Part 2 of a deep dive into the technical marvels of Star Citizen by Digital Foundry:

Part1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUFcerTa6Ho

Some kind of prelude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngP6uEfQoE

That was actually a pretty good video. The first one they did was OK, but this one went into some good detail, especially on the texture stuff. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    what is LTI and when is the anniversary sale?

also, 300i or titan? pros and cons?
    You can also go grey market and buy them. You can find bargains there from time to time. I traded there a few years ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/

Livestream showing off the amazing tech they use to rapidly create planets.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Livestream showing off the amazing tech they use to rapidly create planets.

yeah, it's pretty sick. i hope that by the end of the year the Planet Tech will have matured enough and have enough of a database of different biomes to start ramping up star system creation once they are done with the Stanton System this year. i wonder if they are going to do with a procedural distribution of fauna once Planet Tech is done as it's love to see flying, swimming, and walking/sliding/floating creatures in-game soon. the weather and Actor Status system coming in a month looks sick af too.

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    yeah, it's pretty sick. i hope that by the end of the year the Planet Tech will have matured enough and have enough of a database of different biomes to start ramping up star system creation once they are done with the Stanton System this year.
    [X] Doubt

People have been saying variations of the above since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    yeah, it's pretty sick. i hope that by the end of the year the Planet Tech will have matured enough and have enough of a database of different biomes to start ramping up star system creation once they are done with the Stanton System this year.
    Unlikely. The next system is Pyro, and only a few of the bodies there will be able to use Planet Tech v4. Most of the bodies will require special tech.

LTI is Lifetime Insurance.

In Star Citizen, you have to insure your ships. If your ship blows up and doesn't have insurance, you can't respawn it. It's gone. You'll have to buy or rent a new ship.

By default, your ships come with a few months of insurance, more than enough time to earn enough money to buy new ships or renew your insurance.

However, there is a prestigious insurance plan called LTI, which lasts forever. If you have a ship with LIT, you will never have to pay insurance on it. You can crash however many times you want and still respawn it.

There are only two ways to get LTI: 1. buy a ship when it first goes concept sale (almost all of the ships in Star Citizen are well past that stage), or 2. buy an anniversary ship. The anniversary is in mid November, and you have to check every day for the duration of the event because they offer different anniversary ships every day. Last year, they were selling cheap LTI hoverbikes for $45, which could be pretty much upgraded into any ship you wanted with LTI.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are going to upgrade to a Cutlass or a Freelancer, know that ramps are a vulnerability on large ships, as the ramps move slowly enough and the entry is large enough that people can pretty easily get in. Furthermore, there are spaces on those ships for infiltrators to hide in, such as the turrets (or if you have cargo, hiding behind your cargo). You'll either need to use ladders (such as on the Freelancer), or get in the habit of watching your cargo ramp close all the way and checking your ship before taking off, lest your ship loaded with cargo gets hijacked.
    what? u can lose your ship permanently? eve online style? ive got my mustang (starter ship) destroyed several times, also supposedly after my insurance period
    so how does it work exactly?
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

ive got my mustang (starter ship) destroyed several times, also supposedly after my insurance period
    The insurance system hasn't been implemented yet, and the insurance on your starter Mustang is 3 months.

See my prior post.

Once the insurance system goes is implemented, if your ship doesn't have insurance and it blows up, you won't be able to reclaim/respawn your ship at a hangar terminal like you do to respawn your ship right now. It'll be gone forever. However, if you do have insurance (you'll be able to pay ingame UEC to renew your insurance), then you can just go to a hangar terminal, reclaim/respawn your ship, and off you go, just like it is right no ingame.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

The insurance system hasn't been implemented yet, and the insurance on your starter Mustang is 3 months.

See my prior post.

Once the insurance system goes is implemented, if your ship doesn't have insurance and it blows up, you won't be able to reclaim/respawn your ship at a hangar terminal like you do to respawn your ship right now. It'll be gone forever. However, if you do have insurance (you'll be able to pay ingame UEC to renew your insurance), then you can just go to a hangar terminal, reclaim/respawn your ship, and off you go, just like it is right no ingame.
    im pretty sure there was a mention somewhere if you paid real money for the ship you would never lose it, you just have to make sure its insured ingame to be able to use it again even without LTI

what? u can lose your ship permanently? eve online style? ive got my mustang (starter ship) destroyed several times, also supposedly after my insurance period
    any ship you paid real money for you should never lose but if you buy a ship ingame and it gets blown up without insurance then you would lose it then.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-03-03 at 03:19 AM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I honestly do not see them doing this. It would be stupid for them to go through with it.
    Take the situation where someone logs out in space during an exploration journey, they stop playing for a few days due to real life commitments and when they log back in their insurance has lapsed, they now have to get back to UEE space to renew and if anything happens they lose their $400 purchase...

CIG encouraged this belief because it made people prepurchase ships and pay more for LTI....

My guess is that insurance will be an automated system, or it will at least have an optional auto-pay feature. You select which things you want on it, ships, components, etc. and then it determines the fee, which is automatically pulled from your UEC balance on a timed interval. If you have LTI on a ship, then the unmodified base ship will be covered, but any modifications you have made will be separate; for example, swapping out a number of components. Things you aren't legally allowed to have, or things that cannot be insured, always have a risk attached to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Ah... just like real-life
    some players have put in a fair amount of money to back the game so it doesnt really make a difference if you never lose your ships you paid real money for, you cant just instantly spawn in a ship after you have lost it and would have to wait days/weeks for the very large ships before you could get a new one, your always going to have a backup ship and you dont even need a ship at all to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    I honestly do not see them doing this. It would be stupid for them to go through with it.
    Take the situation where someone logs out in space during an exploration journey, they stop playing for a few days due to real life commitments and when they log back in their insurance has lapsed, they now have to get back to UEE space to renew and if anything happens they lose their $400 purchase...

