Folks, let's keep discussion on the game please.

10+ Year Old Account
    The screenshots are all great.
    But the gameplay I watch on twitch, the way players move and interact with the environment reminds me of fallout 76.
    Something is Definitely strange/not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    The screenshots are all great.
    But the gameplay I watch on twitch, the way players move and interact with the environment reminds me of fallout 76.
    Something is Definitely strange/not cool.
    A few years back, if you got on a fresh server, the movement and interaction was pretty seemless and slick. Definitely feels janky today.

To get an idea how much the company lies about their progress and dates just read the comments about Roadmap on Spectrum forum.

Those are people who paid and actually care for the game.
    Since they already paid there is no way out for them.
    Better keep your money in your pocket until release.
    They can't even fulfill patch dates, thats why there is no release date at all.

I feel like this game can only go two ways. Either it will be the biggest and most scandalous failure in video game history, or it will be the most audacious and triumphant realisation of one man's vision in video game history. The financial sums involved, the shifting development timetables, the dream being sold to backers, there's no middle ground for Star Citizen to end up in. I hope Roberts pulls it off, I really do. Right now it feels like it could go either way.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I feel like this game can only go two ways. Either it will be the biggest and most scandalous failure in video game history, or it will be the most audacious and triumphant realisation of one man's vision in video game history. The financial sums involved, the shifting development timetables, the dream being sold to backers, there's no middle ground for Star Citizen to end up in. I hope Roberts pulls it off, I really do. Right now it feels like it could go either way.
    The sad part of this statement is that we will not know for several more years which it turns out being. At least the ride is entertaining though.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Technically speaking it is already a scandalous failure going by the original goals but it might even though extremely doubtfully eventually become a decent game. I'd not bet on the latter tho'.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

SW:ToR is running on The Hero Engine, a very early alpha of it, and heavily modified on top of that. Pretty much that. Safe to unofficially nickname it, the "SWTOR HERO Engine"

This proves 5 years is enough time to build something from scratch, enough time to modify and configure something.
    Swtor was pretty stable and complete on release.

Puts an end to all cig excuses. They have wasted 4 years+millions of dollars with their weak management. They admit it.
    They wasted so much that they had to change their eula, tos whatever so many times and forced them to players.

9 years have passed and still there is no gameplay but only assets. They can delay another 9 years because there is nothing that forces them to release anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    SW:ToR is running on The Hero Engine, a very early alpha of it, and heavily modified on top of that. Pretty much that. Safe to unofficially nickname it, the "SWTOR HERO Engine"

This proves 5 years is enough time to build something from scratch, enough time to modify and configure something.
    Swtor was pretty stable and complete on release.

Puts an end to all cig excuses. They have wasted 4 years+millions of dollars with their weak management. They admit it.
    They wasted so much that they had to change their eula, tos whatever so many times and forced them to players.

9 years have passed and still there is no gameplay but only assets. They can delay another 9 years because there is nothing that forces them to release anything.
    SWTOR didnt build an engine from scratch and they had a full studio to begin with, as technology improves games take longer to develop. While i had fun playing SWTOR for a few years the engine was not great.

SC has an alpha with a ton of gameplay so its not only assets so at least do some research before talking nonsense, SC is a very ambitious game larger than anything ever made so it will be ready when its ready, everyone knew chris is a perfectionist and that would add more development time, i would rather the devs take as long as is needed to make the game correctly.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    SWTOR didnt build an engine from scratch and they had a full studio to begin with, as technology improves games take longer to develop. While i had fun playing SWTOR for a few years the engine was not great.

SC has an alpha with a ton of gameplay so its not only assets so at least do some research before talking nonsense, SC is a very ambitious game larger than anything ever made so it will be ready when its ready, everyone knew chris is a perfectionist and that would add more development time, i would rather the devs take as long as is needed to make the game correctly.
    Come on, the "had a studio" argument is becoming to fall on deaf ears. It's been 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Ohh, this one is interesting.
    First one: A Boiled egg is a very weak comparison. A buffet would be a more fitting comparison. Because A: A Boiled Egg is usually done by a single person, and very simple. And you only judge the taste of the Egg, while on a Buffet usually works a Team, there a few more things flowing into it to make it good, and you judge the overall performance.
    Second: Never have I stated you need to be "the Best", maybe I choose a word poorly, but you need to be an Expert in the field you are claiming it doesnt work, or has to be managed better.

