Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I d love to have more than one healer in our alt 10 mans that wants to purely heal. Usually they all fight over who is going to have to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathina View Post
    You should put down your foot and say either I am this or that, not both. If others can't play their spec then maybe those people should be scolded at for being crap. Being a hybrid class should not excuse people to play what they do not want to play.
    This is what I did when I was in a similar situation with my druid during Firelands. I would never know until 30 minutes before the raid what role I was going to play, and I was getting irritated. I finally told the raid leader "Okay, that's enough. I'm balance, I'm resto, or I'm feral. Make up your mind. I can't keep picking up the slack for <name>, <name> and <name>. Tell them to pick it up, bench and replace them, or let me know I need to find a new guild. Those are your options. I don't mean to sound like an uncooperative asshole, but enough is enough. I can't gear three specs at once and expect to stay caught up with the rest of the team."

After some initial protests they finally realized how insane their constant back and forth with me was. I was having to collect three separate sets of gear, which you can imagine was making me lag behind the rest of the team quite a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    This is what I did when I was in a similar situation with my druid during Firelands. I would never know until 30 minutes before the raid what role I was going to play, and I was getting irritated. I finally told the raid leader "Okay, that's enough. I'm balance, I'm resto, or I'm feral. Make up your mind. I can't keep picking up the slack for <name>, <name> and <name>. Tell them to pick it up, bench and replace them, or let me know I need to find a new guild. Those are your options. I don't mean to sound like an uncooperative asshole, but enough is enough. I can't gear three specs at once and expect to stay caught up with the rest of the team."

After some initial protests they finally realized how insane their constant back and forth with me was. I was having to collect three separate sets of gear, which you can imagine was making me lag behind the rest of the team quite a bit.
    ^.^ Finally someone giving a good story. That is what I meant totally.

New guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    So rogues, mages, hunters, and hunters get benched often?

So main tanks get benched often?

I shouldn't be PUNISHED because I am more capable of doing a 2nd spec than the other healers. You are saying that because I am capable of doing both specs but don't like doing them, I am selfish. Why isn't the monk who pulls less DPS than the 'main spec' dps or the healer who can't manage his cooldowns correctly being talked about at all?
    It's really obvious that you only care about yourself. If you dont want to help your guild you should quit raiding or find a new guild.

And yes, if hunters, warlock, mages or rogues cant do more dps than an offspec elemental shaman they get benched often. Simple as that. Main tanks dont get benched because they are MAIN tanks. They are best in the guild in their role and essential for success.

---------- Post added 2012-10-14 at 06:40 PM ----------

No one does my role better than me.

The problem is I do two roles better than others.
    That's your opinion. However you can check that quite easily. Tell your raid leader that you wont be playing dps. If you get kicked that means your healing is not essential for your guild and you were wrong. If you're not then you've just show how selfish you really are, so your raid leader knows that. Both cases aside, just gquit, this is too hard for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    So rogues, mages, hunters, and hunters get benched often?

So main tanks get benched often?
    Those are nonsequiturs, because you're not a pure class, nor are you a main healer.

Pures get benched all the time if the raid group needs another healer or tank.
    If you were a main healer, they wouldn't be making you switch to DPS.

I shouldn't be PUNISHED because I am more capable of doing a 2nd spec than the other healers. You are saying that because I am capable of doing both specs but don't like doing them, I am selfish. Why isn't the monk who pulls less DPS than the 'main spec' dps or the healer who can't manage his cooldowns correctly being talked about at all?
    You aren't being "punished". You're being given an opportunity to make things work out for your team. You're choosing to take offense that you might be asked to make any kind of sacrifice for your team's success. That's where the selfishness lies. There's a reason why "taking one for the team" is an idiom in English.

And I did mention your sub-par other healers in my first post, FWIW.

You have several options;

1> Change nothing. Remain unhappy, and keep posting to forums about it rather than doing anything to fix it.
    2> Tell your raid leader that you refuse to ever DPS ever and he can go screw himself if he doesn't like it. You'll possibly get benched or gkicked over this, but you're willing to accept that consequence.
    3> Tell your raid lead you don't want to DPS any more, and if they're going to keep asking, you'll leave. And then the very next time they ask you to DPS, drop group and /gquit.
    4> Just leave the guild and find a new one that wants a main healer.

There really aren't any other options out there. Options 2/3 might result in what you want, but also might result in you not raiding, or your raid group failing due to lack of DPS/heals, or you getting booted. There's consequences to any of these. You need to figure out which consequences you want to deal with.

The issue isn't with your raid group's needs, after all. The issue is that you hate DPSing. So it's on you to find a way to accomplish that, not on your raid group to bend over backwards to accommodate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Those are nonsequiturs, because you're not a pure class, nor are you a main healer.

Pures get benched all the time if the raid group needs another healer or tank.
    If you were a main healer, they wouldn't be making you switch to DPS.
    How does one become a "main healer." Both other heals were tried first. Doesn't mean that I'm the "main healer"? Your logic is fail.

