Other Crowdfunded MMO's who started a kickstarter campaign and are still being crowdfunded today through their own stores:

Ashes of Creation

Store: https://accounts.ashesofcreation.com/shop

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
    Failed the meet it's goal, got angel investors and launched it's own store: http://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/

Camelot unchained
    Store: https://store.camelotunchained.com/

Crowfall

Store: https://crowfall.com/en-US/store/?ca...tarter%20Packs

Just some examples. So maybe let go of that grudge against Star Citizen and accept the fact that they earn all that money they get because they have constantly provide their backers with what they want year after year to warrant their funding and stop making up flaws left and right to try to justify your hate towards this project because it rubs you the wrong way for whatever petty reason.

It's not Star Citizen fault that Frontier abandoned Elite to focus on more profitable franchises, just like it's not Star Citizen's fault you got bored of Diablo or whatever game you've been nolifing till you got burned enough and are now are looking for another game to fill that void.

It's a game in development, you don't have to like it, you don't have to endorse it and you don't have to play it or save the people that enjoy doing it. It is what it is. Shitting on it year after year might amuse you and give you some escape for that frustration of not having it like you wanted or waiting for it but ultimately it's all just noise. Useless and irrelevant noise about something you're only being negative about. Something you'll want to forget and even be ashamed off when your older and perceive the value of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Just some examples. So maybe let go of that grudge against Star Citizen and accept the fact that they earn all that money they get because they have constantly provide their backers with what they want year after year to warrant their funding and stop making up flaws left and right to try to justify your hate towards this project because it rubs you the wrong way for whatever petty reason.
    Ah man speaking of grudges, love the attacks. Anyways, all the things you just listed are games that got off the ground with crowdfunding and are now taking money through sales, just like SC. Know what they all are? Games that are past the crowdfunding stage and are now selling shit on a cash shop or whatever method they want to use.

This isn't like Kickstarting a board game and getting the game when it is completed and shipped to you, these are funding video games so of course it will look different than some kickstarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothand View Post
    FROM THEIR WEBSITE

"Discover space, build a life. Start your journey here and play today. Star Citizen is the groundbreaking and record-setting Space Sim MMO by Chris Roberts"

-FROM THEIR OWN WEBSITE

I'd stick around to see what your shillbot response will be, but I only had one reason to be here.

(to correct your $kewed perception peddling)

- and you have 385 million reasons to support your crooked agenda.
    you might want to check what the discussion was about before posting nonsense.

Origional game was not supposed to be an MMO, single player with multiplayer support so in short thats why the game has taken longer to develop, hundreds more ships, twice the star systems, full planet tech and 1 universe for all players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Or a gacha game, or a game with a functional cash shop. Plenty of games that are not crowdfunded could be called crowdfunded with that loose description. Hell, WoWW falls under the description for crowdfunding based on what you're saying. It isn't.

It is kind of funny how hard you try and defend this multimillion dollar company though. You can call it crowdfunded until you are blue in the face, no one cares. The kickstarter ended YEARS ago and now they have outside investors, a fully fledged cash shop (that is utterly ridiculous) and so on.
    I didnt make what the definition of crowdfunding is, you on the otherhand are trying to change what it means so you can talk BS about a game you dont even like or have any intention of playing. Your actually more invested in star citizen and hoping it fails rather than those whole actually like it and are waiting patiently.

Do you complain this much about WoW selling gold, selling character transfers milking ever dollar they can, and still the game is essentially the same as it always has been.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-05-26 at 11:01 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    I didnt make what the definition of crowdfunding is, you on the otherhand are trying to change what it means so you can talk BS about a game you dont even like or have any intention of playing. Your actually more invested in star citizen and hoping it fails rather than those whole actually like it and are waiting patiently.

