Page 1 of 3
LastLast

HR 3600. Write your Congressman and stop this bill TODAY please.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3600.IH:

Congress is attempting to repeal the law preventing Churches from backing political agendas. This is pretty bad news bears. Seriously, write your congressmen. Today. It doesn't take long at all.

Uh....they ignore this law anyway. There's no enforcement. See the Catholic Church's funding of pro-DOMA campaigns, for example.

Of course, my congresswoman is Michelle Bachmann. You think she'd be against this bill?

So corporations and for-profit organizations can donate money and help support campaigns, but you don't want non-profit organizations or churches to be able to do so?

I don't see what's so bad about this to be honest. It's not like we'll suddenly be enacting socially backwards laws or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

What an idiotic law. It's ultimately the voters who decide who to back. Who they listen to is their business and their responsibility, and the government has no right to tell them who they can't listen to when it comes to politics. Nor do you, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    So corporations and for-profit organizations can donate money and help support campaigns, but you don't want non-profit organizations or churches to be able to do so?

I don't see what's so bad about this to be honest. It's not like we'll suddenly be enacting socially backwards laws or anything.
    Sure, but then non-profits and churches get to be taxed; everything: land, payroll, income. Seems like a fair tradeoff to me!

I've seen too many for-profit scam churches to believe they're all not for profit.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    What an idiotic law. It's ultimately the voters who decide who to back. Who they listen to is their business and their responsibility, and the government has no right to tell them who they can't listen to when it comes to politics. Nor do you, OP.
    Money isn't listening or speaking. Sorry to break it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Money isn't listening or speaking. Sorry to break it to you.
    Yes, it is. It pays for ads. The money does not have any concrete effect in these elections, in the sense of the churches in question having direct decision making power. It all comes down to the voters.

Yes, it is. It pays for ads.
    Then where is the speaking part? In the money or in the ads?

I wouldn't have a problem with them backing campaigns provided that pesky 1st Amendment didn't exist.

Oh also they shouldn't have extra money lying around to just donate. They're tax-exempt entities.

yank their tax exemption and we're all good then

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Uh....they ignore this law anyway. There's no enforcement. See the Catholic Church's funding of pro-DOMA campaigns, for example.

Of course, my congresswoman is Michelle Bachmann. You think she'd be against this bill?
    You poor soul. Does she even understand the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    yank their tax exemption and we're all good then
    No, the ability to donate money and speak your mind is not a privilege you pay for in this country, it's a right. As long as they're not making a profit there's no sense in taxing them.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with them backing campaigns provided that pesky 1st Amendment didn't exist.

Oh also they shouldn't have extra money lying around to just donate. They're tax-exempt entities.
    It's not "extra" any more than any other expense towards their cause is "extra". Non-religious tax-exempt organizations make political donations all the time. Some exist solely for that purpose.

No, the ability to donate money and speak your mind is not a privilege you pay for in this country, it's a right. As long as they're not making a profit there's no sense in taxing them.

It's not "extra" any more than any other expense towards their cause is "extra". Non-religious tax-exempt organizations make political donations all the time. Some exist solely for that purpose.
    If it's a right then everyone should be equal in that right. And why don't we call that right a "vote", which people can use to elect representatives......

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You poor soul. Does she even understand the bill?
    She thinks the bill causes autism.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    If it's a right then everyone should be equal in that right. And why don't we call that right a "vote", which people can use to elect representatives......
    Churches don't have a vote. Lol. And everyone does have the equal right to speak their mind or donate to a cause.

As much as it may frustrate you, you have no authority to decide how people decide whom to vote for, nor whom they listen to.

yes, there is. they are either a tax exempt church or they are a political entity. period.

Deleted

"no taxation without representation" - and I think No representation without taxation - call me old fashioned

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    yes, there is. they are either a tax exempt church or they are a political entity. period.
    How much in back taxes do you think they owe? So long national debt?

Separation of Church and State. Churches aren't allowed to have a hand in the legislative process at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    If that were true, why do both sides of the campaign crow about how much money they raised each month?
    concrete

direct

They crow because money talks (in theory anyway, I don't think it makes much difference personally), but the decision rests entirely in the hands of the voters regardless of how much is spent. The money doesn't have direct impact in the form of being a form of voting. It only influences votes to the degree that voters decide to allow it to, and that's entirely up to them to decide.

This is real basic stuff. The voters decide, and they don't need your approval nor the government's for the way that they reach that decision.