Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Angry 600 Blacksmithing is a JOKE

Just posted this on official forums.

Hi everyone.

Ok, so I got Blacksmithing to 600 another day and realized how bad this profession is at 600!
    I'm not the only one...I've read some threads about this aswell and people are complaining about this profession.

The main problem is we are dependant on another profession (Alchemy).
    This shouldn't be the case since the minning should give us the most materials required.

So at 600, we can't even make a Buckle because it requires living steel made by Alchemists. which has a 1day CD!
    The epic gear I can understand it requires more mats but a buckle, which is basicaly the only thing we can actual sell to have a small profit.
    Crafted PvP gear is kinda useless since is too easy to farm honor...
    Epic crafted gear way overpriced to even make & sell.

Lets see some of the other professions:

Alchemy: with herbalism can make flasks, elixyrs by gathering thier own herbs with herbalism. Transmute is optional.
    Leatherworking: with skinning can make armor kits, epic BoE gear just by killing animals and getting the Leather. No dependant on other profession.
    Jewelcrafting: Can get gems just by minning. The exception are the Meta gems.
    Tailoring: Can craft blue and epic quality gear with just cloth which is free just like LW need to kill&skin monsters.

Now Blacksmithing: Can't create Belt Buckles; can't create Epic quality gear because all of this needs LIVING STEEL which is made by ALCHEMISTS.
    So my point is, we BS are the only proffession that requires another proffession just to make a simple thing like a Buckle, so at 600 we can't have profit, period.
    We should be able to create living steel aswell, with 1 day CD or something and requiring trillium which is very rare!

Leatherworkers and Tailors can create thier own materials for epic gear...why can't we???

This is ridiculous!

Another thing about the previous buckles:

WotLK:
    Eternal Belt Buckle
    requires Saronite, Eternal Earth, Water, Shadow. All obtainable by minning.

Cata:
    Ebonsteel Belt Buckle
    requires Elementium, Pyrium and Volatile Earth. All obtainable by minning.

MoP:
    Living Steel Belt Buckle
    requires Living Steel. NOT OBTAINABLE BY MINNING. We can obtain the ore yes BUT we need a Alchemist to have a Cooldown ready so we can pay to have our mats turn into Living Steel which is ridiculous

And by comparison some of our epic patterns require more mats than Leatherworker ones for example...
    This needs to be balanced!

TL: DR
    Blacksmithing requires living steel to craft anything at 600, which is made by Alchemists ONLY.
    We can't even smelt Living Steel...
    We should be able to get our own mats to craft blue and epic gear like Leatherworkers and Tailors do!
    So we rely on another proffessions instead of our own gathering proffession.
    This needs to be fixed.
    Alch alt char is not the solution.
    Last edited by Patife17; 2012-10-09 at 06:00 PM.

1. roll an alchemist
    2. ....
    3. profit
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

I don't know about your server, but I buy living steels off AH, make a belt buckle, and mark it up 400g. I've made over 6k like this over the past 2 weeks with very little effort.

Edit: I know some people make the distinction between being dependent on a gathering profession vs another crafting profession, but to be dependent is dependent. The only downside to BS right now is that it requires 2 dependencies if you wish to do it all by yourself. Primarily you need a miner for ore and an alchemist for living steels.

Other professions have their own unique problems too though. Inscriptionists and jewelcrafters rely on RNG for the good stuff. Enchanting and tailoring require drops. Elixir alchemists require the very rare golden lotus.
    Last edited by Lefrog; 2012-10-09 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    1. roll an alchemist
    2. ....
    3. profit
    Can you even read?
    Alt char with alchemy is NOT THE SOLUTION

Tailors, Leatherworkers can gather all thier mats and make their own crafting gear including epic quality.
    Blacksmithers can't make living steel which is required by everything.
    JC's can mine nodes = free mats to cut gems(no metas but can make alot of profit from gems)
    Alch can gather herbs = free mats
    and so on.

Balance? I don't see it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    I don't know about your server, but I buy living steels off AH, make a belt buckle, and mark it up 400g. I've made over 6k like this over the past 2 weeks with very little effort.
    That's another problem.
    Low pop
    15% alliance 85% Horde
    I'm from Alliance...AH is completly dead.

But still, this is a proffession issue.

Deleted
    And now tell us what you can make with blacksmithing, like you did with the others.
    Alchemist depends on mining (trillium bars) to make living steel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    1. roll an alchemist
    2. ....
    3. profit
    This!
    4. bonusprofit: Easy Trillium - which has no transmutation CD. You aren't depending on luck finding an equal ammount of black and white ore, or of finding any trillium ore at all. 1 Stack ghost iron ore is 1 Trillium Bar. And 6 stacks of ghost iron ore are easy farmed besides dailies (for the living steel).
    5. megaprofit: Cheap Flasks, as you can make them yourself.

Rolling an alchemist alt is the best decision a blacksmith can make.