Do you complain this much about WoW selling gold, selling character transfers milking ever dollar they can, and still the game is essentially the same as it always has been.
    Don't like what I have to say then stop replying to me or put me on ignore or something. I don't care if you like what I have to say or not. Get over it. WoW has nothing to do with SC but nice 'what about X' argument you tried to switch the subject with. Wow also didn't go on Kickstarter to get their game off the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devilzxlin View Post
    space games star citizen and eve online is hard for me
    ask away if you have any specific questions or issues, otherwise i recommend new player guides like this to help you get acquainted with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Tbh, this game makes less sense than politics, to me.
    is there something you have a question about in particular about the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    it seems to me that the dev want to absolutly make the game from scratch, no ?
    I mean there are already several games with working net code and way more players active in a "server" than a few 50.
    why are they blizzarding it and trying to reinvent the wheel for every details ?
    the devs have to make bespoke solutions for things like server netcode and other game systems due to the scope, scale and fidelity of Star Citizen relative to other games, as well as the engine that they are using relative to other that are available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Do you seriously still believe that? I lost faith already 2 years ago that this game ever will be finished.
    i don't think that any faith is required as they will either not release or release. i get that it is hard to wait, but people need to remember that we have not been waiting that long relative to other single projects and CIG is working on TWO games at the same time, though Squadron 42 has been more of the focus with ~75% of the devs working on it for the last few years and once that releases they will all focus on Star Citizen, the MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    You are using word "good" very liberally here. SC experience is awful, and while you can say "But I had more fun in SC than in any other AAA game", noone can prove it wrong, however some people enjoy eating shit for some reason. SC experience, for now, is objectively not good and and this free week is once again proof of that.
    this is not a statement that is true for everyone, while some people may be experiencing issues there are many who are not. i never had a queue, or issues with doors, elevators, ramps, i have only had at most one 30k server connection error a day and have never gotten so broken that i needed an account reset. many issues that people are facing are hardware and IPS related as since the game does get some optimizations every patch, they pale in comparison with those that the game will receive during the beta phase of development, so as is common with most alphas it helps if you can brute-force your gameplay, so having at least 16gb of ram, the game saved to an ssd and a decent high-speed connection are a must.
    Also 50 player limit was supposed to be already lifted and player cap increased like 1-2 years ago. They even tried it after implementing their "jesus" tech, but it didn't work out so they reverted it. Now they have another "jesus" tech in production, but I think at this point is pretty clear, things are not going in a way they hoped and honestly, I don't believe they have talent to turn this ship around.
    you are mistaken. the increase to 50 players was done 2 years ago and they recently, as in this year, did a test to increase it to 60 players per server during Evocati testing so they could get telemetry for an eventual increase. though back in 2017 they did a test with just the devs for 100 players on a server, but that was before 3.0 so that was before they introduced planetary bodies you could land on.
    But I want address this point. People, including me, bought into the promises, which were broken. It's absolutely crucial to talk about it. One way or another, SC is going to set colossal precedence for crowd funding market. It's extremely important to point at problems with development and if the game will go down in a way, how many people believe it will go, there has to be crowd of people or platform, which will be vocal enough, so failure wont just go away unnoticed.
    what promises in particular do you think CIG broke? and do you think that backers do not give critical feedback to the devs and if so why? but more importantly how does critiquing the game on a forums of another game make Star Citizen better?
    It's not okay to promise everything, take over 300 mil from people (for now) and deliver ..well, nothing. It's happening too often in crowd funding space, where devs just spent money and run away and nothing ever happen. There are also some credible allegations actual fraud is happening. You may believe it or you don't, fact is, it should be talked about.
