Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    On a side note, someone sent me a private message and they have done a ton of work on quotes made by people and screen shots of dates about the game, if anyone wants me to forward that to them, it is quite the interesting read.
    If you wanna forward it to me, I'll look through it. I've got a morbid fascination with dumpster fires.

snip
    You dont play the game at all and you said you never will so your opinions mean nothing as it is, the game is in development and the community is more than happy with how its going, if they were not happy there would be threads up in spectrum of which there are none.

There is pretty much no MMOs that have content for more than 50 players at all, even in EvE massive battle would happen rarely and just be a stuttery lag fest, so a current cap on a game in development is nothing to even mention since most of the time players will not be doing content that requires more than 40-50 players anyway.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    You dont play the game at all and you said you never will so your opinions mean nothing as it is, the game is in development and the community is more than happy with how its going, if they were not happy there would be threads up in spectrum of which there are none.
    For my opinions having no meaning you sure do love replying to them. Also yet again, you do not speak for the entire SC community.

- - - Updated - - -

There is pretty much no MMOs that have content for more than 50 players at all, even in EvE massive battle would happen rarely and just be a stuttery lag fest, so a current cap on a game in development is nothing to even mention since most of the time players will not be doing content that requires more than 40-50 players anyway.
    Answer the question. Are there any other MMOs with a server cap of less than 100? Stop trying to dodge it. Just answer it. I didn't ask if all the players could be at the same spot, I asked if the games can have more than 40 players playing the game.

I tried EVE many years ago and could never get into it, but massive battles are more frequent than you think - three months back they set a world record for a battle involving almost 9000 players including over 6500 concurrent at one stage, and there have been a couple more massive since then, one just last month that saw over 300,000 USD worth of assets destroyed. There has been a massive player driven war going on since July that has seen quite a few of these huge battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I tried EVE many years ago and could never get into it, but massive battles are more frequent than you think - three months back they set a world record for a battle involving almost 9000 players including over 6500 concurrent at one stage, and there have been a couple more massive since then, one just last month that saw over 300,000 USD worth of assets destroyed. There has been a massive player driven war going on since July that has seen quite a few of these huge battles.
    Imagine those same fights but on SC. 40 players.

For my opinions having no meaning you sure do love replying to them. Also yet again, you do not speak for the entire SC community.

- - - Updated - - -

Answer the question. Are there any other MMOs with a server cap of less than 100? Stop trying to dodge it. Just answer it. I didn't ask if all the players could be at the same spot, I asked if the games can have more than 40 players playing the game.
    The only thing that matters is how many players can be together in the released version of the game, not what the current alpha is doing, have you run out of things to try and talk BS about so your stuck on something that noone really cares about since most of the time you wont even play with more than a small group of ppl anyway no matter what MMO you play.

Currently star citizen can have up to 20000 players playing the game at the same time just not in the same server. Every MMO server has a limited server cap and its usually under 100 in most cases, those games just have more than 1 server all linked together so each server usually will never handle more than 50-100 players at a time, thats the whole point in server shards.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Probably not much left to do in the game but the battles are still not enjoyable if the game is lagging out, better to have a limit of players in one area for smoother gameplay than just seeing your ship randomly blow up when the lag catches up, smooth gameplay wins over excessively large battles.

Eve also has a bonus of not being demanding on hardware so the main limit is bandwidth and transmitting the data to everyone.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-02-16 at 04:29 AM.

The only thing that matters is how many players can be together in the released version of the game, not what the current alpha is doing
    Cool, that is like your opinion, man. Just stop replying to me if this is all you are going to say.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently star citizen can have up to 20000 players playing the game at the same time just not in the same server.
    Goalpost = moved. Got it. Server cap is 40, not 20000. No other mmo has a server cap of 40. Good day.

Probably not much left to do in the game but the battles are still not enjoyable if the game is lagging out, better to have a limit of players in one area for smoother gameplay than just seeing your ship randomly blow up when the lag catches up, smooth gameplay wins over excessively large battles.

Eve also has a bonus of not being demanding on hardware so the main limit is bandwidth and transmitting the data to everyone.
    Not fun. Just 9000 people doing the same thing for...? Not fun, surely. Nobody would play a game, take part in battles spanning thousands of ships, for fun. Kenn knows best.

Huge fleet battles are incredibly fun in EVE, homie. I'm sorry that you've been burned.

Also, the 20,000 players thing made water shoot out my nose when I read it.
    Last edited by Henako; 2021-02-16 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Not fun. Just 9000 people doing the same thing for...? Not fun, surely. Nobody would play a game, take part in battles spanning thousands of ships, for fun. Kenn knows best.

