Little case fan help

Ive been saving for months to finally get what I (and i mean me not what you or whoever else) would call a very high end computer with atleast 3-4 years of good use

Heres what ive gotten so far

Coolermaster HAF X full tower
    I7-3770K OC to 4.7ghz
    corsair H100 push pull config to cool that
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo
    16g of ram at 1600
    EVGA Superclocked 660TI (ive always bought the X60 Ti versions of Nvidia cards)
    1TB of WD black HD and a Kingston hyperX 3k 120g for the soon to be Windows 8 OS (windows 7 on currently)

and Now heres the question

The Sabertooth has 6 case fan connectors,
    The sabertooh with its thermal armor comes with 2 tiny fans that take up 2 of the fan connectors
    then i have 2 200mm fans for intake at the front and side (facing graphics card)
    then a 140 mm fan for exhaust out the back
    Then at the top of the case is where my question comes into play
    The H100 supports up to 4 120mm fans which is why i have a push pull config on it
    The HAF X supports above the case under the top mount 2 200mm fans in which i have 1 installed and is taking up the last fan spot on my board
    But since there is 2 200mm fan ports at the top of the HAF X i would like to use both as a exhaust but im not sure how i add a new 4 pin connector so that i can install the last 200mm fan....

I mean i got this far lol and this is my first build and havnt had one single hic-up...

Little help????
    Last edited by Furiex; 2012-10-11 at 12:24 AM.

Deleted
    First of all:
    - HAF X isn't a terrific case really. I'd go a different route.
    - If gaming is your primary use get a 3570k.
    - Why a H100? A decent tower heatsink is all you need - even for moderate-high overclocks.
    - Sabertooth is a very high-end board - will you really use all of its features?
    - Why 16GB of RAM? Sure it's cheap, but 8GB is enough for almost anyone - and when it isn't upgrading to more is easy and cheap.
    - Use the money saved and get a GTX 670 Ti or a bigger SSD. Just because you have always gotten the "X60 Ti" in the past does't mean you can't go a bit further this time. With the money saved on the CPU alone this is entirely possible.

Why mount so many fans in that build? Beyond a certain point it won't do any difference - just create noise. Going 4 fans on a H100 is just ludicrous, and with it you only really need the case-airflow for the GPU.

Anyway, to answer your question, what I would do is get a separate fan controller. That way you can manually, and at all times, control the speed of each individual fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    First of all:
    - HAF X isn't a terrific case really. I'd go a different route.
    - If gaming is your primary use get a 3570k.
    - Why a H100? A decent tower heatsink is all you need - even for moderate-high overclocks.
    - Sabertooth is a very high-end board - will you really use all of its features?
    - Why 16GB of RAM? Sure it's cheap, but 8GB is enough for almost anyone - and when it isn't upgrading to more is easy and cheap.
    - Use the money saved and get a GTX 670 Ti or a bigger SSD. Just because you have always gotten the "X60 Ti" in the past does't mean you can't go a bit further this time. With the money saved on the CPU alone this is entirely possible.

Why mount so many fans in that build? Beyond a certain point it won't do any difference - just create noise. Going 4 fans on a H100 is just ludicrous, and with it you only really need the case-airflow for the GPU.

Anyway, to answer your question, what I would do is get a separate fan controller. That way you can manually, and at all times, control the speed of each individual fans.
    He could have gone cheaper but why go cheap? You wouldn't wanna get a pc just to be fast enough to run something at decent settings and later find yourself having to upgrade again.

The 3770k is a little better than 3570k. Bigger cache, etc. May not seem like a big deal to some but it is. The HAF X is a good case. H100 in a push-pull config means better temps. 16GB if fine too.

Furiex, as suggested you could get a fan controller if you want but I recommend you get a Sunbean multifan port. U can hook up 4 fans to it.

Also you plan on upgrading your video card in the futue wait for nvidia to release their g110k kepler cards to come out (should be out by end of this year) and that will further improve your performance a bit.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-10-11 at 02:50 AM.

Deleted
    "Why go cheap?" - Well then, get a 3960X while you are at it OP. Or heck, why not order yourself a personal supercomputer.

Cheaper? Or just better choice of components?

Bigger cache of the 3770k does nothing for the average user. Perhaps a 5% increase to overall browsing and usability experience - worth $100? Not likely. Spending that $100 on a GPU that will increase overall gaming performance by 20% is... cheap? Or just smart? And as for longevity, the 2500k, 2600k, 3570k, 3770k, 3960X and so on will all become obsolete around the same time. Why? Because they are based on the exact same architecture.

If the OP wants to spend his money this way, that's cool, but there are alternatives.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-10-11 at 02:54 AM.

It's best to not feed case fans off of the MB at all. It's power draw through a sensative and expensive part. Hell, most high performance cases come with fans with molex connectors to be connected directly to the PSU for this very reason.

