Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Actually it was recently dropped to 40 people.
    Probably to reduce the frequency of 30k crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    The irony of this post kills me.
    Nah what kills you is the fact that Star Citizen keeps thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Actually it was recently dropped to 40 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Probably to reduce the frequency of 30k crashes.
    It's still 50 people per server. 40 player cap was only during a special event.

I can't believe people are still arguing over this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Here's my take on SC after having been very involved with its development for some time now.

Having been a backer for several years, the game has significantly improved since when I first started in 2017. There was only 1 planet to land on and it was essentially unplayable. Now, I can get 60 fps in most areas, and 3.13 seems to have fixed a lot of game breaking bugs. Still, I think the intended scope for the game is way too big. It will take 10 more years before it's even close to being what CR has envisioned.

Servers are currently limited to 50 players, which makes the huge sprawling landscapes feel completely lifeless, especially since there is no fauna to speak of. Player made outposts and improved server tech will improve the lifeless feeling the game has. They want to scale servers up to 1000 players over time, and I think they can do it. When I first started I was skeptical that they'd ever be able to get the game into a playable state, but they definitely have. I think they will deliver on a lot of their other promises too, it will just take a long time to get there.

Another big problem the game has is that many of the big professions are not in yet. Medical, farming, base building, science, data running, scavenging etc.. are not in the game. They need to get these out there so there is an actual game to play. Mining is in already, and I enjoy it, but it isn't enough.

There's also the issue of bugs. I would play far more often if it wasn't for the fact that you can lose your entire mineral haul because of a game crash.
    I dunno, sounds like a lot to of wishing and hoping that they can deliver on those things. If you think it is 10 years off how much more money do they need to get that off the ground?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Nah what kills you is the fact that Star Citizen keeps thriving.
    Guess we'll see what happens as the 'game' continues to age and people get even more jaded. I mean just looking at posts from active backers they sure are quick to get angry at the delays and patches being pushed back. Eventually their patience will end. Also I'm not so sure I'd call the 'game' thriving. Collecting money? Sure. Thriving? Not so much.

I wish CIG developers put as much effort into the project as the volunteer PR team... fuck, I could be having a blast with the 3rd chapter of S42 by now.

Kickstarting or Early Access are not a new concept.

lolwut? You didn't event read my post and blatantly invalidated all of your arguments, clearly pointing out you're just a fanbois trying to justify your parents' money you spent on this game years ago.

Your dream game is? Hold on tight!
    /facepalm

If it wasn't made clear by what I highlighted.... some folks are upset because they've missed dates, yet still somehow have all the time and money to spend on creating ships to monetize, when integral systems aren't in place for the game to even function correctly.

CIG priorities don't seem to be in the right place.

The game is not "still" in alpha. The game is already in alpha and doing better than many other "released" games of the same genre.
    Nope. It's "still."

But not JUST any alpha, super pre-alpha where core systems and system stability aren't even in place.

THAT'S why I have issues with it. Not because it's in alpha, but because there are literal CORE systems not in place, this many years and this many dollars into it.

The time or money it takes is irrelevant. Just like it's irrelevant how much GTA6 is taking or how long GTA7 will take after it.
    It is VERY relevant. The fact that you don't think it is, is incredibly telling.

Only problem you seem to have is wanting a game like Star Citizen and having no option to wait for it.
    No. That's not my problem at all.

Ken's right when he states: No official release date has ben published. .
    This is the most bad faith and disingenuous argument I've seen on this entire forum, from both of you. And you know it, you're just trying to spin it where "that number 2016 at the end of the trailer totally doesn't mean CIG has any intention of releasing anything in 2016." It's bullshit.

Actually they aren't relevant. Gamers who haven't backed or don't play said game are irrelevant to the development of said game. They are indeed, just trying to fit in. Barely
    Huh? This is a discussion forum. Who the hell in this thread do you think is trying to be relevant to the development of the game? How is this even a response to what I said?

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Huh? This is a discussion forum. Who the hell in this thread do you think is trying to be relevant to the development of the game? How is this even a response to what I said?
    They've been active in trying to chase people out of the discussion, I mean it doesn't work but it sure is funny to watch them try.

Guess we'll see what happens as the 'game' continues to age and people get even more jaded. I mean just looking at posts from active backers they sure are quick to get angry at the delays and patches being pushed back. Eventually their patience will end. Also I'm not so sure I'd call the 'game' thriving. Collecting money? Sure. Thriving? Not so much.
    Yeah we've been hearing that doom preachers theory for years now. Meanwhile the number of players engaging with the game and money generated has only been increasing along the years aka Thriving.

