Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Unhappy meta gem market problems

on my server eu-Aucnindoun a single player has reduced the prices of all available meta gem prices to under 1k (less than the uncut), and he refuses to up the prices or even give reason to this. this is driving me crazy. at this point i don't care about the lost profit, but i only want to know what he gets from this :S
    i currently try to not let him sell the gems i can craft but still he posts very big quantities for 48h non the less.
    any clue what's happening here?

He obviously doesn't want anybody else to sell gems. He probably is afraid prices will go down with time and wants to make a lot money now by being the sole vendor to sell those things while everybody is needing them, thus chosing a price people just refuse to undercut.

You could argue he or she is botting, but I don't think thats a necessary prequisit to have this kind of mentality.

He's keeping it at such a low price to scare away all competition. When the competition leaves, he'll put the prices up and reap the profits alone.

Deleted
    welcome to a free market,
    He is obviously using his professions to make gold, or he could not continue.
    you have 2 options

1 - Buy out and relist him. although this is never ideal as you dont know his stock levels
    2 - under cut him. - nothing to stop him buying you out.

This is called the free market, people can sell at the price they choose. What you want to do is start a cabal and fix the price, which is as anti-free market as you can get.

well the thing is, i'm actually undercutting him always (for 1c) and although i'm still getting profit but it's cut in half because of him, also i think he actually managed to scare away all other competition. maybe i should keep my stacks until he feels safe to up the prices.

Deleted
    every server has one of these cunts. all we can do is deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by basel277 View Post
    well the thing is, i'm actually undercutting him always (for 1c) and although i'm still getting profit but it's cut in half because of him, also i think he actually managed to scare away all other competition. maybe i should keep my stacks until he feels safe to up the prices.
    It's basically a battle of attrition.

He lists at cheap prices. All competition runs away.
    He raises his prices. You undercut him.
    He returns to the cheap 'wall' price. You stop listing products.
    He raises prices again, you undercut again...

The cycle repeats until one of you gives up and moves on. The question is, who will that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    This is called the free market, people can sell at the price they choose. What you want to do is start a cabal and fix the price, which is as anti-free market as you can get.
    i don't want to force him to do anything, i know what a free market is. but what he did seems only irrational to me, that's all. since he should understand by now that i won't leave the competition, and he can get far more profits if he ups the price to 1.7k or something.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    It's basically a battle of attrition.

He lists at cheap prices. All competition runs away.
    He raises his prices. You undercut him.
    He returns to the cheap 'wall' price. You stop listing products.
    He raises prices again, you undercut again...

The cycle repeats until one of you gives up and moves on. The question is, who will that be?
    yeah i guess that's what's going to happen, although my stash of ore/gems is not so big, i'm thinking of trying to get hold of a better stock just to keep annoying him at the low price he intends to force upon everyone.

Deleted
    Ah, a buyer's market. I like it :P

Really though, I'd say buy him out if you think he hasn't got enough to floor your wallet. This isn't going to go away until you take the lead.

I like my meta gems cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by basel277 View Post
    i don't want to force him to do anything, i know what a free market is. but what he did seems only irrational to me, that's all. since he should understand by now that i won't leave the competition, and he can get far more profits if he ups the price to 1.7k or something.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 02:10 PM ----------

yeah i guess that's what's going to happen, although my stash of ore/gems is not so big, i'm thinking of trying to get hold of a better stock just to keep annoying him at the low price he intends to force upon everyone.
    He could be driving off competition as you've mentioned, or he probably realizes that he'd make more money in the same amount of time selling more metas for less than fewer metas for more. Don't know about you but if I'm making 1k per meta, selling only 10 metas, but could make 900g per meta and increase number of sold metas to 20, I'd sell at 900g. This is an extremely simplified example as it assumes high-unlimited supply but it illustrates the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this is happenening out Proudmoore-US too. Some jackass decided to undercut metas by 25% on a lot of them. Oh well I till have 60 in my bags and 6 gb tabs full of uncommon gems lol. I'm just chillin in the AH all day watchin movies undercuttin him by 1c every time someone undercuts me.