Huge fleet battles are incredibly fun in EVE, homie. I'm sorry that you've been burned.

I know right? If it isn't SC it isn't fun for anyone at all. SC can do no wrong. SC is the best thing ever. Give all your money to SC.

Goalpost = moved. Got it. Server cap is 40, not 20000. No other mmo has a server cap of 40. Good day.
    Hey man Portal 1 can have 20 million people playing at the same time, just not on the same server, only offline but still, check mate

it's weird to compare SC to EVE though because EVE is basically RTS where you don't have direct control of the ship, you just give orders to it - and you only have one unit - so it's even more like a MOBA but on a YUGE scale - hence why it's fun in huge ship battles. It's a tactical game - not a space sim. That's why LAG doesn't really matter - once orders are in - who cares if it lags. It's like saying playing turn-based games is not fun because of the human lag.
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2021 - that's two-zero-two-one, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of masked sissies.

To be specific it is demanding on hardware, just not client side. The whole reason for TiDi is to allow the servers to process the thousands of inputs per second that occur during huge battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's like saying playing turn-based games is not fun because of the human lag.
    To be honest that's exactly the reason I hate playing turn based games. Fuck waiting for the slowpokes to play their turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    it's weird to compare SC to EVE though because EVE is basically RTS where you don't have direct control of the ship, you just give orders to it - and you only have one unit - so it's even more like a MOBA but on a YUGE scale - hence why it's fun in huge ship battles. It's a tactical game - not a space sim. That's why LAG doesn't really matter - once orders are in - who cares if it lags. It's like saying playing turn-based games is not fun because of the human lag.
    Hey, to be really fair, it depends on your ship class. Frig battles are actually super fast paced. The level of piloting skill can actually be bonkers.

--- not what the current alpha is doing,---
    Pre-alpha tho'
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post

Eve battles consist on ships just sitting in one spot and getting blow up over and over, not really interesting or engaging at the very least, so no ive not been burned, if you enjoy mindless space combat then by all means.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...r-Citizen-Live about the 2 min 50 mark saying the game can support at least around 20k players concurrently.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-02-16 at 03:49 PM.

about the 2 min 50 mark saying the game can support at least around 20k players concurrently.
    Yeah because they don't have a huge track history of lies and missed dates. Remind us again, what is the server cap for SC?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Hey man Portal 1 can have 20 million people playing at the same time, just not on the same server, only offline but still, check mate
    You win. I'm sorry!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...r-Citizen-Live about the 2 min 50 mark saying the game can support at least around 20k players concurrently.
    The game can't currently support more than 40 players. Magically hand waving what it will possibly, hopefully, pretty pretty please be able to handle 20,000 players at some currently unknown future date is meaningless. No one, except you, gives a shit about what the game might be able to theoretically do in the future. It's not there yet, and no idea if or when it actually will.

Eve battles consist on ships just sitting in one spot and getting blow up over and over, not really interesting or engaging at the very least, so no ive not been burned, if you enjoy mindless space combat then by all means.

The by far largest and most epic pvp battles have all been in EVE, they even hold the guinness world records for largest mp videogame PvP battles and one even lasted 21 hours with 9K people involved in the same battle.

One example of a very epic battle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB

And
    EVE Online Breaks Two GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ TITLES in One Day with Biggest Battle in Video Game History
    https://www.ccpgames.com/news/2020/e...n-one-day-with

Obviously alot of people enjoy that.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The game can't currently support more than 40 players. Magically hand waving what it will possibly, hopefully, pretty pretty please be able to handle 20,000 players at some currently unknown future date is meaningless. No one, except you, gives a shit about what the game might be able to theoretically do in the future. It's not there yet, and no idea if or when it actually will.
    20k players can play star citizen at the same time, its irrelevant that they are not all on the same server, its just fact directly from a lead developer, so dont talk BS just like all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    The by far largest and most epic pvp battles have all been in EVE, they even hold the guinness world records for largest mp videogame PvP battles and one even lasted 21 hours with 9K people involved in the same battle.

One example of a very epic battle
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodbath_of_B-R5RB

And
    EVE Online Breaks Two GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ TITLES in One Day with Biggest Battle in Video Game History
    https://www.ccpgames.com/news/2020/e...n-one-day-with

Obviously alot of people enjoy that.
    Yeah sitting in one spot while watching tv shows and movies is not really interesting, eve requires very little attention just target a ship blow it up and repeat, some may enjoy mindless gameplay but i prefer something a little more involved most of the time.

Size of the battles dont really matter as long as it is actually engaging content, a small 100-200 ship battle can feel much more epic if done correctly rather than thousands of ships doing very little.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-02-16 at 05:24 PM.