1. #9241
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,605
    Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    This topic is legendary.
    %1 info about game.
    Same people fighting over same stuff with same arguments.
    Chris Robbers is Robbing people! OMG!! Then go complain to the government not here.
    People are happy for being robbed or raped or whatever.

    At least bring some other info, argument so we will read something new.
    Hell with the repeating posts.
    Precisely why I stopped posting here as much as I did five years ago. It's just the usual posters coming here to shit over and over again. Even when you reply to them in good faith with evidence to support your claims, even when you voice your own concerns, you'll be labeled as a delusional fanboy supporting a doomed project. Moved on to discussing it with various Discord groups, where I found civil (and rational) conversation.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  2. #9242
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    ... and again... good for them! Still pretty irrelevant to the point that was being made though.

    Even video games such as Fallout 76 & Anthem that suffered from similar problems can also become decent video games eventually, as long as the developers dedicate themselves to it, now that doesn’t change that the developers over-hyped those games by marketing what the game could eventually become instead of what was actually going to be… causing the most fanatical part of the community to bury their heads in the sand after going around talking about it as if it was the second coming of Jesus while insulting every “hater”, “naysayer”, or whatever other fancy term they were calling them at the time.
    Thw thing is that the point is moot. NMS, Fallout, Anthem and many others were developed in secrecy behind closed doors and people only found out what kind of game they were playing after release.

    Star Citizen has been in open development with playable version for years now whille doing several free-flys a year where anyone can play for themselves without spending a penny.

    The continuous hype around Star Citizen has as much to do with what they have delivered already as with what they have promised.

    That is why it's hype has continuously increased along the years as the steady incremental growth in players and funding shows.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-02-23 at 01:35 PM.

  3. #9243
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    What "people"? When you adress something so vaguely does it realy have a point? Everyone is different and you could say that about anything. New game/music/movie coming out? Some "people" will be disapointed, some will like it.

    People own expectations are just that. Their own expectations.
    No matter what you show you'll never be able control everyone's expectations aka please everyone hence it's irrelevant to try or care about it because it's fundamentally utopian.

    With that said it's completely acceptable that for some gamers Star Citizen is the best game to portray the "real life but in space" experience due to the sheer freedom it's gameplay systems and graphical fidelity provide.

    Just like for someone else that game would be Kerbal, NMS, Elite, EVE etc.

    It's has as much of variable as the human being in itself.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-02-23 at 01:34 PM.

  4. #9244
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    For anyone wanting to understand more about the Carrack Hype this video does a good job explaining it.
    Eh, its alright, I guess. It just has no "character". Maybe it's because its an Anvil ship, but I feel that they could have done so much better. The Carrack is one of the most bland looking ships in the game, and you'd expect something that's trying to be a Serenity to have a bit of character instead of a long box with a pointy nose. I appreciate what the ship is trying to accomplish, but the design itself is quite lacking. But you can't fault SC for their variety of ships, so maybe we'll see a better Serenity-style ship in the future.

  5. #9245
    Imo think it turned out quite well for it's role:


  6. #9246
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Eh, its alright, I guess. It just has no "character". Maybe it's because its an Anvil ship, but I feel that they could have done so much better. The Carrack is one of the most bland looking ships in the game, and you'd expect something that's trying to be a Serenity to have a bit of character instead of a long box with a pointy nose. I appreciate what the ship is trying to accomplish, but the design itself is quite lacking. But you can't fault SC for their variety of ships, so maybe we'll see a better Serenity-style ship in the future.
    It's the silhouette. Iconic spaceships have very distinct silhouettes. You can't mistake the Enterprise, the Millennium Falcon, or Serenity for any other ship.





    Contrast that with the Carrack's silhouette. It doesn't look very distinctive. As you say, it's mostly a box shape. There are tie fighter wings on the sides, but they aren't prominent enough to change the silhouette.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  7. #9247
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's the silhouette. Iconic spaceships have very distinct silhouettes. You can't mistake the Enterprise, the Millennium Falcon, or Serenity for any other ship.

    Contrast that with the Carrack's silhouette. It doesn't look very distinctive. As you say, it's mostly a box shape. There are tie fighter wings on the sides, but they aren't prominent enough to change the silhouette.
    Exactly, and they can do interesting silhouettes (eg: Origin, Drake, CO, Esperia), they just, for some reason, chose not to. The only thing I can think of is that this is an Anvil ship, and most of their ships are fairly plain looking, outside of maybe the Hawk and Crucible. If that was what they were going for, they nailed it.

