Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Does anyone else think that combat abilites suck in this game?

Abilities in this game seem quite terrible to me, i mean, average cooldown is somewhere around 30 sec on pretty much anything, stuff lasts on for few seconds and than gets on a CD for a minute.

I find my guardian lacking buttons to push, its like nonstop auto attack all the way with soem almost useless long CD bursts.

Coming from WoWs gameplay, this feels very cheap =[.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you do dps with your main skill and you use the others as situational spells... is that bad? WoW made you press 1-2-3-4-5-1 to do dps... not too exciting .-.

Deleted
    I prefer GW2 style of combat to WoW and TOR, to me it seems far more situational than those so you have less of a rotation thus it is less monotonous, especially when you factor in how much your attacks can affect/be affected by any other group members.
    I think the self heals and evasion have a lot to do with this.

Utilities average 30seconds, weapon skills do not. Guardian is more passive than the other classes I've played, especially with recent Greatsword change to double symbol time. Most weapon cooldowns also improve once you get the -20% cooldown trait.

Or do a Thief with an initiative-building spec that can spam abilities more, a 3 kit engineer that can always cast at least 1 ability from a kit, or an Arcane spec'd elementalist if you really NEED to hit a new ability every other second.

I really like the combat. To each their own.

I tried playing wow after gw2, couldn't do it, just felt too stale and static.

Skills are situational, you're not expected to hit them on cooldown as you would in other games, but hit them when they're needed. I enjoy the active nature of combat in this game

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pally1 View Post
    Abilities in this game seem quite terrible to me, i mean, average cooldown is somewhere around 30 sec on pretty much anything, stuff lasts on for few seconds and than gets on a CD for a minute.

I find my guardian lacking buttons to push, its like nonstop auto attack all the way with soem almost useless long CD bursts.

Rotational based combat is any better? I mean it's either going to be spam 1 attack and the rest situational or going to be press 12444444444412. Pick your poison imo.

Most of the 'busy work' in combat is based on positioning. For the most part you are auto attacking and maybe using 1-2 abilities on CD. The rest are situational as others have said.

Combat dexterity is less typing & more movement based. Just a different style from some hotkey MMOs.

Better than most any other fantasy MMO i've played.

10+ Year Old Account
    What guardian weapons are you using that have average 30 second CDs? I don't share your problem.

Also, try swapping weapons often, it not only makes combat 100x deeper, but more active as well. Just using a single weapon set for all combat situations is rather boring and a lot less effective.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Combat is the worst part of GW2. Most classes have no resource management and you spend the whole time autoattacking. While some people in this thread assume that you just go through your rotation in other games, it does make it more engaging as you still have to avoid AOEs and boss abilities or other players while doing so. Those players are also able to interrupt your attacks and a lot of the abilities are not able to be used while moving so you have to use different abilties that are instant if you want to move and attack.

I also really disliked how charging was very buggy and you rarely ended up next to your target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalek View Post
    Combat is the worst part of GW2. Most classes have no resource management and you spend the whole time autoattacking. While some people in this thread assume that you just go through your rotation in other games, it does make it more engaging as you still have to avoid AOEs and boss abilities or other players while doing so. Those players are also able to interrupt your attacks and a lot of the abilities are not able to be used while moving so you have to use different abilties that are instant if you want to move and attack.

I also really disliked how charging was very buggy and you rarely ended up next to your target.
    1.- "Have no resource management" - You do manage your cooldowns, you have to be good at it. Play a thief if you feel resources are "bland" (or a mesmer up to a certain point).
    2.- "You spend the whole time autoattacking" - In other mmo's you do a rotation, which is as silly as autoattacking.

It doesn't feel engaging at all that you have to be doing the 1-2-4-3-2-1 rotation, is just forced and boring after you manage to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    1.- "Have no resource management" - You do manage your cooldowns, you have to be good at it. Play a thief if you feel resources are "bland" (or a mesmer up to a certain point).
    2.- "You spend the whole time autoattacking" - In other mmo's you do a rotation, which is as silly as autoattacking.

It doesn't feel engaging at all that you have to be doing the 1-2-4-3-2-1 rotation, is just forced and boring after you manage to learn it.
    This isn't a good counter argument.

There are resources and cooldowns to manage in other MMOs. Regardless of "feel" [dubious, unworthy of discussion] a player is objectively engaged by following an active rotation versus literally pressing no buttons. Which is what auto attacking requires; no active input. Literally.

I do not agree that combat in GW2 is of poor quality. Though that is not the way to either contextualize or argue for the merits of the GW2 combat system. It's flat out incorrect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post

I've not played GW2, but with these poor excuses, it doesn't say a lot for the game. How on earth could you compare WoW's mechanics (and it's a HELL of a lot more than a 5 ability rotation -- especially in PvP) which may include 40 or more keybinds to auto-attack? One requires absolutely no input and the other is fluid and engrossing, even if you find it to be tedious.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

After playing wow for 6 years and using macros for everything and just having to move out of aoes or move the boss if I was on my tank to be very boring. I play guild wars 2 on a Xbox controller with auto attack off, and I have to say it feels a hell of a lot more like a action rpg then wow could every hope to achieve. The combat changes greatly if your willing not to be lazy and use auto attack, it keeps you active like old fun games like Zelda, Mark of Creed, even Fable and so on. After playing Guild Wars 2 which killed the mass macros and stupid amount of key bindings just to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    I've not played GW2, but with these poor excuses, it doesn't say a lot for the game. How on earth could you compare WoW's mechanics (and it's a HELL of a lot more than a 5 ability rotation -- especially in PvP) which may include 40 or more keybinds to auto-attack? One requires absolutely no input and the other is fluid and engrossing, even if you find it to be tedious.
    40 keybinds doesn't necessarily mean combat is more active. Doing that in WoW made it more tedious. I had my rotation and my CD's I threw in my rotation every once in awhile depending on what move benefited it the most. Such as haste engineering gloves in wow right before VT (since I was a priest). This was all to maximize damage. Tanking was even more boring as it was just wait for survival cd's to kick in. Healing was kinda the only real active combat for me because what do ya know? Everything was situational.

Nothing was over complicated or interesting about the combat. The content was in the encounters which imo were not all too interesting (some were good but lost its effect after farming it for 6 months because nothing else is released) either most just involved some form of aoe you had to avoid.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-10-12 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing my "face-smash" style on my guardian I have...
    10 weapon abilities to use, 5 for the Greatsword and 5 for the hammer, all of which I cycle through on most fights.
    1 dedicated heal
    4 utility options; which generally involve more face smashing! As a bear!

I find that I have a diversity of options in most fights.

Now mind you, I don't find the individual fights between me and some random mob to be particularly interesting, I don't expect them to be. Some fights are more fun than others based on how "smart" the mob in question is. However, each attack I use I generally find to be useful when I need it. I have leap, pull, stun, knockback, trap, OMGIMABEAR!!, AOE, and generally smashy stuff. I do not find these options to be lacking at all.

I will give you that some classes are more fun than others and the key is playing a class to your strengths. Most classes have the ability to play in a variety of styles, close-smashy, close-casty, stabby, ranged-smashy, ranged-shooty, tanky, healy, really I think the key is figuring out how you want to play, and then finding the class that best fits that.

For me personally, I'm a close-stabby/smashy player or an artillery. Dagger rogue, hammer/greatsword guardian, dual-sword warrior, and staff elementalist all play in a way that I greatly enjoy.

Maybe the class and the way you're playing it just isn't for you. I suggest trying out a variety of classes and unlocking all their weapon skills to determine which one is most enjoyable.

Even in WoW when I had fairly simple 1-2-3-1-2-3 rotations, I enjoyed them because I was playing a class and a style that was fun to me.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please OH please tell me how "long" was your rotation on WoW... it was interesting? no, it was a ROTATION, and that is mechanically boring, sure you get to PRESS MOAR BUTTONZ, but it's not deep at all. This game relies on good control, on WoW you could do it too, and you should do it, but once you were finished with it, pillar and redo rotation, wait for my PoM-Pyro huehue (TBC doublepyro lololol)

Quote Originally Posted by Pally1 View Post

hmm, I would agree and disagree with you.

I agree that many weapon sets and utility skills have long CDs and as such become very situational and so in normal fights your mostly using "skill 1" and one other skill on CDs while the rest you use situationaly.

But I would also disagree of lack of button "pushing" at the same time. Wait, how can I agree that you are not using many skills yet disagree with amount of button pushing? Simple in games like (for your example) WoW you have more spell options at any given time and most of which do not have CDs, but for the most part unless a green/purple puddle is under you all you press as far as buttons go is spells. While as here you may have less spells at your disposal with 10-60 second CD on each you are constantly having to keep positioning with moving and dodging and kiting, so while your fingers may not be as busy up in the 1 through 0 range of your keyboard (or your key binding equivalent) they are constantly having to be used for "wasd" keys and v (again depending on your key bindings).

Point is just because your not constantly having to spam skills you are being just as much active via having to keep on the move and it is much more reaction based rather then rotation based and so though it may be technically less keystrokes since you can constantly hold down the straif key it does take more effort into paying attention and not just getting to fight A and going "ok I am going to press 1,1,1,2,1,3,1,1,1,2,1,3,1,1,1,2,1,3, move 3 inches left, 1,1,1,2,1,3,1,1,1,2..." to win, its "ok I am going to auto attack, every time I get a chance to bleed I will cast that on CD, every time the enemy starts getting to close to me I will snare if its not on CD, if it is on CD then Ill use blind instead untill my snare is off CD, and make sure to apply volnerability whenever I am about to burn all my damage dealing CDs to do 10% more damage on those CDs while at the same time constantly straifing and occasionally dodging to not get killed in 2 hits"

Its just a different play style game, one is heavy on casting a lot of spells quickly but all but ignores positioning outside of the occasional step out of the fire, while the other is heavy on positioning and light on the using spells outside of situational circumstances. Both your doing about the same amount of work but one or the other will feel like more work which is highly subjective. Me personally I find the keeping position more engaging then hiting the same spell rotation over and over, but like I said that is subjective.

I can not comment on other classes, but the OP's class Guardian has a lot of class skills (not weapon skills) on extremely long cooldowns. Some of the skills ie Sanctuary are basically on 90 sec - 2 min CD. For most classes this is what their Elite Skill is on. I can see how he would feel this way. It would be nice if there were a handful of skills on <20 sec cooldowns to use.

I suggest running a Spirit Weapon build. This always gives you something to do as you can fire off their skills when traited.
    Would also suggest swapping between weapons constantly. While not really necessary, swapping between GS and Hammer during combat gives the illusion of being busier.