    this is rather uncharitable, no? there is an alpha that any backer, and during Free Fly Weeks (like we are having now) anybody, can play that they keep updating ever quarter with content, tech, systems and mechanics. what credible allegations of fraud have there been? i have not heard of any so i would be curious to see what you have on it.
    I am here since 2012 and it was rollercoaster. 2.6 was the best SC we ever had and but it went downhill since then. There just has to be reason why it happen.
    this is a very curious statement and makes me wonder what you thought the game was going to be given that you thought 2.6 was the best the game was, now if you had said that the best experience so far was 3.7 then i would believe that you actually test the game as it was the most stable and had a decent amount of content, though that will be eventually fixed as all other issues in the past have been, it is only a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    But maybe it would have actually released at some point and pleased its fanbase and backers with a good, functional product instead of a pipe dream that tries to do everything and shits itself in the process, fueled by screenshots and thousand-dollars spaceships you can't play.
    this is what the fanbase wants though we want the grandiose game that the stretch-goals expanded it to after the initial kickstarter plan was scrapped for it.
    I'm not even sure if what they want to do with SC is even possible at this point. No server architecture on the planet can handle a hundred times the the hundreds of thousands (more?) of moving parts present in each star system, on top of the NPCs required to populate the world and the mass of player one expects from a cutting-edge MMO. The project's scope should never have been allowed to blow up this much, no matter the fan demand, because fans mostly don't know shit about how games are actually made and run.
    but they keep knocking down technological hurdles as time progresses and remember there is not tech that can do it until there is, someone has to try and that's what i am here for, to support them in their endeavor. there are many other more accessible games that people can play, all games don't have to be the same, let the devs try and get this done, that's why we support them, right?
    Better any old game that actually releases and works than a universe that lasts an hour before the servers explode, and that's with 1/100th of the promised game still in it. Elite: Dangerous is actually playable, if not my cup of tea, and before you pull out the usual argument I sure as fuck wouldn't brag about Twitch stats that barely beat those of No Man's Sky.
    but why does Star Citizen have to be that old game though? if you don't want to wait for Star Citizen to release then there are many old and released games out there to play. Star Citizen is not trying to be like the other old games. yes the game currently has bugs and instability for some players but it's still in alpha and can we please not act as though other released games don't also have bugs, some even game-breaking. and let's not misrepresent the Twitch stats, though not a perfect metric, Star Citizen has viewership on average that is 2 to 5 times greater than all the other space themed games combined. it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Why dont you rewatch it, note he says some multiplayer not an MMO, and the kickstarter does not mention MMO once, having multiplayer and being an MMO are two different things.
    your are mistaken, as it is part of the GLA with Crytek where the "game" included both Squadron 42 (single player campaign) and Star Citizen (MMO). so while Chris may not have stated it in the pitch (too lazy to re-watch it), it was stated on the kickstarter site and in the contract for CryEngine from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    When the devs will stop getting paid for nothing but tech demos and promises? It's really that simple. Why release a product when you can just sell its illusion? A released product is one that is open to criticism, but a dream lasts forever.
    forgive me, but how does CIG qualify? i mean they literally have an alpha for one of the games they are developing that backers can actually play and that is regularly updated.
    If you ask me, the "but it's alpha!" defense really falters as soon as the devs start asking for money in-game, for any game. Sure, initial investment required, fine, that's how Kickstarter and early access works. Thousand-dollars ships you can't play yet? That is completely different. I called bullshit when, say, Hearthstone opened its cash shop when the game was still in beta, and Star Citizen's monetization is far, far worse, and makes it the only game that the devs have basically no incentive to even finish, if it's actually true that they'll stop selling ships after release that is.
    sorry but it seems like you are conflating unrelated issues. from the beginning CIG has offered pledges for dev funding, from the beginning those pledges were for things that backers could not access yet. in fact you can now purchase ~90% of the ships you can pledge for with in-game currency so that would counter your point about the devs just taking backer money indefinitely and they would have a greater incentive to release the game as now fewer backers will need to pledge more for ships that they can just earn in-game?

