Poll: Should this be Legal

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 30
... LastLast

CEO threatens layoffs if he is taxed any further

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1951801.html

I do not see how this can be legal. Isn't a vote a personal preference to influence the outcome for personal gain should be considered corrupted. My question with Super Pac's giving money to a campaign return for them voting how they want. How is that not a bribe? Super Pac's allowed corporations to donate unlimited amounts of money to "Super Pac's" supporting a person.

Isn't this going a bit far with voter suppression and now people threatening. It may seem small but combined all these factors poppulate a campaign for special interest. It's unfair to the American People to match the same money big business get. If you think they're unbiased. I have news for you. When former CEO of GE heard about low job report. He claimed "Books were cooked"

We need to create a red line from pushing people how to vote. Why isn't there a law already? it's not a left or right issue. It's a combined issue for republicans and democratic equally protect the integrity of the elections. I saw this and I made a poll option. Feel free to leave comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I recall intimidation in order to force someone to either not vote or vote a particular way was unethical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Last I recall intimidation in order to force someone to either not vote or vote a particular way was unethical.
    Since when huge corporations followed any ethics?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Some days I just can't wait for the revolution.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Repugnicans at their finest.

When people wonder why employers aren't allowed to get involved when employees try to unionize this is the kind of stuff they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1951801.html

I do not see how this can be legal. Isn't a vote a personal preference to influence the outcome for personal gain should be considered corrupted. My question with Super Pac's giving money to a campaign return for them voting how they want. How is that not a bribe? Super Pac's allowed corporations to donate unlimited amounts of money to "Super Pac's" supporting a person.

Isn't this going a bit far with voter suppression and now people threatening. It may seem small but combined all these factors poppulate a campaign for special interest. It's unfair to the American People to match the same money big business get. If you think they're unbiased. I have news for you. When former CEO of GE heard about low job report. He claimed "Books were cooked"

We need to create a red line from pushing people how to vote. Why isn't there a law already? it's not a left or right issue. It's a combined issue for republicans and democratic equally protect the integrity of the elections. I saw this and I made a poll option. Feel free to leave comments.
    He can't compel them to vote in a given way.

He is, however, entitled to layoffs if his costs of doing business do, in fact, go up.

Technically he's not violating the law. The email is carefully worded so that it says "if taxes go up I'll have to downsize". He doesn't actually come out and say how his employees should or should not vote. Its heavily implied, but technically a legal way saying what he intends to do.

ugh, nevermind. i read his statements, nothing attached to obama'a victory, but a hypothetical increase of taxes

The email in question seemed pretty tame, I'm a little more perturbed by the following:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-got-w-elected

Here’s Siegel’s account of how he swung the election in Bush’s favor: “Whenever I saw a negative article about [Al] Gore, I put it in with the paychecks of my 8,000 employees. I had my managers do a survey on every employee. If they liked Bush, we made them register to vote. But not if they liked Gore. The week before [the election] we made 80,000 phone calls through my call center—they were robo-calls. On Election Day, we made sure everyone who was voting for Bush got to the polls. I didn’t know he would win by 527 votes. Afterward, we did a survey among the employees to find out who voted who wouldn’t have otherwise. One thousand of them said so.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    And i shall be there leading it from the forefront!

They can definitely encourage you to go vote, but they cannot outright say or threaten you to vote for, or against someone. That said however, I'm sure you all remember a few years ago where a number of men packed heat and circled around the voting booths. If I remember correctly, they were trying to intimidate people into voting one way or the other, by showing off their firearms. I don't think they actually shot anyone though, for voting against what they wanted.

This reminds me when my wife and her schoolmates were lectured by their instructor: "ladies, you HAVE TO GO VOTE. otherwise our suffragettes died in vain." All the women nodded their heads, went for lunch together....and then all went straight home, lol(they didn't vote).

I think it would probably have been more likely that they would have went to vote, if there wasn't someone shouting at them in the classroom to go vote. passive aggressive

your thread title is not accurate, he said he would have to make layoffs if taxes went up, nothing about getting rid of all employees and nothing about layoffs happening only if obama was re elected.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

I tremble to think what could happen if Obama is re-elected, and I'm not even talking from a Republican viewpoint. A lot of people are really angry and irrational right now. If something ever happened to the President post-reelection, I mean, that could split this country right down the middle.

Deleted
    So "vote me and you will get more money if getting fired" or "vote me and the taxes for you (the "normal" ppl) will be lowered" is ok, but "If you vote him, our company will suffer and some may loose theire jobs" isn't?

He isn't even wrong, even if the way he engages the "problem" is kinda stupid, but it's a daily problem: More taxes for a company = less money to spend - and well, when it comes to the decision "is the money we suffer payed from the moguls account ot from the employees accounts" it's a easy decision, because the one(s) deciding are not the employees.

No need to discuss about the point, that this guy got much more money then he will be able to spend in his whole life and that a little higher taxes would prolly nothurt him/his company, but that's not the point of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I tremble to think what will happen if Obama is re-elected, and I'm not even talking from a Republican viewpoint. A lot of people are really angry and irrational right now. If something ever happened to the President post-reelection, I mean, that could split this country right down the middle.
    To quote Family Guy:

"They're going to bitch and moan....then beg for their apple juice, go poop and fall asleep.."

Most of the polemics are people that lack any real threat behind their posturing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

"If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company."

He isnt the only one. People who work full time at 40 hours are getting their hours cut to 30 so they dont have to pay for obama care.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...ployer-mandate

Looks like obama didnt think this through once again. Dont see this working out for anyone but the gov.

Deleted
    Not going to see another revolution happen, people are too tame. We're too busy fighting over who has the best phone and blaming the other side (Left vs Right, Domestic vs Foreign, etc.) Oh and ofcourse the good old "You're lucky, in Africa they don't even have <Name luxury good here>!" While they don't it doesn't mean we should be denying our own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    And i shall be there leading it from the forefront!
    Good luck because it will be about 1000 people at most

Deleted
    This cant be legal and never should be! How can he punish their workers for something they can't change?

It won't happen until the US Dollar collapses and we're unable to buy fuel/food etc.