Question Need some advice with First Gaming Build

Ok, I have read tons of posts on this site after being referred by a friend and learned a lot. I pretty much have decided on everything I want to put in. I will be using it for gaming primarily but also for sound recording. I want it to be good enough that I can game with reasonably good settings for a while into the future. Sorry for the bad linking but it won't let me put up real links yet

Mobo: Asus p8z77-V LK LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel mobo: $74.99 AR

microcenter.com/product/393422/P8Z77-V_LK_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Core I5 3570K 3.4GHZ LGA 1155 Processor: $189.99
    microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor
    GPU: ASUS GTX 670-DC2T w/borderlands bundle: $439.99 AR
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3907689&sku=A455-0672%20BORDER
    Heatsink : Noctua NH-D14 Cooler: $84.99
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5592441&CatId=798
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB: $53.99
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=744455
    Optical Drive: Samsung 22x Internal DVDRW: $19.99
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1822529&CatId=1624
    HD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 7200RPM: $119
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076939&CatId=2459
    PSU: Corsair TX650M: $126
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=872682
    Case: Corsair Storm Trooper: $139.99
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1439959

The only restrictions I have is I don't want to spend much more money, and I have to buy most of this stuff from TigerDirect.. to take advantage of their financing. I also don't care so much about looks as functionality.

Here are my questions:
    1) For the GPU I am paying the extra for the 4gb gpu with the idea that in the future it will still hold up. Is this logical or by time I need 4GB Vram for gaming will this card be obsolete?
    2) For the case I am open to any suggestions. I would like to keep it around this price range. My main concern is I want enough room to in the future house: An SSD, A BlueRay Drive, and a top line sound card for recording. The thing I can't figure out is do I need a full ATX tower or can I get by with a Mid ATX Tower. I want to house everything with plenty of ventilation so I don't have to worry at all about overheating. Either way is there better cases out there than this in the price range?
    3) For the MOBO.. would it be worth it to shell out another 90 bucks for a ASUS Sabertooth Z77. What would be the main benefits.
    4) For the Ram.. is there a better brand out there around this price?? I just ended up with the vengeance based on prior recommendations but would have to get the lp to fit the noctua, and will have to pay about 9 bucks more on Tiger for the LP.
    5) I would appreciate any opinions on the build in general, but am really stuck on the prior listed questions.

Thanks for your input, I couldn't have attempted a build without this site and its members

Kyle
    Last edited by wiuenright; 2012-10-09 at 06:58 AM.

1.) how many monitors do you have? If you only plan to game on one, I think 2gb should last you until you need a new upgrade
    2.) that case should be fine
    3.) I'm not so knowledgeable about MOBOS
    4.) same ram specs, cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428
    5.) overall looks solid, but I'd avoid getting a reference GPU fan like the FTW edition. I have a 670 with a reference fan and the noise is horrible. Get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125423 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127685 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121637 (the gigabyte is my preference)

10+ Year Old Account
    Go the extra distance and get yourself an SSD for the OS and Software *not including games, though you can still install some to it based on how large it is*, it's worth every penny.

I have two of the same HDD's you're buying, one is for games, the other is for Storage/Fraps, and the SSD is for Software + the OS.

Top-end 256GB SSD's are only $200 now, and they're absolutely worth it.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-10-09 at 03:52 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

"1.) how many monitors do you have? If you only plan to game on one, I think 2gb should last you until you need a new upgrade"
    1) I have one old monitor currently... but will be buying a second in the near future and would like to use both simultaneously
    "5.) overall looks solid, but I'd avoid getting a reference GPU fan like the FTW edition."
    5) I am confused by the term "reference"... have seen it a lot but I don't understand. Could you please explain?
    Last edited by wiuenright; 2012-10-09 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiuenright View Post
    1) I have one old monitor currently... but will be buying a second in the near future and would like to use both simultaneously
    5) I am confused by the term "reference"... have seen it a lot but I don't understand. Could you please explain?
    If you want to use more than one monitor you may want to invest in a 4gb version of the card if you play games that use lots of VRAM like modern shooters, skyrim, etc. If you just play WoW 2 gb is probably enough, wow on ultra only uses 950 mb of VRAM for me

And by reference design I mean the manufacturer is using the same cooler as NVIDIA and did not install their own.

This is the reference 670 GTX:

Its fan is loud and grindy. Here are videos of sounds of video cards http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...w,3217-14.html
    Last edited by Resies; 2012-10-09 at 04:04 AM.

[QUOTE=Resies;18685097]If you want to use more than one monitor you may want to invest in a 4gb version of the card if you play games that use lots of VRAM like modern shooters, skyrim, etc. If you just play WoW 2 gb is probably enough, wow on ultra only uses 950 mb of VRAM for me

would this be any good?? again I have to work with tigerdirect for the gpu: Galaxy GForce GTX 670 GC 4GB

tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3734582&CatId=7387

again sorry bout the links

[QUOTE=wiuenright;18685194]
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    If you want to use more than one monitor you may want to invest in a 4gb version of the card if you play games that use lots of VRAM like modern shooters, skyrim, etc. If you just play WoW 2 gb is probably enough, wow on ultra only uses 950 mb of VRAM for me

would this be any good?? again I have to work with tigerdirect for the gpu: Galaxy GForce GTX 670 GC 4GB

tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3734582&CatId=7387

again sorry bout the links
    yeah, the video card might be a bit whiny but should be fine.

"yeah, the video card might be a bit whiny but should be fine"

Ok I changed my mind. I have decided on the Asus GTX670-DC2T model. Very quiet reviews and great performance.

Thanks for your help so far

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 02:18 PM ----------

Anyone have any last minute advice... I think I am going to take the plunge here in a few.

Mostly wondering about the motherboard... its the upgrade to the sabertooth worth it???
    Last edited by wiuenright; 2012-10-09 at 07:18 PM.