Yeah, I have all of my case fans hooked up directly to my power supply. (I wear a closed ear headset so noise is of no consequence.) That is usually the simplest way to go if you are not concerned with noise. If you are, do as Marest suggests and get a fan controller to hook them up and throttle them down unless you need the cooling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    He could have gone cheaper but why go cheap? You wouldn't wanna get a pc just to be fast enough to run something at decent settings and later find yourself having to upgrade again.

The 3770k is a little better than 3570k. Bigger cache, etc. May not seem like a big deal to some but it is. The HAF X is a good case. H100 in a push-pull config means better temps. 16GB if fine too.

Furiex, as suggested you could get a fan controller if you want but I recommend you get a Sunbean multifan port. U can hook up 4 fans to it.

Also you plan on upgrading your video card in the futue wait for nvidia to release their g110k kepler cards to come out (should be out by end of this year) and that will further improve your performance a bit.
    For gaming it's one of the worst things you can spend your money on is an i7, there's not really a difference between i5-3570k & i7-3770k in terms of gaming, it doesn't "futureproof" you.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

well to answer your entire post, im not cheaping out? like my first line said, im buying what I and I alone think is my ultimate rig, and have saved for a while

Love the sabertooth board along with the I7, the X60 ti cards have been awesome to me so no reason to get the 370 when the 660TI i bought is the EVGA SC+ edition which when OC just a tiny bit beats the 670

So many fans because i think any person knows, a shit ton of airflow is NEVER a bad thing and the HAF x is not a bad case at all, its actually a very well thought of and put together case with everything i would ever require for the future

This is why you read the first line of posts, says it is all in my opinion.

I know that you don't really want advice on part selection, however I would strongly recommend the next jump in GPU (unless you are planning to upgrade your GPU with every 1 to 2 generations).

Regarding case fans:

Generally they are connected directly to the power supply as this reduces the power draw through the motherboard, however using this method only you will not have fan control or be able to monitor the RPM of the fans. If you are serious about having so many fans then I would go with the general advice and purchase a fan controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Furiex View Post
    well to answer your entire post, im not cheaping out? like my first line said, im buying what I and I alone think is my ultimate rig, and have saved for a while

Love the sabertooth board along with the I7, the X60 ti cards have been awesome to me so no reason to get the 370 when the 660TI i bought is the EVGA SC+ edition which when OC just a tiny bit beats the 670

So many fans because i think any person knows, a shit ton of airflow is NEVER a bad thing and the HAF x is not a bad case at all, its actually a very well thought of and put together case with everything i would ever require for the future

This is why you read the first line of posts, says it is all in my opinion.
    If you're going for longevity, you have some poor choices. Go back 4 years to a comparable build that you're attempting now and you would have a Core 2 Quad with a GTX 9600. No way in hell that's viable now for anything other than poor frame rates at absolute minimum settings. Fast forward 4 years from now, and that GTX 660 TI will be in the same poor position.

1. Drop Nvidia as an option, especially the 660 TI and its 192bit membus. 4 years from now (if you end up keeping it that long), a 192bit membus is going to -completely- gimp you in modern games.

The HD 7950 easily outclasses it in every aspect at the same price. Better performance, better overclockability and more VRAM for higher resolutions and newer games that require it.

2. The Sabertooth and i7 are a waste of money for gaming. Unless you live in an area with 80%+ humidity weekly, the Sabertooth gives little to nothing over boards that are $80 less. The i7 obviously has no benefit over the i5 for gaming purposes.

Take that money and buy a better video card such as the 7970 Ghz. That's currently the best single GPU available, and will greatly outlast anything from Nvidia over the coming years due to reasons mentioned in point #1.

In regards to your fan question, there's no reason to fill up every slot. What you're trying to do is only going to give you craaazy amounts of negative airflow in the case with shit tons of dust build up because of it. Since you're using an H100, just use a single intake in the front, one on the side for the GPU, push out of the H100 on the top and use the exhaust on the back.

I think you're severely underestimating the absurd amount of noise that 12 fans would make in a build.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Where have i ever said i was going for longevity, Ill say it again, i built what i call for right now my ultimate rig, as far as the rest of your post goes, i never even read it lol.

There should be no need for more fans, and any additional exhaust fans I would say will only cause more issues for you. Now go away if you're not going to be stuck in your own little advice-discarding world.

10+ Year Old Account
    after you reach optimum cooling levels, extra fans just add noise, which may sound cool at first, but will end up annoying you and make you not like your computer

i would not buy a ton of fans and a fan controller, and get a second 660ti to go along with the first

if you haven't ordered yet, i would either drop down to a 3570k, or step sideways to X79 and get a 3820, the 3820 is a better CPU for the same price as the 3770k

Where have i ever said i was going for longevity, Ill say it again, i built what i call for right now my ultimate rig, as far as the rest of your post goes, i never even read it lol.
    I must have simply misunderstood the part where you said it would have at least 3-4 years of good use. Am I still reading this wrong?!

Ive been saving for months to finally get what I (and i mean me not what you or whoever else) would call a very high end computer with atleast 3-4 years of good use
    Don't want advice? That's cool, but don't be a jackass about it.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics