Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    The K90 needs a revision where all the keys are mechanical. Corsair also needs to realize that the aluminium bezel needs to extend to the macro keys. That there's 18 of them isn't a big throwback unless size is of concern. TL;DR: It's far from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    The K90 needs a revision where all the keys are mechanical. Corsair also needs to realize that the aluminium bezel needs to extend to the macro keys. That there's 18 of them isn't a big throwback unless size is of concern. TL;DR: It's far from perfect.
    My dream keyboard would be K60 with full length palm rest, backlit and fully mechanical.

Too bad there's nothing like that available. Logitech's new G710+ comes really close besides the looks, but price is scary.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

About wrist wrest; Why not buy one separately? The added cost? It would give you more comfort and more flexibility in your choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    About wrist wrest; Why not buy one separately? The added cost? It would give you more comfort and more flexibility in your choosing.
    Added cost easily pushes it above slightly more expensive keyboard, but yes, been thinking about that too. K60 with extra wrist rest would be nice, but no backlight
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'm sorry guys, seems like I'm really late to the party. Does mechanical keyboard mean that you only have to press buttons slightly and they go in by themselves or do your taps just register before the button is all the way down?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    I'm sorry guys, seems like I'm really late to the party. Does mechanical keyboard mean that you only have to press buttons slightly and they go in by themselves or do your taps just register before the button is all the way down?
    It's the way you press down the key, yes. It's to not get that "swampy" feel of the common rubber-dome keyboards.
    This is a good read-up

It's the way you press down the key, yes. It's to not get that "swampy" feel of the common rubber-dome keyboards.
    This is a good read-up
    I've googled the same guide but I'll be honest I didn't quite understand how it acts.

It says - "you only need to apply as much force as is necessary to actuate it". I have that standard $10 Chicony keyboard here and the keys are very easy to press. More so, trying to press them with less force makes me uncomfortable and twitchy.

Deleted
    Well, when you press a rubber dome key you apply force to a membrane. After XN, that is X amount of force, the membrane will give in and fluctuate down to create a connection between two plates; sending a signal to the keyboard controller. As such, you get what tetris described as a "swampy" feel. Not only that but you actually need to bottom-out every stroke which can lead to finger fatigue. After typing a few paragraphs this becomes extremely apparent with a rubber dome keyboard.

The benefits of a mechanical switch is also that each switch is the same. With a rubber dome keyboard each membrane can be a bit different; mainly the thickness of the rubber, while mechanical switches are manufactured to, well, not greater precision but to be close to identical to each other. There's also the benefit of tactical feedback (may it be via a bump or a "clicky" sound or both), as well as never having to bottom out a key.

That's the jist of it anyway.

Really hard to explain without just using one.

I predicted Logitech would go this route when Razer put out a mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards are just more expensive period, there's no getting around it, but competition in the market is a huge plus and should help drive costs down.

Not a fan of how it looks, but at least it's not another $100 membrane keyboard...

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Well, when you press a rubber dome key you apply force to a membrane. After XN, that is X amount of force, the membrane will give in and fluctuate down to create a connection between two plates; sending a signal to the keyboard controller. As such, you get what tetris described as a "swampy" feel. Not only that but you actually need to bottom-out every stroke which can lead to finger fatigue. After typing a few paragraphs this becomes extremely apparent with a rubber dome keyboard.

The benefits of a mechanical switch is also that each switch is the same. With a rubber dome keyboard each membrane can be a bit different; mainly the thickness of the rubber, while mechanical switches are manufactured to, well, not greater precision but to be close to identical to each other. There's also the benefit of tactical feedback (may it be via a bump or a "clicky" sound or both), as well as never having to bottom out a key.

That's the jist of it anyway.
    So all keyboards are rubber dome except mechanical ones, right? I'm using this one

http://i.imgur.com/rtjeE.jpg

It's the best I have ever tried (never tried mechanical ones). I'm hesitant to pull out one button and check because it's old and I don't have a replacement right now. I do have to admit it feels rubbery after I've started paying attention but it doesn't bother me.

