Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

NYC stop and frisk quite racist.

http://nydailynews.com/1.1178891

Well don't we have fine cops in NYC. He was stopped because he was looking at the cops. Stop and frisk seems like nothing but sanctioned racial profiling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    http://nydailynews.com/1.1178891

Well don't we have fine cops in NYC. He was stopped because he was looking at the cops. Stop and frisk seems like nothing but sanctioned racial profiling.
    Don't blame all police for the actions of a few bad eggs.

And stop and frisk, or rather Terry stopping, is an important tool in police arsenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yeah, don't tar all policemen with the same brush. A lot do a fine job and work hard; some abuse their power sure, but punish them. Not the entire lot.

As for this particular story itself... On the one hand, the policemen in question were definitely out of order (horrible language, overly aggressive, etc.), but I do wonder when the victim got the time to start recording on his phone. To not be noticed, he must've been recording before the policemen looked at him; so did he provoke the policemen? Did he throw harrassment their way to 'bait' them into this stop-and-frisk? Would he then have edited out the parts that made him look bad?

I don't know. We're probably not getting the whole story. At any rate, those policemen were definitely wrong to act the way they did. But are the the only ones to blame? Who knows.
    Last edited by Kisho; 2012-10-10 at 01:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Yeah, don't tar all policemen with the same brush. A lot do a fine job and work hard; some abuse their power sure, but punish them. Not the entire lot.

As for this particular story itself... On of the one hand, the policement in question were definitely out of order (horrible language, overly aggressive, etc.), but I do wonder when the victim got the time to start recording on his phone. To not be noticed, he must've been recording before the policemen looked at him; so did he provoke the policemen? Did he throw harrassment there way to 'bait' them into this stop-and-frisk? Would he then have edited out the parts that made him look bad?

I don't know. We're probably not getting the whole story, definitely. At any rate, those policemen were definitely wrong to act the way they did. But are the the only ones to blame? Who knows.
    He certainly looks like a troublemaker. Then again, I'm not Gladys Kravitz.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how this kid was able to record all of this...that's pretty fast handiwork to know the cops would treat him like that just in time for him to record things.

The kid is from Harlem, and looks like a young Thug wannabe. I find nothing about this Racist. I would have done it aswell.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    The kid is from Harlem, and looks like a young Thug wannabe. I find nothing about this Racist. I would have done it aswell.
    The racism is from calling him a "fucking mutt".

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully not all police follow your example.

People generally become police because they want to serve their community. As Kisho said, this is a cut down version of what may have actually happened.

You aren't allowed to have your own thoughts in this country anymore, or the thought police will get you.

Deleted
    New York City cops, they ain't too smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I wonder how this kid was able to record all of this...that's pretty fast handiwork to know the cops would treat him like that just in time for him to record things.
    If he has an iphone then it's like two buttons to record stuff, and they're situated on the side of the phone so you don't need to navigate through an entire menu from memory.

Thug wannabe? Seriously? Take away the hat and that is totally something me or my brothers would wear as white 20~ year olds, and a pretty popular look amongst most of our peers. The only visual indication the cops picked up on was his skin colour.

Sadly this kind of thing isn't exactly new, but still pretty rough to actually see (or hear) it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Thug wannabe? Seriously? Take away the hat and that is totally something me or my brothers would wear as white 20~ year olds, and a pretty popular look amongst most of our peers. The only visual indication the cops picked up on was his skin colour.

Sadly this kind of thing isn't exactly new, but still pretty rough to actually see (or hear) it.
    I think he's damn cute . Thug, though? Yeah I agree...not very thuggish. Just a common style among teens

congratulations. this is the definition of racial profiling
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    congratulations. this is the definition of racial profiling
    Congratulations, no its not. If you look, act or present yourself as a thug/gangsta/criminal then that's dudes fault, its not a race thing unless everyone wants to openly admit that criminal activity is prevalent to certain races. That in itself is racial profiling. Dress properly and don't stare down police like you're a tough guy and maybe this want happen. I see it all the time, people acting tough but when the crap hits the fan they want to pull the race card.

Sadly, in this type of forum the fastest people to drop a race card are white sheltered people and would be the first person to walk the opposite direction that people of any race presenting themselves like this with the quickness. Also, the fact that you just got suckered by sensationalized media is further evidence that people talk far too much as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by chop0080 View Post
    Congratulations, no its not. If you look, act or present yourself as a thug/gangsta/criminal then that's dudes fault, its not a race thing unless everyone wants to openly admit that criminal activity is prevalent to certain races. That in itself is racial profiling. Dress properly and don't stare down police like you're a tough guy and maybe this want happen. I see it all the time, people acting tough but when the crap hits the fan they want to pull the race card.

Sadly, in this type of forum the fastest people to drop a race card are white sheltered people and would be the first person to walk the opposite direction that people of any race presenting themselves like this with the quickness. Also, the fact that you just got suckered by sensationalized media is further evidence that people talk far too much as it is.
    The people who get stopped and frisk are all either black or hispanic... blacks and hispanics are more likely to be stopped and frisked. If race didn't matter an innocent looking person in conservative clothing of any race should have the same rate of getting stopped, but it's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by chop0080 View Post
    So you're saying a white kid would be frisked just as quickly? Hmm, the statistics seem to indicate otherwise.

So... let me get this straight.

He wears a tank top and army fatigue pants. Oh wow. I saw a lot of people wearing similar in some upscale parts of new jersey ! They must be thugs too!

I guess being called a "fucking mutt" isn't racist to you? I don't think he called him a fucking mutt based off anything else lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    So you're saying a white kid would be frisked just as quickly? Hmm, the statistics seem to indicate otherwise.
    Crime is statistically less common amongst white communities, if you're going to play that card.

Not a race thing, an economic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Crime is statistically less common amongst white communities, if you're going to play that card.

But more crimes are committed by whites.

Did anyone watch the video? He got stopped a lot, so when another cop car comes he's looking back at the cops, probably thinking he's going to get stopped again. So they stop him for looking at them, then they ask him "why the fuck do you have an empty bookbag" and he says his hoodie was in it and they say if he's being a smart ass and to watch who he's talking to because the cop will slap him.

What the fuck?!

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Drug related offences beg to differ. There is no vast difference in use yet there is an enormous difference in arrest and prosecution for drug related offences.