Is monk dps worth it?

So my friend has been trying to get me to make a monk for his core. He said it is topping the charts? Are these guys worth making at the moment?

Deleted
    I can't say for certainty that they "top the charts", but some of my guildies are very pleased with the dps they are dishing out so far.

15+ Year Old Account
    they're competitive enough to take along ^_^

My first raid was last night with the monk, I was within the top 3 within the dps charts, without full understanding the fight and full blue heroic gear and weapons.

They are very competitive!

I topped the charts in LFR Feng, warlock was close second but 3rd place was 2-3% behind he and I. I tank in our 10man and have only gotten to dps on Elegon (which is an unfriendly to melee as it gets) so take that however it goes.

I love tanking or Dpsing, Ive done more of the latter in 5mans, but always give my guildies a good run, sometimes beating them others not.

Monk Dps is very very fun. but they scale worse than some other classes so while we are very competitive atm we will prob fall behind by the end of the teir.
    Shhh im typing this to u on my i phone on the toilet at work

Quote Originally Posted by Castif View Post
    Monk Dps is very very fun. but they scale worse than some other classes so while we are very competitive atm we will prob fall behind by the end of the teir.
    Seeing as we haven't had any opportunity to, y'know, scale at all, I do wonder how you figured this one. Sims can only take you so far, especially with such a new class.

OP, Monks are great to play. If you have fun as one, then go for it. They do decent DPS and are great healers and tanks. Thoroughly recommend playing one if you enjoy it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Seeing as we haven't had any opportunity to, y'know, scale at all, I do wonder how you figured this one. Sims can only take you so far, especially with such a new class.

OP, Monks are great to play. If you have fun as one, then go for it. They do decent DPS and are great healers and tanks. Thoroughly recommend playing one if you enjoy it.
    i'm looking forward to leveling mine ^_^

Deleted
    If it's worth making one? Yes, but that's a personal opinion. If you have fun playing the class, then it is.
    If you want one for progress raiding, it depends. On some bosses (pure single target with high melee uptime, or fights with much aoe going on) you will be doing great right now, e.g. Feng or Gara'jal. If there are almost constantly 2-3 targets, multi-dot and cleave-classes will just stomp you (Stone Guardians, Elegon, Will of the Emperor - at least multidotters there).
    To the scaling thing: You can simulate that a bit on Gara'jal with the secondary stat buff. E.g. my peaks with the buff were at 100k, 82k, 100k, 103k, while our warrior did 216k, 110, 179k, 162k, 141k. So it's safe to assume that we'll at least scale much worse than warriors. Though the 216 and 179k were with CDs.

Monk is honestly the most fun I've had in the game since TBC
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jcf86ad View Post
    So my friend has been trying to get me to make a monk for his core. He said it is topping the charts? Are these guys worth making at the moment?
    They are competitive and a great class to play, its the most fun I've had playing on my Monk since I played my Rogue in vanilla.

Deleted
    Single target you can stay very damn close to the top most of the time, I only get knocked off the #1 spot in raids by a damn good hunter or the other ranged classes on extreme movement fights.

The main problem is we have is the lack of cleave so this means if there are under 5 targets then you're dps is going to look the same as a single target fight while other classes will just soar past you, it's not a big deal at the moment but I am hearing of monks and other no-cleave classes being sat out on Heroic Stone Guard so it could become a more significant issue when we see the other raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisisanalt View Post
    Single target you can stay very damn close to the top most of the time, I only get knocked off the #1 spot in raids by a damn good hunter or the other ranged classes on extreme movement fights.

The main problem is we have is the lack of cleave so this means if there are under 5 targets then you're dps is going to look the same as a single target fight while other classes will just soar past you, it's not a big deal at the moment but I am hearing of monks and other no-cleave classes being sat out on Heroic Stone Guard so it could become a more significant issue when we see the other raids.
    I am a noob sort of with raiding, but I was under the assumption that the Stone Guardians (first boss), have a shared health pool. So I guess I'm wondering why would it matter if we don't have a cleave ability that we would be 'possibly' benched?

I'm guessing it is possibly viewed as this (say a 20million HP pool and hitting on that vs. several hits across 7million)..right? Just tryin to understand that.

OP: I love my monk, it is SO refreshing after being an alt-whore over the past 5-6 years to play something this different that is incredibly fun to play.

Try it and if you don't like it, go back to whatever you were playing before! =D

Quote Originally Posted by ClimacticGaming View Post
    I am a noob sort of with raiding, but I was under the assumption that the Stone Guardians (first boss), have a shared health pool. So I guess I'm wondering why would it matter if we don't have a cleave ability that we would be 'possibly' benched?
    Because someone like a Combat Rogue increases their damage dramatically by having two targets close enough to Blade Flurry. Sure, they have a shared health pool, but the rogue is doing something like 50% more damage than they would on a single target. They're depleting the shared health pool from both ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimacticGaming View Post
    As a lock, I'f I apply my dots to both, im doing near 2x the damage, since I'm hitting the health pool on two bosses
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

play what you like first, ill be damned if i would play a class for the "group" if i WANTED to play a different class. plus WW gets to look at Big crits and we get to spam them often. i hate DPS classes that end up with 39739485739845734 little 1% damage listings recount

Hey guys it's Rab from US #8 guild TM,

WW Monks are a lot of fun to play however they are difficult to "master". Anyone can pick one up and dps in the middle of the pack for most of the content available but the extremely good monks will be able to stay top 5 within their respective groups. As the tier progresses onwards you will notice monks start to plateau as other classes make leaps and bounds forward but this is due to a lack of scaling. To answer your question, it's about the player behind the WW Monk and not so much the class itself. If the player is good, the monk will be viable... if the player is mediocre then the monk will fall off mid - late tier 14.