So is mechanical keyboard a substantial quality of life improvement or an expensive gimmick? For example for me touchscreen is a total gimmick outside of browsing internet on tablets. It will become something more in the future I'm sure of it, but right now if I have to write an email on a mobile I, as a clasically trained piano player, will prefer my qwerty phone over a fancy touchscreen phone any time and day of the week.

Who needs scroll lock? But in seriousness, there are also topre beyond mechanical. They are part-way.

Yes, mechanical keyboards is a thing that once you get used to, you don't want to not use it anymore. Switching to it might not be as obvious as when you've gotten used to it and try with other types of keyboards again, which you likely will shun. I don't think that most of the people happy with mechanical keyboards are suffering from buyer's justification.
    Is it a gimmick though? Depends on the person. I suggest going to a store and try out the mechanical keyboards they have for show and compare to the rubber-dome keyboards. Usually, these are all gaming keyboards, but the Razer Blackwidow has blue switches, wheras the Steelseries 6Gv2 for instance, has black ones. They can be seen as the two switches furthest apart.

And while this discussion is fun and off-topic, I don't think that anyone minds, given that it's still used for its purpose.

Who needs scroll lock? But in seriousness, there are also topre beyond mechanical. They are part-way.
    What's 'topre'?

Yes, mechanical keyboards is a thing that once you get used to, you don't want to not use it anymore. Switching to it might not be as obvious as when you've gotten used to it and try with other types of keyboards again, which you likely will shun. I don't think that most of the people happy with mechanical keyboards are suffering from buyer's justification.
    Is it a gimmick though? Depends on the person. I suggest going to a store and try out the mechanical keyboards they have for show and compare to the rubber-dome keyboards. Usually, these are all gaming keyboards, but the Razer Blackwidow has blue switches, wheras the Steelseries 6Gv2 for instance, has black ones. They can be seen as the two switches furthest apart.

And while this discussion is fun and off-topic, I don't think that anyone minds, given that it's still used for its purpose.
    I will have to try it out at least. They are a bit expensive, I'm not sure I'll convince myself to pay that kind of money for a keyboard considering I'm completely satisfied with my own. Then again, I am using my third Razer Deathadder and it's not exactly 5 buck mouse as well. You just have to feel it I guess.

Also, sorry for driving the thread off topic.

Deleted
    A topre is the little switch thing below the button on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    A topre is the little switch thing below the button on the keyboard.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    What's 'topre'?
    Topre is japanese manufacturer of mechanical keyboards and their own mechanical switches for the keyboards. They do not use the popular Cherry MX switches that comes in red/blue/black/brown/clear variety. The keyboards are sold under Topre Realforce brand, and come in many varieties.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Topre is japanese manufacturer of mechanical keyboards and their own mechanical switches for the keyboards. They do not use the popular Cherry MX switches that comes in red/blue/black/brown/clear variety. The keyboards are sold under Topre Realforce brand, and come in many varieties.
    Oh I see, thanks. Those are even more expensive I must say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No.

Guess I learned something new, always thought a topre was that key thing.

EU localized versions are finally available through Logitech webstore, and I put my order in earlier toady. This one will be my first mechanical keyboard since the late 80's, but been using Logitech keyboards for 15+ years and always happy with their quality. Recent problems with K90 including bricking it with updates and low availability here in Finland made the final decision.

Curiously purchasing the keyboard directly from Logitech webstore was actually 20-30€ cheaper than buying locally, and cost exactly the same as Corsair K90 would've been so the high-ish pricetag wasn't really an issue either.
    Trolling should be.

Can't wait to read your review!

I'm not exactly in the market for a new keyboard, but this one has peaked my interest. I've also been looking at the Ducky Shine II or an IBM Model M (old school!).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-11-30 at 08:22 PM.

Didn't you used to have a Steelseries 7G, vesseblah? Hm. I distinctly remembered something alike that.

And kudos for Logitech through that deal, I'll have to check it out. I'd have loved a macro-less and tenkeyless keyboard with browns, and one without the accents. But interesting none-the-less.