But back to your Boiled Egg.
    You as Customer get a Boiled Egg. StarCitizen isnt a Boiled Egg, its right now at most an Appetizer. You can say: "Ohh, it doesnt taste me" thats all.
    You dont have any Qualifications to judge if its actually possible to boil that egg. If yes, tell me, WHY its Impossible? "Its not Boiled yet is a very poor basis." But you cant come up with anything to rebuke than: "Hurr durr, if it were possible, why isnt it here yet?" Honestly, thats like when I order a Boiled egg, and after two minutes ,because I dont know jack shit about Boiling Eggs, I complain, that I´m doubting they even Boil my Egg and say, "They never get this Magical Egg Boiling done", without realizing that it just takes at least 6-7 Minutes to get a decent Egg out of the Kitchen.
    You dont have also no Qualifications that the HeadChef is managing his Chefs in a proper way. Because you only get the Egg. Whatever happens behind the scenes, you have next to no Knowledge about. And with your complete lack of expertise in the cooking field, you also cannot judge that this Egg could´ve been cooked faster or more Efficient.

Furthermore, I never talked about Quality, did I? You can judge/complain/critize everything there actually is.
    Mental gymnastics at max level
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Rofl
    So cig built CryEngine?
    Didn't know Crysis was a Chris Roberts project.

Rofl
    So cig built CryEngine?
    Didn't know Crysis was a Chris Roberts project.
    The hero engine was mostly complete so required less work and it still took many years to finish, To makes SC work the engine had a ton of work to be done and a ton more to be added for it to work, the cryengine is not really made for large multiplayer or even a fraction of what SC does currently. It takes 8-9 years now for companies with 3-4 times more staff to make a sandbox game, why do you expect a space MMO to be made quicker.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Some people are ok with a space sim that has cool ships and a good looking immersive environment where they can just chill in space. If that's not your thing and you're expecting a "finished" game with progression that you can beat and forget about like most games then obviously it's not for you.

And people bitching about the funding is comical on a board created for a game that charges $15 a month just to play on top of a base price for each expansion. If you had played WoW since 2004 that would come out to thousands of dollars compared to a $45 lump sum for this game. And I say all that having not even played the game besides the free trial.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2021-04-04 at 05:31 AM.

The hero engine was mostly complete so required less work and it still took many years to finish, To makes SC work the engine had a ton of work to be done and a ton more to be added for it to work, the cryengine is not really made for large multiplayer or even a fraction of what SC does currently. It takes 8-9 years now for companies with 3-4 times more staff to make a sandbox game, why do you expect a space MMO to be made quicker.
    Hero engine was still alpha and bioware made many modifications to it so it didn't require less work. Hero engine was also wayyy smaller company than Crytek.

Cryengine was not made for large multiplayers which was never needed for SQ42. Where is SQ42? Soon 2016?

Of course it would even take 100 years to make a game when you have such a bad management, no punishment for lying about release dates and no reason or law that pushes you to release the game.

To get an idea how much the company lies about their progress and dates just read the comments about Roadmap on Spectrum forum.

Those are people who paid and actually care for the game.
    Since they already paid there is no way out for them.
    Better keep your money in your pocket until release.
    They can't even fulfill patch dates, thats why there is no release date at all.
    All we need now is "Chris Roberts is about to make you his bitch" ads. Time is a flat circle and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Some people are ok with a space sim that has cool ships and a good looking immersive environment where they can just chill in space. If that's not your thing and you're expecting a "finished" game with progression that you can beat and forget about like most games then obviously it's not for you.

