Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Who said Elite is crowdfunded
    You did.

This is what you said "Doesn't matter if the kickstarter is finished or not they are still raising money for an ongoing project so it's crowdfunded, point in crowdfunding is raising money for a project."

So Elite's Kickstarter finished but that doesn't matter in your opinion, it's an ongoing project because they've been patching it every 3-4 months and are adding featutres they talked about at the beginning, they are raising money through their storefront and in game purchases. That fits the criteria you laid out.

once a game is released thats the point when a game is not officially crowdfunded and any money is just revenue.
    Oh, so it's ok for you to decide when something is or isn't crowdfunding, fancy that....

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    You did.

This is what you said "Doesn't matter if the kickstarter is finished or not they are still raising money for an ongoing project so it's crowdfunded, point in crowdfunding is raising money for a project."

So Elite's Kickstarter finished but that doesn't matter in your opinion, it's an ongoing project because they've been patching it every 3-4 months and are adding featutres they talked about at the beginning, they are raising money through their storefront and in game purchases. That fits the criteria you laid out.

Oh, so it's ok for you to decide when something is or isn't crowdfunding, fancy that....
    Just because a kickstarter is finished that they cant still raise funds in the same way, finished kickstarter does not mean that the game is released so maybe you need to stop with making assumptions. Crowdfunding is not dependant on still being on a kickstarter website or not.

Until the point the point ED was released then it was still crowdfunding if it was making money for its own store.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Just because a kickstarter is finished that they cant still raise funds in the same way, finished kickstarter does not mean that the game is released so maybe you need to stop with making assumptions. Crowdfunding is not dependant on still being on a kickstarter website or not.
    This is not about kickstarter. Holy shit man

Crowdfunding projects share a number of criteria. Star Citizen does not share that criteria any longer except for 1 thing and only then by the broadest definition. ie people spending money.

Until the point the point ED was released then it was still crowdfunding if it was making money for its own store.
    And once SC stopped crowd-focused funding via stretch goal targets then it was not crowdfunding anymore, now it's no different to pre-orders or sales via its store.
    The money from Elite's store goes towards paying staff to further the project, in the very same way that the money from SC's store goes towards paying staff to further its own project.

This is the point, it is absurd to call Elite crowdfunding and if that is the case then it is equally absurd to call SC crowdfunding because there is no difference...
    Last edited by 1001; 2020-05-26 at 04:10 PM.

snip
    No point in saying anything your just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Oh no sorry, I forgot. They are trying to educate enthusiast of the game and spare them before Chris takes them down. Surely, they are the knights we need but don't deserve.

Better? Surely massages the ego nicely.
    Riiiight, I can see this will be a waste of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Says you.

I say it only fits in the crowdfunding moniker by the loosest of interpretations. Even wikipedia says it's raising small amounts of money from a large source of people. Star Citizen stopped being that a long time ago.

If there are norms associated to a term and your thing falls outside those norms it doesn't get to use the term, simple.
    It is like them saying a gacha game is crowdfunded. They think because long ago the project got money from Kickstarter it is now eternally crowdfunded despite having a fully functional cash shop for years now. Yeesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Then don't say anything and stop moving the goalposts? But what do I know? You're just wrong.

Good one Kenn, your silent arguments have convinced me I am wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    snip.
    you enjoy lying just so you can feel better

Good one Kenn, your silent arguments have convinced me I am wrong...
    already proved you wrong but you keep on lying

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I can guarantee you not everyone got refund. I know several guys who did not even when they asked for it. But I guess you never asked for SC refund so how could you know.
    Ofc not everyone got a refund they had to meet certain criterias. CIG is not a bank were you deposit money and withdrawl whenever you like.

You're right on one thing. I would never ask for a refund on a crowdfunded project and never will because it's money I'm prepared to lose from the start.