They are not nonsequitors. There is no pure healing class. If there was, I'd be it.

I am not rogue, warlock, hunter, or mage. I am a RESTORATION SHAMAN. I am not Enhancement nor am I Elemental. I was promised a restoration spot. Saying I'm "selfish" because I focus on what I have fun with and what I'm best at instead of being forced in to a boring DPS spec that causes me to fall asleep during raids JUST BECAUSE I'M GOOD AT IT is one of most complete failures in logic I have ever seen in an adult.
    It's really obvious that you only care about yourself. If you dont want to help your guild you should quit raiding or find a new guild.

And yes, if hunters, warlock, mages or rogues cant do more dps than an offspec elemental shaman they get benched often. Simple as that. Main tanks dont get benched because they are MAIN tanks. They are best in the guild in their role and essential for success.
    The problem isn't my performance.

Or, rather, I guess it is. My performance is too good. I wouldn't be having this problem if I wasn't good at my specs.

Classes haven't gotten sat just because of their class (Except in super hardcore guilds) since Sunwell, when all mages were sat and guilds brought in warlocks instead who just spammed shadow bolts.

I am the best healer my guild has. Period. Let me heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does one become a "main healer." Both other heals were tried first. Doesn't mean that I'm the "main healer"? Your logic is fail.

They are not nonsequitors. There is no pure healing class. If there was, I'd be it.

I am not rogue, warlock, hunter, or mage. I am a RESTORATION SHAMAN. I am not Enhancement nor am I Elemental. I was promised a restoration spot. Saying I'm "selfish" because I focus on what I have fun with and what I'm best at instead of being forced in to a boring DPS spec that causes me to fall asleep during raids JUST BECAUSE I'M GOOD AT IT is one of most complete failures in logic I have ever seen in an adult.

Or, rather, I guess it is. My performance is too good. I wouldn't be having this problem if I wasn't good at my specs.

Classes haven't gotten sat just because of their class (Except in super hardcore guilds) since Sunwell, when all mages were sat and guilds brought in warlocks instead who just spammed shadow bolts.

Let them know that you only want to heal, make it COMPLETELY clear (without sounding like an ass) that you won't raid as DPS. Suggest that they recruit/bring other DPSes on fights they don't need extra healers for. Really, all possible solutions have been mentioned in this thread, and at this point you are just arguing your standpoint and motivation.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing =)
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Then make it completely clear that you think you are the best healer in your guild and want to focus on that. If your guild is willing to sacrifice for your pleasure then fine. If your guild doesnt agree and will be forced to find another one.

Problem is that you can dps and dont want to help your guild. You can only dictate your way if you are valuable enough, but remember that everyone can be replaced.

edit: I know what you feel because I've been constantly forced to heal when I was one of the top dps. My guild leader knew that I can heal very well because it's been my mainspec before. Sure, it's not the best feeling when you are playing not your favorite spec but I raided to have fun while killing bosses, and not for meters or pressing the buttons I like the most.

If you can do something but DONT want it's you being selfish. You need to find people who are fine with that to feel better.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2012-10-14 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

There's no pure tanking class either. The only thing a "main" tank of healer is, is the core player(s) of that role in your group, who won't be swapping specs because they're the "main tank/healers" of your group.

If you're swapping between heals and DPS, you're not a main healer. Just like a guy swapping between tank and DPS depending on whether it's a 1 or 2 tank fight isn't the "main tank".

It's selfish to only be concerned with your own enjoyment in a team-based game, period.

If you're not happy in your current guild, leave your guild. The only person keeping you in the situation you're in is you.

Also, it's pretty clear from your own description that your guild considers you "A resto shaman with an ele off spec", not "a restoration shaman". Again; if you don't like that, change it. The only one responsible for the current state of things is you. Take ownership of your own choices.

Deleted
    Also, it's pretty clear from your own description that your guild considers you "A resto shaman with an ele off spec", not "a restoration shaman".
    Pretty much this statement says it all, you may see yourself as only a healer but your raid doesn't seem too. You need to correct that if its not what you want.

Ah this is why I love the people in my guild. " ok guys we need a healer, hey X can you heal? "

" I don't really like doing it"

" ok looking for someone to heal "

OP wanting to play what you enjoy is not your fault. You may have a tough decision to make, but there are guilds that exist that don't shove things down peoples throats that they don't want to do just because " its good for the guild". Our guild has existed since Vanilla, and that has happened because people come in and won't leave because they enjoy themselves simply because we understand that you, not the guild, is paying to play the game.

