Muscle Gaining Diet

Hey all. Im about to start a weight gaining diet and want to go very hard for atleast a good year.

Im 5'11, 155 pounds and I want to put on some serious muscle bulk between now and June, shooting for 20 pounds, more if possible. I know there are no shortcuts, so I plan on having a strict gym schedule and an even stricter diet. The problem is, Im not entirely sure what that diet should consist of. I know the basics, proteins, hardy meats and meals etc, but Im really looking for someone who knows their stuff to tell me cut and dry whats the best things are to eat, and when / how often to do so.

Thanks a ton in advance !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

15+ Year Old Account
    1. You don't just exercise for a year, get your goal body and magically keep it forever, you'll have to work just as hard to keep it
    2. Gaining 20 pounds of muscle in that period of time is an extremely lofty goal especially when you don't have any knowledge of exercise or diet that you displayed
    3. You don't learn by getting answers to everything from people, you learn by researching and finding your answers through educating yourself and understanding the knowledge you obtain
    4. You didn't specify whether you wanted to get bigger or get stronger, essentially it's one or the other
    5. If you wanted to get big, then SS, SL etc. won't do that for you especially in a year
    6. There aren't magic routines oor recipes, you can have basic guidelines but these are useless unless you educate yourself
    7. You can't succeed in muscle/strength building unless you do many hours of research and spend just as many hours learning through trial and error
    8. This is a very poor place to look for fitness advice, a more logical place would probably be google, it might lead you to a proper bodybuilding or fitness site and not a forum overpopulated by people with too much self worth and very little to back up their knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    1. You don't just exercise for a year, get your goal body and magically keep it forever, you'll have to work just as hard to keep it
    2. Gaining 20 pounds of muscle in that period of time is an extremely lofty goal especially when you don't have any knowledge of exercise or diet that you displayed
    3. You don't learn by getting answers to everything from people, you learn by researching and finding your answers through educating yourself and understanding the knowledge you obtain
    4. You didn't specify whether you wanted to get bigger or get stronger, essentially it's one or the other
    5. If you wanted to get big, then SS, SL etc. won't do that for you especially in a year
    6. There aren't magic routines oor recipes, you can have basic guidelines but these are useless unless you educate yourself
    7. You can't succeed in muscle/strength building unless you do many hours of research and spend just as many hours learning through trial and error
    8. This is a very poor place to look for fitness advice, a more logical place would probably be google, it might lead you to a proper bodybuilding or fitness site and not a forum overpopulated by people with too much self worth and very little to back up their knowledge
    Thank you for being a bit of a douche. Im fully aware of how hard of it is to achieve drastic body changes. I even said myself, Im not here looking for shortcuts, cheat methods, "magic routines or recipes", or anything like that. Im here simply asking for some advice right before I get started on this plan, I did not think there was any harm in that. Are you aware that everyone has to start somewhere? Im here looking for help to better myself, and your bashing me?.. Simply because Im slightly uneducated on the matter? Good on you then man. Im fully aware I need to look for myself and research, and that I have been. For about a good month. But thank you for assuming and using that repetitive fact in about half your points.

Im not some idiot who is under the impression that "IM GONNA GET RIPPED IN WEEKS!!11!!!!" I know the dedication, time, and effort that it requires and Im here to stick it out in the long term.

Im not sure how you can be happy with your self by seemingly trying to shit talk someone out of their goal, but thank you for the criticism, however. If I would have been someone else your post might have completely discouraged me.

and not a forum overpopulated by people with too much self worth and very little to back up their knowledge
    Cause assholes are so much better.
    Last edited by Shullski; 2012-10-13 at 05:33 PM.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Deleted
    To be fair his points are right though. You have set yourself an extremely ambitious goal which is almost impossible to get without some sort of 'cheating'. And with your lack of knowledge i would say your goal is set for failure. So my first tip would be, small goals. Maybe aim for 4 pounds, and then reach that before you set your next goal. Results are the best motivation, and aiming too high is the reason for burning out.

Theres nobody that can tell you what the best thing to eat is. If your just doing a hard bulk the simple answer would be anything than contains loads of energy. That even includes McDonalds, and since your goal is 20pounds you would need to eat a lot of stuff like that and pack on plenty of fat. You can't lean bulk yourself 20 pounds of muscle a year, not even close.

