Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    When he said this I figured he wanted to DPS. Whackamole doesn't really imply healing, sorry.
    You've never healed, have you?

Whack-a-mole. Something pops up, you smack it.
    Healing. Something goes down, you click it.

Whack-a-mole has been used to describe healing since vanilla, lol. I don't know if it has origins in EQ like things like DKP.

I've never healed that's funny. It's not actually the same concept because I don't actually smash the hammer down on a low health bar.

Edit - I was just mentioning I had never heard of it and I apologized for my ignorance in the previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I've never healed that's funny. It's not actually the same concept because I don't actually smash the hammer down on a low health bar.

Edit - I was just mentioning I had never heard of it and I apologized for my ignorance in the previous post.
    My post came off more snarky than intended. My bad!

Either you care more about yourself or you care more about your guild.

If you care more about yourself, best thing to do is gquit and find a new guild where you can heal full time.

If you care more about your guild, you will do whatever is best for the guild, which sounds like both healing and dpsing, and quit caring so much about your numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild that tries to force me (or anyone) into a role that I don't want to do, is a guild that I won't stay in for long. I play for my own amusement, thank you. I play Elemental and that's that.
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-10-14 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Indeed. As a paladin who'd only tanked since i started playing in TBC (as i had no interest in healing or DPS), i was asked to get a ret offspec during Cata. My offspec was Prot PVP, but i switched it for the sake of the guild. I expected they wanted me to tank for the first few nights while i got gear drops, but nope. Someone of a slightly higher rank than me (sorta like member+ while i was just member) told me i'd be DPSing that night, despite not having any ret gear.

I pretty much put my foot down/spit the dummy/flipped some tables/pretended i was an ape and threw some shit, and said that if it was gonna be a case of not even giving me a chance to get geared for something i absolutely didn't want to do anyway, i'd simply resign from raiding completely. I actually started swearing at the person who'd asked me to "DPS in tank gear" because of the way they acted. It ended up settling on them backing off and just letting me tank. It didn't stop me resigning from raiding a few months later, but that was a completely unrelated event. I mean, i could understand that they needed a melee DPS offspec for the sake of progress, but they didn't seem to understand that i didn't want to DPS anyway, but more importantly, expected me to DPS in my tank gear (failing to realize the inherently massive requirements between playing prot with 1h and shield, and expecting a 1h and shield to work for ret).

Put your foot down. Tell them that it's one or the other, or you'll simply resign from raiding or find another guild. They'll soon back off with their incessant requests. Asking someone to constantly be in limbo with their gear and spec is a sure fire way to lose them from your roster and your guild. It's not fair on them, and after all, it's them/you that's paying to play the game. They want you to play a way you're not comfortable with and that's simply unfair.

Nowadays, i simply play alts, solo old content on said Paladin, and enjoy my time in game. I recently started making gold, but after making 85K in the first few weeks of the expansion, and getting a Crimson Deathcharger for 20K from another realm (realm transferred and alt with the gold, and now it's available on all my chars, which is fantastic as it's the only land mount i've ever truly wanted). I've got enough gold to settle for 3-4 expansions now, but main point is i don't raid any more. I play how i want these days, and while i tried to be flexible as a raider, i have my limits. They tried to go too far, and they ended up leaving with absolutely nothing changed from me.
    Im actually going to remember that. Ive been in situations like that. Very few times I've put my foot down and said no or not tonight. My last guild had me bouncing between tank and heals. Being a Druid and having 4 specs is a lot to ask for if they want me to bounce between different specs. Not to mention paying for talent changes. But I'm going to remember what you said. I wanna tank damnit and thats it lol.

Deleted
    Well wow i missread that, if you want to heal then heal and tell your witty dps to suck it up

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I have to add is to advise you to step back and decide what's the most important thing: Serving the interests of your guild or playing the way you wish to play. Once you have that clear in your mind, you will know what to do.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    really, if it's such a big deal to you, quit your guild. I would personally never recruit anyone that does not play whatever I tell them to play. Based on what you wrote, it is clear that your loyalties do not lie in your guild's well being.
    I think that evens out because I think most people would never join a guild that expects them to play a spec that they don't enjoy at all. I enjoy playing all the specs of my class, but if I didn't and my guild insisted that I play the one I didn't like I'd refuse. Guild progression is great and all, but I don't pay $15/mo to not enjoy my experience.

It's amazing how many people make it sound selfish that I'd like to play the spec I am best at and the spec that I have the most fun in - IN A VIDEO GAME.

A team doesn't have the quarterback play a lineman just because he CAN. A raid team shouldn't make a great healer go play dps just because he CAN.

If there was a "pure" healing class - I WOULD BE IT. It's what I have the most fun doing.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    It's amazing how many people make it sound selfish that I'd like to play the spec I am best at and the spec that I have the most fun in - IN A VIDEO GAME.

A team doesn't have the quarterback play a lineman just because he CAN. A raid team shouldn't make a great healer go play dps just because he CAN.