And people bitching about the funding is comical on a board created for a game that charges $15 a month just to play on top of a base price for each expansion. If you had played WoW since 2004 that would come out to thousands of dollars compared to a $45 lump sum for this game. And I say all that having not even played the game besides the free trial.
    Then these people should finance their own game and not use money from people who were promised something else.

And I have no idea what that 2nd "argument" about the cost/funding is supposed to tell us.
    People paid for WoW and got what they wanted, or have at least gotten a finished product.
    With this game however, you don't even know what you will and what you won't get... or if you will get anything at all.
    I don't see what's so comical about critizing that. I think it's absurd and a joke to even compare it like that.

"I pay 2000€ for a PC to play games on, and people bitch about this 45€ game" ????
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-04 at 10:08 AM.

ppl just pay for the potential to one day play a good game, there are many complex games out there, even just games with masses of variety. star citizen kinda reminds me of open source stuff, for example one roguelike I play occasionally is CDDA, its open source its been around for years, its had over 1000 contributors. it gets updated every day mostly. sometimes multiple times a day. its not a graphically complex game at all, but it is a mechanically deep game with a significant amount of depth and variety. I doubt it'll ever be 'finished'. but it'll likely reach a state one day where most of the core features are fully implemented. this will be the same for SC at some point there will be a build that has just enough features to make the game play loop enjoyable at that point you'll see more ppl play it consistently.

its happened with other games too. elite dangerous, that just got a big update, no man sky, still a grind but, a lot more enjoyable than when it launched. even other mostly crowd funded games like tarkov, I played tarkov since 0.6 back then I would have said, meh, don't bother, at this stage, 12.10 its pretty good now, still needs work, a lot closer to the final game than star citizen is but the actual progress has been tangible.

I don't think anyone really cares what ppl think about star citizen, it either reaches a point where it becomes a fun game to play with friends, or it doesn't. what ppl pay for is the opportunity to one day play a game they feel might have some awe inspiring moments. I don't really see much innovation in the industry, but its probably because when ppl want these sorts of, hand crafted universes with a staggering amount of depth and fidelity you're gunna be spending, years creating this stuff. I've no doubt this game will be stuck in developmental hell for probably another 10 years at this rate, but I do think it will reach a point where a large portion of the core game exists and is playable. and I think at that point it won't matter what ppl are saying because those who want to play it will be.

star citizen is that game I want to play one day I only bought the Avenger Titan so I haven't exactly sunk that much into the game. but if me buying the game helps it in some small way to actually become a game. thats good enough for me. at the end of the day, no one else is really trying to do this, so if this game doesn't get made, there won't be a space sim like this. how long do you think it would take frontier to match star citizens feature set? 10 years? 20? ill be amazed if they ever manage atmospheric flight. are they ever going to have as much variety as say, no mans sky per planet that has a breathable atmosphere, probably not. at the end of the day, the game was and still is a gamble every early access game is, all of these games that are basically self published as far as i'm aware star citizen doesn't have a whole lot of marketing are there ads for SC because i've never seen one, same with tarkov, that games popularity grew through word of mouth or through streamer popularity alone. ppl see a game they want to play. its not hard to get invested in a game you want to play. tarkov is still technically an alpha but it has hit nr1 on twitch before now during big patches. they call it a beta and stability wise, it kinda is, but since they are still implementing core features its kinda still an alpha.

the problem for SC is that it probably has several years to go at least before ppl start hopping in and making frequent persistent progress and have some sort of well defined progression to the game. ppl are going to be able to whine about this game up until the point that it becomes a more playable game. which could indeed be a while.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-04-04 at 01:52 PM.

To makes SC work the engine had a ton of work to be done and a ton more to be added for it to work, the cryengine is not really made for large multiplayer or even a fraction of what SC does currently.
    And whose fault it is if they used a wrong Engine to start with ?

I mean, if you built a car but expects the engine to work with coca cola and spend millenia to make that work, you're the only one to blame here

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post

WoW's also been, you know, fully playable for those 15+ years and its cash shop is far, far less egregious than Star Citizen's thousand dollars .jpg of a ship you might be able to fly sometime late this decade without the server committing suicide. This is an especially bizarre hill to die on.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.