Poll: Which way did you go?

Thread: Recruit a Monk?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Recruit a Monk?

So how many of you cheaped out and did recruit a friend to get to 90 in a few days or went the heirloom way?
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Deleted
    1-90 all the way took /played 3 days, 2 hours and 44 min - leveled tradeskills within this time and stood afk in Orgrimmar while having food breaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Took me 3 days doing it the hierloom way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does everyone care if you RaF'd or not? Is it a jealousy thing like watching a rich guy drive by in his Lamborgini?

Who cares if you RaF'd or not, I didn't want to spend all week leveling as we were raiding the following week, doesn't make me a bad monk, far from it.

I've ran into 1-90 monks that are just as terrible as RaF'ers.
    Last edited by Koohii; 2012-10-12 at 04:46 PM.

Startropic
    Simple Math - US-Andorhal
    Windwalker Monk

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol seriously...this poll would be more relevant about a week ago or so...now it's just old news.

There are plenty of posts on this including a complete Non-RAF only style thread in which we discuss various gear choices, leveling spots etc;

Quote Originally Posted by Koohii View Post
    Why does everyone care if you RaF'd or not? Is it a jealousy thing like watching a rich guy drive by in his Lamborgini?

Who cares if you RaF'd or not, I didn't want to spend all week leveling as we were raiding the following week, doesn't make me a bad monk, far from it.

I've ran into 1-90 monks that are just as terrible as RaF'ers.
    Cool your jets :P I think OP was merely curious (my take on it, anyway) as to how people attained a level 90 monk within the first week or two after release. I'm not sure why you took this as a personal attack (at least that's how I see your reaction, anyways).

I leveled up my druid first, but I heirloom'd out my MW monk the other day, and with maybe a couple hours played she's sitting at 33. I want to level her fast, but I'm enjoying leveling up mining/herbalism (again; go go multiple characters with gathering professions), as well as running dungeons in between questing. It's a lot of fun so far! I can't wait to get up to higher level content.

Signature by Shyama!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    So how many of you cheaped out and did recruit a friend to get to 90 in a few days or went the heirloom way?
    Cheaped out? You mean buying a 2nd account, installing/learning Hydra and a hotkey broadcaster, then leveling both accounts to 80+40+20 is cheaping out? If your somehow inferring that RAF Monk's are going to be bad's then you are welcome to site my complete lack of class knowledge as an example =P

That being said doing RAF was well worth it (since I bought everything when it was 1/2 price) was well worth it and was much faster than leveling 1-90 and a lot more fun chain running dungeons 1-80 then doing the boring old world quest grind.

Also, if anyone wants an account with a 80 priest and enabled up to WotlK I'm trading it for the gift of one month sub time only!

@Koohii: Very cool avatar where you find it?
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    Cheaped out? You mean buying a 2nd account, installing/learning Hydra and a hotkey broadcaster, then leveling both accounts to 80+40+20 is cheaping out? If your somehow inferring that RAF Monk's are going to be bad's then you are welcome to site my complete lack of class knowledge as an example =P

That being said doing RAF was well worth it (since I bought everything when it was 1/2 price) was well worth it and was much faster than leveling 1-90 and a lot more fun chain running dungeons 1-80 then doing the boring old world quest grind.

Also, if anyone wants an account with a 80 priest and enabled up to WotlK I'm trading it for the gift of one month sub time only!

@Koohii: Very cool avatar where you find it?
    Ya I was just curious, I think most people would have done it, but I didn't have anyone to give the other account to when I was done. I still think blizzard should have an XP boost you can buy from the Blizzard store. I am at 84, 3 days played so its not too bad.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Ya I was just curious, I think most people would have done it, but I didn't have anyone to give the other account to when I was done. I still think blizzard should have an XP boost you can buy from the Blizzard store. I am at 84, 3 days played so its not too bad.
    It still only cost me $15 for Classic/BC+Wotlk from the sale, the one month sub I got technically is a wash cause it gave my main account a free month anyways. I would clear about 15 levels per night, had my 80 in less than a week. Since I paid for MoP with my D3 monies I didn't really mind the expense.

Dual boxing was actually pretty fun. I would broadcast 1-4 to Priest and set up @Focus macro's and just minimized the window mostly. Then insta-queue'd through dungeons. Doubt I could do 1-80 normal every again...
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

I went 1-40 normal then 40-80 RAF. I feel like I got used to my class a lot more than if I had just gone straight there. Still A LOT of skills I wasn't familiar with but it wasn't too bad. Still got called every name in the book. Hell, I was called a hacker granting levels to myself in SW lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    SurrealNight - Found it on Deviantart, Should resize it though, its a tad small. :P
    Last edited by Koohii; 2012-10-12 at 07:14 PM.

Startropic
    Simple Math - US-Andorhal
    Windwalker Monk

Heirlooms. That and Enlightenment.

RAF cheapens the entire thing. Also, people mock the "learn by leveling" thing, but it was helpful for me to get new abilities one at a time rather than all at once. Had I played more in the beta, it may not have been necessary, but I did learn the pieces better this way.

My monk is 90. I don't think it matters even a little bit which way it was done. The idea that you can't pick up a class and play it is ludicrous. I assure you that I am not 100% competent on every single class regardless of having at least lvl 85 on all of them. However, I can use sites with guides or even the in game spell book to tell me what I need to do to get started. It is a game for 12 yrs old and up, not rocket science.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since it actually cost me money to do RAF, I wouldn't refer to it as 'cheaped out', but yes I did the dual box 2 months before the expansion to grant levels. To boot I am keeping the account long enough to get an extra mount out of the deal. Does that burn your britches even more?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    RAF cheapens the entire thing. Also, people mock the "learn by leveling" thing, but it was helpful for me to get new abilities one at a time rather than all at once. Had I played more in the beta, it may not have been necessary, but I did learn the pieces better this way.
    Really have to disagree with this. People that take the time and effort to RAF probably were also neurotic enough to do more prep than anyone leveling 1-90. Just a list of prep for my Monk from a "learning" standpoint. I never played beta.

1) Read all BrM guides on MMO, EJ threads, ect
    2) Created placeholder character and pre-set Elvui
    3) Set up Weak Aura's on placeholder (priority tracking, Stagger, Chi, ect)
    4) Pre-set any macro's I would need and planned out hotkeys.

So I logged into a pre-prepped UI, and had pre-farmed crafted/BoE blues so was probably even better geared than most 1-81 levelers.

Now I made a Panda so had to do 1-11 before I boosted to 81 but by day two I was tanking Cata dungeons and executing all of the BrM mechanics just fine. Considering you don't even get Purifying Brew until 75 what exactly are you learning 1-75? Suddenly after grinding out 75 levels you'll need to break the habit of NOT using PB where I was using it since day one.

I don't see any class having so many abilities and mechanics that you can't digest them all at once with a little effort and prep knowledge, but that's just my opinion.
    [/URL]

10+ Year Old Account
    Took me about 3.5 days going Heirlooms. This included leveling up tradeskills to 600 and doing a bit of PvP (as well as ganking and being ganked while leveling up).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

The RAF way takes more time. Instead of just leveling to 80, you get to level to 80, then 40, then 20.

Besides, it's not like you can't learn pretty much everything you need to know about a class in less than 20 minutes reading both the ingame tools and online sources.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The RAF way takes more time. Instead of just leveling to 80, you get to level to 80, then 40, then 20.
    If only there was something like triple experience gain during RaF right? Oh look at that... Also, it's 80+41+40 that you need to level.

Actually had massive fun during RaF as well. Did it with guildie, he loves playing tanks so I went with disc priest and him warrior and we zerged through just dungeons with instant queues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    If only there was something like triple experience gain during RaF right? Oh look at that... Also, it's 80+41+40 that you need to level.
    Panda's only needed 80/40/20 cause you HAVE to level to 11 through the starting zone. I think it probably took one day played total in hours to get all 3 sets of characters leveled. If it takes 3.5 days to go from 1-80 I don't think 24 + whatever 81-90 is was that bad of a deal.

Plus like you said it was actually fun and let me explode past BC which I totally hate leveling in. Come to think of it my 43 has one last level to give away (dinged like 4 times in one dungeon run...)
    [/URL]

10+ Year Old Account
    Using looms at 88 atm, Hunter came first.

80-85 really surprised me at how fast it was, I was 85 after 3 quests in Twilight and half of hyjal/deepholme.