1. #12161
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Palatka, Fl, USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Probably not. That seemed like a bit of a fishing expedition on their part to begin with, to be honest. Crytek has been hurting for money for a while and likely thought they could get some settlement cash out of it or something. I honestly don't think there's anything remotely shady/illegal going on. Poor management? Sure. Insane ambitions? Absolutely. But even though it's slow going it's clear they're dumping money into the game. Is there waste? More likely, but waste ain't fraud or anything else. That's just waste.
    I don't know @Edge.

    I think with Companies run/founded by Chris Roberts skirting the law because they have not caught up to current technology is a fair point of contention since his companies have a history of exploiting loopholes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Stop pre-paying for products before they are finished. Doesn't matter if its a game or a mattress. You're doing capitalism wrong. Why is anyone surprised?
    @choom you are totally right. RIP TotalBiscuit.

  2. #12162
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I find it unlikely Chris would try doing something so incredibly risky when he already has so much money. The Star Citizen project is very high profile. There are even tax-payed funded documentaries on Star Citizen. IIRC there were was also a government investigation into CIG at some point? Any way, if Chris was actually doing tax fraud or some weird money wire transfer stuff, the chances of discovery are very high, and the consequences for discovery would be fatal. Ofcourse he's giving himself a nice big paycheck for his mansions and his yachts, but actual criminal stuff? Doubt it.
    Remember the Panama Papers ? Yeah, literally nothing happened.

  3. #12163
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Palatka, Fl, USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Remember the Panama Papers ? Yeah, literally nothing happened.
    I have to say that is a bit to totally unfair. A loophole is not illegal, just unethical. The Panama Papers were even closer to illegal fuckery, instead of just a loophole.

  4. #12164
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    Ugh. . . the Trails thread ewwe, it is just sadness there with the defense of that. SC is at least funny maybe half the time, sad the other half unlike the Trails thread (I have some limits).

    I see you didn't include Val in your list of defenders. I don't want to rag on him, but he did until a year or so now, defend SC fairly hard. Over the last year or so though he started giving honest reviews of the latest patches, which I found to be very informative since I don't play SC, and now will even criticize the game for its delays and flaws. I also appreciated him calling me out when I post stuff I thought to be noteworthy that got delayed, but was wrong and they pointed out why.

    To sum up Val is now one of the most neutral, and best sources of info on the current state of the game. Both positive and negative features of what is currently in SC.
    Yeah I don't think I was around much in this thread when Val was a hardline defender. Val has been openly honest of this game as someone that is playing it a fair amount. It is nice to have someone showing that honesty that the game has a lot of problems but there is 'some' potential there. Sadly the amount of years and money to get to this point cancels most of that out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    In the first case of his film company he found a way to exploit the tax code to make bank. I never said it was illegal till Germany saw the problem and decided it was.
    Yeah and you had hack directors like Uwe Boll churning out gaming licensed movies in Germany too. Was quite the loophole and many cashed in.

  5. #12165
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I find it unlikely Chris would try doing something so incredibly risky when he already has so much money. The Star Citizen project is very high profile.
    Is it high profile? I know to us it seems to be but beyond the very basic information regarding Star Citizen I don't know how many gamers really know what's been going on with the game or its development.

  6. #12166
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Is it high profile? I know to us it seems to be but beyond the very basic information regarding Star Citizen I don't know how many gamers really know what's been going on with the game or its development.
    Very much so, just not so much for consumer level attention.

  7. #12167
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Palatka, Fl, USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Very much so, just not so much for consumer level attention.
    Yeah Edge and I know this might be controversial, but given that most "games journalism" has been mostly nothing but editorial/opinion pieces for the last several years it is no surprise that gamers no longer bother with gaming news anymore.

    @Val the Moofia Boss No one said CR is the brightest bulb in the box, most of the idiots that do stuff that is either unethical/illegal believe that they are too smart to get caught/or that they are in a gray enough area that it won't matter. Just like how when CR exploited that German tax loophole he was never indicted or even charged with breaking any law.

  8. #12168
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    Yeah Edge and I know this might be controversial, but given that most "games journalism" has been mostly nothing but editorial/opinion pieces for the last several years it is no surprise that gamers no longer bother with gaming news anymore.
    That's...not it at all, not remotely.