With that said, if you know the basics then there isn't much more to tell you than that without getting anymore information. Eat plenty of proteins, make sure to get your vitamin, don't eat too much fat unless you want to lean bulk. You need to figure your macro nutritions on your own and then just eat stuff that fits in there. Try as much as you can to get fresh non-processed food to avoid excess amounts of sodium.

gaining 20 pounds if youve never worked out before, or worked out a long time ago and stopped is a realistic goal and can be achieved. your going to have to go to 6 meals a day, usually theyre small but if you're looking to gain weight, make them a bit bigger. i get all my information from bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com they have great nutrition and workout plans( and supplements if you wanna go that way). if you do want to supplement, all you really need are the basics; protein, creatine, vitamins/omega 3-6-9, and BCAA's.

btw i wouldnt listen to the trolls here, the fact that you want to go do something to improve yourself is good. hopefully after you reach your goal you can move on to another one from there, because going to the gym and eating healthy isnt really just a diet, its a lifestyle change

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgrazr View Post
    gaining 20 pounds if youve never worked out before, or worked out a long time ago and stopped is a realistic goal and can be achieved. your going to have to go to 6 meals a day, usually theyre small but if you're looking to gain weight, make them a bit bigger. i get all my information from bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com they have great nutrition and workout plans( and supplements if you wanna go that way). if you do want to supplement, all you really need are the basics; protein, creatine, vitamins/omega 3-6-9, and BCAA's.

btw i wouldnt listen to the trolls here, the fact that you want to go do something to improve yourself is good. hopefully after you reach your goal you can move on to another one from there, because going to the gym and eating healthy isnt really just a diet, its a lifestyle change
    Its quite alot anyway you look at it, cause if he has no prior workout experience its limited how effective his workouts are. True that beginner gains will help quite a bit but its still a large goal.

Doing 6 meals a day isn't really neccesary but thats up to one self how you plan your meals out, as long as one reaches the macro goals for the day.

I see no trolling one here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shullski View Post
    Thank you for being a bit of a douche. Im fully aware of how hard of it is to achieve drastic body changes. I even said myself, Im not here looking for shortcuts, cheat methods, "magic routines or recipes", or anything like that. Im here simply asking for some advice right before I get started on this plan, I did not think there was any harm in that. Are you aware that everyone has to start somewhere? Im here looking for help to better myself, and your bashing me?.. Simply because Im slightly uneducated on the matter? Good on you then man. Im fully aware I need to look for myself and research, and that I have been. For about a good month. But thank you for assuming and using that repetitive fact in about half your points.

Im not some idiot who is under the impression that "IM GONNA GET RIPPED IN WEEKS!!11!!!!" I know the dedication, time, and effort that it requires and Im here to stick it out in the long term.

Im not sure how you can be happy with your self by seemingly trying to shit talk someone out of their goal, but thank you for the criticism, however. If I would have been someone else your post might have completely discouraged me.

Cause assholes are so much better.
    It's better to lay down the cold hard facts so that you can leanr and begin achieving immediately rather than be babied by people who may lead you down the wrong path, you have to forge your own path, your own path might end up being the wrong one but you'll learn from that. If someone other than yourself leads you down the wrong path then you'll resent them and you won't learn. When it comes to building muscle learning is everything and the best way to learn is by failing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can sympathize with you! I know what it's like to try and gain a few pounds, I was 140 at the start of this year and I've only just found a plan that has started to work for me. Now whether or not this will work for you...I can't say. But I will say that in the last 3 months I've gained 15 pounds and it seems to be muscle mostly. As people above me have said though, it's all about learning what works for you. I tend to follow this plan fairly closely but I've had to change things up if I found them to be ineffective.

The one thing you definitely have to work on is your diet, you can do all the working out in the world but if you're not eating right it's not going to do a thing for you. I honestly think the main reason I've put on weight in the last few months is less because of the workouts they give you and more in response to the eating plan. Before I was doing MORE workouts but was slacking in the food department. Now that I'm eating more (and better) I see the results. So definitely make the diet a big commitment.

I hope this will at least give you something to read and maybe get some perspective. I also wish you the best of luck, I know from personal experience that gaining weight can be just as hard (if not harder) than losing it.
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2012-10-15 at 04:21 PM.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”