Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Also, people keep forgetting, players can set up their own private server like in Minecraft or Terraria so you aren't restricted to just the official servers.
    modding will also be allowed on private servers, you want a big ass ship penis-shaped? you can, mod it in.

Because they're a very powerfull asset, not to mention the number players can get is very limited in number. If you don't like it, that's fine, the developers are making the game they want to make, since they aren't beholden to any investors or a publisher, and they are trying to appeal to the more hardcore crowd.

Also, people keep forgetting, players can set up their own private server like in Minecraft or Terraria so you aren't restricted to just the official servers.
    Ah, MMOs that have experimentation to do. The f2p market is full of them.

I have no intention on ever playing on a private server due to so many reasons that I could write a book about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    modding will also be allowed on private servers, you want a big ass ship penis-shaped? you can, mod it in.
    Honestly, I can't wait for a star wars conversion mod, with the Death Star, and maybe even a super star destroyer, all completely explorable and everything. You know it's gonna happen, might take a while, but it's going to happen. >.>

Again, you can set up your own server on your PC to play on, as far as I understand.

Deleted
    Honestly, I can't wait for a star wars conversion mod, with the Death Star, and maybe even a super star destroyer, all completely explorable and everything. You know it's gonna happen, might take a while, but it's going to happen. >.>

Again, you can set up your own server on your PC to play on, as far as I understand.
    I want a game or a mod that can implement fleet battles like Legends of galactic Heroes one that may be complex to do though

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Yeah but not if you lose it if you logout, that's not a fun mechanic.
    Making things contested sounds like fun to me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Building ships to size and fit on earth is just wrong with dealing in space, the reason ships in space are so big is cus its space, your not limited to earth or gravity, Sorry but small ships like this have no place in space and would get dominated by any hostile force with a clue. Fun fact so far aircraft carriers are larger than every ship cept for one announced for SC so far.

Just cus a ships large doesnt mean it needs more people. Larger ship can mean larger batterys not more complicated, Larger generators, more armor, lots of armor, Larger engines.
    Whilst gravity isn't a limiting factor in space, both physics and economics come into play. Some of the larger vessels on the big image, such as those belonging to Star Wars, Warhammer 40k and EVE are the results of tens of thousands of years technological advancement. They are also produced by galaxy spanning civilisations whilst I expect Star Citizen to be in the colonial or early federation/empire era of future-history.

It takes a lot of mega-tech to build and manoeuver ships on that kind of scale, and if you don't have the resources to build them in significant numbers you end up spending all your money on sticking all your guns to a large, slow target. There's a reason modern armies don't build 100ft. high tanks with 40 cannons instead of 40 normal tanks with 1 cannon each.

It's also worth noting that the franchises I mentioned run heavily on rule-of-cool. Star Wars and Warhammer both feature wizards so their shipsare not necessarily well thought ideas about how future space combat may take place. EVE is a video game and likely the decision to include Titans was based on how cool it would be for a player to pilot a really massive ship.

In a way you're right, the fleets in Star Citizen would get dominated by an enemy with "a clue" (read: larger, older and more advance civilisation) but that's the same for everyone in space, especially when authors imbue their creations with varying degrees of space magic and "realism". So the Federation could kick Star Citizen's butt, but the Star Wars Empire would whip Star Trek. 40k would happily take out the Empire because their weapons work at the kind of distance where your enemy looks like a dot, whilst Star Wars has weapons that work within spitting distance because it looks better on film. The Culture on the other hand could drop antimatter bombs through wormholes from several light-years away, whilst remaining safely in hyperspace moving at a speed measured in kilo-lights allowing them to kick the ass of every civilisation on that chart at once. They'd still do badly in a tangle against one of the truly ancient races that lurk in their galaxy, or some sort of ascended being, or an anime robot 1 billion light years tall.

RSI has released the new Anvil Hornet variants in their pledge store and a new commercial...

