Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    There's no problem in saying your part of the evocati. The NDA is mostly a way to dampen people's expectations and prevent apocalyptic conclusions from the snowflakes.
    Oh dear....

Next moons in line are the ones orbiting the pilot Microtech, 3 if im not mistaken.
    Yes, and how many of those 3 do you think they will complete?

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Oh dear....
    Yes, and how many of those 3 do you think they will complete?
    Most likely all of them. They were already in the PTU albeit without the final textures.

Most likely all of them. They were already in the PTU albeit without the final textures.
    Lets see then because the ISC video showed them being doubtful about getting all 3 done.

Lets see then because the ISC video showed them being doubtful about getting all 3 done.
    Personaly I care more about Microtech's city landing zone and the Prision / Criminal system gameplay than new moons as we're already well served in that department.

Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-01-30 at 06:02 PM.

Personaly I care more about Microtech's city landing zone and the Prision / Criminal system gameplay than new moons as we're already well served in that department.
    I don't care about the moons either per se but I do care whether they can achieve their targets, especially seeing how much they talked up the latest iteration of planetary tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Dunno, I have yet to see someone denying there is something playable already.
    You keep forgetting. The game exists in two states. It's existance relies on whetever they want to promote how it's very playable while it's inexistance is dependant on trying to excuse whatever issues there are.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

What content is there going to be on these moons? It's cool you can fly down to them but what can you actually do on them? What gameplay purpose will they serve?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    You keep forgetting. The game exists in two states. It's existance relies on whetever they want to promote how it's very playable while it's inexistance is dependant on trying to excuse whatever issues there are.
    See, most people aren't trying to downplay that there are issues. There's going to be issues for as long as development takes. Welcome to the reality of developing a product while it's being play tested by actual people on a variety of systems. There's pros and cons to doing it the traditional way or the CIG way. Neither is guaranteed to create a better end product, but at the very least, there's consistent feedback and bug reporting for a game that's being developed in a live play testing manner versus one that's developed entirely on developer grade computers and only tested internally on optimal systems for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    What content is there going to be on these moons? It's cool you can fly down to them but what can you actually do on them? What gameplay purpose will they serve?
    Most typically have a handful of POIs, including some outposts in which you may or may not be able to purchase/sell resources, and probably a crashed ship or two. I'm not sure if their mission system is set up yet to automatically utilize these new POIs as mission locations, but if so, then you could get some missions to go to these locations; which are basically FedEx or investigation missions. They also may or may not have some caves to explore as well, as I know CIG has been trying to push those like crazy for some reason.

Generally speaking, however, they serve no real purpose, as there are not enough core gameplay systems in place to properly utilize them. Unfortunately, with development shifting away from SC to focus on S42, we probably won't see any new gameplay systems added this year, making these new moons nothing more than "some place to fly down to, that's just like that other place you can fly down to, but a different color."

the “Schrodinger Citizen” theory, where the same people will argue that the game is both released and unreleased depending on what feels convenient at the time.
    Brilliant! I love it.

Oh, but I don't, in fact, just recently in RPGCodex I was talking about the “Schrodinger Citizen” theory, where the same people will argue that the game is both released and unreleased depending on what feels convenient at the time.

But then again, this sort of shit comes from the same people that early on the thread were saying stuff like:

