The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The only date that actually means anything is the day the game is released in full, nothing else before that matters in the slightest.

CiG have never once stated any timeframe on the full SQ42 release, its a CR game and ppl will just have to wait as long as it takes for it to be completed.
    You keep making this whole "It's a CR game" comment, yet IIRC a year or 2 ago when people pointed out his horrid history making games you kept saying they were wrong. Though I admit I could be confusing you with Anderson. Depending on if this keeps bugging me I will go back and reread the whole thread, it has been a year or to so it is about time for a refresher about the utterly unbelievable excuses made to pardon this games development hell.

The only other game like this I can think of is Duke Nukem: Forever, and I think SC shares several issues that game had, a main 1 being taking too long and having to redo stuff so it didn't look dated/adding in the coolest new thing the devs saw into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    I will go back and reread the whole thread, it has been a year or to so it is about time for a refresher about the utterly unbelievable excuses made to pardon this games development hell.
    Speaking of threads to go back and reread to see the crazy shit people say when defending a game, Trials of Ascension is a legendary thread here too.

But yeah, go back and look at the things kenn, anderson, Odzee, cogs&cocks and a few others have pulled trying to defend this game.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Speaking of threads to go back and reread to see the crazy shit people say when defending a game, Trials of Ascension is a legendary thread here too.

But yeah, go back and look at the things kenn, anderson, Odzee, cogs&cocks and a few others have pulled trying to defend this game.
    Ugh. . . the Trails thread ewwe, it is just sadness there with the defense of that. SC is at least funny maybe half the time, sad the other half unlike the Trails thread (I have some limits).

I see you didn't include Val in your list of defenders. I don't want to rag on him, but he did until a year or so now, defend SC fairly hard. Over the last year or so though he started giving honest reviews of the latest patches, which I found to be very informative since I don't play SC, and now will even criticize the game for its delays and flaws. I also appreciated him calling me out when I post stuff I thought to be noteworthy that got delayed, but was wrong and they pointed out why.

To sum up Val is now one of the most neutral, and best sources of info on the current state of the game. Both positive and negative features of what is currently in SC.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    2014 kickstarter date was made irrelevant when they put in stretch goals.

The only date that matters to gamers is when the game is ready to play, nothing before that matters as thats reality.
    Don't speak for me. What matters to you is not the same for the rest of us.

THATS reality.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    So, what happens if CIG put out a date that was this magical day/month/year, but when that date came, they announced that it would be delayed for an unknown amount of time for whatever reason.

Would that date then matter?

Someone can scream "Its a CR game" all they want, but that isn't some sort of glowing endorsement. It means nothing.

Anyway, some fun reading in the first half of this. Imagine thinking it might have been on the PS4. Meanwhile, one entire console generation later....
    Hell there is this article https://www.polygon.com/2013/11/18/5...e-says-roberts, they got ps4 dev kits. It is crazy this game was starting out during the freaking ps3 era, and we are now starting the ps5 era. I am wondering if the ps6 will be out by the time this game launches and at that point the consoles will easily be able to handle the game. They completely mismanaged this game. I am honestly just wondering by the time this game comes out will it even look good anymore?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Don't speak for me. What matters to you is not the same for the rest of us.

THATS reality.
    @Orange Joe You should know by now that Kenn speaks for all of us, the entire human race, when it comes to Star Citizen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Hell there is this article https://www.polygon.com/2013/11/18/5...e-says-roberts, they got ps4 dev kits. It is crazy this game was starting out during the freaking ps3 era, and we are now starting the ps5 era. I am wondering if the ps6 will be out by the time this game launches and at that point the consoles will easily be able to handle the game. They completely mismanaged this game. I am honestly just wondering by the time this game comes out will it even look good anymore?
    This ties into my comparison of Duke Nukem:Forever. Since the development has gone on for so long, and technology has progressed so much, SC has to keep redoing everything to not look like a last gen, or even a gen before, game that does not look and/or play like shit.

@Orange Joe You should know by now that Kenn speaks for all of us, the entire human race, when it comes to Star Citizen.

