Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Or did you think Global Warming's only effect is making you a bit warmer in winter?
    The only effect?

So far there haven't been any effects at all. I can read that X affects Y which causes Z but
    I have no deeper understanding of the matter so I have to base my opinion on the stuff that
    I can perceive myself.

And so far nothing has happened. Absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    The only effect?

So far there haven't been any effects at all.
    You didn't notice how the Arctic is only a few years away from being completely ice-free in summers?

10+ Year Old Account
    What, are you going for a "you don't have good solution therefore global warming is not real" fallacy?[COLOR="red"]
    Nope... I'm asking for your solution, or did you fail to read that, and you inserted your own words into what I asked.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

You didn't notice how the Arctic is only a few years away from being completely ice-free in summers?
    http://phys.org/news/2011-10-team-ar...elf-broke.html

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Nope... I'm asking for your solution, or did you fail to read that, and you inserted your own words into what I asked.
    What I failed to understand is why you jumped from a debate of "is it real?" straight into "how would you solve it - but I still don't believe it!". Or was it just an attempt to get around having to refute the points I raised?

I freely admit I don't have good solutions. I am not a public polcy planner or a climate scientist, I don't know how best to confront this crisis. I just know that we don't do it by pretending it isn't real.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 01:27 AM ----------

That's "broke up", not disappear. Also your logic is that "it happened before so it doesn't matter"? Is that it?

And I'm still waiting for you to refute the right graph. Or the fact that the article doesn't even agree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shockingly, no... I didn't notice. Haven't been there for a while.

And if it's only a few years away from being completely ice-free in summers it makes it sound
    it's already pretty "bad" and yet nothing has happened which would affect my life in any way...?

Quote Originally Posted by spaztom View Post
    But it's not!
    What's your evidence? Oh right, you don't have any.

Deleted
    Ha, the daily mail.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I failed to understand is why you jumped from a debate of "is it real?" straight into "how would you solve it - but I still don't believe it!". Or was it just an attempt to get around having to refute the points I raised?

I freely admit I don't have good solutions. I am not a public polcy planner or a climate scientist, I don't know how best to confront this crisis. I just know that we don't do it by pretending it isn't real.

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 01:27 AM ----------

That's "broke up", not disappear. Also your logic is that "it happened before so it doesn't matter"? Is that it?

And I'm still waiting for you to refute the right graph. Or the fact that the article doesn't even agree with you.
    I am pretty sure I agreed that climate change IS occuring... go back and look... what I have a quarrel with and I will repeat myself for your benefit... is the cause.

and for YOUR special benefit... I DO have a solution if its truly as earth shakingly man caused as your side wants to the masses to believe.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    And if it's only a few years away from being completely ice-free in summers it makes it sound
    it's already pretty "bad" and yet nothing has happened which would affect my life in any way...?
    Yeah, because you live in developed country with decently high ground that's not in danger of being swallowed up by the ocean. And you obviously don't care about the future of your children. So no, climate change, being a long term crisis for our species, doesn't affect your life.

But "it hasn't affected me personally" is not a good argument against the empirical evidence that something is real.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/fi...9/Figure21.png

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/fi...09/Figure1.png
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-10-15 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Global warming is bullshit. It's just to scare us.

We've had other things like that in the past. Anyone remember how big of a problem the hole in the ozone was? Or acid rain before that?
    They've been scaring us since forever. And we constantly buy their bullshit.

Now don't get me wrong. I do believe there is some sort of climate change going on. But I believe that's part of a natural cycle.
    It's not really something to be too worried about.
    Funny because scientists take it seriously.
    Just read an article where russian botanists are finding seeds and nuts hidden by ancient squirrels (30 000 years) in the permafrost and expect to find many more due to global warming. They managed to grow at least one of the seeds.
    Insurance companies take it into their predictions.
    The ozone layer would have been GONE had we need stopped using CFC gasses. Have you any idea about how potent a catalyst Flouride is to Ozone? It's basic flipping chemistry.

I am pretty sure I agreed that climate change IS occuring... go back and look... what I have a quarrel with and I will repeat myself for your benefit... is the cause.
    That's what I meant (anthropogenic climate change). Now how about you stop evading and start answering how you can possibly explain the most dramatic rise in temperatures in the history of our species, if not by acknolwedging the fact that greenhouse gases causes warming?

Deleted
    Why are we even debating this? It's the daily mail...

That's dailytrash for you.

What's pathetic is that people like the OP would take this incredibly terrible propaganda as definitive proof that global warming isn't real. And yet, they would turn their backs on the thousands upon thousands of meticulously researched scientific articles and dismiss them as "inconclusive" or some such nonsense.
    Study they agree with:
    LOOK THEY MADE A STUDY!

Study they dont agree with:
    This has to be taken with a grain of salt at best - or the more eloquent "THIS IS BULLSHIT"

---------- Post added 2012-10-15 at 03:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Wow lover likes the mop review on ign and thinks metacritic is trash. Wow hater is the exact opposite.

Welcome to the web, we establish the credibility of the messenger based on our approval/disapproval of the message.
    Yes and some take CNN seriously and others take Fox News seriously. Does that mean they are equal?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I meant (anthropogenic climate change). Now how about you stop evading and start answering how you can possibly explain the most dramatic rise in temperatures in the history of our species, if not by acknolwedging the fact that greenhouse gases causes warming?
    Okay... I'll jump on your wagon... pick a point in history where YOU think the climate was acceptable to your side... then share that with me... lets start there.

Okay... I'll jump on your wagon... pick a point in history where YOU think the climate was acceptable to your side... then share that with me... lets start there.
    You're still evading the question. How do you explain the unprecedented increase in global temperatures of the past century?

So, can someone tell whether the graph on that page is something directly from the report allegedly released by Met Office’s Hadley Centre and Prof Jones’s Climatic Research Unit or was created by someone from Daily Mail, based on some data that they took out of context?

Also, this:
    "From the start of 1997 until August 2012, however, figures released last week show the answer is zero: the trend, derived from the aggregate data collected from more than 3,000 worldwide measuring points, has been flat."

Has this been taken out of context and/or twisted as well or is it perhaps a blatant lie by Daily Mail? If it's neither, then I don't see the reason to doubt its credibility because it's from DM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, because you live in developed country with decently high ground that's not in danger of being swallowed up by the ocean. And you obviously don't care about the future of your children. So no, climate change, being a long term crisis for our species, doesn't affect your life.

But "it hasn't affected me personally" is not a good argument against the empirical evidence that something is real.
    There is no need for personal insults. Claiming I don't care for the human race or my future children because of not
    agreeing with you is kinda pathetic.

The earth has been around for ~4 500 000 000 years and here we have chunks of data from a time period of what... 30 years?
    The sample size isn't exactly optimal to determine if we are causing the planet to heat up or not.

I'm pretty sure Earth has hotter and colder times than we are currently experiencing and I highly doubt it's the first time the ice
    has melted. Maybe during our time on Earth but surely not the first time ever it's melting.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're still evading the question. How do you explain the unprecedented increase in global temperatures of the past century?
    not evading... the climate IS changing... what part of that are you BLOODY NOT UNDERSTANDING?... I cede that... I've said that since the bloody beginning... or have you failed to see that?...

as far as MY explaining it... I'm not the one that campaigning so vociferously for folks to believe my theory.

You are the one that is trying to push an agenda, not I... and since you continue to avoid even the most basic questions I find dealing with you less than entertaining.