But now keep bringing it up just to shit on it in order to just get back at “dem haters”… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Dey took our jabs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell me how many planets and moons they have in the game since they started working on the tech in 2015?
    there are ~12 planetary bodies.
    In the latest episode of Inside Star Citizen they seem doubtfull about adding a single moon per month despite being on version 4 of their planetary tech.
    If 1 moon in a month is a stretch how long do you think a planet will take?
    you were not listening very well as those moons are using tile sets that they had NEVER made before, so of course it will take longer to make the first ever.
    They delayed introducing the internals of Babbage due to limits they were running up against.
    They have repeatedly said they have to hold off adding things to the game because they are hitting RAM caps on the servers.
    that's literally the reason they introduces SOCS with Microtech to help alleviate that issue. /sigh
    Oh really? So the roadmap reflects all the work being done on Squadron 42? Like come on....
    The roadmap data is pulled directly from the internal project management database.In the spirit of transparency, the data found on this page is pulled directly from JIRA, our internal database that we are using to plan and manage the project. Feature progress and release plans will be updated here in an automated fashion, once per week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    SC also wastes a lot of money on adds (and they spam videos pretty much), wich fixes the numbers unlike other space games.
    sorry, but can you substantiate this claim for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I do aggree with that. They could be inflated by bots.
    why be so reckless with claims that you cannot substantiate? and why is it bots for Star Citizen, but not bots for the other games? this makes no sense.
    as they have said, there will be the usual planetary missions like deliveries, mining, cargo hauling, etc but what point are you trying to make specifically though? as the devs have said they need a place to put the content and more will be added as it comes online, just like everything else.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    there are ~12 planetary bodies.
    you were not listening very well as those moons are using tile sets that they had NEVER made before, so of course it will take longer to make the first ever.
    Look at you try and spin this.... You fanbois say that when the tools and piplelines are optimised they will be able to push out moons, planets and systems at a considerably faster rate. Now that they can't do it you say it's because of something else, when that's not an issue it'll be some other factor. It's just apologism all the way down.

They've been working on their planetary tech for the last 5 years but producing simple, barren moons at a rate of 1 per month is an uncertainty. That does not bode well for the hundreds of moons needed for the full game nor does it bode at all well for all those cities and planets requiring unique art assets...

that's literally the reason they introduces SOCS with Microtech to help alleviate that issue. /sigh
    You've clearly forgotten what was originally said, "They have had to undergo numerous technological overhauls to be able to add new locations to the game and be able to run it with acceptable performance." so yes, SSOCS is added to alleviate the issue and that is precisely the point I was making. They have had to undergo another technological overhaul to add locations to the game and improve acceptable server performance.
    The caveat here is that SSOCS is not doing it's job, the servers were running at 6FPS before and they're running at 6FPS after...

The roadmap data is pulled directly from the internal project management database.
    You claimed that progress was slow because all hands were on Squadron 42 instead of Star Citizen but the roadmap does not back up that claim. That's all I'm saying.

You claimed that progress was slow because all hands were on Squadron 42 instead of Star Citizen but the roadmap does not back up that claim. That's all I'm saying.
    I'd say that the most recent roadmap updates are showing a big shift towards S42. Outside of a few things that were already in the pipe, New Babbage and a few ships, everything that is specific to the PU has been shelved for items that are in both PU and S42, mostly AI stuff. I imagine that they are shifting focus to S42 so that they can hit beta this year, and as such, the development towards SC will nearly come to a halt. Sure, we may get to see some prisons that literally nobody asked for (but its not creep, really. /rolleyes), but all the stuff that really matters, major systems like salvage, repair, the friggin' economy, are all being shelved...again (they did the same thing last year).

I can't really blame them, since S42 should be *much* further along than it is. They've been focusing so much on the PU that S42 has really fallen behind. I'm also happy to see that they're finally pushing the things that will help with basic gameplay in the PU, like cover, player interaction (which is still woefully basic), docking, security, and much improved AI.

As for SSOCS, it's a minor improvement, but all it's going to do is *slightly* reduce the load on the servers, and allow them to do partial persistence; at least so they claim, I'll believe it when I see it. My guess, they shelve that as well, since no new features in SC equates to no real reason to add persistence. The main key feature that the game really needs to move forward is the server meshing, and best estimates were end of the year (2020), so I'm expecting it maybe tail end 2021.