Lol FU both, i d rather level jewelcrafting from scratch and make my own gems rather than paying that gold

Yeah, this is happening on quite a few realms.

What I'm doing instead of buying out my competition, is just listing half my meta's and keeping the other half in stock.
    While I keep gathering the materials for more, this way when his stock is out, mine will take over

I'm glad there is someone who stands up against price fixing. What you are trying to make him agree to do is something that is considered illegal in the real world (in many countries at least).

Keep you stock listed just above his price. If you think the player is *actually* losing money, they will sell out and you'll sell, if only infrequently. The danger is that their cost basis isn't based on your assumptions. I routinely only farm a portion of the mats needed for a specific product. Other sellers go nuts complaining and claim i'm losing money... they are wrong. I'm giving my time instead, which has value, but that is based on my reasoning. YMMV

Deleted
    I think a lot of you dont understand the market at all.
    Agreed he can list how he likes and you deal with it.
    Kisho was spot on in their description as a war of attrition.

The thing is do you have the determination to win through?

Please make note of the following:

It is far easier to destroy a market than maintain a profitable one.
    Consider all things being equal as to whether your supply of gems is cheaper than his? You dont know where hes getting his gems from and not what his bottom price is.

Make some decisions of how you want to stick with him or go away and return when the market is more attractive? He can employ the strategy he wants. Tbh in 6 months time , then metagems wont be 1000g and that price will look very attractive. Undercut, evacuate, supress, bypass. you will win through if you put the effort in and can match his means of production.

Boo hoo, the free market isn't going my way!

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 01:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    2 - under cut him. - nothing to stop him buying you out.
    What difference does it makes who buys them if your (OP's) stock gets sold?

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    I think a lot of you dont understand the market at all.
    Agreed he can list how he likes and you deal with it.
    Kisho was spot on in their description as a war of attrition.

The thing is do you have the determination to win through?

Please make note of the following:

It is far easier to destroy a market than maintain a profitable one.
    Consider all things being equal as to whether your supply of gems is cheaper than his? You dont know where hes getting his gems from and not what his bottom price is.

Make some decisions of how you want to stick with him or go away and return when the market is more attractive? He can employ the strategy he wants. Tbh in 6 months time , then metagems wont be 1000g and that price will look very attractive. Undercut, evacuate, supress, bypass. you will win through if you put the effort in and can match his means of production.
    looks like i need to clear some stuff up, i know that he is trying to kill all competition (duh). but the reason why i said it's irrational what he is doing is because no one stopped listing, and it's been more than two weeks (he dropped the prices again for 100g a few days ago) but i'm still selling nonstop.
    my mats are much cheaper than the current price, and i can easily keep up with him. i just feel that some people are so arrogant in what they are doing, that they don't see that it's not possible to kill all competition and by selling for the higher price they will make much more profit.

OP, let me guess its Davshan or what the paladin's name was, the dude thats always online at Dwarf AH? (Yes I'm name calling here, feel free to infract me if you wanna :<)

That guy is a gut damn devil on Auchendioun (Even AH players from my guild hates him to:P). He's been doing these retarded undercutting on every gem w/e for sooo long. I joined Auchendioun inn January this year, and back then he was doing same thing aswell. Like he dosent just undercut by 20g, he hugely undercut and postes much of the same item, and he seems to have a wierd high supply of mats, so its hard to buy him out, witch is something I tried before little bit.

Basicly...F... him. We had a breef moment on Realm forum some months back, after I called him out on it, and quit many other AH players (Some that are much bigger AH players than myself) joined inn on the thread, and he acted like he always does...completely stupified.

If it aint that guy...well dunno then, high pop server
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2012-10-15 at 11:23 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO