Page 5 of 971 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The game reminds me of Earth and Beyond the EA MMO game ..which I never played just seen videos back in the day . This game looks awesome though ..the graphics are killer and the ideas he has are awesome . However it seems to me that 2m ( now 3m ) is just not enough to pull off what he is going for is it ? Is that just to get a prototype running then pitch it to another company for major funding ?

Quote Originally Posted by Town Drunk View Post
    The game reminds me of Earth and Beyond the EA MMO game ..which I never played just seen videos back in the day . This game looks awesome though ..the graphics are killer and the ideas he has are awesome . However it seems to me that 2m ( now 3m ) is just not enough to pull off what he is going for is it ? Is that just to get a prototype running then pitch it to another company for major funding ?
    Nah, it sounds like its going to be totally kick starter.

A lot of people are choosing to make awesome games without producers for less money.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Cool, Wing Commander series is my favorite of all time. (As you can tell by my name). I just hope this is more Wing Commander/Privateer and less Starlancer/Freelancer. If there is no joystick support I will be less than pleased.

For me I always enjoy what Chris Roberts is up to, but I am really disappointed that EA couldn't come to the table and license the game to Chris. Not that I'm interested in Casey's story from WCP but I would like for them to make a prequel, maybe starring a young Admiral Tolwyn in the beginning of the Kilrathi war in the events before Wing Commander 1. Or even something that happened between Wing Commander 1 and 2 or 2 and 3.

Anyways looking forward to this but I have a feeling it will sell itself short. Hard to match the original series or the cast/characters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Nah, it sounds like its going to be totally kick starter.

A lot of people are choosing to make awesome games without producers for less money.
    Nope hes getting funding elsewhere

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

"We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game."

and FYI for the dude above

" Joystick, gamepad, mouse, keyboard are all supported.

We’ve all got our preferences, so why be forced to choose?"

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    Nope hes getting funding elsewhere

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

"We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game."

and FYI for the dude above

" Joystick, gamepad, mouse, keyboard are all supported.

We’ve all got our preferences, so why be forced to choose?"
    Ah that is good news.

Also I'll plug a fan site i've been visiting for years that is for Wing Commander and also is covering Star Citizen very closely. www.wcnews.com

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    I just hope this is more Wing Commander/Privateer and less Starlancer/Freelancer
    Why do you say this? I thought (as did many others) Freelancer was a fantastic space-sim game, Microsoft just never gave it the support it deserved
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    http://vimeo.com/53321312

Hot-damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts Space Industries
    This video isn’t as polished as I would normally put out so please be nice as we’re 24 months away from anything that would be called final, and even 12 months away from just a multiplayer alpha dogfighting build. The laser effects, explosions are all placeholders and there will be significant work done here, as well as some very cool shield effects I have cooking up in the background. My goal with the visual effects is to use a lot the techniques and looks used in film work, which are now possible with DX11 and modern day PCs.
    My favorite part is how the explosions are placeholders and from the one we can see clearly, look nicer than a lot of stuff out there currently

I think the part that made me smile and laugh during this movie was all the minute "changes" the thrusters were doing to the ships even while flying straight. It just seemed so awesome to me and so real that you can't just fly straight, your ship is constantly adapting so that you can "fly straight"

im excited
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Keeping my fingers crossed for this game.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I'm very very skeptical that we can get good fluid performance with that kind of graphics in a "space sim shooter". You need constant 60FPS in this kind of games and the ships being mathematicaly simulated every frame is realy hard to make it work in a mainstream PC, even a mainstream PC 2 years from now.

You can get it to work with a dozen ships on range, but if you start to make it a war-zone with several dozen ships than i serriously dougt it, at least with complex and realistic ships' thrusters that dynamicaly move the ship, etc.

I honestly don't know the engine if it can perform this miracle so i shouldnt even coment but ... if this do work i think it will be a revolution in PC gamming. Hopefuly it works.

On the safe side, i'm throwing my money on them, its the least i can do after giving me so many hours of privateer and wing commander fun

From their comments I bet we can expect to see a closed beta in late 2013.

So we shall see in about a year what the engine can do.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by knightpt View Post
    I'm very very skeptical that we can get good fluid performance with that kind of graphics in a "space sim shooter". You need constant 60FPS in this kind of games and the ships being mathematicaly simulated every frame is realy hard to make it work in a mainstream PC, even a mainstream PC 2 years from now.

You can get it to work with a dozen ships on range, but if you start to make it a war-zone with several dozen ships than i serriously dougt it, at least with complex and realistic ships' thrusters that dynamicaly move the ship, etc.
    The thrusters are just there for show to make it look more realistic. They are being calculated based on the ship's current movement and desired movement (i.e. played input) and outputting graphics. It's like having clothing that moves dynamically on a player. Clothing isn't controlling anything, just making it look cool

I think it looks a lot more complex than it seems

I've never really played any Space Sims, even though I've always been kinda interested as I'm a big Sci-Fi fan, so I decided that this was my opportunity to finally get started and backed it!

Very much looking forward to the Alpha.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw this on kick starter a while back but I wasn't sure about it. After watching the other videos and reading some of the forums Star Citizen looks amazing! I ended up buying it... Even though it doesn't come out for like 2 years. And I was looking on the forums, but I couldn't find any info on alpha/beta. I don't think I have ever pre-ordered a game thing early into development so hopefully it will all work out!
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's been said they're hoping to have an early alpha version by this time next year

7 and a half hours left, and they've got $5,545,430 in total so far! Apparently if they get to $6mil they be able to completely build the game they imagined. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    if they get to $6mil they be able to completely build the game they imagined. Fingers crossed!
    Shouldn't they try to do that regardless? ^^

Anyway, really impressed at how much backing this croudfunding got. I'm personally going to wait and see, but it definitely looks like it has awesome potential.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Put in 37 bucks last week. This game looks amazing!

Edit: Apparently I accidentally the verb.
    Last edited by Nerraw; 2012-11-19 at 01:05 PM.

Deleted
    bloody hell they got up to 5.5? i thought theyd do well to get to the 4.5 goals....

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Shouldn't they try to do that regardless? ^^
    Yes, they should. The original goal was $2 million because they have the rest of the financing from a private investor. I've been really scratching my head since they started pushing the stretch goals so hard. I think they got a little carried away.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

15+ Year Old Account
    ^ Definitely.

I'm sincerely hoping they use a chunk of that money to hire more people to push the game out faster