also saying it's "alpha" is not a defense it is a point of fact. /shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by Agartha View Post
    I tried watching a stream today where a bunch of guys were going to do some missions with a Valkyrie. 2 guys died trying to get into the ship because the door is bugged, then they spent half an hour sitting around because they were all bugged and couldn't use the quantum drive. Then they tried bounty hunting and spent 45 minute chasing dots around but kept getting spool bugs, and it turns out the tracking dots were bugged then they tried a mission of some kind where they were hot dropping vehicles from the valk and they all exploded immediately upon exiting the ramp whereupon they respawned like 20 minutes away. This game is so hilariously bad right now it's unbelievable. On top of that most of the talk was about buying ships for absurd prices with real money.
    i suggest trying it out for yourself if you have at least 16gb of ram, an ssd to download the game to and a high-speed internet connection. you can use my link here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/e...STAR-3QDY-SZBG or anyone else's that you like to get started. i find that when i watch Star Citizen streams many people just don't know what to do as it can be very unforgiving to new players or those who play it occasionally as they do not know the right settings and workarounds to improve the gaming experience during the alpha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yeah, the current patch, 3.9, is far and away the buggiest SC has ever been. The game is borderline unplayable ATM.

Supposedly the game was supposed to get better with a new patch on Friday (the 22nd) but I personally haven't noticed any real improvements.

The prior patches had their bugs but 3.9 is just unplayable.

I could not in good faith recommend that people play SC right now. It's just not a fun experience.

Wait until the servers and missions actually work.
    it seems like it's pretty hit or miss atm, my gaming experience seems to be well above average, but here's hoping CIG can get a hold of things and get us back to 3.7 stability levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post
    I want that game to get out succesfully, I really do. but everything we see lately is like a cold shower.
    what happen if the whales giving the most money start to think they have plenty enough already and stop buying so much ships and all?
    more than once already this project had funding project and had to find new investors, then the cash shop with overpriced ships...
    how long can they last if the interest continue to wane down?
    this year is going to be the worst yet with most of the teams on the solo game, when will SQ42 beta start? how long? when will it go gold and be released?
    because until then the alpha multi isn't going to get much more work, and in these times, people's attention can be lost quite fast & easily.
    only when SQ42 is out and they use it as the core of the multi may we finally see the light at the end of the tunnel because as things are now, we are more likely to have a road accident than see the full game released.
    there will be a Squadron 42 update video being released soon, so we will know more then, but due to the 'Rona i would say barring any other major issues SQ42 could be out before the end of 2021 assuming they can run their closed beta at the end of this year or during the first quarter of 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    What an interesting thread

Crowdfunding or not, it seems crazy that people ever believe this game is going to be released. Why would it ? They make tons of money with a game in Alpha, releasing it means they'd be "forced" to solve bugs and other issues. Here they can create whatever they want at whatever cost, people will still pay, and if the thing doesn't work they have an army to defend them saying "calm down dude, it's an alpha".
    Alpha/Beta are only here to justify companies racking money without having to justify any sort of QA, as the game isn't officially released. You have expectations with a Released game. You are supposed to accept buggy or shit experience in Beta and even more in Alpha.

That's like the same thing happening in Warframe, which was in Beta but was never "officially" released.
    i am confused by your comment. do you believe that CIG doesn't state multiple times that the games are still unfinished and that Star Citizen is still currently in alpha when you pledge? you do not have to pledge if you do not want to support the development of the game. you are not being tricked into backing and currently you have a 30-day refund window if you find the game or current state of the game not to your liking.

just for clarity, as i believe this gets lost in emotions, misinformation and misconceptions in this thread a lot; Alpha is for features and mechanics proof of concept, beta is when the game is feature complete and goes through content addition, bug fixing and optimizations, then the game goes gold and is released.

for those who cannot make it to see the star of the current in-game event Fleet Week i thought you might like to see the star of the show (not my screenshot):

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

He never said that. Stop making shit up or own your quotes. If you post whatever shit you like on a public forum expect to be called out on it. If you can't source your shit you're the waste of time which is nothing new to anyone following this thread for more than a couple of pages.
    He's probably referring to the old Terms of Service which had that part in it. It was removed in a later version which did stir controversy back in the day.

For context, we were supposed to be delivered financial if SC failed to deliver within x months of the estimated release date. First it was 12 months, then they changed it to 18(after getting close to the first date), then it was finally removed.
    This section was tied into the refunds part.

So much for Kenn denying release dates btw. They always were a thing.

This just goes to show selective memory really. I am 99% sure we had this discussion right here in the thread a few years back.

Boy, this thread moves fast now. I love it!
    Last edited by Majestic12; 2020-05-26 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    snip
    not mistaken at all, the origional game kickstarter states in the FAQ is was not an MMO and there is no mention of it being an MMO anywhere in the kickstarter

this is what the fanbase wants though we want the grandiose game that the stretch-goals expanded it to after the initial kickstarter plan was scrapped for it.
    This is one of the most disingenuous arguments from your camp. Backers voted for an increased scope, but I'd bet my life savings that they didn't want this.