- - - Updated - - -

This ties into my comparison of Duke Nukem:Forever. Since the development has gone on for so long, and technology has progressed so much, SC has to keep redoing everything to not look like a last gen, or even a gen before, game that does not look and/or play like shit.
    Yup, the old cutscenes that used facial capture used to look good, but now compared to stuff that Naughty Dog puts out it looks awful.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Yup, the old cutscenes that used facial capture used to look good, but now compared to stuff that Naughty Dog puts out it looks awful.
    IKR. See this is the issue any game will run into if it goes at or over 7 to 10 years of development. Tech moves so fast the last 20 years and keeps moving faster, so almost all games that take 8-10 years min to develop will see how outdated their game looks and fall into the trap of trying to update everything. Ignoring that by the time they do 9 times out of 10 they will once again be behind the curve technologically.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok wow. I don't remember anyone bringing this up before but the film company that Chris Roberts founded, Ascendant Pictures, was shut down because Germany realized they and others were exploiting a tax loophole.

Now I hate to bring this up since I love and own the movies Lucky Number Slevin and Lord of War, but given that Chris Roberts founded Ascendant Pictures and that company was shut down by a country because of shady fucking behavior, how is it not possible that since a company he founded and ran once was doing shady shit, he is not trying to do it again in the unregulated "Kickstarter" part of the internet now?

As a side note. I am normally very good at compartmentalizing a creator from their art, but this is kinda straining that ability of mine.

Ok wow. I don't remember anyone bringing this up before but the film company that Chris Roberts founded, Ascendant Pictures, was shut down because Germany realized they and others were exploiting a tax loophole.

Now I hate to bring this up since I love and own the movies Lucky Number Slevin and Lord of War, but given that Chris Roberts founded Ascendant Pictures and that company was shut down by a country because of shady fucking behavior, how is it not possible that since a company he founded and ran once was doing shady shit, he is not trying to do it again in the unregulated "Kickstarter" part of the internet now?

As a side note. I am normally very good at compartmentalizing a creator from their art, but this is kinda straining that ability of mine.
    I find it unlikely Chris would try doing something so incredibly risky when he already has so much money. The Star Citizen project is very high profile. There are even tax-payed funded documentaries on Star Citizen. IIRC there were was also a government investigation into CIG at some point? Any way, if Chris was actually doing tax fraud or some weird money wire transfer stuff, the chances of discovery are very high, and the consequences for discovery would be fatal. Ofcourse he's giving himself a nice big paycheck for his mansions and his yachts, but actual criminal stuff? Doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris must know some pretty good lawyers. CIG was embroiled in a lawsuit with Crytek over the Crisis/Lumberyard engine for years, and with this project there is always the risk of dissatisfied backers launching a class action lawsuit or governments checking out CIG for selling PNGs of spaceships for hundreds of dollars and still not actually delivering the promised spaceship to backers. Those lawyers must be monitoring the project pretty closely to keep CIG from doing anything that could provoke bad legal action happening to Chris and CIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Chris must know some pretty good lawyers. CIG was embroiled in a lawsuit with Crytek over the Crisis/Lumberyard engine for years, and with this project there is always the risk of dissatisfied backers launching a class action lawsuit or governments checking out CIG for selling PNGs of spaceships for hundreds of dollars and still not actually delivering the promised spaceship to backers. Those lawyers must be monitoring the project pretty closely to keep CIG from doing anything that could provoke bad legal action happening to Chris and CIG.
    Probably not. That seemed like a bit of a fishing expedition on their part to begin with, to be honest. Crytek has been hurting for money for a while and likely thought they could get some settlement cash out of it or something. I honestly don't think there's anything remotely shady/illegal going on. Poor management? Sure. Insane ambitions? Absolutely. But even though it's slow going it's clear they're dumping money into the game. Is there waste? More likely, but waste ain't fraud or anything else. That's just waste.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I find it unlikely Chris would try doing something so incredibly risky when he already has so much money. The Star Citizen project is very high profile. There are even tax-payed funded documentaries on Star Citizen. IIRC there were was also a government investigation into CIG at some point? Any way, if Chris was actually doing tax fraud or some weird money wire transfer stuff, the chances of discovery are very high, and the consequences for discovery would be fatal. Ofcourse he's giving himself a nice big paycheck for his mansions and his yachts, but actual criminal stuff? Doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you read my post it says it was a tax loophole that was exploited. That is why no one went to jail, that I could find, over this shitstorm.

As for paying for his, his wife's, and his friends life style, yes it is as things stand since there is no law against it. Just like what happened in Germany with his film company.