  8. #9248
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    ... and again... good for them! Still pretty irrelevant to the point that was being made though.

    Even video games such as Fallout 76 & Anthem that suffered from similar problems can also become decent video games eventually, as long as the developers dedicate themselves to it, now that doesn’t change that the developers over-hyped those games by marketing what the game could eventually become instead of what was actually going to be… causing the most fanatical part of the community to bury their heads in the sand after going around talking about it as if it was the second coming of Jesus while insulting every “hater”, “naysayer”, or whatever other fancy term they were calling them at the time.
    That really is the point though. NMS is more an example that sometimes games that have problems and everyone claims as a total travesty end up good if people stick with it. I have no idea if Star Citizen will follow that or not.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

  9. #9249
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    … and again, every “total travesty” can turn around as long as the developers are willing to throw the extra resources at it, but that doesn’t make it ok to lie and mislead people about it, NMS deserved a lot of the heat it got at launch, just as Blizzard with WC:Reforged, Bioware with Anthem and Bethesda with Fallout 76, that said, NMS also deserves the praise it’s getting for putting the effort into turning into a good game instead of just turning their backs at it as many others have.
    That's nice and all but the initial thing I responded to claimed NMS was an example of a game that everyone finally abandoned and stopped defending and that is clearly false. It's not a game that "Crashed and burned" as I quoted. Its a game that had major problems that were turned around. Where Star Citizen is right now, reputationwise, NMS actually would be an example of what they SHOULD do, not an example of a failure.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

  10. #9250
    So... to be perfectly blunt, my biggest problem with Star Citizen is that to play the game, you basically have to "buy" a ship. But since I haven't gotten to play with a ship, I don't know what to even look for. So what winds up happening, is that I just don't pay to play the game, because the choice they've offered is insurmountable.

    I would be *WAY* more interested if they just said "Hey, drop $20 and you can play the game, you just don't get a ship to start out with".

    The fact of the matter is, if I get a ship, I want it to feel like MY ship. Like I earned it for myself, and actually chose it. But without playing the game, you have no way to knowing the value of any of these ships. It's weird, but that's just how the game feels right now. I want to jump into the alpha/beta/whatever it is now, but I also think it's crazy that I'm first asked to make such a potentially important decision, with no context.

  11. #9251
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    18,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    So... to be perfectly blunt, my biggest problem with Star Citizen is that to play the game, you basically have to "buy" a ship. But since I haven't gotten to play with a ship, I don't know what to even look for. So what winds up happening, is that I just don't pay to play the game, because the choice they've offered is insurmountable.

    I would be *WAY* more interested if they just said "Hey, drop $20 and you can play the game, you just don't get a ship to start out with".

    The fact of the matter is, if I get a ship, I want it to feel like MY ship. Like I earned it for myself, and actually chose it. But without playing the game, you have no way to knowing the value of any of these ships. It's weird, but that's just how the game feels right now. I want to jump into the alpha/beta/whatever it is now, but I also think it's crazy that I'm first asked to make such a potentially important decision, with no context.

    They offer free weekends every now and then for people to test ships.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  12. #9252
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    So... to be perfectly blunt, my biggest problem with Star Citizen is that to play the game, you basically have to "buy" a ship. But since I haven't gotten to play with a ship, I don't know what to even look for. So what winds up happening, is that I just don't pay to play the game, because the choice they've offered is insurmountable.

    I would be *WAY* more interested if they just said "Hey, drop $20 and you can play the game, you just don't get a ship to start out with".

    The fact of the matter is, if I get a ship, I want it to feel like MY ship. Like I earned it for myself, and actually chose it. But without playing the game, you have no way to knowing the value of any of these ships. It's weird, but that's just how the game feels right now. I want to jump into the alpha/beta/whatever it is now, but I also think it's crazy that I'm first asked to make such a potentially important decision, with no context.
    There are free-fly events where you can just load up the game and try it out.

  13. #9253
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    40,663
    How about no? How about developers just start releasing games in a decent state at launch? How about developers being honest about what they are selling you instead? At best, NMS should be an example of what you should do AFTER fucking up big time...

