Thread: Dysis

10+ Year Old Account

Dysis

So Dysis looks like it could be alot of fun. Its voxel-based real time strategy and first person shooter hybrid.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/330858688/dysis
    The main goal has already been met and is getting close to the first strech goal.

If you are interested in this type of thing go check it out.

Backstory:
    Dysis is a creative voxel-based real time strategy and first person shooter hybrid. You are given an army of robots, the ability to manipulate your environment, and the task of escaping the Dysis. The land is infinite, hostile and mysterious. You must explore, research and survive.
    You've just crash landed; your journey begins with limited resources and the knowledge that you will be facing wave after wave of hostile enemies. You must engage or evade them to survive. You can hide your crash site and base by manipulating the world around you, block by block, or you can bring the fight to the enemy first-hand by piloting a robot and leading your army to victory!
    Last edited by sinilaid; 2012-10-12 at 12:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    backed this
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

I like the sound of this... But never been a fan of the Minecraft graphics... Yes i know its meant to be basic... but its to basic for my liking...
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's basically what someone could do with Minecraft with some ingenuity and time, but they want money for their efforts.

Well, I can't begrudge them wanting to get paid, but no way in hell am I gonna back this. I've seen way too many garbage "It's like Minecraft BUT!" games.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    So it's basically what someone could do with Minecraft with some ingenuity and time, but they want money for their efforts.

Well, I can't begrudge them wanting to get paid, but no way in hell am I gonna back this. I've seen way too many garbage "It's like Minecraft BUT!" games.
    Gotta have to agree on this one.

So these are the comments that we have to put up with any time a game decides to use a similar art style to minecraft? Look I am guessing that ye have little understanding of gaming modding or development but I can ensure you as a programmer it take up vast amounts of time, to not only code, but plan and to test as well. If he makes a well designed game he deserves to be paid, even if it looks like minecraft.

Maybe it will be garbage, but just due to how it looks(which I think actually works for the game) shouldn't mean the game is wrote off. Anyway haven't seen enough to back it, looks good over all, but I don't no how your going to merge an FPS with an RTS, RTS already take a huge amount of control and management to play, I just don't see how your going to have time to go to FPS mode on units, unless it is a very powerful and expensive unit that would be worth getting the most out of. Also has he said anything about mutliplayer, I was not able to find any info on that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    So these are the comments that we have to put up with any time a game decides to use a similar art style to minecraft? Look I am guessing that ye have little understanding of gaming modding or development but I can ensure you as a programmer it take up vast amounts of time, to not only code, but plan and to test as well. If he makes a well designed game he deserves to be paid, even if it looks like minecraft.
    He's including a "creative" feature where you can move individual blocks to make your own little personalized base. That's a blatant grab for attention from Minecraft fans, even if he won't say it outright.

There are people making some mods for Minecraft that are fairly colossal in scope - completely new textures, hundreds of new blocks and items, a complete overhaul of even the most basic systems in Minecraft - and they're doing it for free, basically total conversion mods, or what could basically be a standalone game (like Killing Floor and Red Orchestra, which originated as UT2k4 mods.)

Again, I don't care if he wants to make some money off of this - by all means, he's earning it - I just think a lot of fools are gonna be parted with their money over this because it "looks like Minecraft."

Maybe it will be garbage, but just due to how it looks(which I think actually works for the game) shouldn't mean the game is wrote off. Anyway haven't seen enough to back it, looks good over all, but I don't no how your going to merge an FPS with an RTS, RTS already take a huge amount of control and management to play, I just don't see how your going to have time to go to FPS mode on units, unless it is a very powerful and expensive unit that would be worth getting the most out of. Also has he said anything about mutliplayer, I was not able to find any info on that?
    Yeah, that doesn't make sense either. How are you going to manage your base and workers AND control large numbers of units AND also run around shooting your little popgun at enemy units? If AI-controlled units shoot with unerring accuracy, how is your controlling a unit (complete with its likely less than perfect accuracy) going to help at all?

The only way I could see it being interesting is if one guy was running around in first person as the "commander" unit while the other guy is playing a more traditional RTS, handling the base building and mass movements.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post

So I asked the Dev on Kickstarter and this is what he said:
    1) The FPS mode will be used in a number of ways;
    first, to out maneuver enemies - we are talking like any FPS game here - chances are, you as a player can beat out the AI (if you are decent at FPS games). It'll be an obvious choice if you are winning a war to take some time, pilot a few robots and just have fun - it's quick and easy to jump into a robot, fight for a bit, exit and do something else. It'll also be advantageous if you're doing poorly too - lets say your opponent has more resources - you can't afford to throw waves of robots at them - so you pilot your bots in one at a time, or lead small squads (I'll be discussing squad tactics soon too) - this will allow you to use your skill in lieu of resources.
    The FPS part is built into the core of the game - so it's not just tacked on, it'll be a lot of fun to get in and reign destruction yourself. Plus you can always play creatively, move blocks around, build up a base by hand (though of course you can do that in RTS mode as well).
    2) Right now, multiplayer will consist of skirmish RTS type maps - there will be various sizes, sets of biomes/themes, and you'll get to choose teams (so you can play with or against your friends and throw some AI bots into the mix as well). The smaller maps will probably make for shorter games than the larger

Deleted
    Backed this too a while ago.
    Yes the graphics are similar to minecraft, who cares?

Well if people buy it because it looks like minecraft and don't understand that they are getting them selfs into a base building RTS then I am afraid they made a mistake. And ya, I agree in part the use of blocks is very minecraft like. However this is a great idea for RTS , it will allow you to create walls etc (alot of RTS do this, but it makes sense to do it this way with an FPS element) this way, as you can add variety to them in terms of size or the depth of a trench.

On the point that FPS is a core element, well now I am very interested I assumed it to be tacked on, but if he is making it as a core part of the game I am much more interested in seeing how it will turn out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Backed this too a while ago.
    Yes the graphics are similar to minecraft, who cares?
    Plus you can always play creatively, move blocks around, build up a base by hand (though of course you can do that in RTS mode as well).
    It's not just looking like Minecraft, it's playing like Minecraft. Whatever, though, fools and their money, I guess.

Deleted
    It's not just looking like Minecraft, it's playing like Minecraft.
    And..? I play Minecraft too, and I like it. I also happen to like RTS games.

Whatever, though, fools and their money, I guess.
    Fools with money and fools with biased opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    And..? I play Minecraft too, and I like it. I also happen to like RTS games.
    Right up your alley, then, but you're better off playing Minecraft if you want to build stuff and Starcraft if you want to play an RTS.

Fools with money and fools with biased opinions.
    I have yet to see any "Minecraft-like" game be anything but garbage. I don't really expect this to be any different.

I *especially* think it's gonna be a flop because the FPS/RTS hybrid has been tried *several* times in the past, and it's been a failure every time. Some guy using voxel-based graphics with a creativity mode in order to curry favor with Minecraft addicts doesn't instill a lot of faith in being able to figure out how to complete the formula.