Still I regret not backing it earlier.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-05-26 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    You're right on one thing. I would never ask for a refund on a crowdfunded project and never will because it's money I'm prepared to lose from the start.
    Well good thing not everyone is you. If a project lies, mismanges, delays the game, misses multiple multiple deadlines then people should ask for a refund. If you want to leave your money in such a project then that is on you. Too many crowd funded projects turn into complete shitshows, go up in smoke or vanish.

- - - Updated - - -

you enjoy lying just so you can feel better
    You can lay off the personal attacks. You have nothing to say but need to quote me why exactly?

You can lay off the personal attacks. You have nothing to say but need to quote me why exactly?
    your the one blatently lying along with 1001, the only interest you have is actually attacking the game and bring nothing to the table.

Folks, take a step back and a breath, and stay fluffy. Things are getting a bit heated, and if you think that your disagreement with another is at an impasse maybe it's best to just leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Folks, take a step back and a breath, and stay fluffy. Things are getting a bit heated, and if you think that your disagreement with another is at an impasse maybe it's best to just leave it be.
    1001 and kyanion are stating that the game is not crowdfunded

1001 and kyanion are stating that the game is not crowdfunded
    LOL I'm dying here

No one is forcing you to respond. This is not CIG's e-honor on the line.

You might not like my opinion but at least I am providing my reasoning for having those opinions. Whereas most of your rebuttals just consist of "No your wrong", I can see why that might be frustrating

---

My last bit about crowdfunding for now.

It's very convenient for CIG to let people run with the crowdfunding ideal. It lets them off the hook for a lot of things, the largest being a total amount to raise and a release date to abide to.

It encourages the psychological aspect where people feel they are part of a loose community all pitching in. It also means when someone attacks the project they're not just, by proxy, attacking the person they are talking to but everyone involved. It also gives them protection so to speak because crowdfunding is inherent with delays and therefore you are being impatient if you ask where the game is or what's going on.

It means they don't need to concern themselves with targets like stretch goals or crowdfunding goals. All they need to do is come up with a new item and sell it via the store. Likewise they know they will get more selling it that way than if it was an simple unlock for $1 million in "pledges".

They can create artificial scarcity on that item driving demand and then roll it out again at a later date, driving more demand for this hard to obtain item, something that's not really achievable with a stretch goal orientated funding.

I know lots of companys do this sort of manipulative marketing but this is a long way from CIG's roots and kind of spits in the face of what people were initially thinking this company was going to be like. Not really a "by the backers, for the backers" mentality.
    Last edited by 1001; 2020-05-26 at 05:47 PM.

snip
    It doesnt matter what your opion is when your ignoring what is actually true.

CiG is raising small amounts of money from a large number of people, the very definition of crowdfunded.

Its really sad you want to lie this much about a game you say you have no interest in at all.

CiG is raising small amounts of money from a large number of people, the very definition of crowdfunded.

Its really sad you want to lie this much about a game you say you have no interest in at all.
    You're wrong.

--

Holy hell man, you were given a perfect opportunity to back out from this tiresome argument and instead you steamrolled right back in all to protect some stupid company's e-honor.

Give it up already, they are not going to employ you.
    Last edited by 1001; 2020-05-26 at 06:35 PM.

Well good thing not everyone is you. If a project lies, mismanges, delays the game, misses multiple multiple deadlines then people should ask for a refund. If you want to leave your money in such a project then that is on you. Too many crowd funded projects turn into complete shitshows, go up in smoke or vanish.
    Good thing? I call that a bad thing. If people were more knowledgable about game development and crowdfunding instead of being guillable space nerds they wouldn't need to cry about refunds because their nerd hype cashed checks their ego couldn't handle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I am not saying it's scam, but I am saying there are allegations for fraud and while honestly would not be for a first time in crowd funding space but not at this scale..if true.

And I am not saying it's shitty game, because from my point of view, there is no game yet, it's just mess. But again, I was fanboy once, during Warhammer Online period and I can understand blind "passion" for project.
    The passion is for the ambition of the project. I hardly play the game as to me it's fun for a good few days, but without real content and larger server pops it's good as a tech demo.

