Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Oh I'm quite aware of that but Star Citizen's fundinh/twitch growth started way before Covid confinements measures reached USA/EU.
    When you pour money into marketing that tends to happen, a great achievement!
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2020 - that's two-zero-two-zero, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies.

Oh I'm quite aware of that but Star Citizen's fundinh/twitch growth started way before Covid confinements measures reached USA/EU.
    The growth prior to covid was mostly focused around their gamescom/citizencon events which always tends to inflate the numbers.

New patches and new content align with performance improovements and Free Fly events contribute a lot for the increase in player engagement both on streaming platforms and youtube.
    Eww, this sounds like it was written by a marketing agent

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    When you pour money into marketing that tends to happen, a great achievement!
    Didin't quite worked out for Anthem did it?

https://www.themillennialwalk.org/po...-nathan-winnie

If all was needed for a game yo be popular was marketing and money there wouldn't be bombed games from the big publishers.

Didin't quite worked out for Anthem did it?
    Anthem got released and met its well-deserved fate. There's no reason to bomb SC as it's still in development. Nothing to bomb. It's not even a game yet. But there's plenty of reason to promote it - for new "investors". Money in - money out. Marketing.
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2020 - that's two-zero-two-zero, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Edit: why does that Twitch chart only go up to the end of 2019. What's happend to the 7 months of 2020?

Chart for Sept 19 - July 20

Because the point of every post in every thread is to only use the information that prove you right. Anything proving you wrong has to be dismissed. I'm pretty sure MrAnderson will still link us Twitch Stats for 2019 in 2049 when SC will still be in development or something

Anthem got released and met its well-deserved fate. There's no reason to bomb SC as it's still in development. Nothing to bomb. It's not even a game yet. But there's plenty of reason to promote it - for new "investors". Money in - money out. Marketing.
    But why didn't pouring money into marketing Anthem worked then? Or for all the other games with huge marketing campaigns that failed to pick up pace?
    And do you realy think it was a well-deserved fate? All that time and money spent building and marketing a new IP just to rush it out the door? Wouldn't it be better if EA could have spared them another year or 2 and release a better game than throwing dev's under the bus?

There's no reason to bomb SC as it's still in development.
    Wonder why so many feel desperate trying to find reasons doing it. Maybe they really think they can "stop the moneyz" by shitposting year in year out. Seems to be working alright /s.

Pointing out the many lies, false theory's and fantasy doomsday preaches about a project is not promoting said project.

Most backers of any crowdfunded game in alpha stage will tell you that the game is not suitable for "gamers" consumption. If you're looking for a finished and polished experience you should stay far away from any crowdfunded game until the dev's released it officially as a "finished" product.

But If people want to support the making of a product they find interesting they are free to do what they want with their money.

But why didn't pouring money into marketing Anthem worked then? Or for all the other games with huge marketing campaigns that failed to pick up pace?
    It did. Sales were high. The game sucked - no marketing can help with that. Same for al the other games. Marketing does its job by acquiring users. That is all.
    And do you realy think it was a well-deserved fate? All that time and money spent building and marketing a new IP just to rush it out the door? Wouldn't it be better if EA could have spared them another year or 2 and release a better game than throwing dev's under the bus?
    Yes, well-deserved fate. They squandered enough "another year or 2" for several complete overhauls of that game, EA did the right thing. Enough is enough when enough is enough. They released it - got feedback - and EA gave them another chance of fixing it. Solid decision right there.

Wonder why so many feel desperate trying to find reasons doing it. Maybe they really think they can "stop the moneyz" by shitposting year in year out. Seems to be working alright /s.

Pointing out the many lies, false theory's and fantasy doomsday preaches about a project is not promoting said project.

Most backers of any crowdfunded game in alpha stage will tell you that the game is not suitable for "gamers" consumption. If you're looking for a finished and polished experience you should stay far away from any crowdfunded game until the dev's released it officially as a "finished" product.

But If people want to support the making of a product they find interesting they are free to do what they want with their money.
    SC is in perpetual alpha state for how many years? People are righteously outraged. Especially the backers.
    I backed several crowdfunded games - this is the only one that's turned into a perpetual money-making alpha version with a version number above 1.0 to boot.
    This is an outrage. I don't understand why you are not feeling it.

snip
    Actually they did give backers everything that was promised in the origional kickstarter and more because it also included planet landings, the kickstarter didnt mention how many star systems that would be in the launch but chris said there would be 5-6 to start with in that interview you seem to like, a single player campaign was not in the origional kickstarter either.

SC is building a game with 600 that would take any other company 2000 plus although it may be done a little faster with 3 times more staff, so development pace is more than reasonable. SC atm is more than the equivelant of 2 games.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-07-23 at 02:27 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Actually they did give backers everything that was promised in the origional kickstarter and more because it also included planet landings, the kickstarter didnt mention how many star systems that would be in the launch but chris said there would be 5-6 to start with in that interview you seem to like, a single player campaign was not in the origional kickstarter either.
    Lol, what is this wild take.

