Help me understand this game.

What changed from last year when I made this exact question in this thread?

When is this getting released ?

Cya next year.

2 importants things added and fixed

- a planet
    - sort of fps fix (i'm getting 60+ fps with 1060)

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Help me understand this game.

What changed from last year when I made this exact question in this thread?

When is this getting released ?

Cya next year.
    They've added very basic character customization, fixed turrets, added functioning kiosks (used for buying/selling personal items as well as commodities for trading), mining (planetary and asteroid), grouping, rest stops (small space stations), pinging and scanning, FPS missions (though very basic), VOIP/FOIP, a new planet and its 4 moons, introduced ship component functionality (lets you upgrade/replace various ship components like shields, power, etc) which can degrade from taking damage, and vastly improved FPS and stability. They also did a number of polish and balance passes pretty much across the board.

Its still very much a sandbox where you make your own fun, but as of 3.3.5 I've had no crashes, very few framerate dips, and I've enjoyed running some basic missions. That said, I feel that there is currently too much "down time" as you fly from Point A to Point B, making some trips fairly boring. Also, while persistence exists, it resets with each patch.

Do I think it is worth playing right now? Eh, probably not unless you are playing with a group. Its still very much bare-bones, missions rewards are minimal, and outside of a handful of repeatable missions, there's really not a whole lot to do. 3.4.0 looks to be a general patch focusing more on performance and polish. 3.5.0 will be introducing the reputation/law system, salvaging, and the new flight model, oh, and the ArcCorp planet (which should be pretty neat). 3.6.0 looks to be adding guilds, ship-to-ship refueling, and the first iteration of the repair interface (allowing players to manually repair ships). Anything beyond this is not on the current road map.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Q2 2019 might be a good time to check up on the game again, once 3.6.0 is released. Salvage and repair should bring some content that shifts the balance of "down time" enough to make the game feel better. There is still a long way to go, but they made great progress this year.

After several deaths, I've finally managed to clear Security Post Karreah all on my own. For this attempt, I simply bought:

- The medium armor set from Port Olisar
    - The sniper rifle from Port Olisar
    - Three grenades from Grim Hex/Levski (only used two though)
    - 2 stimpacks

It appears that the AI hasn't been programmed to patrol the base; they only move if they see you or hear nearby gunfire (nearby as in: within thirty feet). I crouch-snuck to the stairwell, climbed up, shot the first guy overlooking the main room with the sniper rifle, took cover behind the barrier by him, threw a grenade who came from behind, used the sniper rifle to kill the two guys in the main hall, and then picked up the Behring automatic rifles left by the corpses to clear the rest of the base. The last guy was heavily armored and had a machine gun, and I couldn't poke my head out to snipe him without being gunned down to critical levels (already used 2 stimpacks), so I just used a grenade. I am confused as to why I cannot see the guns I pick off the ground in my inventory. When I flew back to Port Olisar, the Behring I had picked up had apparently disappeared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    After several deaths, I've finally managed to clear Security Post Karreah all on my own. For this attempt, I simply bought:

- The medium armor set from Port Olisar
    - The sniper rifle from Port Olisar
    - Three grenades from Grim Hex/Levski (only used two though)
    - 2 stimpacks