    Believe it or not, most gamers just don't care that much about some outrageously crowdfunded space game for super hardcore space sim PC fans. And really, if you're not into the game there's really not much reporting on anyways as it goes through development. It gets a decent amount of news coverage with each update, it's just not that interesting to most folks.

  9. #12169
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's...not it at all, not remotely.

    Believe it or not, most gamers just don't care that much about some outrageously crowdfunded space game for super hardcore space sim PC fans. And really, if you're not into the game there's really not much reporting on anyways as it goes through development. It gets a decent amount of news coverage with each update, it's just not that interesting to most folks.
    Likely due to the fact that the genre has effectively been dead since the late 90's. I can get why a lot of young gamers don't care about it, but us older gamers (mid 30's to 50's), care about some of these genres because they were a huge part of our youths.

  10. #12170
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Palatka, Fl, USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's...not it at all, not remotely.

    Believe it or not, most gamers just don't care that much about some outrageously crowdfunded space game for super hardcore space sim PC fans. And really, if you're not into the game there's really not much reporting on anyways as it goes through development. It gets a decent amount of news coverage with each update, it's just not that interesting to most folks.
    I would have to respectfully disagree @Edge. I mean in this thread alone the news articles that are posted from game journalists are a few to several years old, but the youtube videos concerning news about SC are current date to several years old. I think that shows a shift in where gamers are getting gaming news/information from. I know I stopped read sites like Kotaku, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, ect. . . a few years ago when they just became sites that just posted wholesale press releases and/or editorial/opinion pieces. At that time I started watching people like TotalBiscuit, LegacyKillaHD, ect. . . for more informative fact based, with a bit of editorial commentary for my gaming news.

    Hell as wrong as his comparisons and usage of Twitch numbers are even Anderson is using things other that gaming journalism websites to try and get his point across these last 2 or so years.

    As for it being a niche game that is true, but once upon a time it did have the promise of bringing back the days when space sims/space dog fighting games/space opera centered RPGs were basking in the light of high popularity. When I first saw this back 2012 I thought that the days of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter/KOTOR/EVE Online could be coming back all rolled into one massive exciting game.

  11. #12171
    should there be more ship weapon types? i mean, they all come down to being lasers with travel time like in star wars. maybe only the banu (alien race ship) has a different weapon as its hitscan. i understand this is a space sim, a simulator, so it must rely on players skill to fly, aim and shoot, but eve online has much more variety in that department, no? lead shell projectiles, artillery, lasers, railguns, even recently added disintegration beams

    idk, to me every ship seems the same because of weapons, theres no variety in how they work. only looks
    correct me of im wrong
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  12. #12172
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    should there be more ship weapon types? i mean, they all come down to being lasers with travel time like in star wars. maybe only the banu (alien race ship) has a different weapon as its hitscan. i understand this is a space sim, a simulator, so it must rely on players skill to fly, aim and shoot, but eve online has much more variety in that department, no? lead shell projectiles, artillery, lasers, railguns, even recently added disintegration beams

    idk, to me every ship seems the same because of weapons, theres no variety in how they work. only looks
    correct me of im wrong
    if you want them to add even more years down the line, because more weapons mean revising all existing shop models to make sure they adapt to the new weapons mods... and surely redo SQ42 from scratch yet again for the Nth time ^^

  13. #12173
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    should there be more ship weapon types? i mean, they all come down to being lasers with travel time like in star wars. maybe only the banu (alien race ship) has a different weapon as its hitscan.

    correct me of im wrong
    There are three different kinds of guns in Star Citizen:
    • Lasers (hitscan, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Lasers (travel time, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Bullets (travel time, does the most damage, does more damage to hull, has limited ammo)
    • EMP beams (travel time, drains a ship of its energy and eventually shuts it down, has infinite ammo)

    - - - Updated - - -

    You used to be able to use http://starcitizendb.com/ to theorycraft didn't ship builds but apparently that website is no more.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  14. #12174
    Edge, just one request to you - please stop enabling Kenn. As couple people pointed out this game of going in circles has been done at least 3 times during couple of years by Kenn and the now missing Anderson. Same arguments, same links, videos, even memes. Enough is enough in my opinion, he has been posting in bad faith and I sincerely wish he gets help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Remember the Panama Papers ? Yeah, literally nothing happened.
    This is offtopic, but no, this is not true. I saw infographic recently (mind you, did not go and check all the sources), but institutions across the world have recovered something like 1.5 billion USD at this point and put bunch of people behind bars. Yes, it has been years, yes, the progress is slow, yes, the money missing is still in untold billions but nothing happened? No, that is just wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  15. #12175
    lol this game never coming out. biggest scam in modern video game developing.