The fact that you seem so bothered by that only accentuates your obsession with seeing it fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    lolwut? You didn't event read my post and blatantly invalidated all of your arguments, clearly pointing out you're just a fanbois trying to justify your parents' money you spent on this game years ago.
    Nothing to read or take from it besides the fact that you made up some theory about marketing while ignoring basic concepts of Early Access, Crowdfunding and Game Development.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    /facepalm

If it wasn't made clear by what I highlighted.... some folks are upset because they've missed dates, yet still somehow have all the time and money to spend on creating ships to monetize, when integral systems aren't in place for the game to even function correctly.

CIG priorities don't seem to be in the right place.

Nope. It's "still."

But not JUST any alpha, super pre-alpha where core systems and system stability aren't even in place.

THAT'S why I have issues with it. Not because it's in alpha, but because there are literal CORE systems not in place, this many years and this many dollars into it.

It is VERY relevant. The fact that you don't think it is, is incredibly telling.

No. That's not my problem at all.

This is the most bad faith and disingenuous argument I've seen on this entire forum, from both of you. And you know it, you're just trying to spin it where "that number 2016 at the end of the trailer totally doesn't mean CIG has any intention of releasing anything in 2016." It's bullshit.
    Your issues are your issues, don't try to tie them to the game and it's development or the community at large ,specially when it keeps thriving as it is.

Game Development clearly isn't for you and that's fine.

This is what an "official release date" looks like:

Estimated windows of release are just that, they can make sense at the time but things can and will change due to uncertainties that are impossible to predict like it usually happens during games in development.

CIG has the fortune of being independent and choosing how they pace their development and not having to compromise on their game full vision for the sake of meeting a specific date.

The core of the backers who kickstarted the project and keep supporting it wants to see this game fully realised as much as the impatient and cynical ones, but not at the cost of a reduced scope or downgrade in fidelity.

Those who have a hard time waiting just have to suck it up and deal with it the best they can. Even if that resolves around bitching around random forums.

^ See above ^

They've been active in trying to chase people out of the discussion, I mean it doesn't work but it sure is funny to watch them try.
    Nah we want you guys right here engaged and fuelling your obsession to see it fail for many years more, keeping the Star Citizen thread up top fresh and lively while it keeps thriving and maturing into a great game that even cynics, haters and trolls will learn to appreciate.

In actual game news, PTU Patch added docking collars for the huge ships that barely fit or don't fit at all in the space station hangars:

And invictus Free Fly event date was officially announced to be at the end of this month like last year.

Already confirmed that players will be able to go inside the Javelin Destroyer that was showcased in the Xenothreat event and even maybe have a glimpse of the even bigger Bengal Carrier which are ships heavily featured in the Squadron 42 campaign.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-05-05 at 08:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everytime i see this name im like: Lul is this scam still going on?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Blah blah
    Hi. This still isn't a response to what I said. This is a poorly tied together head-canon about what you think a release date is and... I guess, just a bunch of your typical name calling that comes out when someone says something you disagree with?

It seems like you take this whole thing personally. What is it about people criticizing the development of this game, and CIG's business practices, that bothers you so much? You know that I'm not attacking you as a person, right? I'm criticizing a ten year old alpha with a cash shop that has $30,000 items on it.

Answer this: Morally, do you have an issue with a company selling a theoretical product for hundreds or thousands of dollars? I'm not talking about the alpha that's been in development for a decade. I'm talking about selling ships within that alpha that's been in development for a decade, which are currently just JPGs.

Also also, what does the year at the end of a trailer mean? Kenn never seems to answer that one, and it's been burning me up inside.

Hi. This still isn't a response to what I said. This is a poorly tied together head-canon about what you think a release date is and... I guess, just a bunch of your typical name calling that comes out when someone says something you disagree with?

It seems like you take this whole thing personally. What is it about people criticizing the development of this game, and CIG's business practices, that bothers you so much? You know that I'm not attacking you as a person, right? I'm criticizing a ten year old alpha with a cash shop that has $30,000 items on it.

Answer this: Morally, do you have an issue with a company selling a theoretical product for hundreds or thousands of dollars? I'm not talking about the alpha that's been in development for a decade. I'm talking about selling ships within that alpha that's been in development for a decade, which are currently just JPGs.

Also also, what does the year at the end of a trailer mean? Kenn never seems to answer that one, and it's been burning me up inside.
    It's not what I think it's a release date, it's the simple fact that estimates are different than officially release Dates. Which objectively CIG hasn't yet announced for Star Citizen or Squadron 42.