"We’re pushing the limits with Star Citizen, and this commercial is our best example yet. It’s rendered 100% in-engine in real time at 4k resolution. We scale everything for the super high resolutions that will be the basis of tomorrow’s gaming experience; our assets are designed with high polycounts instead of having details baked into their textures. That’s a big part of why NVIDIA and AMD have been demoing Star Citizen at 4k! The next generation of CPUs and GPUs will make this kind of experience possible in gameplay, and we are building Star Citizen to be ready. With the Hornet commercial, we wanted to give our backers an early look. If you have a 4k-compatible monitor, select “Original” from the video settings on YouTube (or download the 4k file directly here. ) If you don’t, 1080p is highly recommended."

I'll admit that the stealth version of the Hornet is making me drool. I'll try to upgrade to that version when I start playing the game for real in my Avenger.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-10-22 at 06:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quite nice

Different and not as charming as the Aurora one. Especially considering that it is a combat trailer and I'm not too excited about the (hopefully momentarilyvisuals of the projectiles. Yes it is a minor thing, but that's just me :P

Deleted
    WTB Freelancer variants.

Quite nice

Different and not as charming as the Aurora one. Especially considering that it is a combat trailer and I'm not too excited about the (hopefully momentarilyvisuals of the projectiles. Yes it is a minor thing, but that's just me :P
    the game looks beautiful other than those lasers/guns

The Hornet variants put on sale today was a big hit ($500,000 raised in a day). Enough of a hit to be able to have the $24 million dollar funding goal passed today.

Chris Roberts just announced the $26 million dollar stretch goal.

Enhanced Capital Ship Systems – In addition to the command and control systems we’ve already outlined, we’re going to expand capital ship functions! Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Enhanced Capital Ship Systems – In addition to the command and control systems we’ve already outlined, we’re going to expand capital ship functions! Lead a damage control team to fight fires and repair key systems during battle, control internal bulkheads to slow boarders and man a number of consoles, like navigation and engineering, that will make commanding a capital ship feel even more immersive.
    Damn you game, why do you have to sound so amazing?

If they can pull off all the things they are setting out to do I will be amazed.

$$$ is one thing, having an engine or programmers who can make an engine do all these different things effectively is another.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Game looks cool, but I think it would blow up my computer. =/

Mmm, penis shaped starships. I just had a fond nostalgic memory of Lexx.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    If they can pull off all the things they are setting out to do I will be amazed.

$$$ is one thing, having an engine or programmers who can make an engine do all these different things effectively is another.
    While Chris gave us some great games? Like Wing Commander III. He also gave us some not so great games, like Wing Commander Armada. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles you staple to it. If its not fun? Its still going to be not fun.

We've seen games have lots of time, treasure, and talent, but still faceplant. TOR being just the first that comes to mind.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not coughing up a dime till we get a finished product and can see if its actually fun.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

With the $25 million dollar funding goal passed today ($1 million raised in 4 days!), the Enhanced Alpha goal was unlocked. Chris Roberts announced the $27 million dollar stretch goal...

Banu Merchantman Unlocked – Banu traders are renowed for their merchant prowess, traveling the spacelanes and trading with everyone from humans to the Vanduul! Their sturdy, dedicated trading ships are prized beyond all other transports, sometimes passing from generation to generation of Banu. At $23 million we dedicated additional resources to making Xi’An spacecraft a unique experience. At $27 million, we will expand that same thinking to the Banu! Starting with the merchant ship, the design team will expand Banu technology to offer players a completely different way of experiencing their universe.

"Even though we’ve fully funded the base game, every extra dollar helps to make the experience better. The content we talk about in these stretch goals isn’t “feature creep”; it’s elements we’ve been building and planning that will be all that more impressive with additional resources. In essence, you’re putting things we’ve already discussed for the future into development now. The extra funding means we’re secure in assigning resources to go ahead and begin developing that richer content we had initially planned to fund through the game’s success upon release."
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-10-27 at 04:56 PM.

The pace at which they reach new milestones is insane right now. I can't imagine what it'll be like once they add the arena module to the mix.

Props to the devs for selling in-game crap before the game is even released. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Props to the devs for selling in-game crap before the game is even released. Amazing.
    My thoughts exactly.