Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    How can one become this unironical of a bootlicker?
    Same way people promote NFTs - they're in on it.
    Last edited by ldev; 2022-03-29 at 11:35 AM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    How can one become this unironical of a bootlicker?
    He's spent over $10,000 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    That's what she said.
    Just like many other posters here that is just here to insult the game or anyone who supports the project you are unable to provide anything tangible to back up your negative views about the game/company, the only reason you are in here is to spread bad information and provide as many insults to the company as possible just like most of the other posters who have no credibility.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Just like many other posters here that is just here to insult the game or anyone who supports the project you are unable to provide anything tangible to back up your negative views about the game/company, the only reason you are in here is to spread bad information and provide as many insults to the company as possible just like most of the other posters who have no credibility.
    Just like the one other poster here that is just here to defend the game and insult anyone who criticizes the project you are unable to provide anything tangible to back up your views about the game/company, the only reason you are in here is to spread bad information and provide as many insults to other posters as possible just like the one other poster who has no credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I really hope Star Citizen will be a game that blows us all away one day. But reality is, one day when funds dry up they'll dub it "release candidate" in the crappy state it's in, call it a day and move on to greener pastures and other companies. I really don't get people still having faith in this after all that went wrong to this day.
    I'd say it's been doing alright considering how the hype remains growing after all these years. From the first crowdfunded trailer till now it has came a long way and it's still the best option for playing an all encompassing online universe. Star citizen, even despite all its issues, is still a remarkable technological achievement. And that many have heard of, but not many have actually played, which leads to a lot of people not understanding or appreciating the sheer scale and fidelity of the game. As of now it is probably the largest high fidelity open world in gaming history.

And Since they keep iterating on the game and implementing the features they want for the game and the community seems to enjoy them enough to keep backing their efforts like the continuous growth of funding show with every year breaking funding records. Funding show's no hints of slowing down anytime soon, in fact it's much more reasonable to assume that will continue to grow as the game gets better and more players join in. So they are in the best place they have ever been. Specially since the recent influx of so many new players.

3.17 patch has been in evocati for quite a while and brings some pretty important stuff to the game, namely the refuelling mechanic, the ability to sell items (full loot pvp yay), network improvements and the quanta economy tied to the back-end for the economy simulation. Along with that comes some always welcome QoL fixes, a new cargo ship, addition of clouds to another planet and the first iteration of rivers.

They added water in game, groundbreaking stuff, so cool.

They added water in game, groundbreaking stuff, so cool.
    On a 80x80 km flat map yea. Standard stuff.

On fully realised proc gen planets that can have hundreds of rivers per planet. A completely different ballgame specially when going for realistic graphics along with scalability and performance.

Also, it's all further work towards procedural lava rivers, roads and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post

On fully realised proc gen planets that can have hundreds of rivers per planet. A completely different ballgame specially when going for realistic graphics along with scalability and performance.

Wowza wowza wowza. This world doesn't deserve chris roperts.

Also, 80x80km flat map, so like WoW could have done in 2004 - just add more zones and you can fly from bottom to the top, streaming zones. Mind = blown.

And with next gen scalability - like 7 people too! Jesus, developers must be eating some serious brain food, like walmart instant noodles.

Mighty impressive.

And procedural generation rivers! Wow, I hope No Man's Sky 2 will have this in 2030. Because right now that's completely different ballgame. Unprecedented.

What christ roperts CAN'T accomplish once he sets his mind on am I right? Phew lad, nothing, the sky is not the limit for this genius.
    Last edited by ldev; 2022-04-03 at 02:50 PM.

Wowza wowza wowza. This world doesn't deserve chris roperts.

Also, 80x80km flat map, so like WoW could have done in 2004 - just add more zones and you can fly from bottom to the top, streaming zones. Mind = blown.

And with next gen scalability - like 7 people too! Jesus, developers must be eating some serious brain food, like walmart instant noodles.

Mighty impressive.

And procedural generation rivers! Wow, I hope No Man's Sky 2 will have this in 2030. Because right now that's completely different ballgame. Unprecedented.

What christ roperts CAN'T accomplish once he sets his mind on am I right? Phew lad, nothing, the sky is not the limit for this genius.
    I'm not sure you're following. If making procedural planets with AAA graphical quality was an easy thing to pull off we would've seen more games using it I think.
    Last ones to try to pull it off were Bioware in Mass Effect: Andromeda and Ubisoft with Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Hoping that Bethesda went for it with Starfield to see how they tackled these challenges.

I'm not sure you're following. If making procedural planets with AAA graphical quality was an easy thing to pull off we would've seen more games using it I think.
    I think that gameplay sells games, not empty planets you can move camera around.

Sir, I regret to inform you that it isn't procedurally generated. If you go back a mere handful of pages, you'll see Kenn's clear explanation as to how all content in Star Citizen is hand crafted.

No no no, you got it all wrong. It's the way around!

Very little is exclusively procedurally generated in Star Citizen. Most it's placed and crafted by artists using special procedural tools developed by CIG to be able to "paint" each planet with different biomes seamlessly add details etc. This has been explained and showcased a number of times in several panels by CIG dev's:

The same goes for space stations. The Covalex, Space Port Kareah, GrimHex space stations were all placed and crafted manually. The Hurston crashed satellite tied to a mission, caves aren't all the same, some are big others small. Some you can only access by foot, others you can enter with ground vehicles and some are only accessible with a spaceship. The multiple Easter egg areas in many planets and moons were all hand-crafted and placed there by devs in that exact location by choice. The Benny edge stop in yela's asteroid, Christmas fire place below Microtech main building, The bench with beers overlooking the spaceport and city. And most recently the painting of Jax Mccleary in New babbage skyscraper showed inthe trailer is there too.

