Shield Block v Shield Barrier

Hey, everyone. I've found myself not generating enough rage to use Shield Block a lot of the time. Because of this, I just pop Shield Barrier every time it is available.

What about you guys? Are you all using Shield Block? If so, what do you think I should do differently?

Here's my armory for comparison: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...olution/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Polution93 View Post
    Hey, everyone. I've found myself not generating enough rage to use Shield Block a lot of the time. Because of this, I just pop Shield Barrier every time it is available.

What about you guys? Are you all using Shield Block? If so, what do you think I should do differently?

Here's my armory for comparison: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...olution/simple
    Even with .52% hit and like 2% exp (can't forge anymore away) I'm still fine with rage generation. Are you HSing a lot or something?

I wouldn't say I use it "a lot." Probably more than I should, admittedly.

What somepeople summed already:
    Shield Block => For normal melee/range dmg or group of mob dmg
    Shield Barrier => For Magic dmg

If u unable to generate enough rage, try using the berserking rage and the rage shout more often. Yea i know u cant keep shield block 100% up time but surely almost i would say 70% of the fight u can.

Specify that barrier is for heavy unblockable damage, which isn't just magical.

And if you need to reduce damage, don't touch heroic strike unless ultimatum procs it for free. Only use HS off proc if you aren't in danger of dying and could use the extra dps.
    Last edited by idefiler6; 2012-10-09 at 05:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry if I'm not up to date with a lot of Prot Warrior mechanics, I'm not currently doing any dungeons etc on my Prot Warrior.
    But if you're having rage issues then maybe you should try reforging for some Hit and Expertise so that you can hit with your rage generators more often and thus get more rage.

At least when I in dungeons at the end of Cata with 5.04 patch, I was able to keep Shield Block up almost all the time.

Although it sounds obvious, are you sure you're doing your rotation correctly? When and how often are you using Heroic Strike?

Looking at your profile i was wondering one thing. you ahve quite some Dodge on your Tank gear and i was led to beleive Dodge is not a very usefull stat for us warrior tanks at this time. Parry is way better.

I coppied this earlier in a small document so i cant really remember where i got it from.

Parry Allows you to avoid an incoming physical attack. Parry has very low diminishing returns which means you can stack a lot of Parry and it will still be an effective stat. As a rule, you want 2.5x as much Parry as Dodge.

Dodge Allows you to avoid an incoming physical attack. Dodge has a higher rate of diminishing returns than Parry and should not be stacked as high.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    Looking at your profile i was wondering one thing. you ahve quite some Dodge on your Tank gear and i was led to beleive Dodge is not a very usefull stat for us warrior tanks at this time. Parry is way better.

I coppied this earlier in a small document so i cant really remember where i got it from.
    Well, unfortunately nearly all of the early tank gear is dripping in dodge so it's unavoidable. OP should probably farm Coren to replace that trinket though.

Deleted
    As others have said, its probably HS spending. Outside having a healer that can cope with dmg or whatever, You really shouldn't be pressing it unless you are 90+ rage, or have ultimatum up.

On top of that, pay more attention to SS, Rev and Dev. SS and Rev are your rage generation ability's, make sure you are pressing them off CD. If both are on CD, use Dev to proc S&B and get that bonus 5 rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a rule, you want 2.5x as much Parry as Dodge.
    Source? I dont think this is true, at all.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

That's an incorrect ratio. It changes based on how high you've stacked parry. Pretty sure sacredduty.net had some math on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Source? I dont think this is true, at all.
    You want a metric F^%& ton more parry than dodge as parry has had the DR threshhold set way furhter than Dodge that is why they say to get more. In the past the DR happened at the same pace so we wnated just a bit more parry for our procs but still keeping them close. Since they made parry DR at a way slower rate we want more of it.

From the prot guideline

*When comparing Parry diminishing returns (DR) to Dodge DR, there is actually a limit to how much more Parry percentages you should have to keep a balanced DR between those two stats. It will be about 2 to 3 times more Parry percentages than Dodge percentages, and so passed that limit, Parry becomes equal to Dodge in the priority.)

O as well :
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794229922
    Last edited by Odina; 2012-10-09 at 03:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you use reforgelite it automatically reforges your gear to either prioritize hit/exp>mastery>parry>dodge or to mastery>parry/dodge>rest, and it optimizes the amount of ctc you get. I found that addon to be extremely helpful.

It won't solve poor gearing ofcourse, but as long as you don't gear extremely towards a certain stat there is never gonna be a major issue.