It appears that the AI hasn't been programmed to patrol the base; they only move if they see you or hear nearby gunfire (nearby as in: within thirty feet). I crouch-snuck to the stairwell, climbed up, shot the first guy overlooking the main room with the sniper rifle, took cover behind the barrier by him, threw a grenade who came from behind, used the sniper rifle to kill the two guys in the main hall, and then picked up the Behring automatic rifles left by the corpses to clear the rest of the base. The last guy was heavily armored and had a machine gun, and I couldn't poke my head out to snipe him without being gunned down to critical levels (already used 2 stimpacks), so I just used a grenade. I am confused as to why I cannot see the guns I pick off the ground in my inventory. When I flew back to Port Olisar, the Behring I had picked up had apparently disappeared.
    that's dope, looks like you had fun figuring it all out, personally i am looking forward to improved AI behavior and difficulty from Subsumption. but to your question, the main reason you cannot keep the guns you pick up is because if you have a ship which requires you to use a ladder to enter/exit then you drop the weapon as you also cannot stow it atm either. try using a Drake Cutlass and placing it on the gun rack. if it doesn't glitch and if it actually persists for your account you shld be able to keep using it, otherwise just wait until they introduce full persistence for salvaged items.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    that's dope, looks like you had fun figuring it all out, personally i am looking forward to improved AI behavior and difficulty from Subsumption. but to your question, the main reason you cannot keep the guns you pick up is because if you have a ship which requires you to use a ladder to enter/exit then you drop the weapon as you also cannot stow it atm either. try using a Drake Cutlass and placing it on the gun rack. if it doesn't glitch and if it actually persists for your account you shld be able to keep using it, otherwise just wait until they introduce full persistence for salvaged items.
    Ah, okay, I thought I was doing it wrong.

Just to confirm: we can't vendor weapons/armor/ships yet?

- - - Updated - - -

This is just sad

With the 1500 credits I got from clearing the 7 NPC bandits on Karreah, I bought a laser devastator rifle. Someone on local chat was asking for help getting back to Karreah since he died and his ship was still there, so I spawned my Origin 315, picked him up, and we went to Karreah... only for us to be attacked from behind while we were landing and the ship blown up. My buddy died as the ship blew up and I got crime stat, while I miraculously survived. I ran into the station as the cutlass was shooting at me and made it, and then started resetting crime stat... only for the attacker to sneak up behind me in a white suit and kill me with his pistol before I could finish using the stimpack or run away. I lose my devastator rifle. My buddy spawned his Anvil Hornet and I hopped in as the gunner. We warped back to Karreah and engaged the lone player in his Cutlass as we strafed around, but due to the evasive maneuvers I was not able to get a lock on his ship, and he killed us. At least we knocked off a thruster. Anyways, round 3: I spawn my own Cutlass and let my buddy fly the ship while I take the gunner position. IDK what the copilot seat does, so I just went with what I knew and went with the gunning position. Anyways, we warp in and were able to preemptively take out his cutlass in about 7-10 seconds of sustained fire. We then land and head inside to reset crime stat, and suddenly run into the NPC bandits again! We check around the main hall for bandits before we expose ourselves as we reset crime stat... only for our murderer in the white suit to hop down and kill us all in two seconds. While we had medium armor on! Didn't even get a chance to run, counterattack, or heal; I heard gunfire, moved my fingers to run away, and I was already dead. Lost my sniper rifle. Decided to hang it up for the night.

Free week. Let's give this a run, the installer has got some nice background music so if all else fails, that's a win at least.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Free week. Let's give this a run, the installer has got some nice background music so if all else fails, that's a win at least.
    Quick tip: don't bother trying to save up for a ship or a vehicle, so just spend your free 15000 starting credits on personal armor or weapons. Levski (a small base with a shop on the moon Delamar) has a cool light armor set with a cloak if you value aesthetics, as well as grenades.

You can go to Loreville on the planet Hurston, go to the expo hall, and interact with the ships on display to rent them for the day. You can return the spaceport and then spawn the ship on the hangar pad.

There isn't much in the way of content, so you'll have the most fun if you can find other players to play with. I've found manning turrets on multicrew ships to be more entertaining than flying my own ship hunting down NPC bandits, because with turrets there is a social aspect and the teamwork involved in trying to angle the ship so that the turret can hit the target. BEWARE STOWAWAYS! Ofcourse, if you want to go alone, you can just try to ambush and kill other players. If you want to do so, jump to the moon around Crusader, Celin, and then to Securit Post Karreah, and kill whoever you can. Alternatively, if you're feeling really nasty, you can group up with other players, and while they're piloting the ship... you can kill everyone on board and steal the ship for yourself! RIP your reputation though and finding any other groups for the day.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2018-11-25 at 09:30 AM.

