Need mage help on Elegon...

So, as a fire mage with a 364 ilvl, I was having difficulties killing energy sparks fast enough. I was spamming FB. I didnt use combustion on them because I thought it was better to use on the boss. Should I reforge out of crit for more haste, use combustion on then, scorch instead of FB? What do you suggest?

Yer I was as well, really dependent on critting. I managed to do okay taking PoM, saving up a Pyro proc from the inbetween phase and getting the tank to help a little (he was splitting his time between mine and a warlocks) letting us take out 4 without too much difficulty.

Same problem here maybe ask the guy right next to help you when he's finished.

Deleted
    Test all specs to see which works best for the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    So, as a fire mage with a 364 ilvl, I was having difficulties killing energy sparks fast enough. I was spamming FB. I didnt use combustion on them because I thought it was better to use on the boss. Should I reforge out of crit for more haste, use combustion on then, scorch instead of FB? What do you suggest?
    What I do: Try to fish for crits with scorch (also on the boss shortly before the sparks spawn) and force pyros that way. If you save up a pyro or get it while you cast on the spark you can pretty much rape the spark with: activate alter time -> pyro -> alter time -> pyro

It's crucial to handle infernoblast well though and never miss a "heating up"-situation, otherwise you will have lots of troubles (and need help at least on the 3rd/4th+ spark(s))

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Test all specs to see which works best for the encounter.
    Yeah, you could also switch to frost (or arcane too probably - haven't tried it yet though), if your raid is struggling with sparks mainly.
    Last edited by Carline; 2012-10-11 at 06:39 AM.

Deleted
    Arcane is pretty good for sparks I find.

I play on 25 man format, so i'm not alone on my spark. However, with arcane you have a pretty good burst if you do the following :

Stack up to 6 arcanes charges, preferably with 2 missile procs. Once you reach 6, don't dump you charges on the boss. You have to keep them. Once the spark pops, cast your two missile stacks and arcane barrage.

You also can take frostbomb and detonate it early with fireblast glyphed. This deals 250k+ damage on the spark, which adds to your first burst.

Fire is good for sparks, only if you are lucky with hot streak. Our fire mage is sometimes first on the sparks, sometimes in the bottom. As for me, I prefer to have reliable dps.

You can also try frost which have pretty good predictable burst.

Yes, I wasnt getting any hot streak procs for most of the attempts, so I wound up allowing the 3rd spark to reach its pylon. I went arcane in a dungeon and just did not pull the numbers I did with fire, so I'm a little afraid to go arcane. I'm on a trial status with the guild, and I dont want to look bad and get replaced, so I'm hoping they bring me again tonight and I get some more hot streak procs. When I did get the ocassional HS proc, it took like half the sparks life away.

Take a look at this thread as it was talking about this fight and has a lot of great information in it regarding the fight.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pec-for-Elegon

After spending a whole raid night on elegon (3 hrs) i swapped between fire / frost all night. I found for orb purposes fire was the best. Mainly because i can control my pyro's for the orbs. There where times where it got close but the spamming fireballs > IB > Insta pyro's was more than enough with crits and maybe an extra fb just incase.

Deleted
    I'm finding this problem with fire atm. I'm 17.8k sp and 25% crit self buffed and I'm still not getting my orb down. I was thinking of trying frost but I've just speced for arcane. That should help me out a lot.

Try a different spec if u feel fires not working for you.

I didnt had any problems with orbs ..we were downing 4 orbs ...so what i usualy do is when i kill 1st orb ...just dps the boss untill ignite..then save pyro for orb ..+ couple fireballs and its down also u can asign a tank to help on ppl with orb problems

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DaChaS View Post
    I didnt had any problems with orbs ..we were downing 4 orbs ...so what i usualy do is when i kill 1st orb ...just dps the boss untill ignite..then save pyro for orb ..+ couple fireballs and its down also u can asign a tank to help on ppl with orb problems
    This.

On every side we had a meele to do the spark at the middle and after that he helped out, the tanks as well.

So save pyros between sparks, and if its gonna be short ask for help early enough.

Using scorch to force hot streaks worked well for me on Elegon. I'm sitting at 482 item level with 29% crit though, it gets much easier as you get more gear. So keep trying the banking hot streak method, and if that's not working either try and see if maybe a tank can give you a hand might not be out of the question. Don't be discouraged though, fire is very RNG dependant it's a tough situation to be put in this early into item levels, trying to burst something down and relying on sub 20% crit spells.