View Poll Results: Pat on the back or a fist to the face?

Voters
200. This poll is closed
  • Pat pat pat

167 83.50%
  • Smash Smash Smash

33 16.50%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    how is this any different then a boss sleeping with his Secretary? should she be fired? sure but it shouldnt be something court is involved with
    Or when a prison guard sleeps with an inmate. Courts are involved there; this is because according to the law, this type of relationship compromises informed consent, and hence qualifies as a form of rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    >Implying you can apply generalizations to specific situations.
    Oh dear my sides.
    >Implying you can apply
    >Implying
    >
    Please don't use green text on a board that doesn't even have the function to use it. It just looks stupid.

I'd be pretty fucking pissed at the teacher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    Please don't use green text on a board that doesn't even have the function to use it. It just looks stupid.
    It's not like you're the first person to say that.
    And you won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    how is this any different then a boss sleeping with his Secretary? should she be fired? sure but it shouldnt be something court is involved with
    Because a teacher is in a position of authority over a student that has no choice in the matter. As someone else pointed out in the thread, much like a prison guard has authority over an inmate, and a psychiatrist over his/her patient.

Your boss analogy is all around wrong. You assert that the boss is a man, but the secretary (female) should be fired, and nothing happens to the boss? There are usually strict workplace relationship rules in order to prevent bosses from engaging in favoritism or abusing their power, so using that as an argument is pointless.

Shit even when boss/secretary relationships are consensual they end careers - look at the CEO of Best Buy, dude lost a long career over banging his secretary this spring.

I am not a fan. First of all, I can't see how this is supposed to be a crime (or rather, a law against it), but fact is, they both used eachother for the situation.
    This is not something to be proud of.
    But I wouldn't punch him in the face either.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gender double-standards aside, I think it's still quite ridiculous that 17 is not a legal age in some U.S. states. If this happened in Canada there would be nothing illegal about it.

Having said that, grown adults shouldn't be creeping up young people in their teens. It's weird regardless of the genders involved.

Also, it's a major no-no for any teacher to abuse his or her power/influence in any manner. Even if it were legal in her state there's no question that she should be fired.
    Last edited by FathomFear; 2012-10-09 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    I'd say 'nice' whilst nodding.
    Hah, was thinking along similar lines.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Gender double-standards aside, I think it's still quite ridiculous that 17 is not a legal age in some U.S. states. If this happened in Canada there would be nothing illegal about it.

Having said that, grown adults shouldn't be creeping up young people in their teens. It's weird regardless of the genders involved.
    Except that our football teams have much more attractive Cheerleaders. One in the article has some "mileage."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tseven View Post
    Doesn't work that way.

My child wouldn't be rude to someone without any consequences or heck be rude. So no it's not "doesn't work that way."
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I know I wouldn't be able to stop him. But I can guarentee this wouldn't happen ever.
    You do realize, right, that teaching children "manners" has absolutely no bearing on whether they'll chose to follow them? I'm not trying to be rude--just that if/when you ever have kids, you need to understand and appreciate that they are their own people, and that means that they'll behave in ways you can't expect sometimes. But that's just part of growing up.

Assuming it's making him happy, I would be happy for him. I don't want to live vicariously through my son and his sex life, that's kinda weird. He's free to have sex with whomever he wishes, assuming its safe sex.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    To prevent confusion over whether you’re playing a card game or returning to town, the Hearthstone will now be called a Homerock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The amount of people that don't comprehend positions of power compromising informed consent in this thread is astounding.
    there is no relationship where there is no difference in the "positions of power". all couples will have one person who is dominant and the other passive. to exclude this fact would be simply ignorant.

Deleted
    Good for you, small son.

Deleted
    The underage ones can't be blamed in any of these situations, such is the point of them being underaged. I wouldn't have anything negative to say to my own son, or even my daughter if it was revered. I would however, have a very big problem with the one responsible for the abuse.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    there is no relationship where there is no difference in the "positions of power". all couples will have one person who is dominant and the other passive. to exclude this fact would be simply ignorant.
    You seem to completely overlook the fact that said positions of power make young teenagers particularly vulnerable.

Deleted
    He's free to have sex with whomever he wishes, assuming its safe sex.
    "Hey dad, I have been thinking about becoming a prostitute."

Would you accept that?

Quote Originally Posted by tseven View Post
    "Hey dad, I have been thinking about becoming a prostitute."

Would you accept that?
    As long as he's paying rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    The underage ones can't be blamed in any of these situations, such is the point of them being underaged. I wouldn't have anything negative to say to my own son, or even my daughter if it was revered. I would however, have a very big problem with the one responsible for the abuse.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 08:19 PM ----------

You seem to completely overlook the fact that said positions of power make young teenagers particularly vulnerable.
    How does it make young people particularly vulnerable compared to adults?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    How does it make young people particularly vulnerable compared to adults?
    Because when you turn 18 you magically become invulnerable to broken hearts and whatnot. This is common knowledge.
    Also emotional maturity also occurs at the day you turn 18, not a day before it nor after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    But of course if the genders were reversed, everyone would be absolutely disgusted. In addition, the teacher would receive years of jail time, whereas this female will probably just receive probation like the one out of Florida.
    Pretty much all that needs to be said here. Double standards, gotta love em.