Question help me to pick !

hey everyone.
    Im new to the guild wars 2 or guild wars series.
    I was playing WoW and decided to come and Test the guild wars as well as I heard that guild wars is a very awesome game and have no monthly fee.

well first I have few questions from you.

my first question is Im been told that there is a fee for each patch it comes and we have to pay to continue to play and buy that patch.

is that correct? if yes how often they release a patch? and how much I have to pay

second that I know nothing of the game realm systems. which realm is better to pick? I dont know if there is 2 main servers of EU or NA at all but ithere is, I think I have to play the EU .

so what is best realm in population and in winning the world vs world events ( I still know not much from them )

third of my questions is that which class is more fun to play? right now I decided to play the sylvari and picking the ranger. I saw some abilities of them and Im confused between ranger and thief.
    which is more fun to play? as I saw that thieves can go stealth and run away and such things like it and also the ranger has a pet that I personaly really like :P

last question I have is I have a bit problem in latency, well its not bad for playing WoW but sometimes I cant play the league of legends.
    which data transfer system does gw2 uses ?
    I mostly ask this because I saw on their forums that there is a bug (or problem or something else maybe it is ) that in the W v W v W fights some players cant see the enemies and they are like invisible.

I also right now play with a laptop ( my PC is getting repaired for its hard disc ) the laptop is core i5 intel and with radeon 1gb vga and has 4 GB rams.

my main pc is core i5 and 8 Gb of rams with nvidia( I sadly dont remember the model of it but It was 2gb if I wasnt wrong ) vga.

is this enough to play with a good enough graphic of game? I dont want to play with a bad graphic nor with a very high graphic , a good graphic is enough.

thank you ALL

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are some short answers:
    Don't do the "what class to pick" thread, it'll get closed. It just depends on your opinion, for example I like engineer quite a lot and somebody can say he dislikes it, way too subjective.
    There's no fee for Patches, you do have to pay for expansions.
    Henge of Denravi - Sea of sorrow seem to be on the top on the US (Jade quarry too), haven't got too much contact with EU sadly.

There is no fee for patches. There may however be 'expansions' which greatly increase the amount of content (each expansion in Guild Wars 1 was literally an entire game by itself) that you would have to purchase. Currently there is content being added all the time for free, and this content will soon include things like new zones, bosses, dungeons, etc. FREE. They update the game on a regular basis (every few days) and are working on the first major content patches right now. 'Expansions' probably won't come up for at least a year, they are freaking huge and often include entire continents (see Tyria, Cantha, and Elona in Guild Wars 1, each was a seperate expansion).

Best realms? Well if you want to have the highest score in WvW I think it's Henge of Denravi in the lead right now. But I'd advise you not to join based solely on that, because you'll never get into a game. You'd probably wait 5+ hours in queue just to get into a WvW match. Aim for the good, but lower population servers. The current rankings and matchups can be found here:
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...s-UPDATED-9-28

They are ALL fun. I have a level 80 Warrior (which is a good all-around starting class) and I'm currently levelling a Thief, Mesmer, Necromancer, and Guardian. I find all of them very interesting and unique. Try them all out and see which one you like best!

The latency/rendering issue in PvP you mentioned has been fixed. Earlier if you ran into a large group of players they would basically be invisible, which is a BAD thing when a lot of people are knocking on your door! Now you can see very clearly that you are about to get demolished by a zerg. As far as your PC, I'm sure you'll be able to play with no problems. If you have to just turn off a few of the more graphic-intensive settings (anti-aliasing, etc) for better performance.

Enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Here are some short answers:
    Don't do the "what class to pick" thread, it'll get closed. It just depends on your opinion, for example I like engineer quite a lot and somebody can say he dislikes it, way too subjective.
    There's no fee for Patches, you do have to pay for expansions.
    Henge of Denravi - Sea of sorrow seem to be on the top on the US (Jade quarry too), haven't got too much contact with EU sadly.
    well tnx
    I dont do what class to pick, I was wonder that which one has better options to killing and running away or getting out of ganks or such things.

and I read also somewhere that I can transfer my hero to other realms without any fee. is that correct? or the non-fee transfer has limits ( for example only 1 time use )

and if you give me info about the EU I become very tankful.

Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net...kings_9-28.JPG

tank me later

edit: also yes, server transfers are free (for now) and you can do them once per day. This may change in the future to require 'gems', which basically come from the cash shop or as rewards for certain events.

edit2: sounds like you want to play a hunter. very good class for staying alive and using pet + ranged weapons.
    Last edited by Artorias; 2012-10-13 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminaL View Post
    well tnx
    I dont do what class to pick, I was wonder that which one has better options to killing and running away or getting out of ganks or such things.

and I read also somewhere that I can transfer my hero to other realms without any fee. is that correct? or the non-fee transfer has limits ( for example only 1 time use )

The limit for the free transfer by now is just 1 day cooldown on it, before there was no cooldown. Once time pass it'll be paid on gems.
    Both classes are quite mobile, thief is top notch but ranger can manage it quite well with swords on his mobility.

my first question is Im been told that there is a fee for each patch it comes and we have to pay to continue to play and buy that patch.
    100% false. The game is buy once & play forever with no additional charges.

The rest of your questions should be directed at specific class threads, are answered in brief in the information sticky or best taken to the PC & Performance sticky.

Here's a link: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...scussion-Index

Lastly, "what server/race/class/blahblah" thread are not encouraged. Please do not make such threads in the future.

- Fencers