Ghost Iron Dragonling - yay or nay? (ele sham)

Hi guys, I'm leveling my 88 ele shaman. Was toying around with askmrrobot, and for Pre-raid gear, it's suggesting GID as one of the possible trinkets. It's obviously not top of the line, but it'll good to get in heroics with at least.

2 questions:

1) Is it correct? Is GID's 1800 secondary stats worth it? (I currently sport Foul Gift of Demon Lord (378 from HOT heroics) and Zen Alchemist's Trinket. Is GID > Foul Gift?)

2) Ask Mr Robot suggests I use Hit + Exp + Spirit cogwheels. Why? Should I not use something like Spirit + Mastery + Haste? I am theorizing that its due to these 3 being the cheapest cogwheels. OR, that reforging my other items to hit/spirit/exp might be a waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the trinket beats foul gift.

You want hit + exp + spirit as they all convert to hit for you and until hit cap hit is the best secondary stat.

1: Anything trumps a 378 from Cata.... that ends discussion right there.
    2: Hit + Exp + Spirit = +1800 rating to your hit chance. That is a HUGE deal. To further explain.... Hit is self-explanatory, all hybrid casters can convert Spirit to Hit passively, and Expertise converts to Spell Hit, thanks to hybrid DPS (Ret Paladins and Enhance Shamans) who need 7.5% Hit/7.5% Exp AND 15% Spell Hit to cover things up. So Expertise = Hit = Spirit, as far as value goes.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Deleted
    That trinket is a good way to enjoy the first days of being lvl 90 and the ilevel it gives.
    Ofc you should go with trinkets that drop from the heroic, because the gear will give you the stats you require.
    I used it for Restoration, gave me nice spirit, crit and haste, till I got gear and got the two best trinkets from heroic, now I am using it for my questing spec.

And who doesn't love a cute little whelp?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ghost Iron Dragonling is a great introductory trinket, to pretty much everyone BUT engineers. Engineer cogwheels have the same kind of limitation that JC gems have, 3 per character, and since the Ghost Iron Dragonling uses 3, it means when you craft your goggles you'll have to choose between the two.

As an ele shaman, you are in the same boat as bears and some other classes - you can afford 5 cogwheels.
    Hit/Exp/Spi in your dragon and Mastery/Haste in your goggles and you're on your way to providing some great dps for 10 seconds (or versus 3 mobs dying together) until shaman scaling kicks in and you're dead last heh.

As a bear I got away with wearing hit/exp/dodge/mastery/crit goggle/trinket combo, if i didnt get a darkmoon card to pair with my alchemy trinket I might still be using it now for heroic msv.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Ghost Iron Dragonling is a great introductory trinket, to pretty much everyone BUT engineers. Engineer cogwheels have the same kind of limitation that JC gems have, 3 per character, and since the Ghost Iron Dragonling uses 3, it means when you craft your goggles you'll have to choose between the two.
    That's not true is it? http://www.wowdb.com/spells/131215-rigid-tinkers-gear Doesn't say anything to that effect. There should have been a (3) in that tooltip after Unique equipped otherwise. Like in these http://www.wowdb.com/items/83144-rigid-serpents-eye

I thought the problem was that the cogwheels are Unique-equipped, so you can use only 1 of each, meaning that if you use the good ones in your helm (which will last for a bit at least) you end up using lesser stat versions in your trinket, devaluing it compared to other classes that can stack the thing with their best stat.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2012-10-15 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Ghost Iron Dragonling is a great introductory trinket, to pretty much everyone BUT engineers.
    Not just an introductory trinket, especially for classes like pally tanks. We need hit and expertise cap first but tank gear is pretty low on these stats and dps gear is loaded with crit (worthless) so this beats out most of the heroic trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    That's not true is it? http://www.wowdb.com/spells/131215-rigid-tinkers-gear Doesn't say anything to that effect. There should have been a (3) in that tooltip after Unique equipped otherwise. Like in these http://www.wowdb.com/items/83144-rigid-serpents-eye

I thought the problem was that the cogwheels are Unique-equipped, so you can use only 1 of each, meaning that if you use the good ones in your helm (which will last for a bit at least) you end up using lesser stat versions in your trinket, devaluing it compared to other classes that can stack the thing with their best stat.
    On further thought, that's correct; you could use all 5 Cogwheels, but they'd have to be 5 different stats. And since they're all secondary stats, that's awkward; you could do Expertise/Hit/Spirit/Mastery/Haste, but you can't get rid of more than 2 of the +hit cogwheels; the first can be substituted for Crit, but then you're left with +parry and +dodge.

It's still an easier trinket to use for non-engineers than it is for engineers, for this reason. At least, for non-tanks; tanks use a wider variety of stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    Not just an introductory trinket, especially for classes like pally tanks. We need hit and expertise cap first but tank gear is pretty low on these stats and dps gear is loaded with crit (worthless) so this beats out most of the heroic trinkets.
    You may have noticed that the title refers to Elemental Shaman specifically, and that we're in the Shaman subforum.

For us, it's a strong introductory trinket, but you'll be replacing it with raid trinkets.