your life.
    Your friend and uncle aren't anywhere close to those numbers. An IQ of 160 is simply way, way, waaaaaaay up there well beyond 99.9999999% of people. People like that don't really live just normal lives. Even if one them were that high, the odds of you knowing -another- person that high would be astronomical, virtually impossible due to simple odds.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

If you go to a real one, with a psychologist you will know the score...but it runs you about a 1000 bucks

Lowest score I've had was about 125 highest about 165. But those are online tests so who knows.

My thoughts on intelligence: intelligence generally means jack shit. I've met dumb fucks with high paying jobs and awesome lives. I've met very smart people who are depressed as hell, overweight and work in a grocery store. Whereas the first guy is achieving in life, the second guy is wasting his. Intelligence is your capacity and speed of learning, if you don't utilise it then the guy with 90 IQ is going to be more knowledgeable, more interesting, in better shape and far more self aware than the dude with 150 IQ who can't get out of his self centered emotional issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, everyone who has said their IQ so far is in the 97th percentile or better. That seems likely.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how valid this is, but it looks...okay: http://ngureco.hubpages.com/hub/Worl...-Ever-Recorded

I remember that Marilyn vos Savant was my neighbor once, who's generally considered in the top 5 most intelligent people alive.

They tested us at school but didn't release the results to the students because of the obvious bullying that would cause :P

So I have no idea.

IQ tests are not a reliable indicator of intelligence by the way. For a start it's almost impossible to get people to actually agree on a definition of "intelligence", it's an almost entirely subjective quality.

I've never taken one, but I think it's logical to assume that mine is VERY low. I'm sure most people haven't taken a REAL IQ test.
    Er... 100% on an IQ test is population average, if your score is "VERY low" then you are very seriously mentally handicapped. In fact mental retardation is generally defined as an IQ score below 70.

I know, that's why I said it was just speculation, he never actually took the test. I don't remember who the guy with 200+ IQ is, but it was some Asian physicist who rejects the idea that IQ is a valid interpretation of intelligence.
    I suppose 200+ IQ is possible theoretically, but on a probabilistic level it's about 1 in a billion chance.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Your friend and uncle aren't anywhere close to those numbers. An IQ of 160 is simply way, way, waaaaaaay up there well beyond 99.9999999% of people. People like that don't really live just normal lives. Even if one them were that high, the odds of you knowing -another- person that high would be astronomical, virtually impossible due to simple odds.
    This is not true at all, I know several people including my dad who scored in the 160 range multiple times. You would be quite surprised at who all has high IQs...