  16. #12176
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    There are three different kinds of guns in Star Citizen:
    • Lasers (hitscan, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Lasers (travel time, does less damage than bullets, deals more damage to shields than to hull, generates a lot of heat, has infinite ammo)
    • Bullets (travel time, does the most damage, does more damage to hull, has limited ammo)
    [list]EMP beams (travel time, drains a ship of its energy and eventually shuts it down, has infinite ammo).

    r u saying theres no room for more and its fine as it is? because to me for a game where its mostly about shooting ships in space thats rather lackluster
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  17. #12177
    Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    lol this game never coming out. biggest scam in modern video game developing.
    It's still not released?

    HOLY shit! Some people spent thousands on ships, poor, stupid guys.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

  18. #12178
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    r u saying theres no room for more and its fine as it is? because to me for a game where its mostly about shooting ships in space thats rather lackluster
    Unless you count missiles, then yeah that's it.

    Currently combat in Star Citizen isn't as stale as you think. There is skill involved in flying your ship (which operates different in and out of atmosphere), managing your heat, trying to dodge incoming missiles, trying minimize your infrared profile to decrease enemy accuracy, having people in turrets, using EMP weapons to shut down an enemy ship and send a boarding party, working with a squad mate to corner your enemy, etc. All stuff in the game right now.

    A "planned feature" is that there is going to be an engineer role on multicrew ships where you can have an engineer run around trying to fix the ship up during combat (like in Guns of Icarus), and an information warfare/hacker role that shut down or take over enemy systems, but so far none of this has left the planning stage yet.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  19. #12179
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    B'ham, AL
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I personally do think the money is going towards the game, just not efficiently at all. They're trying to build the best supercar ever... except it's hydrogen powered, has square wheels, and their test track is made out of gravel. Doesn't matter how many millions you throw at that kind of project, you'll progress glacially if at all. But so long as it has whales who really, really want their square-wheeled car to be a thing and are buying .jpgs of a ship for literal thousands, the project will continue.
    Oh, I agree something's being made. I just wonder if 'at the end of all this' (whenever that is...!), its really 10 dollars out of every 100 being spent on that "best supercar ever" (with square wheels etc) and the other 90 being squirreled away and/or invested elsewhere (cult... militant group...etc). As in - they are doing 'enough' to keep the money train rolling, and the rest will be uncovered when they finally give up. =D

    Just an outside theory I know - but 'wouldn't it be funny if...'. I mean, we can't say its NOT a possibility; until "the real deal" hits live anyway.

    And IF it ever hits live - can you even imagine the speed of bug fixes at this point? I foresee a Cyberpunk launch-level of broken for this game if it ever launches - and then their promises over another 10 years to fix the bugs (while charging for a live service ala Fallout76..). People gonna think I'm psychic.. .
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-04-13 at 06:04 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

  20. #12180
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Unless you count missiles, then yeah that's it.

    Currently combat in Star Citizen isn't as stale as you think. There is skill involved in flying your ship (which operates different in and out of atmosphere), managing your heat, trying to dodge incoming missiles, trying minimize your infrared profile to decrease enemy accuracy, having people in turrets, using EMP weapons to shut down an enemy ship and send a boarding party, working with a squad mate to corner your enemy, etc. All stuff in the game right now.

    A "planned feature" is that there is going to be an engineer role on multicrew ships where you can have an engineer run around trying to fix the ship up during combat (like in Guns of Icarus), and an information warfare/hacker role that shut down or take over enemy systems, but so far none of this has left the planning stage yet.
    I mean it sounds like if they could actually manage having servers with 1000+ people simulatenously it could be a fun little minigame even now. Too bad they are all too happy shooting themselves in the foot over and over.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •