Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Brewmaster Duel-Wielding

So I was talking to someone the other day and he called me an idiot for saying that it was viable to duel wield. I'm currently using a staff because its just what I've had drop, but is there any reason left in the game not to duel-wield as brewmaster tank? I was under the impression parry haste was no longer in the game and two-hander vs duel wield is equalized pretty well.

So is duel-wield viable, if not please give me reasons why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    Yea like threads about retards in LFG imply all WoW players are retards

I mean if you are fat then you are fat, this thread won't make you more offended than the mirror.

Both are equally viable. Whoever you were talking to doesn't know how to Brewmaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a question about DW Brewmasters, ive read the guide and..unless im really blind, i didnt saw any mention of it.

Well, here's the question. Do i still aim for 7,5% hit as DW? because as far i know, DW is used for steady procs of EB instead of spikes EB procs, BUT, EB only procs from white crits, wich means, normal hit..wich means..7,5% wont cut for DW...

So, even with DW, should i go for 7,5% hit or go for more?

Assuming you have somehow managed to get a 2.6 2h, DW would still produce 62% more hits(and by extension, crits) than the 2h in the same timeframe, even if you only go for the special cap.

You're looking at the issue the wrong way. Yes, you miss more often, but you also strike way, way more often.

Also keep in mind that this hit has to come from somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    i see, thanks.

Yeah again, I don't mention anything about DW vs 2h anywhere (except in the race section, since no race has expertise for polearms / staves) because it really doesn't matter. The difference in stat priorities are so miniscule, it's not even worth noting and there's no definite leader in terms of stats or active mitigation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Yeah again, I don't mention anything about DW vs 2h anywhere (except in the race section, since no race has expertise for polearms / staves) because it really doesn't matter. The difference in stat priorities are so miniscule, it's not even worth noting and there's no definite leader in terms of stats or active mitigation.
    Unless I'm wrong, auto attack crits give you dodge stacks, wouldn't the 2h 40% haste be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Tykku View Post
    Unless I'm wrong, auto attack crits give you dodge stacks, wouldn't the 2h 40% haste be better?
    the 40% haste with 2h is factored into it. 2h and DW will make roughly the same number of stacks per minute, with DW providing more crits per minute and 2h providing more stacks per crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihal View Post
    I have a question about DW Brewmasters, ive read the guide and..unless im really blind, i didnt saw any mention of it.

Well, here's the question. Do i still aim for 7,5% hit as DW? because as far i know, DW is used for steady procs of EB instead of spikes EB procs, BUT, EB only procs from white crits, wich means, normal hit..wich means..7,5% wont cut for DW...

So, even with DW, should i go for 7,5% hit or go for more?
    Your hitchance doesnt influence your crit at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Your hitchance doesnt influence your crit at all...
    It does however affect your chance to hit, which means more opportunities to crit. We use a two roll system: first checks if you hit, the second checks if you crit. So if you fail that first roll, you're missing opportunities to even check if you've critted or not.

It's what happened last I heard, at any rate. So indirectly, yes, it does affect your chance to crit.

Deleted
    Allright guys, another question.

I just experienced that if using a staff together with the glyph "jab", you only get single EB stacks, not 3 of them. Now i am confused: bug? working as intended? are my hits now counted as dw hits? or not, and if not, does that mean i get way less stacks of Eb than i should?

please explain :X

Quote Originally Posted by Tombard View Post

I just experienced that if using a staff together with the glyph "jab", you only get single EB stacks, not 3 of them. Now i am confused: bug? working as intended? are my hits now counted as dw hits? or not, and if not, does that mean i get way less stacks of Eb than i should?

That.... Hm. Actually interesting; I've been experiencing a similar issue where I felt as though I was getting less stacks than I should. And indeed, it was when I switched to using the Glyph of Jab. Wonder if it's a bug?

Will see if I can do some testing tonight, see what happens. Unless someone has confirmation one way or the other. Hmmm.

Not an expert monk myself, but that sounds like a bug since minor glyphs aren't supposed to affect actual combat mechanics in any way.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    the 40% haste with 2h is factored into it. 2h and DW will make roughly the same number of stacks per minute, with DW providing more crits per minute and 2h providing more stacks per crit.
    So it really boils down to preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    So it really boils down to preference?
    pretty much yes. a good rule of thumb, whatever weapon has the higher ilvl is what you should use.

Deleted
    update on the glyph: jab problem. i am killing rats in SW for 20 mins now. (lol) and i am getting 2 stacks per crit. now i am even more confused :P

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Assuming you have somehow managed to get a 2.6 2h, DW would still produce 62% more hits(and by extension, crits)
    This is a highly misleading statement. Yes, DW will get more crits than 2h, but not because there are more hits. More hits don't get you more crits, more swings do. Increasing your hit chance does not increase your crit chance.

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    It does however affect your chance to hit, which means more opportunities to crit. We use a two roll system: first checks if you hit, the second checks if you crit. So if you fail that first roll, you're missing opportunities to even check if you've critted or not.
    This is completely incorrect. There is one attack result roll. Hit, miss, crit, dodge, parry, and glancing blow are all one random roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    update on the glyph: jab problem. i am killing rats in SW for 20 mins now. (lol) and i am getting 2 stacks per crit. now i am even more confused :P
    some monk bugs (like the Power Guard bug where it drops after a mob kill) seem to be a bit... shy, and only show themselves when you're in a dungeon (i.e, when you need them to work properly) Try testing again in a dungeon and see what happens.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post

It's what happened last I heard, at any rate. So indirectly, yes, it does affect your chance to crit.
    You didnt get what I was saying...

It was explained above again, its a one-roll-system

So does the 40% from a 2H only effect attack speed and NOT Energy regen even though it shows as flat Haste on your character sheet? I was under the impression with Haste being such a good stat for Brews that an extra 40% would make a 2H the clear and only choice...