What CIG has been doing is building the tools and refining them to be able to automate the process the most possibly without loosing quality and purpose. But their Universe is for the most part curated with the work to achieve that leveraged with the help of procedural tools, but never automatically generated by an algorithm by a set of parameters to infinity.

So the look of the outposts belonging to the law abiding companies in Stanton will not be the same look of the outposts in Pyro where they have no presence. Pyro will have it's own colonialist style reflected along that system be it in the architecture or inhabitants clothing and so on.
    That's not really an issue when you put a high density of handcrafted content and variety in that single system. It's the reason why hand crafted games usually end up feeling more engaging and alive than procedurally generated ones despite being "less massive".

If you have the funding graphical fidelity is definitely the way to go if you're objective is to create believable and engaging game worlds or in this case universe. Rockstar does that with the GTA's and RedDead's, Ubisoft with the Assassins Creeds, NaughtyDog with the LastofUs and pretty much every AAA developer thrives to push graphical fidelity on their tittles as much they can.

There's no point in trying to cater to the wider market when your product is niche, specially when one of it's biggest reasons why it was crowdfunded and current selling points is graphical fidelity. Like a Toyota Prius will need to cater to a large number of people the Lamborghini will cater to a smaller number of people. Why Elite might have "sold" 4x times than Star Citizen while only generating less than 1/3 of the funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Everything is handcrafted though, doesnt matter if assets are resued is other locations, in a large scale game is it to be expected to reuse assets.
    Conclusions are your own people on whether or not you can still sit down and listen to those 2 posters or like most following the thread have them for entertainment purposes....

Oh and

Last ones to try to pull it off were Bioware in Mass Effect: Andromeda and Ubisoft with Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Hoping that Bethesda went for it with Starfield to see how they tackled these challenges.
    Sorry to bring you back to reality MrAnderson as it seems you are still somewhere in the Matrix, but Beyond Good and Evil 2 has the same release date like Star Citizen which is somewhere in the next century. Maybe slight difference being that Star Citizen kinda has something to show off just to not get even more bad press like Beyond Good and Evil 2 as that game is somewhere lost in most probably one of the imaginary planets of Star Citizen...Who knows maybe one day someone will find a trace of it....
    Last edited by - Zephox -; 2022-04-04 at 05:05 PM.

I think that gameplay sells games, not empty planets you can move camera around.
    Both can sell. See, Space Engine and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

If you're able to mesh booth's formula together with a online persistent universe with fps/economy/rpg elements and they will sell even more as Star Citizen funding shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Sir, I regret to inform you that it isn't procedurally generated. If you go back a mere handful of pages, you'll see Kenn's clear explanation as to how all content in Star Citizen is hand crafted.
    You're mixing technology and concepts of how procedural generation can be used. And there are multiple levels of usage and dependencies.

In Star Citizen, all the assets are still handcrafted (armour, weapons, ships, cities, interiors, trees, bushes, rocks). As in, they are made by hand by an artists. But they are made in a way that they can then be leveraged by an algorithm to be reproduced and placed with automatization and a set of parameters.

But although all those interiors, trees, bushes, rocks are modelled and textured by artists hands, they are still then placed in the world thanks to an algorithm to create procedural generated space stations, planets, derelicts and so on thanks to their modularity. That's why they take longer to create, because they have to build them as individual but inter-usable pieces so that they can be used across the universe multiple times.

To create planets of The Ground, trees, rocks, bushes textures that cover all those planets and moons in a realistic way they use procedural generation to leverage their assets. It's with that tech that you're able to fill up complete planets with an algorithm or else players would need have a 100000000TB disk to hold every single texture of every single planet and moon for km2's like they do for other AAA games of much smaller areas and much bigger sizes and all without loading screens.

Quote Originally Posted by - Zephox - View Post
    Conclusions
    ^ See above ^
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2022-04-05 at 06:25 PM.

You're mixing technology and concepts of how procedural generation can be used. And there are multiple levels of usage and dependencies.
    I can assure you that I'm not. I'm merely repeating Kenn.

3.17 testing still going in the PTU (open to all) but should go Live this week. Some nice stuff in the new patch and going on under the hood to the back-end with improvements to performance and economy side of things.

LVLCAP explored a bit of the planets (and moons) of Star Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    You guys know that kenn is a reactive poster, right (or at least, from my limited observations)? If you stop posting, he'll stop posting, and the thread will die, won't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Nah, Andi will post another 30 minute video about why walking around in a void and shooting at broken npcs is superinteresting and engaging.

LVLCAP explored a bit of the planets (and moons) of Star Citizen
    @XDurionX 20 minute videos* but close enough my friend.
    Ahahahaha!

Nice Mining Tutorial for those starting out in the Verse:

3.17 patch intensive testing still ongoing, lot of fixes and performance seems to be getting better for a Live release.
    New ISC showed some glimpses of Pyro looking very grimy and sinister.

A way darker vibe than the Stanton System, should be interesting setting.

3.17 patch intensive testing still ongoing, lot of fixes and performance seems to be getting better for a Live release.
    New ISC showed some glimpses of Pyro looking very grimy and sinister.

A way darker vibe than the Stanton System, should be interesting setting.
    At this rate Pyro will have more places to explore than Stanton, should be a blast exploring it all.

I still remember when cig shills were telling me how "rendering to texture" is revolutionary tech. Like, plenty of Playstation 2 games utilized rendering to texture lolololol.