If there was a "pure" healing class - I WOULD BE IT. It's what I have the most fun doing.
    I do kind of understand where they're coming from. They're playing WoW on a hardcore level and haven't taken a step back and looked at it in awhile. I used to be that way. I used to be in a very successful raiding guild, realm firsts left and right, etc. All serious business all the time (I was young then.) ... and then I took 7 months off and it hit me just how silly all that stuff is. Play games for fun, not as a second job. If you enjoy healing and don't enjoy DPSing, then just tell your guild that you're only going to heal. If they don't like it they can replace you, if they replace you it won't be terribly difficult for you to find another guild.

I don't get these people that think knowing what you want, and what you're good at, and trying to play to those strengths and desires is somehow not helping out your guild. I actually have a bit of a problem with people that come to me and say "What do you want me to play?" My response is always to play what they're best at and we'll work around that. These people are almost always a little confused, like having a choice in the matter is a foreign concept or something.

Tell your guild you're a stronger healer than you are a dps, and that you don't enjoy playing as a dps. They'll accommodate you and have a stronger team for it as well as a loyal healer, or you'll go find a guild that would be glad to have you.

Now keep in mind that everything I just said goes completely out the window if you're a far better dps than you are a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post

If we're talking professional leagues, no. But those professional leagues will swap someone out for a backup if need be; they adjust the roster based on the needs of the team.

If we're talking friendly local leagues, if your team needs a lineman and there's two people who can play quarterback, one of you is going to be the lineman today. Or you're going to come off as being petulant.

It's a video game, but it's a social, multiplayer, cooperative video game. So demanding that you get to play your way at the cost of the team's enjoyment is what makes it selfish. It doesn't really matter what kind of social environment you put that attitude in.

If you really don't want to DPS, find a guild that needs a healer 100% of the time. If you're not willing to leave your guild, then you need to accept the consequences of your own choice, not complain about them. There is literally nothing holding you in that situation except yourself.

I just pretended to be really bad at healing and tanking in my old guild. Gotta never let 'em see you do the things you don't want to do, or else they might get wise. Kinda backfired when my guild needed tanks and healers and I was all like, guys I'll do it, and they were like LOL NO. Didn't even give me a chance. Oh well.

My guild now is too bad and casual to have spec requests, restraints, and requirements, so I don't mind tanking every once in awhile, but I just keep my tank kit badly optimized so I can say "Oh I haven't worked on my tank kit in awhile, guys!" Or, like, I went feral DPS, or something.
    Last edited by Pascal; 2012-10-14 at 06:26 PM.

I dont know your situation but it's either you have dps numbers to supply you playing only one spec and benching you for those people (that's how it works) or you dont have people you need to fine tune the raid setup for specific boss so you are being extremely selfish to stop your guild progression for your fun/numbers. So in the first case your guild leader is being a lazy ass or you are being a selfish ass. Guess you already have the answer you are looking for. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I dont know your situation but it's either you have dps numbers to supply you playing only one spec and benching you for those people (that's how it works) or you dont have people you need to fine tune the raid setup for specific boss so you are being extremely selfish to stop your guild progression for your fun/numbers. So in the first case your guild leader is being a lazy ass or you are being a selfish ass. Guess you already have the answer you are looking for. Good luck.
    It is selfish to want to play the specc that you want to play?

Some people really do think this game is a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It is selfish to want to play the specc that you want to play?

Some people really do think this game is a job.
    It is because there is a price. If you want to play only one spec your guild has to recruit more people. Not to mention that you probably wont like being benched often.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2012-10-14 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every fight can be two healed (assuming 10M) so that's not a valid argument. The only person that we require to have a dps offspec is one of the tanks, for fights where only 1 is required. We gear our Guardian with a moonkin offspec since we have no-one to wear int leather.

It's not to much to ask to play the spec that you want to, you just can't get butthurt when you don't get a spot on the roster because someone out there is better at it/fills the roll better than you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If you hate it, find a new guild?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It is because there is a price. If you want to play only one spec your guild has to recruit more people. Not to mention that you probably wont like being benched often.
    So rogues, mages, hunters, and hunters get benched often?

So main tanks get benched often?

I shouldn't be PUNISHED because I am more capable of doing a 2nd spec than the other healers. You are saying that because I am capable of doing both specs but don't like doing them, I am selfish. Why isn't the monk who pulls less DPS than the 'main spec' dps or the healer who can't manage his cooldowns correctly being talked about at all?

---------- Post added 2012-10-14 at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    Every fight can be two healed (assuming 10M) so that's not a valid argument. The only person that we require to have a dps offspec is one of the tanks, for fights where only 1 is required. We gear our Guardian with a moonkin offspec since we have no-one to wear int leather.

It's not to much to ask to play the spec that you want to, you just can't get butthurt when you don't get a spot on the roster because someone out there is better at it/fills the roll better than you do.
    No one does my role better than me.

The problem is I do two roles better than others.