Sucks to be you.
    This is why I have 10 85er alts, so I don't have to depend on anybody.
    But I agree, BS brings very little to the table @ lvl 600

Quote Originally Posted by ucplayer View Post
    Leatherworking: can make armor kits, epic BoE gear just by killing animals and getting the Leather. No dependant on other profession.
    The last bit, I don't know if you're new to the game but thats called skinning

We should be able to get our own mats to craft blue and epic gear like Leatherworkers and Tailors do!
    Leatherworkers DON'T get their own materials, Skinners get the mats needed for Leatherworkers, and honestly? Cloth is pretty common by everyone, Tailors just get a better drop rate for their cloth

Also Pro-Tip: Pick up mining
    Last edited by HalseyUS; 2012-10-09 at 03:13 PM.

Halsey - Semi Retired | US[/URL] | Signature made by i4ni

15+ Year Old Account
    Just wondering, but is this actually a surprise to most? Pretty much been this way last few expansions, and tailoring needed it during classic with leather. So if you need to make buckles so badly lvl an alchemist or get the gold to buy it from ah.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by HalseyUS View Post
    I agree on one point, belt buckles should not require living steel. That's stupid and poorly planned and executed.

However, I'm fine with the top end metal being from transmutes... just not that a belt buckle requires that metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Im an alchemist, I can't make flasks or pots nor transmutes without a gathering profession ONLY OBTAINABLE BY AH-PURCHASES. Buhuu Alchemy sucks."
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Can you even read?
    Alt char with alchemy is NOT THE SOLUTION

Tailors, Leatherworkers can gather all thier mats and make their own crafting gear including epic quality.
    Blacksmithers can't make living steel which is required by everything.
    JC's can mine nodes = free mats to cut gems(no metas but can make alot of profit from gems)
    Alch can gather herbs = free mats
    and so on.
    Um, no, just no. Alchemists can't gather anything, that requires an herbalist. Jewelcrafter's require a miner, scribes require an herbalist, leatherworker's require a skinner. Every crafting profession (outside of tailors) requires some other profession in order to work. Blacksmith just happens to require another crafting profession in order to make top end gear (saw it in Cata as well). It does suck that they decided to make the buckles use a single transmute per day item though - guess that's why I have 3 alchemists.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

It is indeed awful what they did to blacksmithing this expansion. I guess that's the price you pay for full flexibility in your profession bonus though.

Yeah, it pretty much sucks. I'll have to level my alchemy alt sooner than I would have liked to, but, whatever. I'm not going to get upset about it, that seems pointless to me.
    Last edited by granpachook; 2012-10-09 at 03:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HalseyUS View Post

Leatherworkers DON'T get their own materials, Skinners get the mats needed for Leatherworkers, and honestly? Cloth is pretty common by everyone, Tailors just get a better drop rate for their cloth

Also Pro-Tip: Pick up mining
    I think you miss his point...
    He's pointing out that BS can not make a lot of things without depending on another PRIMARY profession (i.e alchemy)

imo the living steel we need for all the better craftable gear isn't the worst part ....
    if i want to make 1 piece of good armor i need between 6-8 x Ghost of harmony ..... which requires if your lucky 2-3 days mindlessly farming mobs for the drops ......

Deleted
    How is being "dependent" of alchemy any different than being dependent of mining, skinning or herbalism?

@op.....

have you got a leatherworker do you quest do you kill mobs???

ALL PROFESSIONS NEED ANOTHER PROFFESSION TO SURVIVE....

leatherworkers needa farm with skinning. the leather doesnt drop from mobs like you stated...

tailors can grind out mobs. every mob drops cloth yay

enchanting needs to mass run dungeons or lvl a crafting prof like tailoring.

scribe... needs to go get herbing or have a gold earning profession like mining or something to buy herbs.

alchemy herbing same as scribe but oh so much worse if there is no herbs in there price range..

BS mining and alchemy.

sure you get one extra.... whoopee they are not going to make living steel a bs item... its a transmute end of story.
    like all the other bars... it jsut sucks that you have been left with it in your epic items to make this is the only real reason you are shitty i guess for the fact your epic crafted gear needs 6/8 living steel were as lw and clothys dont.

but at the rate the prices of ore are going and what not its not gonna matter living steel will cost around 300g in a few months sell buckles for 600g profit.

also bs is more end of expansion profit earner not start....
    Last edited by Kikazz; 2012-10-09 at 03:48 PM.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkdepot View Post
    Um, no, just no. Alchemists can't gather anything, that requires an herbalist. Jewelcrafter's require a miner, scribes require an herbalist, leatherworker's require a skinner. Every crafting profession (outside of tailors) requires some other profession in order to work. Blacksmith just happens to require another crafting profession in order to make top end gear (saw it in Cata as well). It does suck that they decided to make the buckles use a single transmute per day item though - guess that's why I have 3 alchemists.
    its generally accepted that crafting professions will have their respective gathering professions.. but what he's getting at, and i agree with him, that to make even the slightest of profits you need to have both mining AND alchemy along with your blacksmithing..
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    imo the living steel we need for all the better craftable gear isn't the worst part ....
    if i want to make 1 piece of good armor i need between 6-8 x Ghost of harmony ..... which requires if your lucky 2-3 days mindlessly farming mobs for the drops ......
    google is your freind type in Spirit of harmony farm spot world of warcraft.

there are plenty of farm spots i am sitting on about 60 spirits at the mo.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.