Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dynasty Warriors Thread

Just recently I finally got to buy Dynasty Warriors 7 and it sparked the old Dynasty Warriors (DW) fan inside me so I decided to make a thread about one of my favorite game series. If you're a fan of the DW games post anything you want about DW; favorite Kingdom (Wei, Wu, Shu etc.) or character, favorite DW game of the series or things that you love about the games and things that you hate about the games. Anything Dynasty Warriors related.

For my favorite kingdom I have to say it's Wei with my favorite character of all the kingdoms being Xiahou Dun who is an officer of Wei. Shu would be my 2nd favorite kingdom with Jiang Wei being my favorite character. Then Wu with Lu Meng being my favorite character. Of all the games I would say DW 3 is still my favorite and most memorable DW game out of all of them. I spent so much time trying to get the best weapon for all my favorite characters and maxing out their stats, was so fun. Even with playing DW 7, I could jump right back in DW 3 on the PS2 and still have fun with it.

Here's a list of the DW games I love most with the top being my most favorite:

-DW 3
    -DW 5
    -DW 7
    -DW 4
    -DW 2
    -DW 6 (I consider this to be the mistake of the series, was very disappointed with this one)
    I have never played the very first DW game which was a fighting game and not the open hack and slash it is today.

If there's one thing I absolutely love about ALL the games is the music. I friggin love the DW games' soundtrack. It's like a power metal style with a bit Chinese culture put into it, it's amazing. When I was a kid playing DW 3 I would just sit there for hours just listening to the music in the BGM.

So what about you? What's your favorite character in the games? Favorite kingdom? Maybe a favorite song from the games? Remember this is a thread where you can post anything Dynasty Warriors related whether it be pictures videos, your favorite soundtracks, anything.

Here's a picture of Xiahou Dun, my favorite character:

This is Xiahou Dun from DW 7
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-10-13 at 02:19 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Its LU BU
    use to play 3 and 4 to death with a mate still one of those memorable games
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

*looks at thread*

Retreat is an acceptable strategy!

*leaves*
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I loved this series, despite all the flack that it gets from every review snob. I would always play these with my father, ever since it went multiplayer (with #3). I even owned all the Xtreme Legends and the other expansion they added with #5 I think it was. Even went to the Japanese ones with Samurai Warriors #1 and 2, and the mash-up of DW + SW. And then we got #6... which was completely horrible. Everything about that game was just bad. Which is sad since I loved the previous ones.

I think my favorite one was #4, which (I believe) was the last one with Steve Blum as Sun Jian (the leader of Wu, I think I got the first name right). As for my fave? I always enjoyed playing Xu Huang with his giant poleaxe. Also liked Pang Tong and Zuo Ci. And my fave from SW was Sun Wukong.

But each time I play WoW, and I hear Lu Bu's voice actor, I always hear "It's Lu Bu!" in my head, said in the voice during the mission where you must assault the gates and try to get past Lu Bu, and that one nobody yells that line.

Deleted
    I still remember playing Dynasty Warriors 3 when i was younger and seeing the Lu Bu Appears message and thinking "oh crap i'm screwed" xD. Zhou Tai and Xing Cai being my favorite characters

Deleted
    DW2 was actually my favourite DW game, but I think thats mainly nostagia more than anything. Man, I remember those good old days, Xiahou Dun was my favoroute character also, I could cut down those yellow turban bastards for hours at a time and not get bored, good times <3

That feeling when you get 8000 kills on a stage in DW3 and realize you have single handedly slaughtered an entire enemy army.

NOOO! What have you done! Now I want to play it....

I played DW5 and DW5:Empires ALOT!

Now I have DW7. Problem is they don't sell DW7 Xtreme Legends in my country....

They sell DW NEXT though, but I can't play that (PS Vita).

I hope they sell DW7 Empires though.

Edit: Almost forgot to answer the OP's questions.

My favorite kingdom is Wu.

My favorite character is Zhou Yu.

I remember when I borrowed DW2 for like a week I used to play with Zhou Yu alot. Then I bought DW5 6 years later and I absolutely loved it.

I think DW5 has the best soundtrack but that's my opinion. Although my favorite song is EVE from DW4 and I allways used it in DW5:E when I went into battle against that last territory of a kingdom. The OST of the DW games is up there with Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and Kingdom Hearts for me.

The only thing I don't like about the recent games is the way they show the map. I think there was some "neatness" in the previous ones...
    Last edited by Xilurm; 2012-10-14 at 10:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to love DW (and SW too, for Nobunaga and Mitsuhide); I'd play 3 and 4 for hours on end. It was nice to have these three giant warring kingdoms without a straight "bad guy" beyond the newbie stages. Fond memories of my twelve-year-old self arguing other the ethics of Chang Ban...

Zhou Yu was my favourite too, which earned me no shortage of mockery since all of my friends loved Ma Chao and Dian Wei and the other super-warriors. x.x

Is 7 worth it? I heard 6 was pretty rubbish, but eh. Not kept up with the series.

My favourite one, mmm I think it has ti be Next but since it's on Vita not that many played. Appart from the dueling it has to be the best one for me. Dueling can be quite frustrating (in story mode anyways) when you are forced to use an officer you never had a weapon upgrade for and you duel someone who two shots you, at least there's a retry option. -.-'

Shangxiang is probably my favourite character, dunno why, probably because the chakrams she used were always increadibly fun, oh and she was deadly with a bow in 6 (?).

Last edited by Talorh; 2013-03-02 at 11:34 PM.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

One thing I remember in 3 (?) was the ability that every character could shoot a bow. I know in one of them, all the characters could shoot bows, which helped against those guys up in the towers. And I think #3 was the last one that had the japanese voice overs for the attacks, and the choice to hear the japanese voices during the cut scenes as well.

