Thread: 1-hand crosbows

Deleted

1-hand crosbows

While levelling my first demonhunter (lvl 45) I noticed something very strange, at least for me.
    In my main hand I have a 1-hand crossbow that does 777.4 dps (lvl req -16) and in my off-hand a second 1-hand crossbow that does 116.5 dps with an overall damage of 9870. At certain moment I came across a shield that had some int and vit on it but when I hoovered with my mouse over the item I also noticed it would give a damage increase of 4.400.
    When equipping it I indeed had an overall damage of 14.200. Removing the shield again, my damage remained the same.
    So while I was of the idea that equipping 2 x 1-hand crossbows would give more damage, it actually gives less damage.
    Anyone that has an explanation for this or is it a bug ?

Deleted
    I could be completely making this up, but I believe the damage is averaged between the 2 crossbows. So having a low dps offhand is actually hurting you. They should be the same (or at least similar)

Quote Originally Posted by Shammunition View Post
    I could be completely making this up, but I believe the damage is averaged between the 2 crossbows. So having a low dps offhand is actually hurting you. They should be the same (or at least similar)
    pretty much this, the worse your offhand is the worse your overall dps will be
    게임 은 어렵~~

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    Basically this means that carrying 2 of them is a waste since I doubt any crossbow as off-hand will be comparable to a good shield of equal level when it comes to defensive stats.

Your off hand xbow should be a stat stick. I cant remember (since my dh's bores the hell out of me now) but i think they are like barbs, your spells are cast based on the mh, not the oh.

You also get 15% attk speed for dw'ing. If i saw a dh with a 1h bow and shield id leave the game

Quote Originally Posted by Cavecat View Post
    Basically this means that carrying 2 of them is a waste since I doubt any crossbow as off-hand will be comparable to a good shield of equal level when it comes to defensive stats.
    This is not entirely correct. You get a 15% attack speed buff when you dual wield. This means that if you can find two similarly high DPS 1-handers, you will do more DPS than a 2-hander with the same DPS.

From a DPS standpoint...

(500 DPS 1h + 500 DPS 1h) > (500 DPS 2h) > (500 DPS 1h + 100 DPS 1h)

Edit:
    Here's a link to a great guide that explains how dual-wield works.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-10-10 at 08:07 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavecat View Post
    A benefit of having two hand crossbows is that you can get 400% crit damage bonus, double hatred regen, and +20 discipline with this combo. A manticore + quiver will give 350% crit damage as max, and +10 disc, and only the quiver can provide hatred regen.

It's also worth bearing in mind that even though you do get a +15% attack speed bonus from dual wielding you get 15-20% attack speed from your quiver, so if you have a 20% attack speed DML you'll loose 5% attack speed switching to two hand bows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammunition View Post
    So having a low dps offhand is actually hurting you. They should be the same (or at least similar)
    I never understood the point of this.
    If the 1hand crossbows needs the same DPS to be beneficial, isn't it easier to just go with only 1 weapon + shield or quiver for extra stats?

I don't think there is a single situation where dual hand crossbows is a good idea.
    It's silly though, because the 1hand crossbow is used exactly the same as the 2h crossbow.

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    From a DPS standpoint...
    And DPS isn't everything. Quivers have much better stats still.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason your DPS drops when equipping a low dps hand crossbow in your offhand is because you always alternate your attacks.

Each hand take turn attacking so first attack is from the 777.4 dps crossbow and the second attack is from the 116.5 dps crossbow. You do get 15% attackspeed but that isn't enough to compensate for the fact that every other attack will hit for a lot less.

Your best bet is to equip a quiver instead of the 116.5 dps crossbow. You can still get your 15% attackspeed and alot more usefull stats that can increase your dps.

Deleted
    Thanks all, I get the picture now. After going up a couple of levels more I was able to equip a second 1-hand crossbow (which I already at bought from AH before) with about equal dps as the one I was using presently (943.6 and 937.8 dps) and noticed the increase because of the 15% attack speed bonus. But as suggested by some people already, I will now go after a decent quiver since stats for both crossbows beside DPS are rather poor.