    No duh thats obvious dude, credit is still where credit is due. The fact they were able to redeem the game itself is still a good thing. Try to lighten up a little.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance

    Warrior-Magi at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

  14. #9254
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    So... to be perfectly blunt, my biggest problem with Star Citizen is that to play the game, you basically have to "buy" a ship. But since I haven't gotten to play with a ship, I don't know what to even look for. So what winds up happening, is that I just don't pay to play the game, because the choice they've offered is insurmountable.

    I would be *WAY* more interested if they just said "Hey, drop $20 and you can play the game, you just don't get a ship to start out with".

    The fact of the matter is, if I get a ship, I want it to feel like MY ship. Like I earned it for myself, and actually chose it. But without playing the game, you have no way to knowing the value of any of these ships. It's weird, but that's just how the game feels right now. I want to jump into the alpha/beta/whatever it is now, but I also think it's crazy that I'm first asked to make such a potentially important decision, with no context.
    SC was never marketed as a free to play game, and the initial pledge package is cheaper than the vast majority of AAA games these days. Keep an eye out for the Free Fly weekends that pop up, they happen pretty regularly.

  15. #9255
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    SC was never marketed as a free to play game, and the initial pledge package is cheaper than the vast majority of AAA games these days. Keep an eye out for the Free Fly weekends that pop up, they happen pretty regularly.
    All true, but when being presented with different options, you're still asked to make a choice. In all honesty, I'd almost be more inclined to spend $40 if it *didn't* come with anything, simply because it removes that aspect of decision-making. Am I going to reflect back in a few months and think "Man, I should've picked one of the other ships"? That's my concern.

    As for the free-play weekends, I did indeed jump into one back in November. I was extremely impressed with what I experienced, even though my laptop really couldn't run it very well (I plan to upgrade my desktop at some point, so not a huge concern). I still wasn't able to experience flying a ship, though, which was a bit of a bummer.

    All in all, it left a positive impression, but I still can't justify dropping the money when I don't know which ship I "should" pick. Like I said, that's why I think they should consider offering a lower package that doesn't include anything, just to get a more "pure" experience, and not being weighed-down by "did I make the right choice?".

  16. #9256
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    All true, but when being presented with different options, you're still asked to make a choice. In all honesty, I'd almost be more inclined to spend $40 if it *didn't* come with anything, simply because it removes that aspect of decision-making. Am I going to reflect back in a few months and think "Man, I should've picked one of the other ships"? That's my concern.

    As for the free-play weekends, I did indeed jump into one back in November. I was extremely impressed with what I experienced, even though my laptop really couldn't run it very well (I plan to upgrade my desktop at some point, so not a huge concern). I still wasn't able to experience flying a ship, though, which was a bit of a bummer.

    All in all, it left a positive impression, but I still can't justify dropping the money when I don't know which ship I "should" pick. Like I said, that's why I think they should consider offering a lower package that doesn't include anything, just to get a more "pure" experience, and not being weighed-down by "did I make the right choice?".
    Your starter ship isn't that big of a deal. It's your starter ship. It's okay if you start with an Aurora, because you're going to upgrade out of it once you earn enough UEC ingame to rent or buy bigger ships.

    Before the Star Citizen/SQ42 package split, the base package into Star Citizen costed $45 and came with the Aurora (has a bed, can carry multiple people, and has a cargo bay). Today, the cheapest Star Citizen packages are $45 and come with either an Aurora or the Mustang (single seater fighter, no bed or cargo bay). If you had to pick between the two, I'd say go for the Aurora, for the advantages of being able to haul stuff, carry passengers, and using the bed to log off away from a hangar.

    If you are willing to throw in an extra $20, you can upgrade your Aurora/Mustang to either an Avenger or an Origin 300 variant, which have the agile characteristics of fighters and hauling capabilities. The 300 series has a really nice, unobstructed cockpit view, and also has a bed for logging out. IMO, the 315p is the best, as it comes with 12 SCU of cargo space, making it the most versatile ship for me. I can make a lot of money off of hauling and quickly upgrade to a rental Freelancer, or I can do combat missions.