A Date, as per the English dictionary basic definition is:

- A numbered day in a month, often given with a combination of the name of the day, the month, and the year:

In official contexts and for the sake of accuracy are usually specific and tied to contracts and obligations. That is why estimates are used when there are uncertainties tied to the subject. In this case, game development.

Example: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...d-of-next-year

"A beta version of Beyond Good & Evil 2 is due for release towards the end of 2019, creator Michel Ancel has said."

Hint it didn't happened and Ancel is not even working on the game anymore.

I think there's way more important things in life than trying to hold gaming companies to some imaginary honour code of the righteous gamer by posting on a forum just because you have a special grudge against a game or a dev.

People who constantly rant and negatively post repeatedly about something while stating their doing it so because of "morals" are just using that as an excuse to have an axe to grind against something particular.

They try and justify their resentment with certain games or companies. Maybe some game decision has caused them frustration and grief because things didn't pan out as they hoped that they've somehow became emotionally entangled with it for deeper reasons. They are stuck and trying to get over it but can't, shitposting is used as an escape.

You can read all about in this developer post about "Angry Gamers": https://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/...he-angry-gamer
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-05-05 at 08:52 AM.

Nah we want you guys right here engaged and fuelling your obsession to see it fail for many years more, keeping the Star Citizen thread up top fresh and lively while it keeps thriving and maturing into a great game that even cynics, haters and trolls will learn to appreciate.

And invictus Free Fly event date was officially announced to be at the end of this month like last year.
    Oh yes let's keep this minor thread at the top, soon enough it'll go dormant for a few more months like it usually does because there is fuck all going on in the game.

Woah careful now that free fly event date at the 'end of the month' is that official? I mean is it 5/31/2021 or just 'end of the month' because apparently that fucking matters.

Regardless of how much you try to obfuscate it (I love how you went from "it's not at all a number to do with releasing of anything" to "it's an estimate"), undershooting "an estimate" by DOUBLE at minimum in number of years that your project will take is.. extremely bad management, IF we assume ignorance and not malice.

In a way it's nice. It's like those old catholic basilicas and churches, where generations get to work on the same project and finish it centuries later!

I think there's way more important things in life than trying to hold gaming companies to some imaginary honour code of the righteous gamer by posting on a forum just because you have a special grudge against a game or a dev.
    Translation: Don't be critical of SC, it hurts their feels.

- - - Updated - - -

Man they are going to ignore those dates on the videos until the heat death of the universe. Forget anything CiG has said, anything put on a video anything CR has said on video, none of that matters. Only what Kenn/Anderson think a release date or estimate really is.

Oh yes let's keep this minor thread at the top, soon enough it'll go dormant for a few more months like it usually does because there is fuck all going on in the game.

Woah careful now that free fly event date at the 'end of the month' is that official? I mean is it 5/31/2021 or just 'end of the month' because apparently that fucking matters.
    It's easy to get the thread on top since Star Citizen get's constantly updated along the year which means there's always new things to test and discuss game related.

That haters and people who don't like or play the game get their jimmies rustled by it is just icing on the cake.

Free Fly events are announced officially yes. Which means they have a set specific DATE that is announced to backers and forward in press releases to gaming websites. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...-Save-The-Date

An officially announced Date:

Quite a simple and straightforward concept.

It's easy to get the thread on top since Star Citizen get's constantly updated along the year which means there's always new things to test and discuss game related.
    Yup just go back until you and kenn stopped posting a week or two ago and there was a nice long gap where this thread you know, wasn't at the top. Also the thread being at the top isn't exactly good for games, see Trials of Ascension.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite a simple and straightforward concept.
    Nothing SC has ever done has been simple or straightforward.

- - - Updated - - -

That haters and people who don't like or play the game get their jimmies rustled by it is just icing on the cake.
    Yeah I'm not the one running around in circles attacking multiple people at once to defend a game. That'd be you. You take it to personal insults on top of it. You can like this pile of shit 'game' all you want, it is still a pile of shit.

I don't think they want the game to finish. There are more than enough players an whales to keep it going forever.

Just bring out a new ship for a couple fo thousand dollars every few month and that is it. Job secured. Couple that with a fe minor updates and infos about The Squadron-on-a-stick 42 game, mostly that it has been delayed again.
    With that timing most of the actors playing in that game will be dead by the time it releases.

Haters trying to justify their hate for a game they don't even play while getting their jimmies rustled as it's backers enjoy it's development will never get old.

At the end this just tells more about the sad stat WoW has gotten than anything. Lost souls hanging by a thread where the only way to get some joy is by hating other games. #lifegoals

And on a more constructive note, for those with the hardware able to run the game and looking to make use of the Free Fly event here's a updated and very straightforward basic guide for newcomers: