Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I prefer the WoW style combat (well not WoW anymore since they removed resource management the combat went into a x>y>z rotation which sucks, a mage in Rift is fun combat). I wouldn't mind the 80% autoattack combat if the cooldown spells were interesting, but as it stands they're not that exciting just generic aoe spells, a channeled single target spell or utility/support spells.

What GW2 does is try to go away from the Guitar Hero based gameplay like WoW (which consists of you pressing the right buttons in the right sequence) more to positional combat. In games like WoW you'd have a number of abilities which must be used in sequence to maintain your damage + situational utility abilities. GW2 consolidates them into few skills. Basically, a single skill in GW2 does the same thing as multiple skills in games like WoW. Whether you like it or not, its a matter of personal preference. I like GW2's model better - in the end, it does a better job (giving you access to more abilities/playstyles per profession) while avoiding the Guitar Hero stuff. I mean, if I want to play Guitar Hero, I"d play guitar hero. Imagine a first person shooter where you had to perform a small minigame with your keys for a headshot ^^

I agree though that some professions feel 'better', aka. more fun than others. But this will probably be a personal thing as well. For instance, I absolutely love the Guardian gameplay with all the bluish animations, teleports and flashes, but in contrast, Necromancer seems very lacklustre to me.

Deleted
    My Guardian has the 3 things on the top, a heal, 3 other active abilities.
    5 Abilities, switch and another 5 that i press constantly.

Something very important to understand is that 1 is not an autoattack but simply an ability without a cooldown, heck the third strike is actually important to time.

I dislike playing GW2 in PvE because of that but for PvP its perfect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    I've not played GW2, but with these poor excuses, it doesn't say a lot for the game. How on earth could you compare WoW's mechanics (and it's a HELL of a lot more than a 5 ability rotation -- especially in PvP) which may include 40 or more keybinds to auto-attack? One requires absolutely no input and the other is fluid and engrossing, even if you find it to be tedious.
    You are nothing more than a turret in wow. You would seem to be an overly complicated turret if you use 40 key binds. What class did you play and what did you use the other 30 key binds for?

I don't know what class people are going on about that only auto attacks but even that would be more fun than wow combat. Simply due to the fact that you move about. Running about and dodging attacks is much more engaging than planting your feet and only moving when DBM tells you to. GW2 may in some cases have less button to press but it beats being a turret imho.

Deleted
    If you think GW2 combat is boring and easy, try going underwater in a zone higher lvl than you and then watch as enemies swarm in from all sides, and you will have to evade everything... Just did just that as lvl 8 among lvl 11 mobs... Was hard as nails... The 3D envoirment makes it incredibly hard to keep overview...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    You are nothing more than a turret in wow. You would seem to be an overly complicated turret if you use 40 key binds. What class did you play and what did you use the other 30 key binds for?

I don't know what class people are going on about that only auto attacks but even that would be more fun than wow combat. Simply due to the fact that you move about. Running about and dodging attacks is much more engaging than planting your feet and only moving when DBM tells you to. GW2 may in some cases have less button to press but it beats being a turret imho.
    This is flat out wrong:

1. Positioning is important in WOW ( other hotkey mmo-s)- you have 90 degree cleaves, positioning behind enemies for various bonuses, cones, LOS
    2. You have to be aware of your environment (don't stand in the fire)

Now please do tell how you are only a turret in "WOW".
    Moreover if you feel DMB ruins your game-play stop using it altogether since there are visual or audio ques for most deadly attacks.

As to my opinion on the topic, well I went into GW2 convinced i an engineer would provide the engaging game-play I was longing for, it didn't. In fact I like the plain old warrior game-play more. And I found the high mobilty, fast atack play style I was looking for in Diablo 3 as a demon hunter, different cup of tea but more to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    This is flat out wrong:

1. Positioning is important in WOW ( other hotkey mmo-s)- you have 90 degree cleaves, positioning behind enemies for various bonuses, cones, LOS
    2. You have to be aware of your environment (don't stand in the fire)

Moreover if you feel DMB ruins your game-play stop using it altogether since there are visual or audio ques for most deadly attacks.

As to my opinion on the topic, well I went into GW2 convinced i an engineer would provide the engaging game-play I was longing for, it didn't. In fact I like the plain old warrior game-play more. And I found the high mobilty, fast atack play style I was looking for in Diablo 3 as a demon hunter, different cup of tea but more to my liking.
    I think he's mostly talking about the fact that you can't move while channeling spells.

I somwhat agree though, while it felt pretty good to time that Proc in WoW, the interesting parts of the combat there weren't the dps rotations, but rather the boss mechanics. I couldn't stand playing a caster in wow because of how still you'd have to stand all the time.

Deleted

Simply because you have to stand still to cast stuff just like a turret? If people prefer that type of combat then fill your boots. With newer mmos adopting the action style combat i think it highlights how archaic the stand-cast turret style is. I just find a boss that actually chases after you while chucking out AOE/abilities that you have to avoid preferable to a boss some guy is tanking over in a corner while it just chucks out blobs of goo you have to avoid. Each to their own as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    So you do dps with your main skill and you use the others as situational spells... is that bad? WoW made you press 1-2-3-4-5-1 to do dps... not too exciting .-.
    did you just do what i think you just did?

you said 1-2-3-4-1 is worse than autoattack followed by 2 or 3 every 15th sec ?

Some classes / weapons are definitely more involving than others.

Situational is infinitely more interesting than rotational. Then again, if you are sitting back auto attacking a mob to death in GW2, you're fucking doing it wrong. (...or are level 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    Its just a different play style game, one is heavy on casting a lot of spells quickly but all but ignores positioning outside of the occasional step out of the fire, while the other is heavy on positioning and light on the using spells outside of situational circumstances.
    Quite frankly it's just whether you prefer your combat to be based on twitch/skill-based play, or muscle memory autopilot... Personally I think the answer is pretty obvious.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-10-12 at 01:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pally1 View Post
    Abilities in this game seem quite terrible to me, i mean, average cooldown is somewhere around 30 sec on pretty much anything, stuff lasts on for few seconds and than gets on a CD for a minute.

I find my guardian lacking buttons to push, its like nonstop auto attack all the way with soem almost useless long CD bursts.

Coming from WoWs gameplay, this feels very cheap =[.
    Well, utility skills might have long cooldowns, but weapons skills definitely do not.
    I play a Greatsword guardian and whirling wrath is on a 10 second CD (8 if you pick the trait that reduces 2 handed CDs).
    All the other skills also have CDs below 30 seconds (longest is binding blade with 30 seconds actually).
    Most other weapons have similiar CDs.

How interresting your gameplay is mainly depends on what weapon you use, which traits you get, even which profession you play.
    So if you don't like the gameplay of your character, try changing some of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pally1 View Post
    Abilities in this game seem quite terrible to me, i mean, average cooldown is somewhere around 30 sec on pretty much anything, stuff lasts on for few seconds and than gets on a CD for a minute.

I find my guardian lacking buttons to push, its like nonstop auto attack all the way with soem almost useless long CD bursts.

Coming from WoWs gameplay, this feels very cheap =[.
    what setup do you use. I have a guardian and use a scepter+focus sword+shield(or torch) that's 10 abilites and I use them all constantly. I also use my 3 virtues constantly, my heal, purging flames (17 sec cd). Once I get through my full rotation of those abilites my other 2 utilities are recharged again or I pop my elite which gives me a further 5 abilities to spam.

that's 17 (22 including elite) abilities that I am using a lot during a fight. That's more than enough for me.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Situational is infinitely more interesting than rotational. Then again, if you are sitting back auto attacking a mob to death in GW2, you're fucking doing it wrong. (...or are level 1)
    No, this is flat out false for many professions and weapons choices. The on by default auto-attack is the highest and most consistent means of damage. Such that many skill rotations in Guild Wars 2 are intended to bolster the auto attack.

For example a mainhand sword Ranger or Warrior are doing it right by letting their auto-attack run. They lose damage by using other abilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    Simply because you have to stand still to cast stuff just like a turret? If people prefer that type of combat then fill your boots. With newer mmos adopting the action style combat i think it highlights how archaic the stand-cast turret style is. I just find a boss that actually chases after you while chucking out AOE/abilities that you have to avoid preferable to a boss some guy is tanking over in a corner while it just chucks out blobs of goo you have to avoid. Each to their own as they say.
    moving while casting is a cd for most classes in wow afaik, except for hunter...i don't know why the design choice.