    That being said, I will once again say that like all early access games, you should only throw money at the project if you are satisfied with what you see right now. Assume that the current version of the game is the final version. If you don't like it right now, you should hold off.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  17. #9257
    so u can exchange your starter ship (in my case its mustang) for any other minus the price of the starter ship. can u do that later on as well? say i exchange mustang for titan, can i later exchange titan for cutlass black minus the titan price? talking about real money
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  18. #9258
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    so u can exchange your starter ship (in my case its mustang) for any other minus the price of the starter ship. can u do that later on as well? say i exchange mustang for titan, can i later exchange titan for cutlass black minus the titan price? talking about real money
    Yes, you can upgrade your ship to a bigger ship, minus the price of the ship you are upgrading from. In your case, going from a Titan to a Cutlass Black would cost $50. Go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge and select "ship upgrades". The screen will look like this:



    If you want LTI on your ship, wait for an anniversary sale and buy an LTI item, then upgrade it to the ship you want. It will keep the LTI.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  19. #9259
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you want LTI on your ship, wait for an anniversary sale and buy an LTI item, then upgrade it to the ship you want. It will keep the LTI.
    what is LTI and when is the anniversary sale?

    also, 300i or titan? pros and cons?
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  20. #9260
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    what is LTI and when is the anniversary sale?
    LTI is Lifetime Insurance.

    In Star Citizen, you have to insure your ships. If your ship blows up and doesn't have insurance, you can't respawn it. It's gone. You'll have to buy or rent a new ship.

    By default, your ships come with a few months of insurance, more than enough time to earn enough money to buy new ships or renew your insurance.

    However, there is a prestigious insurance plan called LTI, which lasts forever. If you have a ship with LIT, you will never have to pay insurance on it. You can crash however many times you want and still respawn it.

    There are only two ways to get LTI: 1. buy a ship when it first goes concept sale (almost all of the ships in Star Citizen are well past that stage), or 2. buy an anniversary ship. The anniversary is in mid November, and you have to check every day for the duration of the event because they offer different anniversary ships every day. Last year, they were selling cheap LTI hoverbikes for $45, which could be pretty much upgraded into any ship you wanted with LTI.

    - - - Updated - - -

    also, 300i or titan? pros and cons?
    Avenger Titan:
    • + Fast and very agile, pretty hard to hit unless you are using gimballed weapons or missiles
    • + High firepower for a small ship (Only Hornets and Anvils are better)
    • + 8 SCU cargo space (a lot for a small ship)
    • + has walk in cargo bay. You can drive a hoverbike or a buggy into it.
    • + Room to carry passengers
    • + Bed you can log out from (meaning the next time you log on, you will log in your ship where it was. Otherwise, you log back at the last station you left from).
    • + Ejection seat

    • - The walk in cargo bay is a vulnerability, as people can rush up the ramp and into your ship when you're not looking. They can then try to kill you and hijack your ship. Traders and bounty targets are the most vulnerable here.


    Origin 300 series
    • + Fast and agile (hard to hit without gimballed weapons or missiles)
    • + 8 SCU (a lot for a small ship)
    • + Room to carry passengers
    • + Also has room to place more boxes inside, outside of the 12 SCU cargo bay.
    • + Bed you can log out from
    • + Has a bathroom you can hide in (not that useful because it is very difficult for people to actually infiltrate your ship in the first place)
    • + Is really hard for intruders to infiltrate, due to the only way in out or being a retractable ladder.
    • + Has an unobstructed cockpit view.
    • + Ejection seat

    • +/-Moderate firepower for a small ship

    • - The cargo bay cannot carry a hoverbike or a buggy.
    • - People enter the ship by going up a ladder. If you are trying to run away from pursuers on foot, they can shoot you while you are entering your ship. In an Avenger, you can quickly walk up the ramp and close it behind you.


    The 300i has two variants: the 315p (which is my preferred ship), and the 325a.

    315p
    • + Has 12 SCU (huge amount of cargo space for a small ship. You will struggle to fill it all with Laranite and Aluminum at first).
    • +/- trades the nose weapon slot for a tractor beam (not functional at the moment)

    325a
    • + Has Avenger esque firepower.


    If you are going to upgrade to a Cutlass or a Freelancer, know that ramps are a vulnerability on large ships, as the ramps move slowly enough and the entry is large enough that people can pretty easily get in. Furthermore, there are spaces on those ships for infiltrators to hide in, such as the turrets (or if you have cargo, hiding behind your cargo). You'll either need to use ladders (such as on the Freelancer), or get in the habit of watching your cargo ramp close all the way and checking your ship before taking off, lest your ship loaded with cargo gets hijacked.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-02-25 at 10:46 PM.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •