Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Make working in school cafeterias for x hours a requirement in culinary arts programs, perhaps?
    Wouldn't work here because those programs are located at certain schools, not all schools offer the same programs.
    My school didn't for example, we had Music program and IB(international baccalaureate) programs though.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Wouldn't work here because those programs are located at certain schools, not all schools offer the same programs.
    My school didn't for example, we had Music program and IB(international baccalaureate) programs though.
    Meh, merely a suggestion. I do find it funny that the same people who cater schools also cater prisons.

Then again, better food would mean funding education.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Yes at least the places i've been. As i said - i believe its private enterprises...
    Aha, yeah it might be different, I'm not too keen on private enterprise when it comes to education, they make enormous profits on our tax money(at least here)... and most of the money will never get reinvested in Sweden.

I'm all for choice though, school vouchers are great. But I think a profit cap is in order.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Aha, yeah it might be different, I'm not too keen on private enterprise when it comes to education, they make enormous profits on our tax money(at least here)... and most of the money will never get reinvested in Sweden.

I'm all for choice though, school vouchers are great. But I think a profit cap is in order.
    ... The food is provided by a private enterprise - the education is not...

Meh, merely a suggestion. I do find it funny that the same people who cater schools also cater prisons.

Then again, better food would mean funding education.
    Not a bad suggestion, but not really doable with the way things work here, is that something they do in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    ... The food is provided by a private enterprise - the education is not...
    aha, sorry, thought you meant the school as a whole. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a bad suggestion, but not really doable with the way things work here, is that something they do in Seattle?
    Only in some colleges, the places are staffed by culinary arts majors.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Only in some colleges, the places are staffed by culinary arts majors.
    My college had that too, was a proper restaurant on campus staffed by the culinary arts students. Damn good food and cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    My college had that too, was a proper restaurant on campus staffed by the culinary arts students. Damn good food and cheap.
    Pretty much this. Good food makes people happier, and happy students are productive students.

Pretty much this. Good food makes people happier, and happy students are productive students.
    I don't know about the last part. I'm pretty sure I lost many productive class and lab hours sitting in that place for far too long, or migrating from the restaurant to the campus bar run by the Student's Association...or to the Squash courts. But that's more to do with the course I had being a walk in the park.

Deleted
    No need for political statements.

Just one statement:

The people who decided that are retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because all growing children should just eat crappy cafeteria food? Let her bake her damn bread and use more veggies! Not hurting anybody.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Every municipal is different though. It's like US states, the government, or the state don't handle this stuff. It can be totally different political parties in power in different municipals/districts with totally different ideas and also different ideas on how the municipal taxes should be used(those taxes fund local education).

So it's not really something that is decided in Stockholm. It's local.

It certainly is local, education as a whole have been the responsibility of the Kommunen since the 1990s And i find it interesting that they go left wing government when this is Falun. Falun is a fairly conservative town that have been run by The conservative party for most of the time.

The issue at hand wasnt food was too good etc, It is that board due to financial reasons are putting central cost control and to get cost saving benefits from centralize purchases etc etc. We can argue if that s the right to do. Personally i dont think it is since things will get better if we make sure each school gets very good quality food even if it costs more. If in doubt you can raise the taxes to make sure it gets funded as well

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 10:56 PM ----------

vouchers have been a disaster for the overall quality of education in Sweden. we have seen what 20 years of the "skolreformen" have done to the quality of education. For profit schools have been a total failure and everyone knows it have created a MASSIVE grade inflation.

from 1998 to 2008 the amount of straight MVG ( MycketVälGodkänd) The highest grade possible at this time it increased 28 times, this according to a story that Utbildningsradion did in 2009. And it is a fair guess to assume the knowledge among students didnt increase by 28 times in those years so we had a massive inflation driven by the voucher school system that forces schools to have high grades on the students regardless if they deserve them or not just to attract customers for the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They should turn around and implement her menu at the other schools, not penalize her for being good to the students. What the hell is wrong with people??
    What's wrong with people is demanding equality for everyone.

That means, along with bringing up those who are below the norm, you also have to drag down those above it.

Deleted
    Wth? If the cost is the same or almost the same they should learn from her and make the other schools follow instead!

I can't believe that they complain about the food being too good. In my town(and alot of others) the students get a food card that they can use in almost any restaurant in town. They can choose between 35 different restaurant in my town. They think that that's ok but think its wrong when she makes good food, wth?

Quote Originally Posted by muffinss View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1948486.html

I'm all for fairness, but this is ridiclious. Punished for making good tasting food
    Sweden has gone bugfuck insane with their obsession for equality.

They told a private company they weren't allowed to use dark-skinned models and somehow had the cognitive dissonance to not see how that's racist.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    vouchers have been a disaster for the overall quality of education in Sweden. we have seen what 20 years of the "skolreformen" have done to the quality of education. For profit schools have been a total failure and everyone knows it have created a MASSIVE grade inflation.

from 1998 to 2008 the amount of straight MVG ( MycketVälGodkänd) The highest grade possible at this time it increased 28 times, this according to a story that Utbildningsradion did in 2009. And it is a fair guess to assume the knowledge among students didnt increase by 28 times in those years so we had a massive inflation driven by the voucher school system that forces schools to have high grades on the students regardless if they deserve them or not just to attract customers for the next year.
    I didn't know that hehe, I graduated in early 2000s. So I havn't kept myself up to date when it comes to anything but higher education. Shouldn't the "school inspection" be controling that?

Sucks for people that graduated earlier as they don't compete on the same terms then.

---------- Post added 2012-10-09 at 11:20 PM ----------

Not that again. You don't get it. You can interpret it as racist all you want, but it is not. Want to go on about racism I suggest you read the story about the sports commentator on the Local, now that is racism.

Lets see what an actual brazilian living in Sweden got to say about it.
    18:00 September 20, 2012 by pcgomes
    A Brazilian perspective over this:

Isabeli Fontana is indeed a very famous white Brazilian model. I am also a white Brazilian, and my skin color is naturally slightly darker than hers. But I have NEVER got tanned even closer to her tone on H&M's ad, despite being severely exposed to sunlight without sunblock.

The H&M excuse, that she is Brazilian (and supposedly all have such tan), doesn't hold AT ALL. People: just google her name, and check her pictures. She's very white, and could never get such tan naturally. If she's not covered with make-up, or the photo hasn't been photoshoped, then she indeed was exposed to unhealthy cancer-prune tanning sessions.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-10-09 at 11:25 PM.

Deleted
    It used to be better. Back when i went to school (in my school) they atleast cooked the food themselfs, nowadays most schools just warm premade food. But look on the bright side, atleast Sweden have more healthy food in the schools than compared to the US. Watched how Jamie Oliver tried to change their habbits and foods in schools in US and he got shot down. Kids have been so brainwashed by the grown ups and their greed and profitsickness that they rather take a couple of chicken nuggets than something that is actually good for you :P Its sad really

Deleted
    I just want to mention that the school lunch in Finland is horrible, much worse than Sweden, for example how good food do you think you can get for 0,80 euros, because that is how much the lunch gets to cost per person per day, people in jail in Finland gets lunch for 3,0 euros per day so appearently they are worth 3.5 times better food than kids in school

I wish I had a lunch lady like that back in grade school. In 5th grade I transfered to a school that didn't have a kitchen so every day for the entire year we had pizza/sub (pizza one day then subs the next and so on and so on). You think it's awesome at the start, but by the end of the year I didn't wanna see another piece of pizza let alone eat it, and god knows how many pounds I put on that year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They should turn around and implement her menu at the other schools, not penalize her for being good to the students. What the hell is wrong with people??
    Yea, the other schools should take her food as a standard they should achieve not penalize her, what is going on in this world..