Agreed on bosses chasing you, too bad most gw2 high profile baddies are huge lumps of meat that walk/fly around calling in minions while you occasionally interact by hurling stuff at them or gnawing on their toes. Think fail of deathwing , that was a design worth copying.

10+ Year Old Account
    moving while casting is a cd for most classes in wow afaik, except for hunter...i don't know why the design choice.

Agreed on bosses chasing you, too bad most gw2 high profile baddies are huge lumps of meat that walk/fly around calling in minions while you occasionally interact by hurling stuff at them or gnawing on their toes. Think fail of deathwing , that was a design worth copying.
    Idk about you but the Zhaitan fight was a lot more interesting then deathwings... Was it hard after his 1 shot ooze breathe and throwing his heads at you was fixed? No not really, but he's not the last boss, he's just the last boss for the story missions, mechanics wise he was fairly dull, but whole gameplay wise and just apperance/feel wise it was fucking epic! Not to mention the whole getting to him aspect, that by itself was pretty awesome...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

So..you're saying DW where it is: Stand on platform, kill tentacle, kill adds, kill wing/claw. Jump platform. Repeat. Jump platform. Repeat. Jump platform. Repeat. Jump platform. Kill adds. Kill more adds. Kill head. Loot. Yes, that is an encounter worth copying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No, this is flat out false for many professions and weapons choices. The on by default auto-attack is the highest and most consistent means of damage. Such that many skill rotations in Guild Wars 2 are intended to bolster the auto attack.

For example a mainhand sword Ranger or Warrior are doing it right by letting their auto-attack run. They lose damage by using other abilities.
    I am sorry, but what an arrogant statement.
    The person you quoted was talking about the combat mechanics being interesting. And he is talking about doing combat the right way given those mechanics. Then you reply talking about theoretical dps numbers and state that what is sayin is flat out false. Which is simply not true. Everybody who plays GW2 to any decent levels knows perfectly that standing still and spamming autoattack isn't viable and doesn't make any sense in any form of PvE or PvP. Theoretical numbers against a training dummy are simply irrelevant to what he was reasonably trying to say.
    So, overall, if his statement is "flat out false", as you say, I don't even know how to define yours.

EDIT: Then again, on the more general topic, if you are seriously able to say that GW2 combat, with no limited mana/energy, casting while moving, dodge and casting without target is less dynamic than WoW combat, I politely think that you are hopeless. You may prefer WoW for many reasons, of course, but at this level there's really no competition.
    Last edited by mmocca8cc527ec; 2012-10-12 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merp View Post
    The person you quoted was talking about the combat mechanics being interesting. And he is talking about doing combat the right way given those mechanics. Then you reply talking about theoretical dps numbers and state that what is sayin is flat out false. Which is simply not true. Everybody who plays GW2 to any decent levels knows perfectly that standing still and spamming autoattack isn't viable and doesn't make any sense in any form of PvE or PvP. Theoretical numbers against a training dummy are simply irrelevant to what he was reasonably trying to say.
    The person I quoted said players are "doing it wrong" by "sitting back auto attacking a mob to death". I specifically quoted the part I wanted to address. I don't really have to even address that user, per se but the statement. That statement is false for many weapon kits.

Also not theoretical- this is how the kits work for many classes. On the dummies or mobs, natch. Fighting a Risen Chicken doesn't change how the kits function.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Idk about you but the Zhaitan fight was a lot more interesting then deathwings... Was it hard after his 1 shot ooze breathe and throwing his heads at you was fixed? No not really, but he's not the last boss, he's just the last boss for the story missions, mechanics wise he was fairly dull, but whole gameplay wise and just apperance/feel wise it was fucking epic! Not to mention the whole getting to him aspect, that by itself was pretty awesome...
    Well you and the poster bellow you failed to understand my point, DW sucked balls, it was a horrible encounter, and no Zhaitan wasn't more interesting...bout the same amount of boring only prettier.

TBH i wasn't even thinking of wow when comparing encounter designs, but more dark souls/ darksiders2/ even amalur since those are more in line with what gw2 is.