If you asked all of those people if they'd be fine with getting to 2020 and being nowhere near release, that poll would've been diametrically opposed to what it was.

I voted no in that poll and I was in a very small minority. That's what happens when you, very early in development, ask a kid in a candystore if they want more candy. When RSI made that poll, they knew what the result would be. Chris knew it too and it's precisely what he wanted.

You know enough to know this too.

I personally didn't think that much about it until the later years when Chris' mismanagement started getting apparent. That was 2015, and when I started to look in to Chris' background with Freelancer, everything became so clear. Chris wanted retribution and wanted to go the featurecreep route yet again, despite his horrible fail last time which caused him to be kicked off the project.

what promises in particular do you think CIG broke?
    Three biggest for me:

Financial accountability - slowly modifying the ToS to screw over the backers.

Delivery/release dates - Touted endlessly year after year, referenced in the ToS only to eventually disappear entirely.

LTI - Marketing bullshit which promised certain things that they backed down on for the sake of $. This is the original "broken promise".

There's been some serious scumfuckery in this project ever since its inception especially on the marketing department. This isn't a broken promise per se, but it's a night and day difference from "The Pledge" that Chris sent out after the successful funding of the kickstarter.

CIG used to be a very humble and down-to-earth company. Now they're a big company that can't deliver, pull off shady marketing strategies, communicates extremely poorly and often just shuts up completely while letting dates pass.

Also, mandatory shoutout to Derek Smart. I don't agree with everything he has done, especially attacking Sandi Gardiner on the porn publically, but he really did poke holes in this project and exposed Chris for what he is.

Derek Smart was right. No game.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    This is one of the most disingenuous arguments from your camp. Backers voted for an increased scope, but I'd bet my life savings that they didn't want this.

If you asked all of those people if they'd be fine with getting to 2020 and being nowhere near release, that poll would've been diametrically opposed to what it was.

I voted no in that poll and I was in a very small minority. That's what happens when you, very early in development, ask a kid in a candystore if they want more candy. When RSI made that poll, they knew what the result would be. Chris knew it too and it's precisely what he wanted.

You know enough to know this too.
    The thing is, devil's advocate, they (or at least a significant enough section of them) keep paying for it. I doubt this nonsense would be able to continue if the whales didn't buy pixel ship packs the price of a brand new car. So some of them at least are just fine with the project taking this long and keep throwing money at it.

Whenever that makes for an ethical business practice, well, eyes of the beholder and all that. I sure don't think so at all, IMO Star Citizen is only barely less scummy than the average Asian mobile cashgrab and I won't give a single cent of my money to them so long as that business model holds. IF the game releases and has none of these macrotransactions, or maybe just a WoW-esque cash shop with player services, I may try it. If they still sell ships with gameplay benefits and friggin insurance (like, really now) for real money after release? We've reached Tencent levels of awful here boys.

The thing is, devil's advocate, they (or at least a significant enough section of them) keep paying for it. I doubt this nonsense would be able to continue if the whales didn't buy pixel ship packs the price of a brand new car. So some of them at least are just fine with the project taking this long and keep throwing money at it.
    Oh there is no doubt that whales and even dolphins and people with hardly any disposable income are throwing money at it. If the whales get tired of the delays however you'll see some drastic changes coming around.

- - - Updated - - -

Whenever that makes for an ethical business practice, well, eyes of the beholder and all that. I sure don't think so at all, IMO Star Citizen is only barely less scummy than the average Asian mobile cashgrab and I won't give a single cent of my money to them so long as that business model holds. IF the game releases and has none of these macrotransactions, or maybe just a WoW-esque cash shop with player services, I may try it. If they still sell ships with gameplay benefits and friggin insurance (like, really now) for real money after release? We've reached Tencent levels of awful here boys.
    I'm with you on this one, I can't stand cash shops for direct power and that is what SC thrives on, it is the power of your wallet that gives you advantages that would take regular players forever to earn. The game isn't even launched and people would be hella behind in PvP aspects of the game, gathering materials and so on. Wow's token is as far as I'd want to go in any type of game and if I was a new player coming into a game with a token system like that I might not even be that interested in it.

