Page 2 of 374 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    1.4.2 is out! I've got a few mods already set for those looking to get started with modding 1.4.2. Check the OP of this thread for download links and website links!

It seems that porting mods from 1.3.2 to 1.4.2 isn't a difficult job so many mods should be ported rather quickly. I'm still waiting for a number of mods to come out from 1.2.5 as well, hopefully, they'll all be released now that the next major release is finally out.

To get started, I have listed a stable Forge, Optifine, NEI and a handful of mods that have been updated. As more mods become available, that list will get longer. I'll also bee keeping an eye out for updates for already listed mods too so you'll always have the latest versions.

At this point, the 1.3.2 mods will probably not get any more updates, so don't expect things to change much there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some things missing:

Utilities like MCPatcher and Magic Launcher can make the process for installing mods considerably easier and offer additional launch options, like configuring the amount of memory allocated to Minecraft and launching in full screen or maximized windowed mode. MCPatcher patches Minecraft.jar for you, obviating the need to manually install mods, and reserves a copy of the .jar in case you need to revert back to an unmodified version. Magic Launcher launches mods organically without editing Minecraft.jar at all.

Also note that MCPatcher contains the "HD fixes," that allow use of animated texture packs and higher-definition texture packs, giving you an alternative to the OptiFine mod.

MCPatcher

Magic Launcher

Also note that not all mods are compatible with Forge. For those mods, you will almost certainly need ModLoader, and ModLoader must be loaded first. There's concern that ModLoader may not get updated for 1.4 with all the drama between its creator and the Forge cabal, but we had that concern about 1.3 as well. Until then, it's still the only answer for non-Forge mods.

ModLoader
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Some things missing:

Utilities like MCPatcher and Magic Launcher can make the process for installing mods considerably easier and offer additional launch options, like configuring the amount of memory allocated to Minecraft and launching in full screen or maximized windowed mode. MCPatcher patches Minecraft.jar for you, obviating the need to manually install mods, and reserves a copy of the .jar in case you need to revert back to an unmodified version. Magic Launcher launches mods organically without editing Minecraft.jar at all.
    Sure, there are lots of utilities to help you install and run mods. The purpose was to teach people how to do it on their own.

Also note that not all mods are compatible with Forge. For those mods, you will almost certainly need ModLoader, and ModLoader must be loaded first. There's concern that ModLoader may not get updated for 1.4 with all the drama between its creator and the Forge cabal, but we had that concern about 1.3 as well. Until then, it's still the only answer for non-Forge mods.
    True, but more and more mods are switching over to forge because of the massive improvements they've been making in the past few months. Also, Forge has Forge Modloader built in, so you don't need it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 09:33 PM ----------

Added Mystcraft v0.9.4.00 for 1.4.2
    Updated Optifine to v1.4.2_HD_U_A7
    Updated Railcraft to v6.7.0.0

Still waiting on lots of other mods. Stay tuned.

---------- Post added 2012-10-26 at 11:14 PM ----------

Added Inventory Tweaks v1.44
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-10-27 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Sure, there are lots of utilities to help you install and run mods. The purpose was to teach people how to do it on their own.
    Fair enough, but those tools deserve to be mentioned because they make the entire process painless and a lot more accessible for people (youngsters) that don't really understand the concept of editing archive files. Adding mods via MCPatcher and clicking "Patch game" is a lot simpler and more intuitive than editing minecraft.jar directly and makes troubleshooting a LOT easier.

True, but more and more mods are switching over to forge because of the massive improvements they've been making in the past few months. Also, Forge has Forge Modloader built in, so you don't need it.
    Again, fair enough, but it bears mention because not every mod uses Forge (a lot of the smaller mods and a few bigger ones don't) and it could result in confusion if you lead people to believe that Forge is how you use mods in Minecraft.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, but those tools deserve to be mentioned because they make the entire process painless and a lot more accessible for people (youngsters) that don't really understand the concept of editing archive files. Adding mods via MCPatcher and clicking "Patch game" is a lot simpler and more intuitive than editing minecraft.jar directly and makes troubleshooting a LOT easier.
    That's cool. I just don't use them so I can't write up a guide for how to use them if I don't know MultiMC is the only thing I've messed around with and I really just prefer to do things manually.