CIG encouraged this belief because it made people prepurchase ships and pay more for LTI....
    maybe having bulk buy as an option to buy as much insurance time as you want with in game credits, buy a year in one go or have a monthly debit come out automatically even if your offline.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-03-03 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    im pretty sure there was a mention somewhere if you paid real money for the ship you would never lose it, you just have to make sure its insured ingame to be able to use it again even without LTI

any ship you paid real money for you should never lose but if you buy a ship ingame and it gets blown up without insurance then you would lose it then.
    I cannot find any official information collaborating this statement.

Looking at the latest official FAQ on on insurance, it appears that permanent ship loss is still the plan for non insured ships, even if they were bought with real money. The obvious exception, ofcourse, being LTI ships, which you will still have to pay UEC to reclaim.

Here is the latest official information on how insurance will work.

Quote Originally Posted by CIG
    The way to ensure that your property will not be lost forever when these events happen is through insurance policies for your ships.

Currently, on the Alpha and Public Test Universe (PTU), all ships and vehicles are given a basic insurance plan that does not expire to facilitate testing. At this time, it requires no upkeep or fee for players to acquire basic ship loss coverage. There may be a fee to file a claim or expedite a replacement, however.

MY PLEDGE COMES WITH 2/3/6/N MONTH INSURANCE. WHEN DOES THIS TIME START?
    The insurance period included in many pledges available now will have some duration in months as indicated in the pledge details. This time will not begin until the game is live and out of testing altogether.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-03-03 at 09:11 PM.

I cannot find any official information collaborating this statement.

Looking at the latest official FAQ on on insurance, it appears that permanent ship loss is still the plan for non insured ships, even if they were bought with real money. The obvious exception, ofcourse, being LTI ships, which you will still have to pay UEC to reclaim.

Here is the latest official information on how insurance will work.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/s...ith-real-money, there is a mention by a CiG emplyee there, i was never 100% sure but it does look like that you wont completely lose a ship even without insurance, may just have to fork out more money to get it back even if it was unisured when it was destroyed.

there is a mention by a CiG emplyee there
    That was then unendorsed by the company.

but it does look like that you wont completely lose a ship even without insuranc
    There is no official word from CIG I can find that suggests this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    CIG was pretty clear on the insurance system from the beginning. "Insurance: 3/6 months" is billed as on of the core features you see when buying a ship or a pledge. You can't miss it. Everyone who bought a pledge saw the words "3/6 month insurance" and immediately realized that there must have been some sort of ship loss system. Anyone who bought the pledge/ship did so knowing that there would be such a system implemented.

In the past, CIG has assuaged fears about the insurance system by saying that "don't worry, the ingame UEC cost to renew insurance will be pretty cheap".

IMO, the real problem is that we have never been given hard numbers as to what "cheap" actually means. Is it, say, 10% the ingame price of the ship? IIRC, the ingame price of a Mustang Alpha is 250,000 UEC, so would a 3 month insurance cost 25,000 UEC? If so, then literally anyone could pay off their insurance after twenty to thirty minutes of easy missions.

The problem with trying to estimate numbers right now is that we are in alpha, and the numbers and game systems are in flux. In 3.7, you could have easily accumulated 25,000 UEC using your mustang by doing simple skimmer missions, but that was back when the AI pirates that spawned in were of no threat to you. Now, it is very difficult (and probably impractical) to do a skimmer mission in a single seater ship, as the AI pirates will tear you to shreds, which means you'd have to do cargo deliveries. The core gameplay loop of Star Citizen hasn't been nailed down. The current gameplay loop and numbers are almost certainly not going to be representative of the loop when the game launches with the insurance system implemented.

I think the playerbase will be fine with insurance, so long as that system isn't insurmountable. Ie, you don't have to grind a lot to pay off the insurance.

so if its 3 months insuracen it already over for me because i nought the game in april 2019 and i destroyed my mustang just recently and got it back
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

so if its 3 months insuracen it already over for me because i nought the game in april 2019 and i destroyed my mustang just recently and got it back
    No! Again, the insurance period does not start until the game actually launches. We are in alpha 3.9 right now.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no insurance/permanent ship loss system implemented ingame.

The problem with trying to estimate numbers right now is that we are in alpha, and the numbers and game systems are in flux. In 3.7, you could have easily accumulated 25,000 UEC using your mustang by doing simple skimmer missions, but that was back when the AI pirates that spawned in were of no threat to you. Now, it is very difficult (and probably impractical) to do a skimmer mission in a single seater ship, as the AI pirates will tear you to shreds, which means you'd have to do cargo deliveries. The core gameplay loop of Star Citizen hasn't been nailed down. The current gameplay loop and numbers are almost certainly not going to be representative of the loop when the game launches with the insurance system implemented.
    I've finally been able to upgrade my computer to run this game after pledging 2 years ago, and I'm having trouble with the combat, I'm glad to know its not just me in regards to getting nuked in half a second.

That said, I only have a Mustang atm, any recommendation on how to practice combat? Or what ship you'd recommend for Merc/Bounty Hunting?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    I've finally been able to upgrade my computer to run this game after pledging 2 years ago, and I'm having trouble with the combat, I'm glad to know its not just me in regards to getting nuked in half a second.

That said, I only have a Mustang atm, any recommendation on how to practice combat? Or what ship you'd recommend for Merc/Bounty Hunting?
    can try the arena commander module to practice combat, aiming for a cutlass or freelancer would be one to start for doing anything combat related or just ask around and see if ppl are needing crew that way you can get money safely on someone elses ship.