SSD is filling up. How can I free up some space?

Hello, guys.

System Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7-2600
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    GPU: GTX 580 3gigx2
    SDD: Crucial M4 64gig
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16gig

My SSD is full to bursting. I found a tweaking guide to cut back on storage space, like disabling hibernate and all that. What can I do on a 'weathered' SSD that I've had since February to cut back storage when it starts to get too full?

I've seen that Amazon has these really nice SSDs for about $100, so I'm thinking about switching to one (Or two. Teehee). Would it be an arduous process to transfer to content of this 64gig SSD onto a larger one?

Thanks guys!

Set your download folder to your HDD, basically set everything to your HDD except installs you specify to the ssd.

The SSD stores only my OS files and I think my anti-virus. Everything else exists on my HDD(D-drive), and I went as far as editing the registry of my computer so that installations and downloads are defaulted the D-drive instead of the C-drive.

You might have the page file on the SSD as well. Typically Windows set the page file the same size as your ram. So you might be able to get 16GB out of it if you move the page file to your HDD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point windirstat at your SSD and find what's taking up all the space, then we can figure out what to do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disable pagefile, hibernate file, and restore.
    Could also be winsvx or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Disable pagefile, hibernate file, and restore.
    Could also be winsvx or something.
    All of that's been done. I didn't remember any of it until you mentioned it, though.

Gonna give that windirstat link a try.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 03:16 AM ----------

Went through some of these tweaks. Also, my SSD freed up 16gigs out of nowhere. Dafuq?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayon View Post
    All of that's been done. I didn't remember any of it until you mentioned it, though.

Gonna give that windirstat link a try.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 03:16 AM ----------

Went through some of these tweaks. Also, my SSD freed up 16gigs out of nowhere. Dafuq?
    You wouldn't happen to have 16GB of RAM right? (my guess it's the hibernate file that was still present, which == system memory).

Dont bother transferring anything to the new SSD. Just buy it and install it into your computer. Your OS will boot right up and recognize the new SSD. So then you will have 2 SSDs so you can move the WOW folder to the new SSD (simply copy and paste) and thats it, no need to do anything.

The rule is that your supposed to put frequently used programs on the SSDs (ie. the OS and games) because they will load faster. And put everything else onto the HDD (ex. movies, music, photos, word, etc.)

Deleted
    To free up disk space on an SSD you can disable hibernate, decrease the size of your page file, turn off System Restore and many other things. I've recently written an article in my blog that gives more information and detailed instructions about this. If you are interested, you can find it here:

7 Ways to Free Up Disk Space on an SSD in Windows 7
    Last edited by mmoc5faf9daf41; 2013-02-25 at 08:37 PM.

I've seen that Amazon has these really nice SSDs for about $100, so I'm thinking about switching to one (Or two. Teehee).
    Get 250GB SSD while you're at it instead of 120GB. Not big price difference and you wont be in this situation soon again.

Would it be an arduous process to transfer to content of this 64gig SSD onto a larger one?
    Not if you get an SSD that has disc cloning software included in the package.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Get 250GB SSD while you're at it instead of 120GB. Not big price difference and you wont be in this situation soon again.
    Yeah! No... Perhaps in the US of cheap hardware, but in Europe the difference in price between the 120-128GBs and the 250-256GBs is still pretty steap. You get a 128GB Samsung 830 for 90~ € and the 256GB version for 180~ €, so pretty much double price as you'd expect.

On topic though, I'd suggest following previously mentioned steps or getting at least a 128GB ssd and just keep your OS and hardware relevant stuff on the 64GB. I personally have 35-40GB free on my 128GB and I have SC2, D3, WoW, BF3, OS and hardware relavant stuff on there, so even if you expect to play more games often you should have plenty of space on a 128GB, if you're living in the US of cheap hardware you might as well get a 256GB.

These are good guides to free up some space on your SSD though:
    http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to...fe-of-your-ssd
    http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-t...y-in-windows-7