Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Exclamation Help with math problem

Okay I am not gonna lie, it is a homework problem I need help with. I know it is against the forum rules to ask for help but it's just a single problem. So I ask the mods may I please post this problem?

Okay onto the problem. I have to prove.

1+Tan(t)Tan(2t)=Tan(2t)Cot(t)-1
    Last edited by Gober; 2012-10-13 at 11:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gober View Post
    Okay I am not gonna lie, it is a homework problem I need help with. I know it is against the forum rules to ask for help but it's just a single problem. So I ask the mods may I please post this problem?

Okay onto the problem. I have to prove.

1+TantTan2t=TantCott-1
    What kind of problem is that, exactly?

It looks like some kind of trig with finding tangents.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    What kind of problem is that, exactly?

It looks like some kind of trig with finding tangents.
    Yes it is trig. I have to prove both sides are the same. So I gotta make one side look exactly like the other using trig identities and algebra. The thing is you can only work one side you have to leave the other alone.

Deleted
    Ah, Math, my old nemesis, we meet again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Asking for the solution to your homework is not allowed. Asking to be pushed in the right direction is fine. What specifically are you having a problem with here?

Your textbook should have a list of trig identities. Take a look at those and try a few out to see if you get anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Do you happen to have the list of trig proofs? Like the basic SOH, CAH, TOA stuff. In order to prove that one equals the other I'm fairly sure you'll need to use them

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Asking for the solution to your homework is not allowed. Asking to be pushed in the right direction is fine. What specifically are you having a problem with here?
    I don't exactly want the solution because it is already in the problem, I want the steps on how to get there. I spent like an hour just trying different identities and so far none have worked out =/

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't exactly want the solution because it is already in the problem, I want the steps on how to get there. I spent like an hour just trying different identities and so far none have worked out =/
    I understand. I wish I could help more. I haven't done Trig in almost 15 years and googling a few things hasn't helped jog my memory much. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Your textbook should have a list of trig identities. Take a look at those and try a few out to see if you get anywhere.
    Here's a list of all the identities I can use. http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html
    Last edited by Gober; 2012-10-13 at 11:20 PM.

Deleted
    Here's a list of all the identities I can use. http://www.gnaa.eu/browser/trollforg...es.gif?rev=476
    Out comes the pen & paper. Been a few years but I'll see what I can come up with

Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Out comes the pen & paper. Been a few years but I'll see what I can come up with
    I changed the link. This one is a little simpler I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm writing it out now in an attempt to work it out but think of it this way.

Look at the right hand side of the equation.

tan x * cot x

= (sin x / cos x) * (cos x / sin x) = 1

Then you have -1 so the right hand side of the equation is equal to 0, so you have to prove that ( 1 + tan x tan 2x) = 0
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Hi. Can you double check the identity, please? I think there is a mistake somewhere.

Yep, the guy above me is right.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post

tan x * cot x

Then you have -1 so the right hand side of the equation is equal to 0, so you have to prove that ( 1 + tan x tan 2x) = 0
    I thought the right side was tan(t)cot(t-1) not tan(t)cot(t) - 1

OP can you clarify? Is the -1 part of the cotangent term or on it's own?

cot(t) * tan(t) = 1 . That should be a good place for you to start. Remember that tan(t) = sin(t)/cos(t) and cot(t) = cos(t)/sin(t) . Then use the conversions that you have to simplify the rest. It's actually a fairly easy problem just asking you to use substitutions from that url you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post

tan x * cot x

Poop I am sorry I copied the problem down wrong. It was supposes to be tan2xcotx-1 on the right side.

Oh by the way I also need to ask if you can manipulate both sides, because usually in a proof you can only touch one side. Which would cause a problem in MerinPally's answer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post
    Hi. Can you double check the identity, please? I think there is a mistake somewhere.

Yeah I think there might be a mistake myself. Having touble equating the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post

Yes there was a mistake I fixed it though it is correct now.