Quick tip: don't bother trying to save up for a ship or a vehicle, so just spend your free 15000 starting credits on personal armor or weapons. Levski (a small base with a shop on the moon Delamar) has a cool light armor set with a cloak if you value aesthetics, as well as grenades.

You can go to Loreville on the planet Hurston, go to the expo hall, and interact with the ships on display to rent them for the day. You can return the spaceport and then spawn the ship on the hangar pad.

There isn't much in the way of content, so you'll have the most fun if you can find other players to play with. I've found manning turrets on multicrew ships to be more entertaining than flying my own ship hunting down NPC bandits, because with turrets there is a social aspect and the teamwork involved in trying to angle the ship so that the turret can hit the target. BEWARE STOWAWAYS! Ofcourse, if you want to go alone, you can just try to ambush and kill other players. If you want to do so, jump to the moon around Crusader, Celin, and then to Securit Post Karreah, and kill whoever you can. Alternatively, if you're feeling really nasty, you can group up with other players, and while they're piloting the ship... you can kill everyone on board and steal the ship for yourself! RIP your reputation though and finding any other groups for the day.

Thanks for the advice mate! I'll do just that
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Well, the game sure is pretty, but... it's all just so tedious; landing on a planet like hurston can take 10 minutes, some missions let you quantum in 70k km away from your actual destination, which is too close to quantum and too far to actually fly.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but this free few hours of game play didn't really capture my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Such a lovely weekend at the expo lol.

The 300i rework is really cool.

Im so mad i wont be able to log the next few days. It seems we wont see any new Vanduul ship (stinger/void mainly) so i guess my wallet is safe haha.

Looks like they made something like 800.000 dollars the first day of the anniversary, and drake and aegis sales are yet to come.

I hope the Idris ll be shown

-snipped video-
    Yay, it actually looks like a comfy luxury ship now! And I have a cargo bay to put my stuff in!

Well, the game sure is pretty, but... it's all just so tedious; landing on a planet like hurston can take 10 minutes, some missions let you quantum in 70k km away from your actual destination, which is too close to quantum and too far to actually fly.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but this free few hours of game play didn't really capture my interest.
    I am in agreement that - as a solo players who has nothing to do during the long flights - it takes too long to quantum jump across the system and to travel from orbit over Hurston to Loreville. If I find alt-tabbing out to read something to be more interesting than playing your game, then... well, that says a lot about how your game is designed, doesn't it? It'd be nice if there were things to actually do while in your cockpit while waiting for the ship to exit the atmosphere to jump/reach the city to land/finish a jump, such as playing a game of go or being able to check prices on other planets or view a log of events that are happening. Obviously, multicrew ships will have the best time since people will be able to interact with each other to pass the time, but right now for singleplayers it just doesn't feel good.

I'm not peeved about the 70km thing, since you can travel at over a 1000km per second, so it should only take a minute to get there.

Yay, it actually looks like a comfy luxury ship now! And I have a cargo bay to put my stuff in!

I am in agreement that - as a solo players who has nothing to do during the long flights - it takes too long to quantum jump across the system and to travel from orbit over Hurston to Loreville. If I find alt-tabbing out to read something to be more interesting than playing your game, then... well, that says a lot about how your game is designed, doesn't it? It'd be nice if there were things to actually do while in your cockpit while waiting for the ship to exit the atmosphere to jump/reach the city to land/finish a jump, such as playing a game of go or being able to check prices on other planets or view a log of events that are happening. Obviously, multicrew ships will have the best time since people will be able to interact with each other to pass the time, but right now for singleplayers it just doesn't feel good.

I'm not peeved about the 70km thing, since you can travel at over a 1000km per second, so it should only take a minute to get there.
    70.000km, not 70km.

Games should be fun and I agree that waiting around isn't that. They could fix things easily, weren't they so hellbent on "realism", ironically.

