10+ Year Old Account

Getting a good runedown.

So, I've read around a bit and runes still confuse me as to what does or does not stack. It seems certain stats from some runes stack, while others don't, but nowhere I've found has been particularly clear and a lot of them seem to be old and from the beta. So I'm asking you all if you can help me out and either break it down for me or tell me where to go that breaks it down.

What stats stack from repeated runes? Power? Vitality? Magic Find? What doesn't?
    Does nothing from repeated runes stack?
    Do the same stats from different runes stack? ie:
    +6 Power
    +1 magic find
    and
    +6 power
    +5 vitality

thanks guys!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Your title: I see what you did there.

Everything from different runes stack. However, having more than K (K=2, 4, 6, depending on quality of rune) won't grant you anything additional. ie having 3+ minor runes of X is the same as having 2 minor runes of X, but you can still have 2 each of minor runes of X, Y, Z and get all of their bonuses, even if they overlap in stats

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Everything from different runes stack. However, having more than K (K=2, 4, 6, depending on quality of rune) won't grant you anything additional. ie having 3+ minor runes of X is the same as having 2 minor runes of X, but you can still have 2 each of minor runes of X, Y, Z and get all of their bonuses, even if they overlap in stats
    Okay, so second question.

When I have one Rune of +power/vitality I get +power. When I have two do I get two +power and two +vitality, or do I only get one +power and one +vitality?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The bonus of a rune is a set. For having l<K parts of the set, you get all bonuses (singularly) up to l, So if a minor rune's bonus is: 1) +power 2) + vit, then with 1 rune you'll activate the +power, and with 2 runes equipped you'll activate the +vit. Each part (for a given rune type) will only activate a single time

For all intents and purposes, runes behave exactly like set item bonuses in other games. You get the 1/6, 2/6, etc. bonuses in the same manner.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bonus of a rune is a set. For having l<K parts of the set, you get all bonuses (singularly) up to l, So if a minor rune's bonus is: 1) +power 2) + vit, then with 1 rune you'll activate the +power, and with 2 runes equipped you'll activate the +vit. Each part (for a given rune type) will only activate a single time
    Now, is the same true of gems? Or do they stack?

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Since gems don't have a set factor, of course they stack

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Think of runes as gear set bonuses from WoW and gems as enchants.

Wow gear has a 2 set bonus and a 4 set. It's essentially the same thing except each rune has their own bonuses and it can go to 6. Yes you can mix and match bonuses however the limit on runes is 6.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-10-11 at 10:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since gems don't have a set factor, of course they stack
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Think of runes as gear set bonuses from WoW and gems as enchants.

Wow gear has a 2 set bonus and a 4 set. It's essentially the same thing except each rune has their own bonuses and it can go to 6. Yes you can mix and match bonuses however the limit on runes is 6.
    Well that pretty much clears up everything I was curious about guys, thanks.

Just, be kind.

When you equip runes you see the little bonuses like:

(1) +10 Power
    (2) +20 Condition Damage
    (3) +20 Power
    (4) +40 Condition Damage
    (5) +30 Power
    (6) +5% power becomes condition damage
    (IDK if that's a real set I just made it up)

If you have all six you get the following
    10 + 20 + 30 = +60 Power
    20 + 40 = +60 Condition Damage
    +5% of power is added to Condition Damage on top of that.

I THINK that's how it works, otherwise a lot of runes become quite useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post

(1) +10 Power
    (2) +20 Condition Damage
    (3) +20 Power
    (4) +40 Condition Damage
    (5) +30 Power

10 + 20 + 30 = +60 Power

Yeah, that's exactly how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post

(1) +10 Power
    (2) +20 Condition Damage
    (3) +20 Power
    (4) +40 Condition Damage
    (5) +30 Power

10 + 20 + 30 = +60 Power

I still don't understand it. and if i do, it doesn't make sense to me. if i had 2 from the set above, that would give me 10 power and 20 condition damage? what's so great about that? i could have 2 crap runes, one that gives more then 10 power, and the other that gives more then 20 condition damage, no?

Quote Originally Posted by dank75 View Post
    I still don't understand it. and if i do, it doesn't make sense to me. if i had 2 from the set above, that would give me 10 power and 20 condition damage? what's so great about that? i could have 2 crap runes, one that gives more then 10 power, and the other that gives more then 20 condition damage, no?
    Because runes are essentially modular set bonuses. It's a pretty straight forward system.

You can't keep a good runedown.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 10:11 PM ----------

Because they stack. If you get 4, you get 30 power and 60 condition damage. If you have two from two different sets, you'd have 20 power and 40 condition damage.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

How can people not get this?
    Also a good area to look for info is the wiki
    wiki.guildwars2.com

Its a judgement call on what you want. Yes in some cases you could get more raw stats by useing the gems in all 6 slots instead of the 6 runes. In those cases its not really the raw stats the folks are after but whatever the special set bonus is. Some of the 6 piece set bonuses on some runs are quite powerful in the right situation and are worth slightly lower raw stats. Normaly theres something realy good on the 6 piece and ocasinaly something not as strong but not raw stats at around the 4 piece mark. the "Adds 5% of stat X to stat Y" can be particularly potent if your already stacking stat X and need stat Y

Other times runes give more concentrated stats than you could otherwise get. Magic find for example you get a total 50% MF from haveing 5 runes of the traveler where as gems only give 4% each or 20% for useing the same slots. There are even 3 different runesets that apply MF and you can combine 5 of one(for the 50% bonus) and still slap in a 10% from another set as the 1 piece bonus and still be well ahead of where you'd be with gems.

Who is John Galt?

The 6th rune set bonus is usually the clicher for me. Example: the Traveler 6-rune set (+magic find) gives you a "+5% movement speed" bonus. It's passive and always-on (when wearing the set). That's a big buff, when you're using the set to run around gathering mats and farming for drops. Stacked with my Ranger's signet speed buff (passive +25% speed) and castable speed buffs (short duration +33% speed), the 6-rune set is well worth it.

Raxel getting a full 6set bonus for MF is silly, you're better off breaking it down so you get several bonuses and thus more MF

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Raxel getting a full 6set bonus for MF is silly, you're better off breaking it down so you get several bonuses and thus more MF
    Yeah, you'll want to get 6 Pirate(with one in the breather) and 1 of Noble or that other rune. Something to note is that the breather will replace your helm, including stats, armor and rune.

For how to decide what runes you want, I'll usually fish around on weapons to try to find a common set effect between all of them, and try to combine sigils/runes to maximise something. Two main ways you can do this; you can go 6-rune, for a set which maximises damage output (I use Rune of the Undead for this, with Rabid gear; maximises Condition Damage and Toughness, which rolls back into Condition Damage), or you can go 2/2/2 to try to maximise a boon/condition (Mr Freeze is a necromancer build that ends up with something like +90% freeze duration. Flamethrower Engis will want to go 2/2/2 with +might runes, to allow themselves to receive continuous 25 might stacks).
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.