The planet stuff I partially understand. I get that's it been iterated upon quite a bit, and v4 is actually pretty solid from both a design and performance perspective. I understand that it takes a huge amount of work from the artists to get each "tileset" for each planetary body (though tileset is a huge oversimplification), but as more of these tilesets are added, then further planetary bodies should come faster. Should. In theory. Unfortunately, we won't see the fruits of this for a very long time. Why? Because the second system is Pyro, in which the majority of the planetary bodies require unique assets specifically for them. Hollow planet, volcanic planet, shattered planet, a planet being eaten by another gas giant planet. All of which require more time, for what is basically a PvP system; though when I think about it, it makes sense, since PvP is pretty much the only game system they have in the game.

as they have said, there will be the usual planetary missions like deliveries, mining, cargo hauling, etc but what point are you trying to make specifically though? as the devs have said they need a place to put the content and more will be added as it comes online, just like everything else.
    I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question. Elite Dangerous has moons but they're barren and there's virtually nothing to do on them, and I wondered if that would be the case with SC. The problem with a space MMO is that you obviously need lots of space but you can't fill it all with content, you have to concentrate it in places so it feels like an MMO and not an empty sandbox. It's not an easy balance to strike and I wonder how SC will do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at you try and spin this.... You fanbois say that when the tools and piplelines are optimised they will be able to push out moons, planets and systems at a considerably faster rate. Now that they can't do it you say it's because of something else, when that's not an issue it'll be some other factor. It's just apologism all the way down.

They've been working on their planetary tech for the last 5 years but producing simple, barren moons at a rate of 1 per month is an uncertainty. That does not bode well for the hundreds of moons needed for the full game nor does it bode at all well for all those cities and planets requiring unique art assets...
    i mean, is understanding English maybe what you are struggling with? the pipelines are great and allowed them to remake all the planets and locations in the game with Planet Tech v4 in 2 months. now since they are making 2 new tile sets that they have never made before, you think that it should be that much faster? are you forgetting the main reason why the v4 planets only took 2 months and not 2 years to re-make was that they had ALREADY made the tile sets for the different biomes? your response is as though you have not fully comprehended the subject that you are talking about.
    You've clearly forgotten what was originally said, "They have had to undergo numerous technological overhauls to be able to add new locations to the game and be able to run it with acceptable performance." so yes, SSOCS is added to alleviate the issue and that is precisely the point I was making. They have had to undergo another technological overhaul to add locations to the game and improve acceptable server performance.
    The caveat here is that SSOCS is not doing it's job, the servers were running at 6FPS before and they're running at 6FPS after...
    yeah, it's kinda like this is what happens when you introduce new tech...in an alpha... i mean are you complaining about tech that hasn't matured yet and being tested as they are iterating on it in a testing environment? tf? i mean did you forget that when they introduced planet tech v1 that people had sub 15 frames and that tech matured and people can easily get 60-100 fps now? why do you speak as if these things are lost on you? smh.
    .... first i never said all, i just linked their own words that are from the roadmap caveats. second, the majority of the devs are working on Squadron 42, what do you not get about that? the remaining devs still update the PU, but only AFTER the features have been developed and implemented into Squadron 42 first. what is so hard to understand about that?
    I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question. Elite Dangerous has moons but they're barren and there's virtually nothing to do on them, and I wondered if that would be the case with SC. The problem with a space MMO is that you obviously need lots of space but you can't fill it all with content, you have to concentrate it in places so it feels like an MMO and not an empty sandbox. It's not an easy balance to strike and I wonder how SC will do it.
    oh, my bad i assumed you already knew about the current content on moons, like drug labs for illicit cargo trading, box delivery missions, legal cargo missions, some missing person investigation missions (in orbit, on the surface and in caves), mining, racing, in atmo flight combat (new with 3.9), and more i am sure i am forgetting atm.

there will be a lot more procedural content generated especially when Quantum comes online and there are some story missions that take you to moons as well. the new prison gameplay coming in 3.9 takes place on a moon.
    Last edited by Odeezee; 2020-02-06 at 02:02 PM.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Im a noob at this game

Why would u want fixed weapons if u can have gimble weps that autoaim?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    Im a noob at this game

Why would u want fixed weapons if u can have gimble weps that autoaim?
    Can't say for sure in SC but in other games there is a trade off. Gimble normally does less damage.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Can't say for sure in SC but in other games there is a trade off. Gimble normally does less damage.
    As of right now, you can hardly actually hit anything smaller than a Constellation with fixed weapons.