70.000km, not 70km.
    My bad, I misread. Ouch.

Minimum jump distance should be 100km; far enough so people aren't pulling the Picard Maneuver in battle, but short enough to cut down on extraneous travel times with the afterburner and so that people can actually get on to playing the game.

My bad, I misread. Ouch.

Minimum jump distance should be 100km; far enough so people aren't pulling the Picard Maneuver in battle, but short enough to cut down on extraneous travel times with the afterburner and so that people can actually get on to playing the game.
    Gave this free demo another shot.

I logged on and thought: "Let's try an easy, accessible mission. Pickup and deliver should tickle this particular fancy!" So I accept and hyper whateverjump to the marker on the screen. The ship arrives at the marker and I have to enter a planet's orbit. Fine, let's enter the damn orbit. That took at least 5 minutes, afterwards I needed to fly to the station located somewhere on the planet. I looked for the marker and I found the shiny green triangle saying '200km'. I'm like, pff, 200km only? I'm in a super fancy sci-fi x-man powerranger ship, Imma devour those measly 200km in a jiffy.

Wrong.

5 minutes of complete boredome and I still had 100km to go.

After 7 minutes "Mission failed" appeared in a fancy azure blue at the top of my hud - apparently I was too slow.

The good new is that the uninstaller was super fast!

I sincerely commiserate with the people who actually spent money on this.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-11-26 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, okay, I thought I was doing it wrong.

Just to confirm: we can't vendor weapons/armor/ships yet?

- - - Updated - - -

This is just sad

With the 1500 credits I got from clearing the 7 NPC bandits on Karreah, I bought a laser devastator rifle. Someone on local chat was asking for help getting back to Karreah since he died and his ship was still there, so I spawned my Origin 315, picked him up, and we went to Karreah... only for us to be attacked from behind while we were landing and the ship blown up. My buddy died as the ship blew up and I got crime stat, while I miraculously survived. I ran into the station as the cutlass was shooting at me and made it, and then started resetting crime stat... only for the attacker to sneak up behind me in a white suit and kill me with his pistol before I could finish using the stimpack or run away. I lose my devastator rifle. My buddy spawned his Anvil Hornet and I hopped in as the gunner. We warped back to Karreah and engaged the lone player in his Cutlass as we strafed around, but due to the evasive maneuvers I was not able to get a lock on his ship, and he killed us. At least we knocked off a thruster. Anyways, round 3: I spawn my own Cutlass and let my buddy fly the ship while I take the gunner position. IDK what the copilot seat does, so I just went with what I knew and went with the gunning position. Anyways, we warp in and were able to preemptively take out his cutlass in about 7-10 seconds of sustained fire. We then land and head inside to reset crime stat, and suddenly run into the NPC bandits again! We check around the main hall for bandits before we expose ourselves as we reset crime stat... only for our murderer in the white suit to hop down and kill us all in two seconds. While we had medium armor on! Didn't even get a chance to run, counterattack, or heal; I heard gunfire, moved my fingers to run away, and I was already dead. Lost my sniper rifle. Decided to hang it up for the night.
    yeah, whenever you go to Karreah, you need to do a sweep before you try and hack, also before you go in, do a scan with your ships scanner so you can pick up lifeforms inside. if you are in a group have the other(s) cover while one hacks, then switch.
    70.000km, not 70km.

Games should be fun and I agree that waiting around isn't that. They could fix things easily, weren't they so hellbent on "realism", ironically.
    firstly, you can do a short quantum jump to close the gap on that distance, you just need to recalibrate. secondly, well it is a space sim realism is kinda the point really. it seems that you were not expecting the game to be so slow, but i think that since the game is still in development and you are new asking in chat for pointers, help, others to play with would have been your best bet. ignorance can turn a 5 mins mission packed with action into a 45 mission of tedium and boredom. i suggest waiting until the game is in a more complete state and they re-introduce the tutorial or playing with other people, maybe a friend or joining one of the numerous orgs to help you get better acquainted. it could also just not be the game for you which is alright too.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