Again nothing fraudulent here. Unless of course, Chris is spending large money on lifestyle instead of development, but according to their studio/hires it seems that they are spending the money on the game.

• It's not the best game.
    • It has disappointed on release schedule.
    • Interesting management choices and as someone linked, looks like that is confirmed through Glassdoor.
    • Interesting design choices and focusing on minor details rather than major gameplay features (without minor features it will feel soulless, fact).

Does not take away from the fact that currently CIG is pushing the envelope harder than ANY OTHER game studio. For all our sakes, I hope they come out with something good, not great, but good. If not, I hope those technologies are sold off so that other games can pick up where they left off.

Anyway another 2-3 years boys, you arguing (1001 will still be in this thread battling away), beating round the bush. Tiring isn't it?

---

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Discussions should not be about the big bad evil Chris and how CIG is there to screw everyone, make a half assed tech demo and run with the money. But discussion regarding the game, core mechanics and overall positive "vibes". Sure that creates a pink shades echo-chamber, but is that a bad thing? You wouldn't continuously buy lemon ice cream if you hate it. The heck are people getting by being negative about a game that some people clearly don't even play and spend years in this thread ranting the same agenda? Yes, a hostile environment.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2020-05-26 at 06:30 PM.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Discussions should not be about the big bad evil Chris and how CIG is there to screw everyone, make a half assed tech demo and run with the money. But discussion regarding the game, core mechanics and overall positive "vibes". Sure that creates a pink shades echo-chamber, but is that a bad thing? You wouldn't continuously buy lemon ice cream if you hate it. The heck are people getting by being negative about a game that some people clearly don't even play and spend years in this thread ranting the same agenda? Yes, a hostile environment.
    Discussion should be whatever it wants to be as long as it remains on topic and within the forum rules.

Positive vibes/echo chambers are available on Spectrum or the subreddit for those that need it. There are many many reasons why this game and the company making it get criticism and stiffling that criticism is no way to go.

I would also like to see more discussions about core mechanics, the best trade routes, the best pirates to hunt etc. No one ever talks about these things and I can only assume it's because there is minimal variety right now. Tier 0 mechanics/economy and all that.

Or a gacha game, or a game with a functional cash shop. Plenty of games that are not crowdfunded could be called crowdfunded with that loose description. Hell, WoWW falls under the description for crowdfunding based on what you're saying. It isn't.

It is kind of funny how hard you try and defend this multimillion dollar company though. You can call it crowdfunded until you are blue in the face, no one cares. The kickstarter ended YEARS ago and now they have outside investors, a fully fledged cash shop (that is utterly ridiculous) and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Good thing? I call that a bad thing. If people were more knowledgable about game development and crowdfunding instead of being guillable space nerds they wouldn't need to cry about refunds because their nerd hype cashed checks their ego couldn't handle.
    Or wanting refunds because of feature creep, missed deadlines, the game changing scope from what it was originally intended and so on. Not everyone was on board for these changes, massive delays and the like. If they wanted refunds so be it. That is the thing with crowdfunding, until they actually release the product they should be on the hook for refunds and their backers being unsatisfied with what is going on. That is just part of the deal involved with Kickstarter and crowdfunding things.

I don't care if you like it or not, if it is good or bad. It isn't my money and it isn't your money, if someone wants a refund because X or Y then generally they should be able to get it.

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

quoted from star citizen kickstarter FAQ, there was a plan to make an MMO depending on how much money they got. The first version of the game would be a hell of alot easier to make without the need to support tons of players ontop of what the game would provide.

FROM THEIR WEBSITE

"Discover space, build a life. Start your journey here and play today. Star Citizen is the groundbreaking and record-setting Space Sim MMO by Chris Roberts"

-FROM THEIR OWN WEBSITE

I'd stick around to see what your shillbot response will be, but I only had one reason to be here.

(to correct your $kewed perception peddling)

- and you have 385 million reasons to support your crooked agenda.
    Last edited by Bothand; 2020-05-26 at 09:32 PM.