Well as far as I have checked there are no laws in the USA, or the EU, or any first world country that prevent him from selling those bogus .jpegs sadly. This is a case of the law not catching up to technology sadly.

In the first case of his film company he found a way to exploit the tax code to make bank. I never said it was illegal till Germany saw the problem and decided it was. Hell 2 of the movies he made by exploiting the tax code I love and still do, even though they were made most likely through immoral means.

Stop pre-paying for products before they are finished. Doesn't matter if its a game or a mattress. You're doing capitalism wrong. Why is anyone surprised?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Probably not. That seemed like a bit of a fishing expedition on their part to begin with, to be honest. Crytek has been hurting for money for a while and likely thought they could get some settlement cash out of it or something. I honestly don't think there's anything remotely shady/illegal going on. Poor management? Sure. Insane ambitions? Absolutely. But even though it's slow going it's clear they're dumping money into the game. Is there waste? More likely, but waste ain't fraud or anything else. That's just waste.
    I don't know @Edge.

I think with Companies run/founded by Chris Roberts skirting the law because they have not caught up to current technology is a fair point of contention since his companies have a history of exploiting loopholes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Stop pre-paying for products before they are finished. Doesn't matter if its a game or a mattress. You're doing capitalism wrong. Why is anyone surprised?
    @choom you are totally right. RIP TotalBiscuit.

Remember the Panama Papers ? Yeah, literally nothing happened.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Remember the Panama Papers ? Yeah, literally nothing happened.
    I have to say that is a bit to totally unfair. A loophole is not illegal, just unethical. The Panama Papers were even closer to illegal fuckery, instead of just a loophole.

Ugh. . . the Trails thread ewwe, it is just sadness there with the defense of that. SC is at least funny maybe half the time, sad the other half unlike the Trails thread (I have some limits).

I see you didn't include Val in your list of defenders. I don't want to rag on him, but he did until a year or so now, defend SC fairly hard. Over the last year or so though he started giving honest reviews of the latest patches, which I found to be very informative since I don't play SC, and now will even criticize the game for its delays and flaws. I also appreciated him calling me out when I post stuff I thought to be noteworthy that got delayed, but was wrong and they pointed out why.

To sum up Val is now one of the most neutral, and best sources of info on the current state of the game. Both positive and negative features of what is currently in SC.
    Yeah I don't think I was around much in this thread when Val was a hardline defender. Val has been openly honest of this game as someone that is playing it a fair amount. It is nice to have someone showing that honesty that the game has a lot of problems but there is 'some' potential there. Sadly the amount of years and money to get to this point cancels most of that out.

- - - Updated - - -

In the first case of his film company he found a way to exploit the tax code to make bank. I never said it was illegal till Germany saw the problem and decided it was.
    Yeah and you had hack directors like Uwe Boll churning out gaming licensed movies in Germany too. Was quite the loophole and many cashed in.

I find it unlikely Chris would try doing something so incredibly risky when he already has so much money. The Star Citizen project is very high profile.
    Is it high profile? I know to us it seems to be but beyond the very basic information regarding Star Citizen I don't know how many gamers really know what's been going on with the game or its development.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Is it high profile? I know to us it seems to be but beyond the very basic information regarding Star Citizen I don't know how many gamers really know what's been going on with the game or its development.
    Very much so, just not so much for consumer level attention.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Very much so, just not so much for consumer level attention.
    Yeah Edge and I know this might be controversial, but given that most "games journalism" has been mostly nothing but editorial/opinion pieces for the last several years it is no surprise that gamers no longer bother with gaming news anymore.

@Val the Moofia Boss No one said CR is the brightest bulb in the box, most of the idiots that do stuff that is either unethical/illegal believe that they are too smart to get caught/or that they are in a gray enough area that it won't matter. Just like how when CR exploited that German tax loophole he was never indicted or even charged with breaking any law.

Yeah Edge and I know this might be controversial, but given that most "games journalism" has been mostly nothing but editorial/opinion pieces for the last several years it is no surprise that gamers no longer bother with gaming news anymore.
    That's...not it at all, not remotely.

Believe it or not, most gamers just don't care that much about some outrageously crowdfunded space game for super hardcore space sim PC fans. And really, if you're not into the game there's really not much reporting on anyways as it goes through development. It gets a decent amount of news coverage with each update, it's just not that interesting to most folks.