firstly, you can do a short quantum jump to close the gap on that distance, you just need to recalibrate. secondly, well it is a space sim realism is kinda the point really. it seems that you were not expecting the game to be so slow, but i think that since the game is still in development and you are new asking in chat for pointers, help, others to play with would have been your best bet. ignorance can turn a 5 mins mission packed with action into a 45 mission of tedium and boredom. i suggest waiting until the game is in a more complete state and they re-introduce the tutorial or playing with other people, maybe a friend or joining one of the numerous orgs to help you get better acquainted. it could also just not be the game for you which is alright too.
    This realism angle does not really hold any water, the planets are 1:6, you have places like Port Olisar way, way outside orbit range, you have players that sprint around as if they are Carl Lewis when in low gravity. In other words realism sounds like a clutch.

The travel times and exiting atmospheres are simply too long and hopefully it is something CIG seriously reconsider. Distances and times need to be enough to impart scale but engagement and interactivity are also really important. People act as though it's no big thing right now but what about when they add huge systems that take an hour or more to reach the jump point, that part of it is just going to be so boring.

A small comparison to Elite, to travel 500 light seconds takes about 2 minutes in Elite while in SC the same distance takes 21 minutes. To travel a distance that would take approximately 1 hour in Elite would take 6 fucking months in Star Citizen! And people moan about Elite having long travel times....

ywell it is a space sim realism is kinda the point really.
    You do know that this is a contradictio in terminis?

I agree that stories (be it films, books or games) have a relative reality to respect but even if Star Citizen would attempt to simulate reality, like Euro Truck Simulator if you will, it doesn't need to be the way it is right now. Would ETS be as entertaining if driving to Italy would actually take 7 hours? Probably not. Anyway, @1001 already explained why the realsim angle doesn't hold and it really doesn't, not with that many discrepancies and not if you want to design a game that's enjoyable for a moderately large audience.

As for quantum jumping short distances: I might have been doing it all wrong, but it wasn't even possible to lock onto that target, never mind recalibrating and spooling up. What about planet bases that are 500km away? The tedium is laid on thick and I sincerely doubt people will enjoy it as a game, with obvious exception of the hardcore space-sim-geeks, of course.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-11-27 at 10:27 PM.

I think you're jumping the gun nocturnus. Something like distance from target using FTL sounds like a simple variable change. Also the overall economy isn't in the game yet, when it is I'm sure you will be able to monitor a wide range of stuff via your mobiglass while traveling.

I for one totally don't mind the travel times.
    I tried the Reclaimer and it takes 20 mins to leave the atmosphere...and that sounds right for a 9 million ton ship.

I like the way you need to plan a trip with friends and that will take up the evening, not running around finishing 5 missions in an hour.

Tbh i loved old WoW when you had to travel to instances and summon the rest, you had fun, talked with friends in the meantime and it was good. Nowadays its hop in with strangers, then teleport back rush,rush, grind, grind.

So this slow pace is fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibutomi View Post
    I for one totally don't mind the travel times.
    I tried the Reclaimer and it takes 20 mins to leave the atmosphere...and that sounds right for a 9 million ton ship.

I like the way you need to plan a trip with friends and that will take up the evening, not running around finishing 5 missions in an hour.

Tbh i loved old WoW when you had to travel to instances and summon the rest, you had fun, talked with friends in the meantime and it was good. Nowadays its hop in with strangers, then teleport back rush,rush, grind, grind.

So this slow pace is fine for me.
    There are also people that love the idea of a boardgame lasting months. But is that a healthy recipe for a large audience? It isn't, which is why such games belong to the niche market.

I admit I don't know what rsi is attempting to accomplish with sc. Are they making a niche game, that actually simulates what astronomers illustrate as a possible reality or a game that's interesting for a large audience.

I don't think they can do both in one game. Come to think of it, this might be the reason they severed the single player experience from sc to begin with.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-11-28 at 12:05 PM.