Oh there is no doubt that whales and even dolphins and people with hardly any disposable income are throwing money at it. If the whales get tired of the delays however you'll see some drastic changes coming around.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with you on this one, I can't stand cash shops for direct power and that is what SC thrives on, it is the power of your wallet that gives you advantages that would take regular players forever to earn. The game isn't even launched and people would be hella behind in PvP aspects of the game, gathering materials and so on. Wow's token is as far as I'd want to go in any type of game and if I was a new player coming into a game with a token system like that I might not even be that interested in it.
    If you ask the fans in this thread, they'll tell you that there "is no winning" in Star Citizen when you can fork out cash for:

- Buying the best fighter in the game, and blowing someone up.
    - Buying a really good explorer, being the first to explore certain areas.
    - Buying the fastest racer, proceeding to beat others who have less.

All the while you can:
    - Purchase credit chits that contain in-game currency to offset any fuel, crew and upkeep costs.

Whales are already stocking up on those by the way.

If you ask the fans in this thread, they'll tell you that there "is no winning" in Star Citizen when you can fork out cash for:

- Buying the best fighter in the game, and blowing someone up.
    - Buying a really good explorer, being the first to explore certain areas.
    - Buying the fastest racer, proceeding to beat others who have less.

All the while you can:
    - Purchase credit chits that contain in-game currency to offset any fuel, crew and upkeep costs.

Whales are already stocking up on those by the way.
    Oh of course, some of those fans will talk about the skill involved and that having a better/bigger ship does not mean you'll win, but it sure puts you in a huge fucking advantage. And the funny thing is these expensive ships can carry more, get to places faster and so on, even if it isn't directly killing another player out farming them and out doing them with speed advantages is a thing too. Like you said they get to areas first, faster and with less effort/time on the player's side so they do more while the pleb is sitting at the 'fun' loading screen. P2W is too strong with this 'game'.

So maybe let go of that grudge...

It's not Star Citizen fault that Frontier abandoned Elite to focus on more profitable franchises, just like it's not Star Citizen's fault you got bored of Diablo or whatever game you've been nolifing till you got burned enough and are now are looking for another game to fill that void.
    Talks about grudges and immediately lashes out, yet again, at Elite... you're a walking, talking parody mate

I'm sure most Elite fans would like Frontier to put all of their effort into Elite but this is the real world and Frontier doesn't run a cash shop which sells spaceships for $$$ (thankfully) so they need other sources of income. And everyone knows putting all your eggs in one basket is never the smartest of moves anyway and seeing they've been in business for 25+ years I think they have a good idea what they are doing. In fact, Braben won 2 awards for his business accumen.
    Secondly, if the game was abandoned they wouldn't be holding beta tests for fleet carriers or working on the next expansion.

Wow! Two awards at the #CNBizAwards2019 - Best Large Business award, and the ‘best of the best’ Business of the Year’. This award is for all the excellent people back at Frontier...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh of course, some of those fans will talk about the skill involved and that having a better/bigger ship does not mean you'll win, but it sure puts you in a huge fucking advantage. And the funny thing is these expensive ships can carry more, get to places faster and so on, even if it isn't directly killing another player out farming them and out doing them with speed advantages is a thing too. Like you said they get to areas first, faster and with less effort/time on the player's side so they do more while the pleb is sitting at the 'fun' loading screen. P2W is too strong with this 'game'.
    Yeah, totally agree.

If you have immediate access to the largest cargo ship and a whole bunch of UEC that you've purchased, you can hit the ground running. You can transport some lucrative cargo and cash in or take on a higher paying mission that requires a large ship to get large rewards. The disparity between someone starting with assets and someone who doesn't would be huge and it only grows from there. That elevated income from day one allows you to purchase fighter hulls and fit them out with the best mods for the best chance of winning in PvP engagements.