Simply put, I would basically tell them I'm done DPSing and I'm only going to stick to healing for a while, unless of course they want to pick up the cost of the expansion and my 15 bucks a month, then I'd be glad to DPS.

i went hunter for this xpack, for 1 reason.
    i just want an easy dps spot.
    turn my head to the tv and spam some buttons. and my GTFO addon wil warn me if i stand in shit.

really tired of tanking. (had fun with it during tbc tho) not really tired of healing, but ppl always blame the healer even if they stood in the fire. that i hate.

i just now shut up and do some dps. easy peasy.

o ye blizz ruined shaman for me. i always liked my totems.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Undefetter View Post
    Pretty much this statement says it all, you may see yourself as only a healer but your raid doesn't seem too. You need to correct that if its not what you want.
    And that's the problem - I made it explicitly clear after clearing dragon soul. Coming in to the expansion, I am a PURE HEALER. Period. They made plans for it too - the druid AND the monk were supposed to be competent in their offspecs (and they were volunteering too - they like other specs).

They just sucked at it.

It's clear that your ego is too massive to see the good advice everyone here is giving you. If you're really as great a healer as you think you are, your guild wouldn't be asking you to switch to DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by ShitShyShoes View Post
    It's clear that your ego is too massive to see the good advice everyone here is giving you. If you're really as great a healer as you think you are, your guild wouldn't be asking you to switch to DPS.
    Or....the other healers are competent at their spec enough to kill bosses as healers but not as a dps and therefor I get switched to DPS because I can do it as both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or....the other healers are competent at their spec enough to kill bosses as healers but not as a dps and therefor I get switched to DPS because I can do it as both.
    What you're saying is that you can either;
    1> Raid with your guild as Resto and fail to get kills because the other healers can't DPS properly,
    2> Raid with your guild but swap to Elemental like you don't want to but get bosses down, or
    3> Fire your current two healers and recruit two new healers who can actually DPS too, or
    4> Don't raid with your current guild. Find a new one.

We've been saying the same thing. You seem to want an option 5;
    5> Raid with your guild as Resto and have the other healers get magically better at DPS without you having to do anything to deal with the issue yourself.

Option 5 is a fiction and doesn't exist. You have to stick to options 1-4. None of them are without consequences, but that's life; there are always consequences to your choices. You've said you can't accept Option 2, and Option 1 isn't acceptable either, so you're down to booting the other healers and recruiting someone who'll do the spec swapping you don't want to and who can do so as well as you can, or finding a new guild that wants a main healer. Or deciding you can accept #1 or 2 after all.

It's selfish to only be concerned with your own enjoyment in a team-based game, period.
    In this situation, wouldn't everyone who didn't reroll, relevel, and regear a hybrid class to match this requirement also be considered selfish? Why should someone have the sole burden just because of the class they chose? Anyone else can play that class or any other class that is hybrid. It's not selfish to have a playstyle you're good at and stick with it.

What's selfish is other people refusing to put in work and requiring more of those who are able and willing.
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    when I go to the carnival and drop 5 bucks on a -game- I don't bitch when I don't win the stuffed bear

As your raid leader, there is no reason I'd put anyone else but you as DPS, because you're the highest. Period.

If there's anyone to blame, it's the other healers that fail at DPS, not the leader. He's just doing what is best for the progression of the raid.

Finally, your case is very weird :P. In my guild, me and the other healers fight over the DPS spot on the 2-heal fights (we 3-heal the first two, for some reason) ALL the time. I end up getting it 90% of the time though because I got lucky and got both of my 489 weapons for enhance on the first week ^_^.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Dear OP,

As you've stated multiple times, you don't enjoy playing a DPS-spec despite the fact that this is in the best interest of your guild. This of course, is fine. Now instead of complaining about the fact that you're not willing I suggest you think towards a solution. As you've stated, the other healers can't go DPS as they're not good enough at that particular role. Meaning you will have to for the sake of the guild.

Now a lot of people say, put your foot down and tell them you're only going to play healer. I'm not exactly aware of how serious your guild is, but I can tell you that this will most likely not have a positive result for you. Either the whole guild suffers in a way (not being able to kill bosses due to lack of dps or not being able to raid at all due to lack of dps, etc), you will get replaced or (not very likely, but possible) one of the other healers improves the his/her dps. Also, keep in mind that as a shaman you have the ability to play ranged dps which paladins and monks can't. The point being that ranged dps is usually favored over melee!

Now, what I suggest you do is to ask your raid leader in a nice way that, because you don't enjoy playing a dps spec he recruits an additional dps so you can play full-time healer. Please bear in mind though, that due to this roster change this will mean that you have to share your raidspot with the other healers and might be benched more often. Also note that (even if your raids dps sucks this bad and could do with a better player), dps players will have to share a spot. Meaning your raidleader might refuse your request as it means gearing up more people and benching more people which is an unwanted situation generally.

However, I would put your foot down when it comes down to gear. You're main spec healer, off spec dps. So in order to stay competitive on the healing side you will need to get 4p, etc. Or a situation will happen like you described that happened during DS which is unwanted for all parties. Therefore prioritising gear for your main spec over gear for your off spec is definitly the way to go.

To end, did the person who recruited you for the raid team asked you when he recruited you if you'd be okay playing dps from time to time? As that would've been the way to go in my opinion.