Again, fair enough, but it bears mention because not every mod uses Forge (a lot of the smaller mods and a few bigger ones don't) and it could result in confusion if you lead people to believe that Forge is how you use mods in Minecraft.
    That's true. I suppose I could do some edits to the OP explaining the situation between Forge and Non-Forge mods. I'll have to do that tomorrow since I'm too tired right now. When making the guide I wanted to show people how to install many of the popular mods that they've probably seen on youtube or wherever. There are hundreds of others sure, but tracking all that is a little more work than I'm willing to do. I'm hoping that if I give people access to the powerful tech mods that they can then go in and find their own mods to add to the collection. I use a few other mods that I don't list here but they're not as popular so they haven't been included.

Also, looking at the 1.4.2 compatible mod list on minecraftforums.net, the vast majority of the mods are Forge mods anyways. The mod community is going to end up gravitating towards one API eventually because mods that aren't using what the majority of other mods are using are going to find themselves not being used. You see this already happening with Forge and there are people fighting back.

For my money, it doesn't really matter which way the wind ends up blowing. If it's Forge or ModLoader or some other API as long as it settles on something so I can drop any mod I want into a folder and have it work, then I'm happy.

Anyways. For the thread, a few updates and additions for today in case they got missed in the last post:

Added Mystcraft v0.9.4.00 for 1.4.2
    Updated Optifine to v1.4.2_HD_U_A7
    Updated Railcraft to v6.7.0.0
    Added Inventory Tweaks v1.44

Testing out a beta version of Industrialcraft2 right now. Not adding anything just yet. Buildcraft should be built soon as well. Also, Equivalent Exchange 3 is getting an Alpha release sometime tomorrow evening. I'll post more information on that once I test it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    That's cool. I just don't use them so I can't write up a guide for how to use them if I don't know MultiMC is the only thing I've messed around with and I really just prefer to do things manually.
    It's fairly simple. I'll write up a brief bit on both if you'd like.

That's true. I suppose I could do some edits to the OP explaining the situation between Forge and Non-Forge mods. I'll have to do that tomorrow since I'm too tired right now. When making the guide I wanted to show people how to install many of the popular mods that they've probably seen on youtube or wherever. There are hundreds of others sure, but tracking all that is a little more work than I'm willing to do. I'm hoping that if I give people access to the powerful tech mods that they can then go in and find their own mods to add to the collection. I use a few other mods that I don't list here but they're not as popular so they haven't been included.

Also, looking at the 1.4.2 compatible mod list on minecraftforums.net, the vast majority of the mods are Forge mods anyways. The mod community is going to end up gravitating towards one API eventually because mods that aren't using what the majority of other mods are using are going to find themselves not being used. You see this already happening with Forge and there are people fighting back.
    Yeah. There's a real possibility Risugami won't update ModLoader for 1.4.2 after his snit with the Forge folks, and if that happens that means either people begin editing base classes on their own basis (which will mean non-Forge mods will basically become mutually exclusive) or make the move to Forge.

THANKS! very much appreciated!

15+ Year Old Account
    It's fairly simple. I'll write up a brief bit on both if you'd like.
    That would be cool!

Okay, Thread Updates!!

Things are moving pretty fast for mods in Minecraft 1.4.2. I don't have any updates just yet, but let me make some bullet points (everyone loves bullet points) about what you can expect in the next week or so.