At the end of 2015 they had hangars, Arena Commander, Murray Cup and ArcCorp. That was it.

This was not the original pitch. Are you drunk?

SC is building a game with 600 that would take any other company 2000 plus although it may be done a little faster with 3 times more staff, so development pace is more than reasonable. SC atm is more than the equivelant of 2 games.
    And here we go, You must be drunk, no one would say this if they were sober

Did you know that CIG have put almost 6 million man hours into this already, quite possibly more if they work longer than a 40 hour week.

It did. Sales were high. The game sucked - no marketing can help with that. Same for al the other games. Marketing does its job by acquiring users. That is all.

Yes, well-deserved fate. They squandered enough "another year or 2" for several complete overhauls of that game, EA did the right thing. Enough is enough when enough is enough. They released it - got feedback - and EA gave them another chance of fixing it. Solid decision right there.

SC is in perpetual alpha state for how many years? People are righteously outraged. Especially the backers.
    I backed several crowdfunded games - this is the only one that's turned into a perpetual money-making alpha version with a version number above 1.0 to boot.
    This is an outrage. I don't understand why you are not feeling it.
    So marketing gets you users/money upfront but doesn't keep getting them if the game sucks.

Which is the point the growth shown in Star Citizen's funding and player engagement charts show during all these years.

Many studios and teams work for many years in their games with publishers with less money than EA backing them and their sticking with delays. Because they see more value in releasing delayed but good games more than shareholder profits.

Star Citizen will be worked upon until the dev's feel like it and have the means to do so. Since Squadron 42 is the priority and people have Star Citizen alpha to playtest and act as live service game the company can work as they like.

As someone who plays games for fun I find the act of getting "outraged" by a video-game in development perplexing and ridiculuous so I'll assume you're overreacting due to some kind of emotional attachment.

Hint: No point in raging about things you cant control, you may think you're getting some kind of relief doing so but you're only perpetuating your grief.

Being negative, cynic, hatefull, outraged it's all an escape. Focus on knowledge, positive thinking and constructive analysis and discussion will follow.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2020-07-23 at 03:07 PM.

Focus on knowledge, positive thinking and constructive analysis and discussion will follow.
    Is this satire?

If there is one thing whiteknights are known for, it is the denial of knowledge, facts and constructive analysis.. There is so much evidence of that in this thread alone.

Obligatory Twitch stats growth aligned with funding growth:

Something seems really off with some of those numbers...

663,380 hours viewed in a 7 day period vs. an average viewer count across 7 days of 3,921...

Therefore the average user is watching for 169.2 (decimal rounded up) hours a week? I mean I get there's ramp up time for streams and a constant revolving door of those showing up and leaving, but that number strikes me as unusually high. To me it suggests that there's quite a few view bots in there, or in the very least quite a lot of people willing to eat, shave, shit, shower, sleep and work while leaving a stream up.
    At times, the frequent redundancy and stupidity of these forums, turns me into an argumentative ass.

To most of you, I apologize in advance. I will attempt to be nicer.

Lol, what is this wild take.

At the end of 2015 they had hangars, Arena Commander, Murray Cup and ArcCorp. That was it.

This was not the original pitch. Are you drunk?

And here we go, You must be drunk, no one would say this if they were sober

Did you know that CIG have put almost 6 million man hours into this already, quite possibly more if they work longer than a 40 hour week.
    You can fly around a star system, you can play with other ppl, you can do dog fighting, trading and mining along with missions, thats basically what they pitched in the kickstarter, they didnt say the game was going to launch with x amount of star systems although in the interview the plan was to have 5-6 to begin with so yes they gave the min requirement to be considered what the kickstarter game was.

A company with 2k plus staff would put even more man hours than SC into development so whats your point, there is companies doing the same old games and still need 6 years to develop what they have been doing for a few games already.

You can fly around a star system, you can play with other ppl, you can do dog fighting, trading and mining along with missions, thats basically what they pitched in the kickstarter, they didnt say the game was going to launch with x amount of star systems although in the interview the plan was to have 5-6 to begin with so yes they gave the min requirement to be considered what the kickstarter game was.
    You can now in 2020 but Crobear was saying you would get everything promised in the original kickstarter by the end of 2015. Go back and look at the quote if you need to.

A company with 2k plus staff would put even more man hours than SC into development so whats your point, there is companies doing the same old games and still need 6 years to develop what they have been doing for a few games already.
    What's your point? Just because a company could put more man hours in does not mean it's ok for Star Citizen to be a flop of development progress despite putting 6 million man hours in...

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    Something seems really off with some of those numbers...

663,380 hours viewed in a 7 day period vs. an average viewer count across 7 days of 3,921...

Therefore the average user is watching for 169.2 (decimal rounded up) hours a week? I mean I get there's ramp up time for streams and a constant revolving door of those showing up and leaving, but that number strikes me as unusually high. To me it suggests that there's quite a few view bots in there, or in the very least quite a lot of people willing to eat, shave, shit, shower, sleep and work while leaving a stream up.
    I wouldnt be surprised if people like Mr.A and kenn might have 10+ tabs with SC streams open at all times to push the numbers

You can now in 2020 but Crobear was saying you would get everything promised in the original kickstarter by the end of 2015. Go back and look at the quote if you need to.

What's your point? Just because a company could put more man hours in does not mean it's ok for Star Citizen to be a flop of development progress despite putting 6 million man hours in...
    They still gave the backers the basics of what was pitched in the kickstarter, it had all the basic features that was planned to be included in the kickstarter so they give backers what they planned plus more by the end of 2015 and even more onto of that by the end of 2016.

Why is it not ok for a game to develop a game as much as it is needed, thats why most of the game released recently are not as good as they can be as most need at least another year to be really ready for release, RDR2 got about 7 years development for a PC release and it was still not ready to be released, a game should take as long as it needs to be ready for release, not just rushed out for no reason other than they want to push it out.

If anyone ever needed an explanation on Stockholm Syndrome and / or sunk cost fallacies, this thread is it.

They still gave the backers the basics of what was pitched in the kickstarter, it had all the basic features that was planned to be included in the kickstarter so they give backers what they planned plus more by the end of 2015 and even more onto of that by the end of 2016.

Why is it not ok for a game to develop a game as much as it is needed, thats why most of the game released recently are not as good as they can be as most need at least another year to be really ready for release, RDR2 got about 7 years development for a PC release and it was still not ready to be released, a game should take as long as it needs to be ready for release, not just rushed out for no reason other than they want to push it out.
    Absolute madness, you're off on one Kenn.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...a-20-available

"A huge universe to explore, trade and adventure in" - Was trading in the game by 2.0, which seems like the last big update of 2015?

"Constantly expanding and evolving universe" - It was expanding, but IIRC it was very tiny when 2.0 launched.

"Micro updates rule!" - Content was not added on a weekly or bi-weekly basis in 2.0

"Squadron 42 - A Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want" - It's 2020 and this still isn't playable, online or offline.

"Life during wartime" - Related to SQ42, so not ready.

"The conflict never ends" - There were no "conflicts" that I'm aware of in 2.0

"Actions of the players impact the universe and become part of its history and lore" - This was not ready by 2.0, and still doesn't appear to be.

"Allowing user generated content is a key design goal" - These were not ready by 2.0 and seemed to arrive years later.

"It’s about the gameplay and your interactions with others" - 2.0 had this, but it remained limited.

"Fully dynamic economy driven by player actions" - Nope

"The cost of society" - Related to above, nope.

"Money isn’t everything" - Related to above, nope.

"Space is empty but you’re never really alone" - Distress beacons were added in 2018 - https://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen...and-new-ships/

"Bigger ships offer bigger multi-player action" - Yep, they were makin more big ships!

"Full rigid body simulation of all spaceships" - I guess we can count this, but given that this work appears to still be ongoing it could go either way.

"Intelligent Flight Control System (IFCS)" - Related to above.

"Dynamic Ship Maneuverability" - Related to above.

"Ship Components matter!" - I believe this was in, so yep!

"10X the detail of current AAA games" - Erm...sorta, at least if you enjoyed playing at like 10FPS

"Everything you would imagine would move or articulate on a spaceship or a device – does!" - Not sure if this was in 2.0 or not

"Range of scale never seen before in a game" - I believe it was in for 2.0 with proper scaling.

"Really feel the scale of ships and space battles" - There was dogfighting, but nothing really "at scale" nor could you watch fights from the bridge of a carrier by 2.0

"Joystick, gamepad, mouse, keyboard are all supported." - Yep!

"Advanced peripheral support" - Unsure if this was included by 2.0 or not

"Virtual Reality is here!" - Nope, they're still wokin on that - https://www.roadtovr.com/star-citize...upport-silvan/

"Next generation, TODAY" - Well, they're no longer on Cryengine 3 proper, but we'll still count this.

"A PC gaming enthusiast’s friend!" - Not really a feature, but this counts too I suppose.

So no, actually. A number of the features from the KS were not delivered by the end of 2015 with 2.0. And many that were included were rough/rudimentary and still in need of a ton of testing and work, and if "minimum viable product" is where you're setting the bar for this, then that's a whole other problem.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-07-23 at 04:40 PM.

Is this satire?

If there is one thing whiteknights are known for, it is the denial of knowledge, facts and constructive analysis.. There is so much evidence of that in this thread alone.
    I never thought of critics and haters as the whiteknights of gaming Negativity & Drama but it's a great analogy.

Knowledge: Game W, X, Y and Z from studio A, B, C and D got delayed and took years to finish and came out fine.

It's dooomed

Facts: Company funding and player engagement steady for years with last years showing a massive growth.

It's doooomed

Constructive analysis: Showcase of several cases were games from major publishers along with other crowdfunded mmorpgs by indie studios face the same issues.

It's dooooomed