Thread: Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire

Personally...I love this ability. It hits like a truck on aoe pulls and its just plain awesome...

However.. and maybe I'm just doing this whole tank thing wrong... but is a Brewmaster tank supposed to just spam Blackout kick with his/her chi for shuffle...Because I tried weaving in Breath of Fire...but there just doesn't seem to be any time for it...with the oh so short duration of shuffle >_<

So Brewmaster tank...Breath of Fire pretty much is never used is it?

Build the Shuffle duration up, it can stack.

I like using Rushing Jade Wind as a nice AOE ability, it hits almost as hard as BoK but hits everything in front of you in a line which means you have to be a bit careful not to pull extra packs plus has the added bonus of giving you the Shuffle buff. However I usually find some time to weave in a Breath of Fire or two on each trash pack.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using it a lot (though I'm only lvl 30)
    RIP <SoP>

Deleted
    It's worth using on AoE pulls, something you can do to mitigate the potential dropping of shuffle is to pick up leg sweep and use that to give yourself a few seconds to jab and get shuffle running.

For example: Keg Smash -> Breath of Fire -> Leg Sweep -> Jab -> Jab -> Shuffle

Or you can use dispel harm to generate some chi, another option would be during the Leg Sweep to spinning crane kick twice which should leave you with 4 chi once finished, you could exit the second SCK with a Blackout Kick and/or Guard.

Yup, its def a fun ability. I use the hell out of it in 5 mans, but in a raid there just isn't a place for rotation wise, especially when some mobs are not affected by dizzying haze. It would be much nicer if they gave it a 8 or 10 sec cd instead of costing 2 chi.

Quote Originally Posted by -fenchurch View Post
    It's worth using on AoE pulls, something you can do to mitigate the potential dropping of shuffle is to pick up leg sweep
    It's really not. Threat is not a concern and leg sweep is better saved for when you really need it. If you enjoy the ability, though, it's not a big deal if you want to use it. It does have a cool effect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    It's really not. Threat is not a concern and leg sweep is better saved for when you really need it. If you enjoy the ability, though, it's not a big deal if you want to use it. It does have a cool effect.
    It's not for the threat it's for the damage. And "ok" at your second point.

Level 90 tank.

I don't use breath of fire. Ever. Never really have a chance to.

Between Chi Wave(zen sphere, or chi blast), which I aim to keep on cd/up 100% of the time, Guard, and Blackout Kick - I see no room to squeeze bof in. Breath of fire may be a bit of damage, but Chi wave is a ~200-400k heal, Guard is a ~100k preventative heal, and Shuffle should always be up.

If I have shuffle up, guards on a long cd, and everyones at 100% hp, I'll breath of fire - but honestly..that practically never happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mentioned it before but BoF can be a resource trap for a lot of Monk's. Hard to find times when you can spare the chi unless what your fighting is so easy you don't mind. If the pull takes long enough (some spots in heroic's) you'll eventually get enough lead time on Shuffle to work it in without sacrificing mitigation.

I'll use it after a Leg Sweep sometimes since you don't need to have shuffle up while they are stunned. Mostly I stick with RJW + SCK + KS for AoE with BoK while RJW is on CD.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

I was honestly dissapointed with its dmg, and the fact that a ton of things dont even get dizzying haze (which is dumb, the 3% chance to hit themselves is nice added avoidance, if they're immune to the snare they should still get the debuff) so you dont get the DoT dmg portion. As many others have said, tanking things @ 90? I only use it when w/e Im fighting is a joke so I can see flames and feel special.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by videogamerpat View Post
    Personally...I love this ability. It hits like a truck on aoe pulls and its just plain awesome...

However.. and maybe I'm just doing this whole tank thing wrong... but is a Brewmaster tank supposed to just spam Blackout kick with his/her chi for shuffle...Because I tried weaving in Breath of Fire...but there just doesn't seem to be any time for it...with the oh so short duration of shuffle >_<

So Brewmaster tank...Breath of Fire pretty much is never used is it?
    BoF is pretty much only for when you want to AoE. On a single target boss fight, you'll want to use BO kick instead.

Between my BoF, SCK, Keg Smash and Rushing Jade Wind, I pull ridiculous AoE damage. I'm usually at around 55-60% of the groups damage in AoE fights.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Until Shuffle has a longer than 6 second (initial) duration and/or we get more haste, BoF is very difficult to weave in, and when I'm Mistweaving, I can instantly spot a bad BrM as they pull far too many trash packs, BoF on CD with about 30% shuffle uptime and soaking my mana as if it were a Rogue tanking!

So yea, BoF is awsome, especially for AoE grinding, but don't fall into the trap of having 2 chi, 3 seconds on shuffle, no energy and hitting BoF!