• Equivalent Exchange 3 is coming out tonight! It will be an "alpha" version, but should be pretty much functional. I'll post a link once I've tested it out.
    • Industrialcraft 2 is being open-beta tested for 1.4. There are currently a number of bugs including compatibility issues with some of the other mods. Since it's only been out for 20 hours, I'm going to wait until there is something more stable before adding it too. If you're interested check the industrialcraft forums.
    • Buildcraft 3 1.4.2 port is ready but hasn't been compiled for the public yet. You can find an un-compiled version on the Buildcraft Development page on their website. If you don't know how to compile it, don't bother. A release should be coming soon.
    • Forestry has been ported successfully. No word on a download yet but it should be out soon.
    • Redpower2 is still up in the air. I assume the 1.4 port will be happening without a 1.3.2 release since so many mods are already leaving 1.3.2. behind. More news on this below.
    • Steve's Carts is also ready for 1.4.2.
    • Thaumcraft 3 is still being privatley tested. From what I've seen it looks fairly ready. We should be expecting a release of that soon too.
    • Smaller, add-on mods for things like IC2 and Buildcraft will probably be updated once the main mods are ready. Things like Logistics Pipes, Additional BC objects, MFFS, and compact solars should be getting releases too.
    • The FTB mod pack may get a launch for 1.4.2 sometime in the next 1-2 weeks. This is a strong indication that all the mods I've talked about will get their updates done and released along with it. Since it's unlikely that the FTB pack would launch without essential mods like RP2 or Buildcraft you can look forward to their releases soon hopefully.

Some of that list is speculation on my part based on videos, livestreams, tweets and reading forum posts. It's not meant to be taken as gospel. I thought it would be good to just post an update on what's happening and what to expect.

Look for Equivalent Exchange 3 sometime in the next 3-4 hours in the OP.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-10-27 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to the links and new mods!

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright, 3 new mods tonight. They're all in the early stages of development, but I thought I would add them for you so you can start playing with them.

IndustrialCraft 2 is in open beta. There may be bugs associated with it. Check the thread linked in the OP for information on it's progress. I'll be updating it as new working versions become available. If you've downloaded the mods I have listed already, you'll need to download the new config files I added to the bottom of the post as IC2 causes and itemID conflict with Enderstorage.

Steve's Carts 2 Alpha release is out. There may be bugs, i don't know yet. This only came out an hour ago and I haven't played with it.

Equivalent Exchange 3 Pre-Release 1 is out! Major changes from the EE2 version you may have played. There are currently only a few basic items implemented. Expect many updates to this as more features become available. It will be good to get started with things here though.

As I said, many new things coming out fast now. AFAIK the mods are all as up-to-date as possible. As I said, some of these mods are still in the testing phase and some are missing components that will be added in the future. I'll keep you all as up to date as possible with these releases.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 04:06 PM ----------

New this afternoon:

New Forge Version (Build 343)
    New Steve's Carts 2 Version (A7)
    Added Pre-Release for Forestry!
    Added Portalgun v1.4.2.0!

I also have a pre-release version of buildcraft but I haven't managed to get it to work yet.

---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 04:50 PM ----------

Here's a link to the pre-release build of Buildcraft that I found. I got it working but it took some messing around and a re-install. I also have to update you all on my config files. i'll do that later today.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46144650/bui...2.0pre10.1.jar

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, more updates for today! Lot's of stuff

Forge is updated to version 6.0.1.343
    Steve's Carts 2 has been updated to version 2.0.0_a9
    Added a Forestry Pre-Release version 1.6.0.0preA - Pre-Release version. Downloaded from Forestry IRC
    Added Portalgun v1.4.2.0. This version is a direct port from 1 1.3.2 version that doesn't have any new features.
    Added Buildcraft v3.2.0pre10.1. Still in a fairly early beta version. It might be further along than this build, I'm not sure. It does work though.
    Added CompactSolars v3.0.4.15. Public Beta version. Good to have this back
    Added Factorization v0.6.8_73. New mod. Haven't played with it before but I've heard and seen some great things.

New config files tomorrow. I still have to do some tweaking on my end.

Coming Soon, more updates for more mods. Also, Logistics Pipes looks like it's getting it's port to 1.4.2 today. I was looking at some of the builds on the Jenkins site and they were all fails. I'll post tomorrow if I find a good working copy for 1.4.2

Also, the NEI plugins for Forestry, IC2, Buildcraft and Railcraft are updated for 1.4.2. I have all but the forestry one installed since it was crashing my game. I'll post them all when they are all working well together, probably after the mods they're for get their official release. In the mean time, if you want to give them a try: http://adf.ly/947537/nei

I might pull down the 1.3.2 stuff tomorrow since almost everything is updated for 1.4.2. Save the links now if you still want them.

Stay tuned for more updates tomorrow and post what you would like to see added.

Hey Fuzzzie,

first of all, thanks for your hard work. The reason Minecraft is big as it is, is because of people like you making a rather inaccessible game more accessible. I would however urge you to familiarize yourself with Magic Launcher and include it in your guide. The reasons being:
    1. It provides a GUI. That does sound trivial, but it is always more accessible
    2. Mods are added from their zipped states and directly injected into the game from the Magic Launcher rather than gamefiles being manually changed.
    3. You can change the order of how it loads mods, basically allowing precise circumventing of bugs / incompabilities
    4. It is seemingly game version independent, as long as the way the .bin is loaded remains unchanged. This is a huge perk for maintaining your Minecraft installation
    4. It allows you to run Minecraft with parameters which is especially useful if your Minecraft runs out of memory since it is quite a hassle with Java.

Bottom line: I only run Optifine because I have the infamous LSoD and Zans minimap for fun and profit and thanks to Magic Launcher, it was a matter of literally 2 minutes. Experienced mod users like me (I ran IC2/BC and other stuff like that for a while) will do it manually in the same amount of time, but the more mods you have, the nastier it gets and the effort you need to put in rises proportionally with your number of mods.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Deleted
    hello again, I have a MC 1.4.2 with 22 mods installed , only problem is that when I add factorization mod , I get black screen after mojang screen came up.
    and you might want to check the link to portal gun mod --> doesn't work for me

tank you very much for this links

PS: you might want to add redpower , that's a great mod , also uses forge I think.
    Last edited by mmoc5880bfd37d; 2012-10-29 at 05:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flextt View Post
    first of all, thanks for your hard work. The reason Minecraft is big as it is, is because of people like you making a rather inaccessible game more accessible.
    Haha No need to thank me though. I just compiled a list. The true thanks should go to the mod authors for all their hard work. I will be adding the mod authors names to the list of mods today so they get the proper credit.

I would however urge you to familiarize yourself with Magic Launcher and include it in your guide.
    Yes. There are a few different launchers I want to cover for this guide as well. I'm currently focused on teaching people how to install these mods manually. Once I have more experience with launchers I'll add a proper demonstration.

Experienced mod users like me (I ran IC2/BC and other stuff like that for a while) will do it manually in the same amount of time, but the more mods you have, the nastier it gets and the effort you need to put in rises proportionally with your number of mods.
    This was more true in the past. Recently, the Forge team has taken steps to make mod installation easier. They've gone to the effort of collaborating on which itemID's conflict and solving that situation for us. Since it's fairly early in the 1.4.2 cycle some mods may still bug out, but it's usually an issue with having an older version of FML. Keeping your forge as up to date as possible will help avoid these conflicts and crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Articus1000 View Post
    hello again, I have a MC 1.4.2 with 22 mods installed , only problem is that when I add factorization mod , I get black screen after mojang screen came up.
    That's odd. Are you using the most up-to-date forge? Are you removing the META-INF folder from your minecraft.jar? Forge now adds it's own META-INF folder after you delete the original, make sure you're not deleting that one too.

and you might want to check the link to portal gun mod --> doesn't work for me
    Checked it just now and it's working. Once you get past the adf.ly link it takes you to a screen where you have to wait a few seconds for the download link to appear.

tank you very much for this links

PS: you might want to add redpower , that's a great mod , also uses forge I think.
    You're welcome. I will be adding redpower 2 to the list of mods once it's available for 1.4.2 Count on that!

