Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the new talent system a lot, although I do wish there were more tiers. I hope it will get more tiers in the future.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

They'll give us Path of Titans...

Quote Originally Posted by Summerwine View Post
    now we can customize our character to more suit our play styles.
    Compelling playstyles such as "melee with no gap closer", "resto druid two shots you in pvp", "your BM pets ignore resilience or something OMGFFfff", and "Blood DK does 60% of the group's damage".

The talent tree is pretty fail for rogues. I definitely smile with shuriken throw, but most of each tier is "which thing that everyone else has can you go without?".

The game is very buggy and unbalanced. Part of this is due to the talent trees being burned alive, and having to eat the ashes. I'm sure they will fix it. At least the raids aren't totally broken and buggy, and also pet battles are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerwine View Post
    Basically this. I admit when the new talents were announced I was a bit unsure, but now I think it makes more sense then the old system. No longer do we have to put our talents in meaningless or mandatory choices, now we can customize our character to more suit our play styles. Its not perfect, but I hope it will be a template that Blizz continues to improve in the future.

As for jumping the shark, I seriously don't think it done that yet, but I guess it could be down to personal opinion.
    I think a system like Diablo 3's would work much better, where the choices are only restricted by level and not by "choose 1 of 3". There are many many combos of skills that have since been removed from possibility cause they are on the same row.

Just give us free choice of whatever talents we want to choose...

As a mage your only real "choices" are the type of bomb you wanna use, but it still reverts back to one being situationally superior to the rest. New talent system just makes it less likely for people with no clue to really fuck it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    I think a system like Diablo 3's would work much better, where the choices are only restricted by level and not by "choose 1 of 3". There are many many combos of skills that have since been removed from possibility cause they are on the same row.

Just give us free choice of whatever talents we want to choose...
    I don't think that will ever work with WoW, simply because there is way too many player spells and abilitys to use Diablo 3's talent system (forced to use X-Y spells with loads of combos)

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    They'll add a new talent for every 5 levels after MoP. It's not rocket science guys. Just like how Cata gave you a point every 2 lvl until you got to 80 and then you got one every lvl for the last 5.
    ^ This.

How can you people not see this is the most obvious solution.
    Signature in progress...

I have all classes at 85 except a warrior and priest (60 and 70), and really the only class where I genuinely feel this system has been a true, painful undertaking is my rogue. As someone said really aptly, choices come down to 'what can I live without that the rest does have', it feels very punitive on my rogue, and perhaps that's the reason I haven't leveled my what was to be new main yet.

Other than that the new system, or the old system, to me, comes down to the same. "Choice" is kind of an empty argument, as it's subjective; when I feel my "choices" will make no difference at all, it becomes a chore. "What do I pick THIS time... They all seem pointless/less or more the same" is not an interesting choice either. The problem is that when you make it too interesting (that is, it will MATTER), as is the case with a rogue, the system feels punitive instead of fun ("meh, I take shadowstep but lose prep.." where your choice no longer emphasizes what you gained, but emphasizes what you lost - as opposed to: "I gained 1 of the 3 movement increasing talents". While the latter focuses on gaining an ability, was the choice still fun, since really, picking A B or C would have come down to the same in the long run? It is a very delicate thing.). Again, some classes worked out better than others, but this too is subjective.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-10-09 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    ^ This.

How can you people not see this is the most obvious solution.
    Because the pattern is "everything changes every time".

Sure, you can extrapolate from here, and it would be two new tricks for the favored classes, one for the ones they drag along, and then a new talent tier. But what if they decide, hrm, we want a warrior mobility tier up here, but warriors are already mobile, and they end up nerfing sub level 95 warriors because of a new whatever. Is there a net benefit to the class? Is it a new ability balanced with other new abilities, or is it just the exact same thing except now with a talent point? That second case they did a LOT of this time, and it's poor design. The first case we see more of, and it's good design.

My hope: level 95 brings something new, Path of the Titans or whatever. Level 100 gets more glyphs, level 105 is the next set of talents.

They could give you another talent in 5 levels, but that is just gonna cause more problems again down the line. Unless of course they give you a talent at 95, take it away in the following xpack and give you one at 100 and take it away and give you another one in the xpack after that, etc... etc... etc...

Really the original system(as in vanilla) was superior. The interesting choices were never talent A vs. B. The interesting choice was do I want to go down this tree with a bunch of crap to get this one awesome ability I like. You felt you were progressing towards a goal as you picked up those talents in between. Sure it was pretty easy to screw up and there were a lot of builds that weren't viable, but that is from Blizzard sucking at balancing the system not a fault of the system itself.(wanna see an awesome tree system that works see Rift) But then they started stripping down the trees, and then locked you into 1 tree until you maxed it. Of course the new system is better than *that* sytem, because that system had none of the pros and all of the cons of a talent tree system.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't ghostcrawler say something about this? That in the expansion they will use a special system, so after 90 we might get one each 5 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmethod View Post
    Ok, i love the talent system in MOP, BUT, what will happen in upcoming expansions?

its 15 levels for each talent. its not logical to go through 3 expansions for 1 ability.

And, i doubt it will be 90-105.

Anyone have any ideas, the only logical one would be making the next one only require 5 levels.
    well your not opening your mind up and ur thinking inside the box. Who said blizz has to keep it every 15 levels? Why cant you gain another talent point at 95?

also levels are arbitrary. they dont matter. If blizz gives you 1 ablity every level or gives you 5 abilitys every 5 levels its the same thing.

What they will prolly do is increase the level cap by 5 as they have been doing. youll gain 3 abilitys, one at 91, another 93 and another 95 as always. And then they will add another row of utitlity slots at level 95. Easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think they should have gone with a "one tier per 10 levels" model. After all, you choose your specialization at 10 and it would give more talents overall on the way to 90. Ten talents as opposed to six seems like a better number with a greater variety.
    "Come, Stormrage, and I will show you what happens to those that betray the lord of the Legion!" — Mannoroth.

Blizz likes to shake things up with each expac

expect the talents to change again IMO

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    10 - Class Talent

20 - Class Talent

30 - Spec Talent

40 - Class Talent

50 - Class Talent

60 - Spec Talent

70 - Class Talent

80 - Class Talent

90 - Spec Talent

95 - NOTHING!

Next expansion if I had my way.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Blizz likes to shake things up with each expac

expect the talents to change again IMO
    Seeing as they half ass copied the Diablo 3 system, maybe they will add what made the D3 system awesome in the first place. Runes. Some might say glyphs fill that role... but they really don't glyphs pretty much suck in MoP. Runes in D3 vastly change the ability they affect. That would actually make the MoP talent system interesting, now it's just a couple of toggles that basically just give us what we had before only with less choices.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Seeing as they half ass copied the Diablo 3 system, maybe they will add what made the D3 system awesome in the first place. Runes. Some might say glyphs fill that role... but they really don't glyphs pretty much suck in MoP. Runes in D3 vastly change the ability they affect. That would actually make the MoP talent system interesting, now it's just a couple of toggles that basically just give us what we had before only with less choices.
    Yeah that's why it wont' work. The D3 system was all about making you stronger, while the WoW system is all about making you unique.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyprime View Post
    Huh? I read they were already working on the next expansion. Color me confused.
    You bit the troll-bait, ignore him, and carry on

I'm sure they'll just change it again like everyone else is saying, not a big deal really

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Yeah that's why it wont' work. The D3 system was all about making you stronger, while the WoW system is all about making you unique.
    Lol making you unique? Really? If you don't PvP there is pretty much an ideal spec in every case.(and if you do PvP that also limits your choices) Some classes have a better for aoe vs. better for single target choice in the mix. Which means you switch based on the fight. There is absolutely nothing unique about the current talent system, and there are very few interesting choices.