10+ Year Old Account

Gold and Professions

Hey guys,

First time posting in the professions forum as I am pretty new to the economical side of WoW. To be straight forward, I'm looking for a decent/consistent way to make some gold. My monk is 90 with no professions, and I'm looking for a bit of direction at the moment. I've been debating herb/mining, or maybe herb/alch, but as I mentioned I'm new to all of this, and don't really have prior profession experience/knowledge to go off of to influence a certain route. I'm not looking for a "play the auction house" reply, but rather specific advice of what is hot right now, and which professions might have better gold making perks than others. For example, darkmoon "season" is over, so that may not be a wise choice to level 1-600. Or if I went the alch route, do you specialize in xmutes or flasks? Any advice for my two profession slots would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!

If you raid, I'd say alchemy would be good. Any gathering profession with the corresponding craft is guaranteed money if you farm. I wouldn't reccomend leveling mining because its a pain right now with cross realm zones. I'd say herb / alch for xmutes

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mirix View Post
    If you raid, I'd say alchemy would be good. Any gathering profession with the corresponding craft is guaranteed money if you farm. I wouldn't reccomend leveling mining because its a pain right now with cross realm zones. I'd say herb / alch for xmutes
    I agree completely with this, especially with the demand for the living steel cd. If you can level it fast enough you can definately make plenty of money selling the cd, making flasks, and even selling herbs to the inscriptionists who are making dark moon cards everyday. Whatever you do make sure to start it asap so you can still jump in the market before it dies down.

Jewelcrafting: This is what most of my 5k --> 100k since release of xpac has been from. Just buy ghost iron cheap and prospect into gems.
    Inscription: Have this maxed on an alt, cards are making very nice profit right now. Put in 1k a day to make a card, usually gives 2-7k profit. Currently, I have mats for ~1k glyphs which, considering how cheap it is to mill on my server, and how expensive glyphs are (30-100 each) I can make HUGE profit off this. I have 5 of every glyph I can make up at atime.
    Enchanting: Haven't bothered selling any enchants yet, I'm just sending BOE greens to my enchanter and selling the mats I get from it. Okayish money if you play enough.
    Alchemy: Not much money to be made on my server right now. Living Steel is actually a loss of profit if you buy the Trillium Bars where I'm at....I just sell the CD for 200-300g as an elixir master.
    Leatherworking: Selling enhancements is good money right now. I have at least 5 of each on the auction house at a time.
    Blacksmithing: Haven't bothered to level, looks like no profit if you have it on an 85 alt like me.
    Engineering: Haven't really checked, I'm sure you can make profit off the trinket
    Tailoring: Haven't leveled it, friend tells me he makes ~10k every few days off of selling epic gear.
    Herb/Mining/Skinning: Obvious profit to be made here, I'm too lazy to bother with farming professions however.

Thats my summary:
    For me, gold making is Jc>Inscription>Leatherworking>Enchanting>Alchemy>herb/skinning/mining>Blacksmithing.

TLDR: Go JC/Inscription

Edit: For JC, always be looking at meta gem prices. A lot of the time I can make up to 1k profit with a single cut if the AH market is in my favor.
    Last edited by daslops; 2012-10-15 at 02:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies, great ideas here.

Deleted
    Mine and herbing cheap and easy to level. Money onlu limited by how much you wnat to gather.
    When the ore price drops, then switch to alchemy for raiding, which will provide you with a steady income, but you should already be 100k+ by then.
    Everything is server dependant, but JC isnt he moneymaker it was and it involves playing the ah.

Disagree with Daslops above. You will find grief following his advice unless you really want to get involved in the ah on a serious basis.

The JC ore shuffle isnt worth as much as it used to be anymore.

I'm personally making some nice gold by buying 60 ghost iron bars for about 600g, transmuting that into living steel on my transmute master alchemist and then crafting a belt buckle out of the living steel, which sells for ~1300g. Nice 700g profit, not taking procs into account. Every trillium transmute proc saves me 100g, and every living steel proc is worth around 1.3k.
    Also keeping an eye on golden lotus and flask prices, bought some lotusses for a bit below 200g and sold flasks close to 400g each.
    Alchemy+blacksmithing is a great way to make a steady daily income, considering belt buckles will be needed for the entire xpack, as will living steel. Prices will drop a bit ofcourse, but I recon it'll leave you with 500g/day for about 2 minutes spent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never seem to make any money off of crafting professions. I've made hundreds of thousands off of mining and herbing though. Atm I'm stuck making no money because my farmer is still 85 -_-

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah View Post
    Hey guys,

First time posting in the professions forum as I am pretty new to the economical side of WoW. To be straight forward, I'm looking for a decent/consistent way to make some gold. My monk is 90 with no professions, and I'm looking for a bit of direction at the moment. I've been debating herb/mining, or maybe herb/alch, but as I mentioned I'm new to all of this, and don't really have prior profession experience/knowledge to go off of to influence a certain route. I'm not looking for a "play the auction house" reply, but rather specific advice of what is hot right now, and which professions might have better gold making perks than others. For example, darkmoon "season" is over, so that may not be a wise choice to level 1-600. Or if I went the alch route, do you specialize in xmutes or flasks? Any advice for my two profession slots would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Jewelcrafting and alchemy combo make money. I went from 2k to 260k in cata with these. I've already made over 100k with them in mop. Like the guy above said take ore and prospect it and sell the matts. As long as the ore is under 6 gold each you will make money. later on when golden lotus is alot cheaper you will be able to take the small gems and turn them into bigger gems with alchemy. Make sure you get transmution master and you can get free procs. In cata I used to take the small red gems that sold for 10 g each and transmute them into the big red gems that sold for 200 g each. Add in the free procs and you make lots of gold. I'm sure the same will happen in mop once the golden lotus price drops.

Good suggestions...
    I noticed the prizes overall dropped like crazy..
    even the MoP gems (lowbie) go very cheap atm.

I would say JC and Alch are your best choices in combo atm...I have multiple of each myself. You don't really have to play the AH to make money but you do need patience. Other posters above highlighted the reasons and I would agree. You can still make money with other professions but gems and pots and thins are almost always in high demand.

As a bonus way to make gold...take up farming with the tillers. While the prices will surely drop in time I'm making more money with this than I ever have before. If I had all 11 of my toons at 90 with the max amount of land plots and farmed for one year, I would make nearly 7 million gold with the current rates just farming food crops, assuming everything sold, and that would only take about 30 minutes a day, total. While I don't expect to make anywhere near that kind of gold, there is great potential in it. I've made a nice little fortune already.