---

Okay, now to get on to a few updates for today.

Advanced Machines 4.4 for IC2 has a beta out. Adds the rotary macerator, singularity compressor and centrifuge extractor for IC2
    Greg's Lighting 1.6 is a new addition. Adds floodlights to Minecraft that can be run with chemicals you create or IC2 power!
    Logistics Pipes 0.6.0pre1 has a working download for 1.4.2. I haven't actually tested the functionality of it yet. It doesn't crash the game so maybe give it a try. I'm sure a lot of people are looking forward to it
    Modular Force Field System (MFFS) v2.2.8.0.1 is being tested too. Works good for me so far.

I will also be going through the list of mods today and checking that they're all the latest version. Check the edit time at the bottom of the OP to see when I updated last. I will also add another post/append to this if anything major sticks out.

The config files are also updated!

I have also taken the steps to remove the 1.3.2 mod list. It's passed now and it's time to look forward.

I will also be possibly doing an installation tutorial video for all of these mods once stable release builds become available. Right now many of them are still in beta/pre-release so doing a proper install video would be premature.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 11:12 PM ----------

Updates for Industrialcraft 2 and CompactSolars have been added.

---------- Post added 2012-10-29 at 11:27 PM ----------

Updated Forge to 6.0.1.350

---------- Post added 2012-10-30 at 02:52 AM ----------

Updated Forestry to pre-release 5.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-10-30 at 06:53 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Updates!

Not a lot happening in the last day or so. A few updates to report.

Forge updated to build 535. More fixes and tweaks I imagine
    Factorization is updated. Small update, nothing major.
    Steve's Carts is updated to alpha version 13. Adds the ability to name carts and some bug/crash fixes.

That's about it. Going to do some more cleanup to the OP tomorrow including possibly adding a table for the mod list to make it a bit cleaner.

Deleted
    Config file link is not working dude.

Deleted
    yeah I deleted the meta-inf folder of forge it self (otherwise I wont be able to run my other mods, but I don't really want that mod ) and mystcraft gives me an error I'm not sure what's the problem is, it's not a block ID conflict (I think)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    Config file link is not working dude.
    Hmm. works fine for me. You have to wait 5 seconds before it downloads.

yeah I deleted the meta-inf folder of forge it self (otherwise I wont be able to run my other mods, but I don't really want that mod ) and mystcraft gives me an error I'm not sure what's the problem is, it's not a block ID conflict (I think)
    I left it in place. I think they're trying to patch it so you don't need to remove it or something.

If you post a log of the error I'll try to help. You can also check the Mystcraft forums for support here: http://binarymage.com/forum/index.ph...83f701bcdcb2d4

---

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 10:09 PM ----------

Updated the config files and uploaded them to a new site.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 10:28 PM ----------

Added NEI plugins section and plugins for Buildcraft, IC2, Forestry and Railcraft! A must download!
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2012-11-01 at 02:29 AM.

No mention of Magic Launcher, the best modding tool ever. I was always frustrated trying to get mods to work, and checking incompatibility by "is this crashing my game and screwing up my world saves? Yes, yes it is. Force update and start over...."

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...-options-news/

THIS godsend allows me to just open up magic launcher instead of the minecraft.exe icon on my screen, go to "setup"
    I click add, then select the mod from my downloads folder. If it says "ok", everything's good. If it doesn't, it's it'll say so and how to fix it.

So far this has worked on every mod that comes in a zip file, and if it doesn't, you make it a zip file, then it works. A thousand times easier than doing it all manually.

One notable thing is that certain mods have to be in a certain order in the setup menu. The only that I know of is modloader/forge has to be first on the list, and if you're using optifine, it needs to be last.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-11-01 at 07:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Nice guide with a nice compilation of mods. Keep it up.