Anyways, all the things you just listed are games that got off the ground with crowdfunding and are now taking money through sales, just like SC. Know what they all are? Games that are past the crowdfunding stage and are now selling shit on a cash shop or whatever method they want to use.
    Crowdfunding is having a public funding your project. It's right there self explanatory in the word "CROWD", "FUNDING".
    These games haven't released and are all still in development. People buy access to their alphas (the ones who have them available) or cosmetics or items that they can't yet use to help fund the development of the game. It's not up to you to twist when their crowdfunding stops.

He's probably referring to the old Terms of Service which had that part in it. It was removed in a later version which did stir controversy back in the day.
    Nop, never had it. The Financial Reports reveal were never tied with any specific date but to cessation of the project's development. That never happened but we've got financial reports anyway.

I wanted it and I'm loving the direction they've taken, sure I would prefer that things could release faster but I understand that increasing the scope while maintaining this fidelity takes a lot of time.
    But I've put money on this project exactly because of that. To make the best game possible without console hardware and publisher restraints or rushing anything for the sake of complying with some arbitrary date set by shareholders looking for profit. And that's what the majority of backers also wanted easily acknowledged just by analysing the facts. That the number of backers and funding has continuously increased all these years along with CIG staff and the game scope and quality it did exactly what it's community wanted as supports keeps growing strong.

The sheer notion that, despite all these years, still no game comes close to what the Star Citizen alpha already provides is a testament to their effort!

Three biggest for me:

Financial accountability - slowly modifying the ToS to screw over the backers.
    I don't feel screwed by the new ToS, I feel happy knowing that people trying to pushing for refunds for petty reasons got put in their place. These are people who shouldn't even have backed in the first place as they clearly didn't quite understood in what they were getting into when they crowdfunded such an ambitious video-game.

Delivery/release dates - Touted endlessly year after year, referenced in the ToS only to eventually disappear entirely.
    The ToS clearly said that the estimated delivery date communicated on the website was not "a firm promise" and "may be extended" by the developer since "unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time".

But ofc haters conveniently always "forget" to include that part.

LTI - Marketing bullshit which promised certain things that they backed down on for the sake of $. This is the original "broken promise".
    Their project their rules. No "promises" were broken and that's why whenever someone tried to take CIG to court they got their asses handed to them, I guess like them, you failed to read that ToS too.

Derek Smart was right. No game.
    Yeah his game Line of Defense seems to have been abandoned. Shame, cause he seemed pretty hyped about it's imminent release back in 2012.

Guess that's what happens when you spend your life attacking another dev's game instead of working on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    And everyone knows putting all your eggs in one basket is never the smartest of moves anyway and seeing they've been in business for 25+ years I think they have a good idea what they are doing. In fact, Braben won 2 awards for his business accumen.
    Yeah an established company for 25+ years asking players for money in advance to make a game they had announced to be working back in 2008 and then releasing a bare bones version of it only to release planetary landings in a DLC which costed the same as the main game was a very smart move. Only better was leveraging Elite backers money to make roller-coaster and dinosaur adventures while neglecting the game backers gave money for 3 years. Top business acumen right there.

I have nothing personal against Elite or Braben tbh (maybe that's why I don't feel the need to shitposts on it's thread). But I do find it funny that Elite fanboys are always finding angles to criticize Star Citizen and Chris Roberts, sometimes for the most petty reasons, But get all vexed whenever someone mentions Elite or Braben flaws. Reeks of hypocrisy and envy tbh.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-05-27 at 10:58 AM.

Yeah an established company for 25+ years asking players for money in advance to make a game they had announced to be working back in 2008 and then releasing a bare bones version of it only to release planetary landings in a DLC which costed the same as the main game was a very smart move. Only better was leveraging Elite backers money to make roller-coaster and dinosaur adventures while neglecting the game backers gave money for 3 years. Top business acumen right there.
    But a millionaire, with a string of highly regarded games, who went on to break into Hollywood turning to Kickstarter is no problem?

Like you guys with your one rule for me and another for thee...