And @Zaelsino: 6 was rather horrible. I definitely regret ever purchasing that thing. I would love to try out #7, but I have a feeling it is only for the PS3, which I don't have. I just have a PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    One thing I remember in 3 (?) was the ability that every character could shoot a bow. I know in one of them, all the characters could shoot bows, which helped against those guys up in the towers. And I think #3 was the last one that had the japanese voice overs for the attacks, and the choice to hear the japanese voices during the cut scenes as well.

And @Zaelsino: 6 was rather horrible. I definitely regret ever purchasing that thing. I would love to try out #7, but I have a feeling it is only for the PS3, which I don't have. I just have a PS2.
    I can't talk about the attack sounds because I do not remember those, but I can guarantee that DW3 did not have Japanese voices during cut scenes. I don't even think DW2 had that.

Curious question: Is DW7 out on PC and translated to English by KOEI? o.O

i recently found the dynasty warriors 7 empire edit mode demo on the psn-store. I remembered enjoying a Dynasty Warriors game for ps2 when i was younger and i would like to get into the series again.

Of course i was disappointed when i found out that the demo was only fr the character edit mode and not for actual fighting gameplay xD

As there are quite a few games, i was wondering what game would be the best to get into the series again. (of course the new one, but i wanted to know about the older ones first as i will get them cheaper)

Is there an "empires" version for every number? in the difference always the same? What are the differences between "normal" and "empires"?

and oh yeah, i wanna get one for my ps3 if that's important.

Lu Bu's come to destroy us!

I absolutely loved DW4, it was probably my favorite. Zhuge Liang and Diao Chan were probably my favorite characters to play as. Favorite battles were definite Battle for Wu Zhang Plains or the Battle of Chi Bi.

Characters I couldn't stand playing were Da Qiao or Xiao Qiao. I loved Sun Shang Xiang when she had here fire/ice wheels, but I didn't like her when they gave her a bow. Bows just felt wierd to me. :O

Whoops: I saw this on the second page so I posted, didn't realize the topic was from a few months ago. o.o
    Last edited by Vanero; 2013-02-18 at 03:08 AM. Reason: whoops >.>
    /dance

Played quite a few of the DW games, also played most of the samurai warriors games. Absolutely loved Zhang Liao in all of the games except when he got 2 halberds instead of 1, didn't fit him at all. I loved the part where you get his 5th weapon in no. 5 I think it was and everyone was screaming that he's a demon and stuff. He's also quite the interesting character overall imo, equal to Lu Bu or at least very close to yet he chooses to abandon him and go with Cao Cao instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    DW is good but I liked SW series more especially 2. The characters had more "characters" and felt more different and varied than those of DW.

Guan Yu up in this bitch! I remember playing I think it was DW4 on the ps2 a long time ago, I loved it and have recently decided to get back into the series. Couldnt find the older ones so I started with 6 on ps3 and so far I'm loving it.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by dense View Post
    As there are quite a few games, i was wondering what game would be the best to get into the series again. (of course the new one, but i wanted to know about the older ones first as i will get them cheaper)

Is there an "empires" version for every number? in the difference always the same? What are the differences between "normal" and "empires"?

and oh yeah, i wanna get one for my ps3 if that's important.
    For getting into the series I'd say get DW7 or Warriors Orochi 3. DW7 is the newest DW, DW6 was a piece of shit that nobody liked so it's not worth getting for the cheapness factor. You could get DW5, which is PS2 era, it was a good one too. Warriors Orochi 3 is also newer, but it's an 'alternate universe' storyline that combines the cast of DW and SW (and some extras from other games); it's good just for the sheer cast size.

Normal DW games are primarily about the storyline for each empire, whereas Empires is more of a strategy mix where you just seek to rule all of the different countries in the land. There's no story to it, just randomizes events and stuff as you take and defend different pieces of land. Probably more replay value to it, but at the cost of any real character/context that you'd get with the mainline games.

I'm a big fan of pole arms so Shu all the way. Guan Yu and Zhang Fei are my favorite non Lu Bu characters (let's face it, everyone loves Lu Bu). I've played most of the Dynasty Warriors but I can just picture the execs at Koei laughing at us all for essentially buying the same game over and over again. It does seem like we got the most changes in 7 though where it went from Character stories to Kingdom stories and the all new Conquest Mode. I'm hoping 8 brings a lot more.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 03:52 PM ----------

Reading a little more about 8 and it seems that they're rewriting the story and even including "what if" scenarios. That's a relief
    Last edited by Dasffion; 2013-02-18 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wu in the house. I've played 1-6. I own 3-6. I hate 6. THEY GAVE MY ZHOU-KINS A STICK. I've not forgiven them for giving Zhou Yu a stick yet :< I *want* to play 7. I play Warriors Orochi 3 at a friends house, and have fallen in slaughtering love with Deng Ai. He also looks hot, badass, and he has a drilly lance. He wins.

I've spent hours upon hours playing Dynasty Warriors games and I still love 'em. I even went out and read the Three Kingdoms books, and other text just to learn more about the characters and such.

Which leads back to me being pissed about Zhou having a stick now, lol. He was known to be both a great musician (even when drunk, lol) and good at sword play.

I also have a hatred of Zhuge Liang (He's a dangerous man!) and most of Shu in general. They're too goody goody XD

I really miss the voice acting from 4, I feel like it was some of the best.

Last thing... they un scruffied Lu Meng :< I liked him looking like a brawler but being smart. In 7/orochi3 he's all like smooth shaven and some kinda Chinese James Bond. I mean, wtf.