I have nothing personal against Elite or Braben tbh (maybe that's why I don't feel the need to shitposts on it's thread).
    Do you even read what you write bro?

But I do find it funny that Elite fanboys are always finding angles to criticize Star Citizen and Chris Roberts, sometimes for the most petty reasons, But get all vexed whenever someone mentions Elite or Braben flaws. Reeks of hypocrisy and envy tbh.
    Your words don't hold up. In your mind all critics or skeptics are Elite fanboys because you have this inane need to make it an us vs them situation.
    If someone corrects your easily disproved lies about a game, that makes them a fanboy... which is just further evidence of your tribal thinking.

The sheer notion that, despite all these years, still no game comes close to what the Star Citizen alpha already provides is a testament to their effort!
    300 million dollars to have NPC not able to sit down properly or a max server capacity of ... 50 people seems to be nothing to be praised for.

But yeah apparently 3k$ ships are sold instantly, so there is probably something interesting in this game. I'd try it when it's out, if it ever is.

Most projects would not be allowed to spend almost $350M on <10% of the game.

Is this video a good indication of how far SC surpasses other game?

Because that looks awful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    300 million dollars to have NPC not able to sit down properly or a max server capacity of ... 50 people seems to be nothing to be praised for.
    Right. Rephrasing Mr.A's comment: My game with some of the longest development ever and highest expense ever is better than other games that cost a fraction to make with considerably less development time. Such logic.

If Star Citizen wasn't better they must be doing something terribly wrong.

Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster0 View Post

Because that looks awful to me.
    LOL when it falls through the atmo and bounces off the ground and then stands upright instead of gravity doing its job. And the other ships just hanging there motionless while also in the planet's gravity. It's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Discussions should not be about the big bad evil Chris and how CIG is there to screw everyone, make a half assed tech demo and run with the money. But discussion regarding the game, core mechanics and overall positive "vibes". Sure that creates a pink shades echo-chamber, but is that a bad thing? You wouldn't continuously buy lemon ice cream if you hate it. The heck are people getting by being negative about a game that some people clearly don't even play and spend years in this thread ranting the same agenda? Yes, a hostile environment.
    So if you want be critical, how game is managed, it's better for you just STFU? This reminds me exactly what some fanboys from Chronicles of Elyria said - they just shut down any criticism towards development because "it's toxic" but fact was, many people saw writing on the wall for very long time.

If the game would be good, don't worry, discussion would be about game design and core mechanics, but as far as everything is in tier 0 implementation without idea what tier 1 means, there is not much to discuss. Yea, people would be still bitching, but at least they would be bitching about "balance" and "this system sucks".

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster0 View Post
    snip.
    for one they have not spent 350 million they have raised 289 million and some extra from outside investment, and even if it was 10% of what its supposed to be thats like 100% of what other games currently are. While developing RDR2 the company spent well over what SC has raised so far just on staff salarly over 6 years.

Idris is not properly ingame its on a set route and some players try to force it on a path to try and kill it so its not actual gameplay.

If the game looks awful to you why waste your time moaning about something you cant change.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    LOL when it falls through the atmo and bounces off the ground and then stands upright instead of gravity doing its job. And the other ships just hanging there motionless while also in the planet's gravity. It's bad.
    your complaining about a ship not actually flyable to players ingame that is on a set route where players have forced it off that path, its only ingame so players can look at it nothing more.

ships have engines they wont just fall out of the sky and the weather and gravity of a planet will affect how ships fly.

So if you want be critical, how game is managed, it's better for you just STFU? This reminds me exactly what some fanboys from Chronicles of Elyria said - they just shut down any criticism towards development because "it's toxic" but fact was, many people saw writing on the wall for very long time.

If the game would be good, don't worry, discussion would be about game design and core mechanics, but as far as everything is in tier 0 implementation without idea what tier 1 means, there is not much to discuss. Yea, people would be still bitching, but at least they would be bitching about "balance" and "this system sucks".
    If certain individuals stops being babies for more than 5 mins and actually discuss the game instead then you could talk about mechanics, but no you constantly whine about the same things over and over.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-05-27 at 01:33 PM.